Gingerbread for Infuse

Contributor

Gingerbread for Infuse

Hello,

I'm sure im not that only one that has posted this but does anyone by any chance or know something that I dont know on the amended release date for the infuse? It was supposed to be released in aug but it seems as if ATT has forgotten about us infuse owners. Any Ideas? Thanks!

Message 1 of 39
Tutor

Re: Gingerbread for Infuse

This has become something of a running joke. I've heard it is about to be released every month for the last several months. I've seen a few 'leaked' releases out there, but they obviously weren't the final build. The end answer is: Nobody knows. Whenever it is ready, I guess.

I would not be that eager though. Gingerbread is good, a nice change, but it isn't going to change your life - or your phone - in any way so substantial that you can't live without it. Also, remember, it does introduce the possibility of new problems, so there's always risk. Better they do take the time to make sure it is well tested, to be honest.

What gets me most is if I had waited another month I could have gotten AT&T's version of the Galaxy S II, even though its screen is slightly smaller than the Infuse's.

Message 2 of 39
Voyager

Since AT&T has not updated this phone do you think we could take it back because they haven't done what they said they were going to do?  Would probably get a different phone if att doesnt get gingerbread on this.

Message 3 of 39
Explorer

Broken Promises from Google, ATT & Samsung

Google Android Product Manager Hugo Barra promises Google and partners (inluding Samsung and ATT)will update phones for 18 months in this clip. How dishonest can they be since he Infuse is 2 OSs behind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qlyG7cc8bA

IIRC, the Infuse was relased after this announcement was made.

Message 4 of 39
Highlighted
Mentor

I have to agree with jcollake. Gingerbread is not the holy grail of operating systems. Maybe it has a few snappy options and some speed boosts here and there, but there's really nothing you can't live without. I've installed almost every leaked version of gingerbread there is and guess what I'm using now? Froyo!

From my experiences with different versions of GB, getting bluetooth to work seems to be one of the major problems with roms ported from other phone manufacturers. There are a few roms made from Samsung phones with working bluetooth, but they have their own problems. One of my favorite roms had working bluetooth audio, but my bluetooth keyboard didn't work. The roms made from non-Samsung phones have skipping bluetooth audio that sounds awful but the keyboard worked great. Samsung also implemented mouse support with their gingerbread roms, but a mouse pointer pops up in the middle of the screen when some keyboards are paired...and unless these keyboards have a mouse control, there's no way of moving the pointer out of the way or hiding it. That one drove me nuts. The non-Samsung roms did not have this problem.

Then there are the modded roms where all the icons and wallpapers and settings have been changed. These are fun for a day until you realize you miss the familiarity of what you've been used to and your phone begins to feel like a hacked mess. Those roms have their own share of problems as well.

Depending on your needs, you may find that upgrading to gingerbread may not be the best option. Personally, I think I'm going to stick with Froyo even after AT&T releases gingerbread. Rumor has it that the new Galaxy S2 Skyrocket is one of the only new phones that will be getting Ice Cream Sandwich. The Infuse will never get ICS. It's just too much work for an already outdated phone.

As far as an official GB release for Infuse...it's no longer a priority for AT&T. The missed release dates were an embarrassment and AT&T now has absolutely no comment on the subject. It will be done when it's done. If you've been good this year you might get it for Christmas, but most likely you'll see it first thing next year.

Message 5 of 39
Scholar

My interest in Gingerbread for Infuse is that I have heard that with that update, the Infuse is better at auto-connecting to Wifi hotspots.... so that's why I am interested in it. (search +infuse +wifi in the Samsung forum).

I agree though that we shouldn't hold our breath on this. Sad, really. It's a shame that these updates can't occur in a timelier fashion. I blame AT&T. But most customers don't know about these updates, its a low priority. Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 39

Gingerbread on the Infuse provides significant improvements in battery life, MAJOR improvements to wifi reliability, and allows for video chat in Google Talk.

It's a very important update.

Message 7 of 39
Mentor

hope it happens market is fubarin due to thier new updates and froyo isnt liking it!

Message 8 of 39

Those of you that don't mind tinkering with your phones can easily find a GB ROM for it.  The whole update process lasts only 10-15 minutes and is painless.  In addition to improvements mentioned above GB update allows you to use Netflix as well as it enables video calling for Skype.

Message 9 of 39

chinefoo wrote:

hope it happens market is fubarin due to thier new updates and froyo isnt liking it!

Yeah, for the new market to work properly, an initramfs tweak has to be made in the kernel.

Took the Infuse community on XDA months to figure out a permanent solution - but we now have flawless large downloads.  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 39
Contributor

I agree, for the difference in price I would have bought the S II even with the smaller screen.  I also read where the Infuse is not true 4g but the Galaxy S II is.  Another misrepresentation.  I think that ATT/Samsung is treating the Infuse like a step child now, when just in May it was the hot new product and one of the highest regarded smart phones on the market.  Even the guys at my local ATT store went to the Infuse, one from an IPhone and the other from a Droid Atrix.  I love my Infuse, and am very happy wiht it, but don't like being left out in the cold with updates that should be available to the phone.  It's one thing to buy a outdated phone, but I bought mine 4 months after release.

Message 11 of 39
Mentor

Sad thing is, according to ATT Online Chat, the phone is not outdated.  It just doesn't have Gingerbread...that does not make it outdated...this is what the rep told me today...very frustrating.

Message 12 of 39
Employee
Employee

From what I understand, it is on the radar. Not sure when yet.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 13 of 39
Scholar

Wow... Infuse is just a penny now (with contract)... does that mean good things for getting Gingerbread on Infuse? Or are they dumping them now, and they aren't going to update Gingerbread?

Message 14 of 39
Scholar

I'm leaning toward buying Samsung Galaxy S II (not LTE)... but I have been waiting to see what other phones are going to be released and what price reductions may occur during the holiday season.
Message 15 of 39
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support