Galaxy S2 and AP Mobile Battery Drain

Galaxy S2 and AP Mobile Battery Drain

My Galaxy S2 battery is draining, and it turns out that the AP Mobile widget (which comes preinstalled and cannot be deleted without rooting the phone, which we are not supposed to do) is refreshing itself even when I'm not using it.  I do not have the widget up.  When I had it up last, I set the refresh internal to never.  According Battery Usage, it is still accessing data (using up data) and using up the battery.  It using more battery power than the display!  Is this for real?  

On other message boards, people are saying they root their phones and then freeze or delete AP Mobile.  I rooted my last phone. I don't want to root this one.  Samsung/AT&T cannot preinstall an app that uses power and data that we can't turn off. What is going on?  

Smiley Mad

Thanks.

Message 1 of 57 (6,210 Views)
Employee
Employee

Re: Galaxy S2 and AP Mobile Battery Drain

I have not had that issue. I have auto refresh and auto scrolling off. It refreshes briefly if I go to that page but that is it. battery uisage from the app isn't even noticed on any guage I have.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 57 (6,111 Views)

I may have overreacted.  The next day, with the updates set to none, AP Mobile had very little activity.  I don't know why it showed a lot of use the first day (more than the display and lots of data transmitted), but that was not the case the next day and so far today it seems to be completely inactive.  I'll post a follow up in a few days.  Thank you. 

Message 3 of 57 (6,046 Views)
Contributor

I too am having issues with the ap mobile widget on my GS2.  I do not have it enabled on any home screens and its refresh interval is set to never.  In spite of this, here is a screen capture of the data usage it has racked up since monday:

Luckily I have unlimited data, so this isn't costing me money, but it's still ridiculous.  Really hoping for a fix to this...

Message 4 of 57 (5,959 Views)
Teacher

I don't think my phone came with that app.  I've looked all over and don't see it.

Message 5 of 57 (5,898 Views)

It's not an app.  It's a widget.  

There is definitely something up with it.  Even when set to do nothing, it uses some battery power (for me, typically 2 percent per day) and sends and receives some data.  Could some other app be accessing it?  Regardless, if we can't delete it, we at least should be able to turn it totally off.  This should be addressed. 

Message 6 of 57 (5,848 Views)
Teacher

FWIW, I don't have this widget either. I nuked a bunch of stuff that I don't even recall on Day 1, but from what you say I couldn't have deleted it either. So it must not come on all phones.
Message 7 of 57 (5,828 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

It comes with all Samsung Galaxy phones. It just didn't show up anywhere because it is a widget. Unless you purposefully put this widget on to your home screen, you won't find it. But it does show up in widget list.

Message 8 of 57 (5,813 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

OK, I found it on the widget list.

Message 9 of 57 (5,795 Views)
Teacher

Yeah, I looked in ALL in the Manage Apps section of Settings and found it and a bunch of other things I didn't know about.

Thanks!

Message 10 of 57 (5,729 Views)
Former Community Manager

Hey folks, 

Just a heads up that we are aware some people have seen battery issues related to the AP Widget. We're researching it and as soon as I have info, I'll update this thread. 

In the meantime, you can stop using the widget by removing it from your homescreen and rebooting your phone. As long as it's not accessed again, it will be dormant like any other widget you're not actively using. 

Thanks,

~jam

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 57 (4,370 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

On top of the battery drain issue, the more pressing issue of the AP mobile widget is that it is leeching a whole bunch of data WITHOUT THE WIDGET BEING USED.  It is using up ~8-10MB per day for me and I am on a 200MB plan so I am going to not like my next wireless bill.

I have tried force stopped the app but as soon as you get out of settings the service automatically start up again.  Since it is a "default" app there is no way to uninstall it.  I just tried Jam's suggestion to reboot my phone, no go.  The widget/app launches itselfs and there's no way to stop it permanently.  By the way there are many many threats on the internet outlining this issue so it is not my imagination.

This is a huge issue on many levels.  I have spoken to technical Support and customer care and they just point to Samsung.  One genius customer care rep even suggested for me to claim warranty even though she seems to understand it is an OS issue.  I personally feel that if AT&T just get their act together and work with Samsung for a hotfix or quick update, that would be better customer service.  Instead they force me to speak with Samsung who points me right back to AT&T because it's their custom rom and AP mobile widget is NOT an android native app.

At of this point, I am thoroughly disappointed with AT&T customer sevice and how they treat this 13 years wireless customer.

Message 12 of 57 (4,346 Views)
Master

Battery drain and data usage are co-related. More data usage = more battery drain. It sounds like a random bug that affects some but not others.

Message 13 of 57 (4,331 Views)
Former Community Manager

@tukuyaah - Have you removed the app from your homescreen?

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 14 of 57 (4,329 Views)

[ Edited ]

@jamileh - It would take 15 minutes for AT&T to generate an OTA update zip that removes this app.  An application like this has NO business being located in /system/app considering that it is available on the Android market, especially when it is so easily capable of driving data overage charges.

An issue like this cannot wait for it to be slipstreamed in the 2.3.5 update (which already is a classic "biting off more than you can chew" example - a fix for the lockscreen issue is getting held back by the fact that AT&T and Samsung tried to do too much in UCKJ2.) - an emergency fix needs to be done by AT&T now.

It is utterly ridiculous that AT&T releases firmwares that require rooting in order to obtain proper operation.  It is inexcusable for uninstallable apps to be present in /system/app that are installable from the Android Market.  <keep it courteous>.

Message 15 of 57 (4,323 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support