Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 14, 2011
8:02:26 AM
Getting a 3G MicroCell working with a Router. Should work for any Router Linksys, D-Link, Netgear

Here is a simple trick that should allow the MicroCell to work and Activate behind any Basic Router.  Anything from a SonicWall to a D-Link.  Mine is a Cisco Linksys RV220W, and the answer is so simple, where everyone gets lost in the details, the answer is a basic one.

Configure a port on the Router as a DMZ, ( Demilitarized Zone ) and plug the MicroCell into the DMZ port.  Everything should sync up and work from that point.  The DMZ port by-passes all of the Firewall filtering and protection for the network, it allows the MicroCell to access anything thatr is needed to work.

Here is a simple trick that should allow the MicroCell to work and Activate behind any Basic Router.  Anything from a SonicWall to a D-Link.  Mine is a Cisco Linksys RV220W, and the answer is so simple, where everyone gets lost in the details, the answer is a basic one.

Configure a port on the Router as a DMZ, ( Demilitarized Zone ) and plug the MicroCell into the DMZ port.  Everything should sync up and work from that point.  The DMZ port by-passes all of the Firewall filtering and protection for the network, it allows the MicroCell to access anything thatr is needed to work.

Getting a 3G MicroCell working with a Router. Should work for any Router Linksys, D-Link, Netgear

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 6:02:14 PM
(0)
Contributor
Can u tell me how to do that?
Can u tell me how to do that?

Re: Getting a 3G MicroCell working with a Router. Should work for any Router Linksys, D-Link, Netge

2 of 3 (1,021 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 5:39:39 AM
(0)
Tutor

Candidly, that would depend on which router you have.  It should  be documented in your router manual.

Some have a DMZ hardwired, others you must define in the router setup.  At that point it becomes a bit mor tricky, you will need the MAC addresss of the MicroCell and review the devices connected to your router in order to get the IP address assigned to the MicroCell..

At this point you want to assign the microcell that same IP reservation in the router so that it doesn't change on you through DHCP.  Next you want to define that IP Address in your router as the DMZ..

Give me the model and brand of router and I can try to help you further..

John

Candidly, that would depend on which router you have.  It should  be documented in your router manual.

Some have a DMZ hardwired, others you must define in the router setup.  At that point it becomes a bit mor tricky, you will need the MAC addresss of the MicroCell and review the devices connected to your router in order to get the IP address assigned to the MicroCell..

At this point you want to assign the microcell that same IP reservation in the router so that it doesn't change on you through DHCP.  Next you want to define that IP Address in your router as the DMZ..

Give me the model and brand of router and I can try to help you further..

John

Re: Getting a 3G MicroCell working with a Router. Should work for any Router Linksys, D-Link, Netge

3 of 3 (999 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments