Galaxy SII i777 ICS update?

Tutor

Galaxy SII i777 ICS update?

When is AT&T gunna send out 4.0.3 update for the Galaxy SII i777 this is taking forever. for at&t to hold back this update for as long as they have is rediculous and to not even give us a date or any details on the release is horrible customer service imo

Message 1 of 7 (2,651 Views)

Re: Galaxy SII i777 ICS update?

jaymez369 wrote:

When is AT&T gunna send out 4.0.3 update for the Galaxy SII i777 this is taking forever. for at&t to hold back this update for as long as they have is rediculous and to not even give us a date or any details on the release is horrible customer service imo

No one ever gives release dates.  Sometimes last-minute technical problems arise, especially when a carrier like AT&T wants to mangle/cripple the firmware.

It's possible (and not difficult) to run international I9100 firmwares on the I777, and in fact I had it working within a week of the I9100 kernel source code release.  (Check the XDA I777 forums).

Without any doubt, you DO NOT want the current ICS leaks.  Samsung's ICS kernels for every Exynos device but the I9100 have a significant chance of causing permanent hardware damage if you do a wipe data/factory reset on them.  It's confirmed for the I777 UCLD3 leak (more hardbricks in 2 days from that release than in 6-7 months of custom firmware development on XDA) and it's unfortunately also confirmed for the international Galaxy Note's official XXLPY release.

Given AT&T's past track record, expect January 2013.  See the Infuse and the Captivate - Captivate was around 9 months delayed from the I9000 for Gingerbread, despite the XDA community only taking a few weeks to have I9000 releases fully working on the Cappy.

Message 2 of 7 (2,644 Views)
Tutor

yea i have read on xda about the bad ics kernels and this is why i dont wanna take the chance of rooting, but if xda developers can have an up and running version of 4.0.3 in a few days why does at&t take months with tons of developers who get paid to do this kind of stuff for a living it doesnt make sense

Message 3 of 7 (2,633 Views)
Tutor

and arent you one of the devs?

Message 4 of 7 (2,622 Views)

Yeah, I am.  I'm the one that spent a Saturday reverse-engineering the microphone control code to allow the kernel to fix the incompatibility between the I777 and I9100 libaudio.  (The I777's main and NC mics are swapped compared to the I9100 - my kernel patch swaps them in the kernel rather than relying on libaudio to do it.)

I'm not as active in the I777 community now that I have an N7000, but I still monitor the CM9 thread to see if any odd I777-specific issues pop up.  Also I'm planning on doing a kernel update for touchwizz firmwares soon, and updating Hellraiser so it's easier to use and takes care of some of the remaining issues (like wifi region code).

The only bad ICS kernels are the AT&T leaks - all of the custom source-built kernels on XDA are based on the I9100 update4 source base, which is safe.

Message 5 of 7 (2,475 Views)
Contributor

when ICS is coming officilally..

any 1 here can reply truly

let me know

Message 6 of 7 (2,206 Views)

As stated before - release dates are never given.  All I can tell you is that you DO NOT want anything remotely resembling the leaks that have shown up so far as they can permanently damage your device in an unrecoverable fashion:

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/hard-brick-bug-on-galaxy-s-ii-and-note-leaked-ics-kernels/

Message 7 of 7 (2,162 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.