Ask a question

Posted Sep 5, 2013
1:15:30 PM
View profile
Galaxy S3 and Android 4.3 - A user vents

Recently Samsung announced that it would be updating all Galaxy S4 and S3 phone to Android 4.3.  If I bought my phone unlocked form Samsung or belonged to another wireless carrier, I would be excited.  However, I bought my phone from AT&T.

My question is directed more at AT&T and it's management more than this forum.  Why do you continually make your customers regret dealing with you by not updating our phones appropriately when the manufacturer releases an update?  I have been a customer of yours since my Cingular days and I have no qualm about your network.  Never have, hopefully never will.

However, as an avid Android user who loves his Samsung Galaxy S3, I continually get disgusted when my wife's Iphone 5 gets updated on a regular basis and will be getting the new IOS 7 when it comes out. But when updates come out for my Android phone, that would greatly improve my mobile experience, your company does NOTHING????? Your recent relase to 4.1.2 is a sham, especially when they are about to release 4.4 soon.   My Father in Law even has updates availabe for his Windows 8 Phone when they get released by Microsoft and barely anyone buys windows phones.  

I don't want to hear "your testing it to make sure if functions properly" or "you are validating how your apps (aka bloatware) works with the update"  That is bull.  You are notified of the updates as ever other app developer out there, so you have more than enough time to test your applications.

The other cariers, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, release updates for android on a regular basis.  It's about time you stopped trying tot force us to buy the next "flagship" phone to improve your bottom line and started caring about your customers mobile experience by releasing updates to Android AS THE MANUFACTURER DOES.

Google needs to take the next step with Android and force you and all of the other greedy carriers to update thier android phones in a timely fashion, within weeks of them releasing it to developers instead of years (or never) that it happens now.

I thought venting would help, but all this has done is make me even more disgusted with AT&T.

Time to seriously think about changing networks or switching **gulp** to an Iphone.  At least Isheep are treated fairly by Apple where us Android users are the red-headed step child of the mobile world.

Galaxy S3 and Android 4.3 - A user vents

23 replies
(8) Me too
(8) Me too
View all replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 1:42:04 PM
(0)
Guru

I also made the mistake of buying the AT&T version of the GS3 - two of them, in fact. After experiencing the ridiculousness that is AT&T's "update" process, I promptly got rid of mine (my wife kept hers) while it was still worth something and got the GS4 Google Edition. It received the 4.3 update a week after it was announced by Google. Expensive, but well worth it. Never again will I purchase a carrier variant, AT&T or otherwise.

Re: Galaxy S3 and Android 4.3 - A user vents

2 of 24 (5,499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 10:30:34 AM
(0)
Teacher

The more and more that I read in the Android section of this website along with a number of other tech community sites, getting the Google edition is the best course of action.

Obviously AT&T doesn't care about it's customers.  That's why they are always rated the lowest.  We are all just dollar signs to them.  The unfortuante aspect is that the companies that AT&T always targets in their ads, T-Mobile and Sprint, release updates the quickest.  It's a shame their networks are terrible because I would switch in a heart beat.

There is no reason for any carrier to hold back a release if the phone's hardware can handle the operating system, other than to line thier money grubbing pockets.

Thanks AT&T....for nothing

3 of 24 (5,263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 10:59:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Verizon Wireless isn't that great in updating Android devices, either.  In my personal experience with them, I would have to describe them as horrible with updates.  I buy a mix of carrier devices and non-carrier devices.  When I buy a carrier device, my expectation is that it will stay in the same state that it was out of the box.  If I get an update, it's a pleasant surprise.  This bothered me more in the past but as Android has gotten better, I'm not as anxious for the updates as I was three years ago.

Oh, and to be fair, AT&T won two J.D. Powers awards this year for customer service.  The number of customers that know that their Android device isn't running the latest version of Android is probably no more than 2% of AT&T's ~95 million customers.  The lack of Android updates isn't going to cause AT&T to lose any awards.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 24 (5,257 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 12:37:52 PM
(0)
Teacher
you need to buy a google nexus device. problem solved.

5 of 24 (5,135 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 1:48:42 AM
(0)
Contributor

Easy just root your galaxy and install cyanogen mod hahahSmiley Happy

6 of 24 (4,944 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2013 3:37:13 PM
(0)
Contributor

Cann't even root my phone, they locked down the bootloader with the MF3 firmware update for the S4. 

7 of 24 (4,830 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2013 5:20:55 PM
(0)
Contributor
Maybe they'll listen to money. AT&T, you would get a TON more customer$ if you would OTA update your devices faster than the other carriers! I've had Android for a few years now, and AT&T has been so slow on updates that I root my phone every time. I was hoping I wouldn't have to root my S4. :-(

8 of 24 (4,814 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 11:02:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

silrosriv wrote:
AT&T, you would get a TON more customer$ if you would OTA update your devices faster than the other carriers!

No, they really wouldn't.  Ask the huge majority of Android users what Android version they are running, or what an OTA even is, and you will likely just get a blank stare.  Most Android users simply don't know enough to even care.

Not saying the issue isn't important to you and others.  But its not a huge money making proposition for AT&T to be pushing these updates out any faster.  Otherwise they would already be doing it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 24 (4,674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2013 5:52:04 AM
(0)
Scholar

Like most large companies, they do not care.  Reports say 4.3 is coming out for S3 & S4 in Oct.  But that as usual is for the Intl versions not for us here at AT&T.  May see it next year.....

10 of 24 (4,511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 12:42:05 PM
(0)
Mentor

The reason why Samsung is bringing the 4.3 update to the S3, S4 and even the note 2 in October is so that these devices will be compatible to the Galaxy Gear Watch. It appears that it is Samsung's intentions to make their 2013 and 2012 flagship phones compatible right away. I too am upset that updates are very slow to get to devices, especially the S3. Unfortunately we are the mercy of wireless carriers. But because sales of the galaxy gear watch are at stake, I see AT&T and the other carriers getting the 4.3 update out in October or early November at the latest. It may be wishful thinking but I see it happening.  They will only be shooting themselves in the foot in regards to galaxy gear watch sales if they don't get it out by then.  We will get it sooner than later. One other thing that I am upset with AT&T is that they don't let you update through Kies. They need to change this so they don't lose more customers, but I doubt they will.

11 of 24 (4,244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 7:59:40 AM
(0)
Scholar

The mistake Android (and Android phone manufactures) made was give the carriers the power to modify the OS (to include their bloatware) the way they see fit. It's not about making sure it works on the network. Obviously Apple's strategy of not allowing carriers to cripple their IOS is working for them as well as their customers. I'd like to see Samsung and others take the same stance as Apple. Only then will these updates make it into our hands quicker--and the cellphone manufactures will be able to give Apple some competition.

12 of 24 (3,755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 11:48:12 AM
(0)
Guru

gara56 wrote:

The mistake Android (and Android phone manufactures) made was give the carriers the power to modify the OS (to include their bloatware) the way they see fit. It's not about making sure it works on the network. Obviously Apple's strategy of not allowing carriers to cripple their IOS is working for them as well as their customers. I'd like to see Samsung and others take the same stance as Apple. Only then will these updates make it into our hands quicker--and the cellphone manufactures will be able to give Apple some competition.

Agreed on all counts. I am using the Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition and it works perfectly on AT&T's network. The whole "testing" nonsense that AT&T feeds to customers whenever they call in to inquire about updates is just that...nonsense.

13 of 24 (3,732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2013 1:46:11 PM
(0)
Scholar

The Galaxy S4 will get the update to 4.3 before us with the S3.  Too much trouble for AT&T to work and get it out at the same time.  I will say it will be next year befor S3 users see the update from AT&T.

14 of 24 (3,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 8:13:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

gara56 wrote:

Agreed, to some extent.  Although other brands for the most part don't have the same cache with the public as Apple does.  Samsung has become a legitimate competitior to Apple.  But they might still have trouble convincing the carriers "Do it how we want it, or you don't get our phones".

Android probably would not have gotten to where they are now, with the same strategy as Apple.  And its hard to put the cat back in the bag, once its out.

15 of 24 (3,493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 1:11:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

A lot of this is form over function.  You cant compare how open vs closed works.  Apple and Android use a base unix/linux.  The reason Iphone get updates so fast is that it closed.  So when a new tech is developed or issue arises they know the answer and know the changes that need to be made.  That is why the process of getting you app on Itunes is stupid hard. 

Conversely, Android is a alliance with HTC, Samsung etc.  Now days its a issue of licenseor verses licensee.  Meaning compaines like Samsung are going to Google, and Microsoft and having them developed the OS, and giving input.  But it stays open on HTC end.  So when a update is needed, Samsung cant and will not just change a few lines of code and shoot it out.  Because the developer of the OS has to do that, and if your Microsoft or Google, are you going to give top priority to devices you are helping with?  I know Microsoft will not. 

So by the time its in AT&Ts hands, its been forever.  Because the waste in code that is the open source model.  1000 people make code off of source and Fitbit comes into the market.  Now they have code, and in Apple its a process of submitting it and letting them tell you whats what.  Droid, lets you input on items but this can be a drain to the user who doesn't want to wait.  If you want fast updates use Iphone, if you want open source (not so much these days) use Droid. 

AT&T just adds bloat to the pie, it does not write the code.  You think the company that owns a huge part of the USAs hard backbone is going to upgrade your phone fast.  Were still using Coaxial Cable and BNC connectors for Internet.  (but thats a whole other issues)

******I dont work for AT&T or even like them, it just is what it is, I more worried about the forced updates to bloat ware not getting the newest update to a gadget.***********

Re: Galaxy S3 and Android 4.3 - A user vents (cant compare Iphone to Android updates

16 of 24 (3,237 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2013 7:06:46 AM
(0)
Guru

margaret.brafford wrote:

A lot of this is form over function.  You cant compare how open vs closed works.  Apple and Android use a base unix/linux.  The reason Iphone get updates so fast is that it closed.  So when a new tech is developed or issue arises they know the answer and know the changes that need to be made.  That is why the process of getting you app on Itunes is stupid hard. 

Conversely, Android is a alliance with HTC, Samsung etc.  Now days its a issue of licenseor verses licensee.  Meaning compaines like Samsung are going to Google, and Microsoft and having them developed the OS, and giving input.  But it stays open on HTC end.  So when a update is needed, Samsung cant and will not just change a few lines of code and shoot it out.  Because the developer of the OS has to do that, and if your Microsoft or Google, are you going to give top priority to devices you are helping with?  I know Microsoft will not. 

So by the time its in AT&Ts hands, its been forever.  Because the waste in code that is the open source model.  1000 people make code off of source and Fitbit comes into the market.  Now they have code, and in Apple its a process of submitting it and letting them tell you whats what.  Droid, lets you input on items but this can be a drain to the user who doesn't want to wait.  If you want fast updates use Iphone, if you want open source (not so much these days) use Droid. 

AT&T just adds bloat to the pie, it does not write the code.  You think the company that owns a huge part of the USAs hard backbone is going to upgrade your phone fast.  Were still using Coaxial Cable and BNC connectors for Internet.  (but thats a whole other issues)

******I dont work for AT&T or even like them, it just is what it is, I more worried about the forced updates to bloat ware not getting the newest update to a gadget.***********

Since Apple has a highly popular device, part of the stipulation in its contract with the carriers is that the carriers stay out of the update process. As such, the updates are rolled out directly by Apple. With Android, the carriers typically block the updates in order to fill them with their bloatware. This is why the U.S. carrier variants typically receive Android updates months after (if at all) their international counterparts.

Re: Galaxy S3 and Android 4.3 - A user vents (cant compare Iphone to Android updates

17 of 24 (3,149 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 1:02:35 PM
(0)
Mentor

Completely agree with original post, but the unfortunate reality is that as long as the tech-minded people who are aware of the update process and what's coming (enough to care) are the minority, AT&T has no incentive (besides caring) to keep older models current.  The biggest problem in regards to the upate process comes from the added software that manufacturers and carriers add to the Android source.  This is why the unlocked models receive updates immediately and carrier-based phone users are left wondering if they've been forgotten. 

If the handshake between vendors and carriers were better, it would help the process greatly because as things stand right now, customers get caught in a game of pass the buck between both sides (I know from personal experience).  No edits to the source should be MANDATORY, meaning all added features from phone makers (LG's UI, Samsung's Touchwiz, HTC's Sense) should be an optional update for those who want it.  Likewise, AT&T should create an app pak in Play Store with all of their software so customers can choose if they want it (or not).  After all, we're already customers, so do you really need to load carrier-specific apps for advertising purposes?

Anyways, as ridiculous as it may be, the only way to have a phone with the most up to date software is to pay full retail for an unlocked phone like the Google Play Edition of the HTC One or Galaxy S4, or Nexus.  I will NEVER purchase a phone again in anticipation for what updates it is expected to receive.

18 of 24 (2,710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 9:27:10 PM
(0)
Mentor

I've gone with a custom ROM and never looked back. I'm running 4.3 now with everything you can imagine. Insane custom abilities. Very stable. Battery life is off the hook. I'm running sl*mbe*n (sorry for that but last time I posted a custom ROM they edited my post. Stuff you would expect from ATT). 

Forget ATT. They are literally Worthless when it comes to upgrades. You have to understand that they Do Not Care about the Paying Customer. As long as you're locked in they know you're screwed. 

19 of 24 (2,567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 10:04:41 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by tim horton on Oct 10, 2013 at 12:04:51 PM

JohnnyC7 wrote:

I've gone with a custom ROM and never looked back. I'm running 4.3 now with everything you can imagine. Insane custom abilities. Very stable. Battery life is off the hook. I'm running sl*mbe*n (sorry for that but last time I posted a custom ROM they edited my post. Stuff you would expect from ATT). 

Forget ATT. They are literally Worthless when it comes to upgrades. You have to understand that they Do Not Care about the Paying Customer. As long as you're locked in they know you're screwed. 

Can you kindly point me to where I can check out s*imb*an 4.3? I can see  version 4.2.2 but not 4.3 for Samsung I747. Please PM. Thanks.

Never mind, found it.

[ Edited ]
20 of 24 (2,451 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2013 3:04:30 PM
(0)
Contributor

google galaxy s3 att xda developers forum and you will find all the info that you ever need..

21 of 24 (1,910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2013 7:40:07 AM
(0)
Mentor

It is rumoured that the S3 for ATT will have Android 4.3 on November, 13th.  All S3 and S4 will be upgraded by end of Nov for all carriers.

As far as getting the latest and greatest, if that is what you want, then you have to go with a Google phone. It remains to be seen if Motorola will update their phones faster than others since they are owned by Google.

Mike

22 of 24 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2013 3:29:16 PM
(0)
Scholar

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-release-schedule-286484/

From AT&T way they are on releases, it be next year.

23 of 24 (676 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2013 6:49:28 PM
(0)
Voyager

I feel the same way to all that think of is getting new customers and money

24 of 24 (266 Views)