Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 7, 2011
9:12:11 AM
View profile
Gift Cards not accepted on pre-orders

Just a warning to you all.

My mom bought me $200 of AT&T gift cards (no Apple store by her) for my birthday in April, figuring she'd help me with my next iPhone. Of course, I kept hoping for a new phone and have held out until now.

I stayed up last night to pre-order. I tried online, and couldn't get it to work, and I look at the gift card and it says in the fine print only good for use in-store. Silly me, not reading all of the fine print. So I went to the store this morning, was second in line, and the rep asked his manager if gift cards would work. He said yes, so we went through the whole process and got to check out, they scanned the gift cards and they didn't work. Then another manager told the guy that they couldn't be used on pre-orders (direct fulfillment is the term they used) and I would have to come back next week. And gift cards won't work on bills (says on the cards). So if I pre-order with my own money I have $200 worth of gift cards to use on... accessories? Lame lame lame lame. They wasted my time online, in store, and I don't have a pre-order to show for it. Next week I guess I'll have to fight the crowds and go try to get a iPhone 4s. AT&T takes the money for the gift card, holds it for six months, and then you're very limited on how you can use it.

Just a warning to you all.

My mom bought me $200 of AT&T gift cards (no Apple store by her) for my birthday in April, figuring she'd help me with my next iPhone. Of course, I kept hoping for a new phone and have held out until now.

I stayed up last night to pre-order. I tried online, and couldn't get it to work, and I look at the gift card and it says in the fine print only good for use in-store. Silly me, not reading all of the fine print. So I went to the store this morning, was second in line, and the rep asked his manager if gift cards would work. He said yes, so we went through the whole process and got to check out, they scanned the gift cards and they didn't work. Then another manager told the guy that they couldn't be used on pre-orders (direct fulfillment is the term they used) and I would have to come back next week. And gift cards won't work on bills (says on the cards). So if I pre-order with my own money I have $200 worth of gift cards to use on... accessories? Lame lame lame lame. They wasted my time online, in store, and I don't have a pre-order to show for it. Next week I guess I'll have to fight the crowds and go try to get a iPhone 4s. AT&T takes the money for the gift card, holds it for six months, and then you're very limited on how you can use it.

Gift Cards not accepted on pre-orders

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 1:50:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

Just use it to buy the phone when it arrives instore and is not a pre order

Just use it to buy the phone when it arrives instore and is not a pre order

Re: Gift Cards not accepted on pre-orders

2 of 7 (323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 4:53:55 PM
(0)
Voyager

That's what I'm going to do, but it was mostly quiet today, and I was second there for having only got there 10 mins before open. I wasn't looking to fight the crowds next week to get (I'm assuming it will be crazy) or lining up early. Plus, a manager said I could and then it didn't work, so it was a displeasing experience.

That's what I'm going to do, but it was mostly quiet today, and I was second there for having only got there 10 mins before open. I wasn't looking to fight the crowds next week to get (I'm assuming it will be crazy) or lining up early. Plus, a manager said I could and then it didn't work, so it was a displeasing experience.

3 of 7 (312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 8:54:42 AM
(0)
Expert

unaffirmed wrote:

not accepting gift cards online for pre-orders is nothing unusual, even Amazon will not do that on pre-release books, since a prerelease order inormally cannot be charged before product ships there is no certainty that the gift card will still be valid and have the funds required on it still.  Nothing at all out of the ordinary

unaffirmed wrote:

not accepting gift cards online for pre-orders is nothing unusual, even Amazon will not do that on pre-release books, since a prerelease order inormally cannot be charged before product ships there is no certainty that the gift card will still be valid and have the funds required on it still.  Nothing at all out of the ordinary

4 of 7 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 9:40:30 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by hnzw_rui on Oct 8, 2011 at 9:41:11 AM

wingrider01 wrote:

That's interesting. I've had no problems using gift cards for my Amazon pre-orders. However, I do apply the gift card to my account and I think they already deduct the amount from the gift certificate balance on the account right away. If you just apply the gift card on the order page, though, yeah, they might not accept that.

wingrider01 wrote:

That's interesting. I've had no problems using gift cards for my Amazon pre-orders. However, I do apply the gift card to my account and I think they already deduct the amount from the gift certificate balance on the account right away. If you just apply the gift card on the order page, though, yeah, they might not accept that.

[ Edited ]
5 of 7 (297 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 4:05:55 AM
(0)
Expert

hnzw_rui wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

will have to dig through archiuvd email;s but I queried them and the response was only if there was a qualified credit card attached to the account would they allow pre-orders, if I can't find the email will send the query again for another reponse.

Yes I have a large gift card balance on my amazon account since I use a kindle 3g for when I travel and purchase books quite often

hnzw_rui wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

will have to dig through archiuvd email;s but I queried them and the response was only if there was a qualified credit card attached to the account would they allow pre-orders, if I can't find the email will send the query again for another reponse.

Yes I have a large gift card balance on my amazon account since I use a kindle 3g for when I travel and purchase books quite often

6 of 7 (287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 9:08:04 AM
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

Ah, that may be why. I do have a credit card associated with the account (the Amazon-branded one Smiley Wink).

wingrider01 wrote:

Ah, that may be why. I do have a credit card associated with the account (the Amazon-branded one Smiley Wink).

7 of 7 (277 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments