Gingerbread for Infuse

Contributor

Gingerbread for Infuse

Hello,

I'm sure im not that only one that has posted this but does anyone by any chance or know something that I dont know on the amended release date for the infuse? It was supposed to be released in aug but it seems as if ATT has forgotten about us infuse owners. Any Ideas? Thanks!

Message 1 of 39 (7,895 Views)

Re: Gingerbread for Infuse

The I777 is your best bet short-term - basically, NEVER buy any phone from AT&T that doesn't have a close international sibling.

The I777 is in that category - it's almost identical to the I9100, Samsung's flagship.

Message 16 of 39 (2,806 Views)
Scholar

I777 = AT&T's Samsung Galaxy S II (non-LTE), correct?
Message 17 of 39 (2,809 Views)

I agree with Hank. I don't think it's very cool of AT&T to treat our device like an unwanted orphan. At least offer us a discounted upgrade to another device. They've literally turned their backs on the Infuse after hyping it up to be the next great thing to have.

Message 18 of 39 (2,800 Views)
Master

Seraphimprime wrote:

I agree with Hank. I don't think it's very cool of AT&T to treat our device like an unwanted orphan.

They treat every phone (except for iPhone) like unwanted orphan.

At least offer us a discounted upgrade to another device.

Why? You will simply complain the same thing on that other device. See above.

Message 19 of 39 (2,792 Views)

Correct - Galaxy S II, NOT the LTE Skyrocket.

Note that if you stick with official carrier firmware, no phone is going to be any better than another update-wise.  If you're willing to flash custom firmware, the I777 is your best bet.

Message 20 of 39 (2,781 Views)

If your phone is past the 1 year warranty mark, then as Entropy512 said..root it and load a custom rom on it.
Message 21 of 39 (3,860 Views)

Well, that's it for me and AT&T.  The Infuse was my first Android phone.  I will stick with Android but I am dumping AT&T like a bad relationship.  Their phone support is horrible.  My next phone will be AT&T free.

Message 22 of 39 (3,797 Views)

ivanthomson wrote:

Well, that's it for me and AT&T.  The Infuse was my first Android phone.  I will stick with Android but I am dumping AT&T like a bad relationship.  Their phone support is horrible.  My next phone will be AT&T free.

Better plan on moving out of North America - other carriers aren't much better unfortunately.

If you actually want a properly supported phone you've got to import, and AT&T is the only US carrier with frequency bands that international units (like the GT-I9100) ever support.

Message 23 of 39 (3,660 Views)
Contributor

rwhitesell wrote:

Since AT&T has not updated this phone do you think we could take it back because they haven't done what they said they were going to do?  Would probably get a different phone if att doesnt get gingerbread on this.

If you purchased your Infuse more than 30 days ago, there is no chance that AT&T will take it back. Trust me. I've had a few conversations with AT&T over my dissatisfaction with the Infuse and the best they can offer me is an earlier upgrade window, but I have to wait until at least 6 months in to my current contract (I'm at 4 now...I bought the Infuse in early August). And that may only be offered based on your history...I have a Family Plan with 5 lines, average $250+/month bill and have been with AT&T since 2005 (and Cingular before that). YMMV.

I went back to my old iPhone 3GS while I wait until I can upgrade (rather than pay a no-commitment price on a new phone) because I couldn't take the buggy freezes and issues I was having with the Android OS. 95% of the problems I had with the Infuse were things that I read were fixed/improved in Gingerbread and ICS. Frustrating. Disappointing.

Message 24 of 39 (3,062 Views)
Employee
Employee

Coming soon like in the movies....
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 25 of 39 (2,974 Views)
Contributor

Does AT&T read the forums?  A lot of customers are feeling like chumps for buying a forgotten product.  No official response on this issue from someone at AT&T who knows or cares?

Message 26 of 39 (2,871 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Remember- The louder the voice the more it is heard. If enough customers voice their disapproval to the lack of future updates to AT&T Android devices, we can get the powers that be to change for the better. Just a thought.

Message 27 of 39 (1,617 Views)
Teacher

thats true. But I don't think people are even aware that such an update is due for their devices.

When I call up the customer service even they are not aware of such announcement was made by ATT.

At the end the only thing that happens is that you get fed up of waiting too long to talk with a sensible rep.

The matter of the fact is that because of this a lot of customers who dared to go open source way will

turn to Apple products when they will be elligible for next update. Even though this is not actually Google's mistake. But truly what is the use of bringing a new Android OS when devices having sufficient h/w capability are not provided the required updates in time.

When I got android I thought it must be just like linux.. upgrade the kernel whenever you want; but the reality

seems much more complex(void the waranty). I am running another thread parallel to this forum so keep on complaining

about it ... till ATT succumbs or comes with an answer.

Message 28 of 39 (1,606 Views)

Really wish this update will come, I like the phone but regreating getting it with all this feet draging or what every ATT is doing. 

Message 29 of 39 (1,541 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Yeah... my wife has a Infuse... this waiting is annoying.

The experience is keeping me from buying my first AT&T smart phone.

I may as well wait to buy my first AT&T smart phone until they have multiple ones with ICS already on the phone (or ICS update 100% guaranteed released for other supported pre-Galaxy Nexus models).

Message 30 of 39 (1,543 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.