General phone question

Contributor

General phone question

My friend got a new Evo today-and I am wondering what in the AT&T line compares to this phones features.  I have a Pantech Impact and I like the phone-but-I want a phone I can add apps to, watch TV on-text-talk web and all the fun stuff her phone can do.  Is there one that comes close?  I have been really disappointed in my phone choices frorm AT&T-please someone help me out.  Thanks

Message 1 of 9

Re: General phone question

You're basically looking for a smartphone.  Pretty much any modern smartphone can do the things you mention.  You can see all of AT&T's current smartphones here.

As for finding something more similar to the Evo, I can give a couple of pointers.  The Evo runs on the Android operating system (I believe version 2.2, or maybe 2.1).  Another Android phone will be more similar to the Evo than, say, a Windows Mobile or Blackberry phone.  This has less to do with what the phone does than with how it does it.  If you like how the Evo looks and feels, you probably want Android.

Right now, Android on AT&T means Motorola Backflip, Samsung Captivate, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, or HTC Aria.  The Backflip runs an older version of Android than the others and wouldn't really be comparable to your friend's Evo.  As long as the available software update installs correctly, I've heard very good things about the Captivate.  I don't know much about the X10.  The Aria is made by the same company that makes the Evo, although it's designed to be a physically smaller phone.

I hope that's enough to get you started.  Someone who knows more about the phones might give some more specific direction, but in the end it's important to do your own research.  Compare features.  Read reviews.  Make an informed decision.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 9
Scholar

The previous post is a very good & accurate answer. I just wanted to give a little add from personal experience with a few of the phones.

I have the Backflip now and would not recommend it currently; at least not until it gets it's update to Android 2.1. But, that's as far as it will go as it can't handle anything higher due to hardware limitations. The 2.1 update has been pushed back again, so we're still hoping it comes through at all as it's been a long time promised/coming. Right now the phone just has too many quirks and problems. Who knows if the 2.1 update will even fix those; it's an aging phone and aging hardware even with the update.

If you can use a touch screen only keyboard on a smaller form factor, then I would say go with the HTC Aria. It has the Sense UI that makes HTC (like the EVO) one of the most attractive Android interfaces, in my opinion. The other only downside I see to the Aria is it's smaller/slower processor. It's possible it might not see many more updates to the OS, but it's running a more recent version already. Customer reviews are all generally good on the Aria.

The Samsung Captivate is currently the 'high-end' choice on AT&T, but it's had some issues and Samsung has completely skinned the stock Android look, so it'll look almost nothing like the EVO, if that's what you're looking for. It won't quite stack up to other high-end phone like the EVO, but otherwise, I think the Captivate can hold it's own.

Sony, Sony, Sony... what can I say? Good hardware and specs... poor software drags it down. It should be better than it is, but it just isn't. Still waiting on updates on this one as well. Won't go past 2.1 or 2.2 more than likely, but we'll see.

2.2 is the big deal right now if you surf the 'real' web on your phone and want to view Adobe Flash material. It's the first version of the OS that has full 10.1 Flash capability. BUT, how well it runs depends on the phones hardware as well.

So, there are my opinions for what they're worth.

Message 3 of 9
Scholar

To get the closest feel to an Evo software wise, you would have to look at the HTC Aria.  As stated before this phone is made by the same company that makes the Evo.    It run Android 2.1 and the Sense Interface on the HTC Aria will be very similar to the Evo.  It is considerably smaller then the Evo so if you like the size of the Evo, you will be dissapointed in the size of the Aria.

If you want a phone closer to the size of the Evo, then you will have the Samsung Captivate.  This phone is not at large as the Evo, but its screen size is very close.  It runs Android 2.1 as well but since it is made by a different manufacturer, the interface will be different.  You will still be able to scroll the screen from side to side, but you will not have the ability to pinch the screens into one view.  There have also been issues with the GPS.

If the OS does not matter to you, you could also get an iPhone.  You won't be able to customize as much, but it offers a nice phone experience.  My wife loves hers.

Message 4 of 9
Master

UHmump95 wrote:

To get the closest feel to an Evo software wise, you would have to look at the HTC Aria.  As stated before this phone is made by the same company that makes the Evo.    It run Android 2.1 and the Sense Interface on the HTC Aria will be very similar to the Evo.  It is considerably smaller then the Evo so if you like the size of the Evo, you will be dissapointed in the size of the Aria.

If you want a phone closer to the size of the Evo, then you will have the Samsung Captivate.  This phone is not at large as the Evo, but its screen size is very close.  It runs Android 2.1 as well but since it is made by a different manufacturer, the interface will be different.  You will still be able to scroll the screen from side to side, but you will not have the ability to pinch the screens into one view.  There have also been issues with the GPS.

If the OS does not matter to you, you could also get an iPhone.  You won't be able to customize as much, but it offers a nice phone experience.  My wife loves hers.

While reading this thread, I agree with what UHmump95 has said and suggested.

The HTC Aria and the Samsung Captivate are the closest things that you are going to get to the EVO. I would honestly recommend the Captivate, for its larger screen size and AMOLED screen, but the Aria is another good choice.

For the Aria, you can't really get closer to the EVO than by the manufacturer who makes them - HTC.

Samsung phones are pretty much all the same; designed similarly, even on different providers. I have a Samsung Mythic, and my sister has the Solstice. They all are pretty much the same as in terms of operating and style of menus, appps, etc. My Mom has a Samsung Reality on Verizon. That too, is similar to our Samsung's.

Maybe the Captivate is different from its other "cousins" because it's a Galaxy S phone, but I would expect it to be similar to the Mythic and Solstice's menus and functions.

I have not played around ith either of suggested devices, but have heard both positive and negative reviews about each of them.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 5 of 9
Master

shellyjshay wrote:

My friend got a new Evo today-and I am wondering what in the AT&T line compares to this phones features.  I have a Pantech Impact and I like the phone-but-I want a phone I can add apps to, watch TV on-text-talk web and all the fun stuff her phone can do.  Is there one that comes close?  I have been really disappointed in my phone choices frorm AT&T-please someone help me out.  Thanks

Also, keep in mind that switching from your Pantech Impact to a newer smartphone will require you to add on a mandatory data plan to your account. This will run you an extra $15 or $25 a month on your billing statement.

Just clarifying, if you're not already aware.

Message 6 of 9
Contributor

Thanks everyone for helping me out.  It seems like a huge company like AT$T would have some great phones and top of the line too.  I always see my friends (who are on other networks) with the coolest phones that just come out-I rarely see AT&T on TV with the cool phones.  But this information has truely helped.  Thanks Again.

Message 7 of 9
Master

shellyjshay wrote:

Thanks everyone for helping me out.  It seems like a huge company like AT$T would have some great phones and top of the line too.  I always see my friends (who are on other networks) with the coolest phones that just come out-I rarely see AT&T on TV with the cool phones.  But this information has truely helped.  Thanks Again.

You're very welcome. Happy we could all assist you. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Guru

AT&T has some new Windows 7 phones coming out within the next month or so.  They aren't Android, but you might want to take a look at them when they are released.

Message 9 of 9
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support