Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 24, 2011
6:09:11 AM
View profile
GalaxyII / Marines / ATT = Fail
Edited by Marine142 on Dec 24, 2011 at 6:09:57 AM

Hello,

I would like to warn potential GalaxyII purchasers who are military about the ATT 2g data limit applied to your data plan.

I have 5 phones on my account (3 iPhones). and its been great so far till now

My youngest son recently joined the USMC so we wanted to upgrade his phone to a smartphone but NOT an iPhone b/c he wont have itunes available to plug the phone into for updates and such.

So we got him the GalaxyII and wow that thing sucks data fast.  He's in his A school now (they take phones away during the week) and still exceeds the data limit within 20 days of the period.  I keep on his butt about it and even send him links to apps that will monitor/limit the data.  still exceeds data every mo.

2g data for these phones is total fail.  good job att.  I guess we'll be moving to an unlimited plan company when possible.

Hello,

I would like to warn potential GalaxyII purchasers who are military about the ATT 2g data limit applied to your data plan.

My youngest son recently joined the USMC so we wanted to upgrade his phone to a smartphone but NOT an iPhone b/c he wont have itunes available to plug the phone into for updates and such.

So we got him the GalaxyII and wow that thing sucks data fast.  He's in his A school now (they take phones away during the week) and still exceeds the data limit within 20 days of the period.  I keep on his butt about it and even send him links to apps that will monitor/limit the data.  still exceeds data every mo.

2g data for these phones is total fail.  good job att.  I guess we'll be moving to an unlimited plan company when possible.

GalaxyII / Marines / ATT = Fail

[ Edited ]
5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2011 8:37:59 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Dec 24, 2011 at 8:40:10 AM

Marine142 wrote:

Hello,

Of the top three, your only choice is sprint, verizon got rid of their unlimited awhile back. If you can;t get coverage for srpint, I think cricket still has a throttle unlimited data plan for smartphones also

The phone itself does not "suck data" it is the apps and how they are used. Not sure if they have wireless avaialable to them but that would help

Marine142 wrote:

Hello,

Of the top three, your only choice is sprint, verizon got rid of their unlimited awhile back. If you can;t get coverage for srpint, I think cricket still has a throttle unlimited data plan for smartphones also

The phone itself does not "suck data" it is the apps and how they are used. Not sure if they have wireless avaialable to them but that would help

Re: GalaxyII / Marines / ATT = Fail

[ Edited ]
2 of 6 (368 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2011 2:38:26 AM
(0)
Teacher

well he must be using his phone alot, the S2 doesnt use more data than the iphone.. i suggest you tell him to turn WiFi on and use it whenever possible.. that what we do while hom etc...'

and another thing, you could have gotten him the iphone, with iOS 5 you dont need a PC to sync with to update or backup.. that was one of the huge upgrade to Ios the other month.. 

well he must be using his phone alot, the S2 doesnt use more data than the iphone.. i suggest you tell him to turn WiFi on and use it whenever possible.. that what we do while hom etc...'

and another thing, you could have gotten him the iphone, with iOS 5 you dont need a PC to sync with to update or backup.. that was one of the huge upgrade to Ios the other month.. 

3 of 6 (331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2011 12:47:00 PM
(0)
Guru

There is one exception to this - the AP Mobile widget that AT&T insists on adding to the GS2 will randomly decide to start eating tons of data.

If your son can narrow down the usage problem to this widget, people have successfully been refunded for their overages caused by this widget.

There's a long thread on the AP Mobile data problem on these forums.  Unfortunately the only way to fix the problem without voiding your warranty causes all sorts of other problems (see the thread about the UCKK2 2.3.6 OTA update).

Thanks to AT&T's stupid firmware update policies and insistence on mangling their phones, the only real way to get a properly functioning phone is to void the warranty by rooting the phone and then nuking the AP Mobile widget.

My highest data usage so far this year was 401 MB in August (that was on my Infuse).  My highest usage since getting the GS2 has been 222 MB.

That's with gmail, Google Talk, Facebook, and tethering my Tab 10.1 to play Parallell Kingdom and browse xda-developers.com with Tapatalk.

There is one exception to this - the AP Mobile widget that AT&T insists on adding to the GS2 will randomly decide to start eating tons of data.

If your son can narrow down the usage problem to this widget, people have successfully been refunded for their overages caused by this widget.

There's a long thread on the AP Mobile data problem on these forums.  Unfortunately the only way to fix the problem without voiding your warranty causes all sorts of other problems (see the thread about the UCKK2 2.3.6 OTA update).

Thanks to AT&T's stupid firmware update policies and insistence on mangling their phones, the only real way to get a properly functioning phone is to void the warranty by rooting the phone and then nuking the AP Mobile widget.

My highest data usage so far this year was 401 MB in August (that was on my Infuse).  My highest usage since getting the GS2 has been 222 MB.

That's with gmail, Google Talk, Facebook, and tethering my Tab 10.1 to play Parallell Kingdom and browse xda-developers.com with Tapatalk.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

4 of 6 (303 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2011 3:28:52 PM
(0)
Teacher
I've had the gs2 since its release, and I'm a very heavy user, and have no problems with my 2gig cap. I'm close to hitting it this month, but it's my own fault. And that's okay with me. So far, with 3 days left in my billing cycle, I have used 1.7 gigs data and 7.1 gigs over wifi.

I suggest maybe having him turn off his ap mobile widget if he has that running on any of his 7 homescreens.
I've had the gs2 since its release, and I'm a very heavy user, and have no problems with my 2gig cap. I'm close to hitting it this month, but it's my own fault. And that's okay with me. So far, with 3 days left in my billing cycle, I have used 1.7 gigs data and 7.1 gigs over wifi.

I suggest maybe having him turn off his ap mobile widget if he has that running on any of his 7 homescreens.

5 of 6 (292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2011 7:57:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

thanks.. will look into the Ap widget thing..

thanks.. will look into the Ap widget thing..

6 of 6 (207 Views)