Posted Nov 9, 2011
1:38:42 PM
View profile
Gingerbread for Infuse

Hello,

I'm sure im not that only one that has posted this but does anyone by any chance or know something that I dont know on the amended release date for the infuse? It was supposed to be released in aug but it seems as if ATT has forgotten about us infuse owners. Any Ideas? Thanks!

Hello,

I'm sure im not that only one that has posted this but does anyone by any chance or know something that I dont know on the amended release date for the infuse? It was supposed to be released in aug but it seems as if ATT has forgotten about us infuse owners. Any Ideas? Thanks!

Gingerbread for Infuse

38 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(38)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2011 3:25:43 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by jcollake on Nov 9, 2011 at 3:27:11 PM

This has become something of a running joke. I've heard it is about to be released every month for the last several months. I've seen a few 'leaked' releases out there, but they obviously weren't the final build. The end answer is: Nobody knows. Whenever it is ready, I guess.

I would not be that eager though. Gingerbread is good, a nice change, but it isn't going to change your life - or your phone - in any way so substantial that you can't live without it. Also, remember, it does introduce the possibility of new problems, so there's always risk. Better they do take the time to make sure it is well tested, to be honest.

What gets me most is if I had waited another month I could have gotten AT&T's version of the Galaxy S II, even though its screen is slightly smaller than the Infuse's.

This has become something of a running joke. I've heard it is about to be released every month for the last several months. I've seen a few 'leaked' releases out there, but they obviously weren't the final build. The end answer is: Nobody knows. Whenever it is ready, I guess.

I would not be that eager though. Gingerbread is good, a nice change, but it isn't going to change your life - or your phone - in any way so substantial that you can't live without it. Also, remember, it does introduce the possibility of new problems, so there's always risk. Better they do take the time to make sure it is well tested, to be honest.

What gets me most is if I had waited another month I could have gotten AT&T's version of the Galaxy S II, even though its screen is slightly smaller than the Infuse's.

Re: Gingerbread for Infuse

[ Edited ]
2 of 39 (7,728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2011 8:00:19 PM
(0)
Voyager

Since AT&T has not updated this phone do you think we could take it back because they haven't done what they said they were going to do?  Would probably get a different phone if att doesnt get gingerbread on this.

Since AT&T has not updated this phone do you think we could take it back because they haven't done what they said they were going to do?  Would probably get a different phone if att doesnt get gingerbread on this.

3 of 39 (7,684 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 5:45:26 AM
(0)
Explorer

Google Android Product Manager Hugo Barra promises Google and partners (inluding Samsung and ATT)will update phones for 18 months in this clip. How dishonest can they be since he Infuse is 2 OSs behind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qlyG7cc8bA

IIRC, the Infuse was relased after this announcement was made.

Google Android Product Manager Hugo Barra promises Google and partners (inluding Samsung and ATT)will update phones for 18 months in this clip. How dishonest can they be since he Infuse is 2 OSs behind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qlyG7cc8bA

IIRC, the Infuse was relased after this announcement was made.

Broken Promises from Google, ATT & Samsung

4 of 39 (7,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 7:20:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have to agree with jcollake. Gingerbread is not the holy grail of operating systems. Maybe it has a few snappy options and some speed boosts here and there, but there's really nothing you can't live without. I've installed almost every leaked version of gingerbread there is and guess what I'm using now? Froyo!

From my experiences with different versions of GB, getting bluetooth to work seems to be one of the major problems with roms ported from other phone manufacturers. There are a few roms made from Samsung phones with working bluetooth, but they have their own problems. One of my favorite roms had working bluetooth audio, but my bluetooth keyboard didn't work. The roms made from non-Samsung phones have skipping bluetooth audio that sounds awful but the keyboard worked great. Samsung also implemented mouse support with their gingerbread roms, but a mouse pointer pops up in the middle of the screen when some keyboards are paired...and unless these keyboards have a mouse control, there's no way of moving the pointer out of the way or hiding it. That one drove me nuts. The non-Samsung roms did not have this problem.

Then there are the modded roms where all the icons and wallpapers and settings have been changed. These are fun for a day until you realize you miss the familiarity of what you've been used to and your phone begins to feel like a hacked mess. Those roms have their own share of problems as well.

Depending on your needs, you may find that upgrading to gingerbread may not be the best option. Personally, I think I'm going to stick with Froyo even after AT&T releases gingerbread. Rumor has it that the new Galaxy S2 Skyrocket is one of the only new phones that will be getting Ice Cream Sandwich. The Infuse will never get ICS. It's just too much work for an already outdated phone.

As far as an official GB release for Infuse...it's no longer a priority for AT&T. The missed release dates were an embarrassment and AT&T now has absolutely no comment on the subject. It will be done when it's done. If you've been good this year you might get it for Christmas, but most likely you'll see it first thing next year.

I have to agree with jcollake. Gingerbread is not the holy grail of operating systems. Maybe it has a few snappy options and some speed boosts here and there, but there's really nothing you can't live without. I've installed almost every leaked version of gingerbread there is and guess what I'm using now? Froyo!

From my experiences with different versions of GB, getting bluetooth to work seems to be one of the major problems with roms ported from other phone manufacturers. There are a few roms made from Samsung phones with working bluetooth, but they have their own problems. One of my favorite roms had working bluetooth audio, but my bluetooth keyboard didn't work. The roms made from non-Samsung phones have skipping bluetooth audio that sounds awful but the keyboard worked great. Samsung also implemented mouse support with their gingerbread roms, but a mouse pointer pops up in the middle of the screen when some keyboards are paired...and unless these keyboards have a mouse control, there's no way of moving the pointer out of the way or hiding it. That one drove me nuts. The non-Samsung roms did not have this problem.

Then there are the modded roms where all the icons and wallpapers and settings have been changed. These are fun for a day until you realize you miss the familiarity of what you've been used to and your phone begins to feel like a hacked mess. Those roms have their own share of problems as well.

Depending on your needs, you may find that upgrading to gingerbread may not be the best option. Personally, I think I'm going to stick with Froyo even after AT&T releases gingerbread. Rumor has it that the new Galaxy S2 Skyrocket is one of the only new phones that will be getting Ice Cream Sandwich. The Infuse will never get ICS. It's just too much work for an already outdated phone.

As far as an official GB release for Infuse...it's no longer a priority for AT&T. The missed release dates were an embarrassment and AT&T now has absolutely no comment on the subject. It will be done when it's done. If you've been good this year you might get it for Christmas, but most likely you'll see it first thing next year.

5 of 39 (7,629 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 7:42:01 AM
(0)
Scholar

My interest in Gingerbread for Infuse is that I have heard that with that update, the Infuse is better at auto-connecting to Wifi hotspots.... so that's why I am interested in it. (search +infuse +wifi in the Samsung forum).

I agree though that we shouldn't hold our breath on this. Sad, really. It's a shame that these updates can't occur in a timelier fashion. I blame AT&T. But most customers don't know about these updates, its a low priority. :smileysad:

My interest in Gingerbread for Infuse is that I have heard that with that update, the Infuse is better at auto-connecting to Wifi hotspots.... so that's why I am interested in it. (search +infuse +wifi in the Samsung forum).

I agree though that we shouldn't hold our breath on this. Sad, really. It's a shame that these updates can't occur in a timelier fashion. I blame AT&T. But most customers don't know about these updates, its a low priority. :smileysad:

6 of 39 (7,622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 7:58:47 AM
(0)
Guru

Gingerbread on the Infuse provides significant improvements in battery life, MAJOR improvements to wifi reliability, and allows for video chat in Google Talk.

It's a very important update.

Gingerbread on the Infuse provides significant improvements in battery life, MAJOR improvements to wifi reliability, and allows for video chat in Google Talk.

It's a very important update.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

7 of 39 (7,616 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 10:00:55 AM
(0)
Mentor

hope it happens market is fubarin due to thier new updates and froyo isnt liking it!

hope it happens market is fubarin due to thier new updates and froyo isnt liking it!

8 of 39 (7,595 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 3:14:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

Those of you that don't mind tinkering with your phones can easily find a GB ROM for it.  The whole update process lasts only 10-15 minutes and is painless.  In addition to improvements mentioned above GB update allows you to use Netflix as well as it enables video calling for Skype.

Those of you that don't mind tinkering with your phones can easily find a GB ROM for it.  The whole update process lasts only 10-15 minutes and is painless.  In addition to improvements mentioned above GB update allows you to use Netflix as well as it enables video calling for Skype.

9 of 39 (7,551 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 7:39:12 AM
(0)
Guru

chinefoo wrote:

Yeah, for the new market to work properly, an initramfs tweak has to be made in the kernel.

Took the Infuse community on XDA months to figure out a permanent solution - but we now have flawless large downloads.  :smileyhappy:

chinefoo wrote:

Yeah, for the new market to work properly, an initramfs tweak has to be made in the kernel.

Took the Infuse community on XDA months to figure out a permanent solution - but we now have flawless large downloads.  :smileyhappy:

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

10 of 39 (7,502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2011 8:30:24 AM
(0)
Contributor

I agree, for the difference in price I would have bought the S II even with the smaller screen.  I also read where the Infuse is not true 4g but the Galaxy S II is.  Another misrepresentation.  I think that ATT/Samsung is treating the Infuse like a step child now, when just in May it was the hot new product and one of the highest regarded smart phones on the market.  Even the guys at my local ATT store went to the Infuse, one from an IPhone and the other from a Droid Atrix.  I love my Infuse, and am very happy wiht it, but don't like being left out in the cold with updates that should be available to the phone.  It's one thing to buy a outdated phone, but I bought mine 4 months after release.

I agree, for the difference in price I would have bought the S II even with the smaller screen.  I also read where the Infuse is not true 4g but the Galaxy S II is.  Another misrepresentation.  I think that ATT/Samsung is treating the Infuse like a step child now, when just in May it was the hot new product and one of the highest regarded smart phones on the market.  Even the guys at my local ATT store went to the Infuse, one from an IPhone and the other from a Droid Atrix.  I love my Infuse, and am very happy wiht it, but don't like being left out in the cold with updates that should be available to the phone.  It's one thing to buy a outdated phone, but I bought mine 4 months after release.

11 of 39 (2,868 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2011 2:41:30 PM
(0)
Mentor

Sad thing is, according to ATT Online Chat, the phone is not outdated.  It just doesn't have Gingerbread...that does not make it outdated...this is what the rep told me today...very frustrating.

Sad thing is, according to ATT Online Chat, the phone is not outdated.  It just doesn't have Gingerbread...that does not make it outdated...this is what the rep told me today...very frustrating.

12 of 39 (2,831 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2011 9:30:09 AM
(0)
Employee
From what I understand, it is on the radar. Not sure when yet.
From what I understand, it is on the radar. Not sure when yet.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

13 of 39 (2,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2011 9:45:39 AM
(0)
Scholar

Wow... Infuse is just a penny now (with contract)... does that mean good things for getting Gingerbread on Infuse? Or are they dumping them now, and they aren't going to update Gingerbread?

Wow... Infuse is just a penny now (with contract)... does that mean good things for getting Gingerbread on Infuse? Or are they dumping them now, and they aren't going to update Gingerbread?

14 of 39 (2,769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2011 9:49:03 AM
(0)
Scholar
I'm leaning toward buying Samsung Galaxy S II (not LTE)... but I have been waiting to see what other phones are going to be released and what price reductions may occur during the holiday season.
I'm leaning toward buying Samsung Galaxy S II (not LTE)... but I have been waiting to see what other phones are going to be released and what price reductions may occur during the holiday season.

15 of 39 (2,769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2011 7:51:15 AM
(0)
Guru

The I777 is your best bet short-term - basically, NEVER buy any phone from AT&T that doesn't have a close international sibling.

The I777 is in that category - it's almost identical to the I9100, Samsung's flagship.

The I777 is your best bet short-term - basically, NEVER buy any phone from AT&T that doesn't have a close international sibling.

The I777 is in that category - it's almost identical to the I9100, Samsung's flagship.

16 of 39 (2,705 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2011 8:08:14 AM
(0)
Scholar
I777 = AT&T's Samsung Galaxy S II (non-LTE), correct?
I777 = AT&T's Samsung Galaxy S II (non-LTE), correct?

17 of 39 (2,708 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2011 9:09:43 AM
(0)
Mentor

I agree with Hank. I don't think it's very cool of AT&T to treat our device like an unwanted orphan. At least offer us a discounted upgrade to another device. They've literally turned their backs on the Infuse after hyping it up to be the next great thing to have.

I agree with Hank. I don't think it's very cool of AT&T to treat our device like an unwanted orphan. At least offer us a discounted upgrade to another device. They've literally turned their backs on the Infuse after hyping it up to be the next great thing to have.

18 of 39 (2,699 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2011 10:47:14 AM
(0)
Master

Seraphimprime wrote:

I agree with Hank. I don't think it's very cool of AT&T to treat our device like an unwanted orphan.

They treat every phone (except for iPhone) like unwanted orphan.

At least offer us a discounted upgrade to another device.

Why? You will simply complain the same thing on that other device. See above.

Seraphimprime wrote:

I agree with Hank. I don't think it's very cool of AT&T to treat our device like an unwanted orphan.

They treat every phone (except for iPhone) like unwanted orphan.

At least offer us a discounted upgrade to another device.

Why? You will simply complain the same thing on that other device. See above.

19 of 39 (2,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2011 12:17:29 PM
(0)
Guru

Correct - Galaxy S II, NOT the LTE Skyrocket.

Note that if you stick with official carrier firmware, no phone is going to be any better than another update-wise.  If you're willing to flash custom firmware, the I777 is your best bet.

Correct - Galaxy S II, NOT the LTE Skyrocket.

Note that if you stick with official carrier firmware, no phone is going to be any better than another update-wise.  If you're willing to flash custom firmware, the I777 is your best bet.

20 of 39 (2,680 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2011 6:33:07 PM
(0)
Teacher
If your phone is past the 1 year warranty mark, then as Entropy512 said..root it and load a custom rom on it.
If your phone is past the 1 year warranty mark, then as Entropy512 said..root it and load a custom rom on it.

21 of 39 (3,759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2011 8:55:22 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well, that's it for me and AT&T.  The Infuse was my first Android phone.  I will stick with Android but I am dumping AT&T like a bad relationship.  Their phone support is horrible.  My next phone will be AT&T free.

Well, that's it for me and AT&T.  The Infuse was my first Android phone.  I will stick with Android but I am dumping AT&T like a bad relationship.  Their phone support is horrible.  My next phone will be AT&T free.

22 of 39 (3,696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 7:40:00 AM
(0)
Guru

ivanthomson wrote:

Better plan on moving out of North America - other carriers aren't much better unfortunately.

If you actually want a properly supported phone you've got to import, and AT&T is the only US carrier with frequency bands that international units (like the GT-I9100) ever support.

ivanthomson wrote:

Better plan on moving out of North America - other carriers aren't much better unfortunately.

If you actually want a properly supported phone you've got to import, and AT&T is the only US carrier with frequency bands that international units (like the GT-I9100) ever support.

23 of 39 (3,559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2011 8:16:49 AM
(0)
Contributor

rwhitesell wrote:

If you purchased your Infuse more than 30 days ago, there is no chance that AT&T will take it back. Trust me. I've had a few conversations with AT&T over my dissatisfaction with the Infuse and the best they can offer me is an earlier upgrade window, but I have to wait until at least 6 months in to my current contract (I'm at 4 now...I bought the Infuse in early August). And that may only be offered based on your history...I have a Family Plan with 5 lines, average $250+/month bill and have been with AT&T since 2005 (and Cingular before that). YMMV.

I went back to my old iPhone 3GS while I wait until I can upgrade (rather than pay a no-commitment price on a new phone) because I couldn't take the buggy freezes and issues I was having with the Android OS. 95% of the problems I had with the Infuse were things that I read were fixed/improved in Gingerbread and ICS. Frustrating. Disappointing.

rwhitesell wrote:

If you purchased your Infuse more than 30 days ago, there is no chance that AT&T will take it back. Trust me. I've had a few conversations with AT&T over my dissatisfaction with the Infuse and the best they can offer me is an earlier upgrade window, but I have to wait until at least 6 months in to my current contract (I'm at 4 now...I bought the Infuse in early August). And that may only be offered based on your history...I have a Family Plan with 5 lines, average $250+/month bill and have been with AT&T since 2005 (and Cingular before that). YMMV.

I went back to my old iPhone 3GS while I wait until I can upgrade (rather than pay a no-commitment price on a new phone) because I couldn't take the buggy freezes and issues I was having with the Android OS. 95% of the problems I had with the Infuse were things that I read were fixed/improved in Gingerbread and ICS. Frustrating. Disappointing.

24 of 39 (2,961 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2011 12:39:05 PM
(0)
Employee
Coming soon like in the movies....
Coming soon like in the movies....
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

25 of 39 (2,873 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 9:39:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

Does AT&T read the forums?  A lot of customers are feeling like chumps for buying a forgotten product.  No official response on this issue from someone at AT&T who knows or cares?

Does AT&T read the forums?  A lot of customers are feeling like chumps for buying a forgotten product.  No official response on this issue from someone at AT&T who knows or cares?

26 of 39 (2,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 10:00:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

Remember- The louder the voice the more it is heard. If enough customers voice their disapproval to the lack of future updates to AT&T Android devices, we can get the powers that be to change for the better. Just a thought.

Remember- The louder the voice the more it is heard. If enough customers voice their disapproval to the lack of future updates to AT&T Android devices, we can get the powers that be to change for the better. Just a thought.

27 of 39 (1,516 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 12:06:27 AM
(0)
Teacher

thats true. But I don't think people are even aware that such an update is due for their devices.

When I call up the customer service even they are not aware of such announcement was made by ATT.

At the end the only thing that happens is that you get fed up of waiting too long to talk with a sensible rep.

The matter of the fact is that because of this a lot of customers who dared to go open source way will

turn to Apple products when they will be elligible for next update. Even though this is not actually Google's mistake. But truly what is the use of bringing a new Android OS when devices having sufficient h/w capability are not provided the required updates in time.

When I got android I thought it must be just like linux.. upgrade the kernel whenever you want; but the reality

seems much more complex(void the waranty). I am running another thread parallel to this forum so keep on complaining

about it ... till ATT succumbs or comes with an answer.

thats true. But I don't think people are even aware that such an update is due for their devices.

When I call up the customer service even they are not aware of such announcement was made by ATT.

At the end the only thing that happens is that you get fed up of waiting too long to talk with a sensible rep.

The matter of the fact is that because of this a lot of customers who dared to go open source way will

turn to Apple products when they will be elligible for next update. Even though this is not actually Google's mistake. But truly what is the use of bringing a new Android OS when devices having sufficient h/w capability are not provided the required updates in time.

When I got android I thought it must be just like linux.. upgrade the kernel whenever you want; but the reality

seems much more complex(void the waranty). I am running another thread parallel to this forum so keep on complaining

about it ... till ATT succumbs or comes with an answer.

28 of 39 (1,505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 7:07:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

Really wish this update will come, I like the phone but regreating getting it with all this feet draging or what every ATT is doing. 

Really wish this update will come, I like the phone but regreating getting it with all this feet draging or what every ATT is doing. 

29 of 39 (1,440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 7:15:22 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Evil_Homer on Dec 29, 2011 at 7:16:23 PM

Yeah... my wife has a Infuse... this waiting is annoying.

The experience is keeping me from buying my first AT&T smart phone.

I may as well wait to buy my first AT&T smart phone until they have multiple ones with ICS already on the phone (or ICS update 100% guaranteed released for other supported pre-Galaxy Nexus models).

Yeah... my wife has a Infuse... this waiting is annoying.

The experience is keeping me from buying my first AT&T smart phone.

I may as well wait to buy my first AT&T smart phone until they have multiple ones with ICS already on the phone (or ICS update 100% guaranteed released for other supported pre-Galaxy Nexus models).

[ Edited ]
30 of 39 (1,442 Views)