Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Galaxy S2 and AP Mobile Battery Drain

Galaxy S2 and AP Mobile Battery Drain

My Galaxy S2 battery is draining, and it turns out that the AP Mobile widget (which comes preinstalled and cannot be deleted without rooting the phone, which we are not supposed to do) is refreshing itself even when I'm not using it.  I do not have the widget up.  When I had it up last, I set the refresh internal to never.  According Battery Usage, it is still accessing data (using up data) and using up the battery.  It using more battery power than the display!  Is this for real?  

On other message boards, people are saying they root their phones and then freeze or delete AP Mobile.  I rooted my last phone. I don't want to root this one.  Samsung/AT&T cannot preinstall an app that uses power and data that we can't turn off. What is going on?  

Smiley Mad

Thanks.

Message 1 of 57

Re: Galaxy S2 and AP Mobile Battery Drain

Rooting used to require flashing a custom kernel or pre-rooted system image with Odin/Heimdall on Samsung Gingerbread devices, but there's a new root exploit (zergRush) that allows rooting of nearly all existing Gingerbread devices without flashing anything.

And yes - rooting the I777 is easily reversible

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Message 31 of 57
Contributor

I decided to investigate my data usage after using 1Gb in less than 12 hrs while my phone sat idly.  I use a lot of data, but 1 Gb from background is insane.

After running a quasi-experiment, I found background data usage was over 90% from AP mobile.  Here is what I did:

I installed watchdog 3G watchdog pro.  The free version has over 1 million downloads and 48,146 likes and it allows you to set the data usage block size to match how providers count theirs - so it's a pretty well-designed app.  The pro version allows me to see data usage by app.  You can go to android market and search "3G watchdog"  for more information.

1. First I tested it out as it was, that is, refreshes every second - and saw AP mobile accumulate 3MB within 15 mins. (with a refresh per second rate, that actually makes sense)

2. I changed the refresh rate to "none" on the AP mobile - here's where it gets interesting.  nothing changed continued accumulating data at a similar rate.

3. I removed the widget from my homepage then went to "Settings-Applications-All" and pressed "clear data" and "force stop"

The third one fixed it for roughly 3 mins.  Then it began using data again but at a slower rate.  Still it was consuming roughly 1Mb/20 min which is equivalent to approximately 2.2 Gb per month.  That's one $10 overage from sitting idly.

After going to "Settings-Applications-All" -  I found that it produced 172kb of data, even though I didn't touch it after I removed the widget, cleared it's data, and force closed it.  Interestingly, it wasn't under "Running services" even though it reproduced 172kb without opening the app or re-adding the widget to the homescreen. 

Based on what I found, along with all the other reports here, I think its logical to conclude that AP mobile overconsumes data in the background.  The fact that I changed the refresh rate to none, removed the widget, cleared all its data, and force closed it, yet  the app still consumed minimum of 1Mb/20 min from my phone sitting idly proves this.

The only fix I've read other than rooting your phone, which from what I've heard, is extra tricky with the S II (compared to other androids - since it s US variants are so new) is to do a complete factory reset and NEVER open AP mobile.  However, that is not a fix for the regular consumer.

IF AT&T wants to demonstrate that its data caps are in fact fair and realistic allowances, than it should address this issue beyond "month-long" research that merely looks at data usage from subscribers.  PLEASE, GET THE ACTUAL PHONE AND TEST IT! Install a program that monitors data usage by app, design your own if you have to.  Then open AP mobile once, and test it under every setting for a giveninterval.  Then  look at the numbers.  I'm sure they will provide more than enough evidence that this needs to be fixed in an update.

Message 32 of 57
Highlighted
Master

The only thing gets the ball moving is for those of you have capped data to dispute the data charges. Ask for refunds for your data plan cost as well as any overages since this bug consumes all you data caps and leave nothing to spare.

When enough ppl do this, AT&T will rush out a fix overnight. Money is the only thing talks.

Message 33 of 57

I agree - Anyone who has had an overage due to this needs to dispute the data charge IMMEDIATELY.

Message 34 of 57
Master

Even if you don't have overage but have a data cap, you need to dispute the data plan cost immediately as well since the bug can theoritically consume all the data within your cap and you get nothing left to use.

Message 35 of 57
Mentor

Good call fox.  I didn't think about I should've asked for a refund for my data plan for October since it didn't incur overage.  But I did avoid using my data by turning mobile data off for a few days because of the Ap mobile app issue.  Thanks Fox for thinking!

Message 36 of 57
Contributor

Called in told them what I did and got a $10 credit for the gig it used.  arguing that the extra gig could theoretically cost me an overage of $10.  I then did a factory reset and haven't touched the app since.  mostly in wifi but used some google navigate today and only incurred about 2.73Mb today so far.  "Use packet data," "background data" and "auto-sync" are on.  I agree that it's a great idea to call in for a legitimate credit due to the extent of its use.  However, unless you plan on returning the phone or are gonna root it, a restore to factory settings will do the trick so long as you NEVER touch the app again.  At least that's how it's been working for me.  I'll keep my eye on it though.

Message 37 of 57
Contributor

Yeah, let us know. I've seen people post success with factory reset but I wonder if the app starts pulling data again after a few days.
Message 38 of 57
Mentor

is AT&T telling us whom are affected by this issue to bless your heart since there is no resolution whatsoever?

Message 39 of 57
Scholar

have the same problem .my data went almost 6gigs usage .did factory reset to reolve issue and called att .they said they can compisate me .DONT TOUCH THAT WIDGET!

Message 40 of 57
Mentor

I have confirmed that ATT has paid for my overage for the last 2 months.  However I am still bothered by the fact that there is no quick fix and i don't feel like calling them every month for the adjustments.

Message 41 of 57
Teacher

I have same issues here about my data usage with AP Mobile app and I never even use this app so what we need to tell them when we called customers service? I got text this morning that I'm close to be change $10 for another 1gb and still need go till December 15th. I have been T-Mobile customer last 3 years with same data package 2gb and never get close to 2 gb or 2048 mb. It was maximum 1.5gb but now 17 days and I'm already 2042.9mb so this is insane also I want to point that I never use wifi at home on T-Mobile plan but now I'm using soon as I get home and almost overage hey att why you stealing you are already most expensive company? Please advice some help. Sorry if someone ask this already. My monitoring app telling me that AP mobile using most on the first place.
Message 42 of 57
Scholar

Factory reset phone, then call att and explain them what's going on. I had tmobile before also with unlimited. I never went over 2 gigs either
Message 43 of 57
Scholar

Even with unlimited data I meant
Message 44 of 57
Teacher

Thank you so much.
Message 45 of 57
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support