Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 21, 2011
6:55:17 PM
View profile
Galaxy S2 Vs. Nexus Prime

I bought the Galaxy S2 on the release date but I'm really reconsidering my purchase as I'm looking at the Nexus Prime. I waited for the S2 release because I wanted a "future proof" phone. However, I've heard that AT&T is very slow to release Android updates, and I don't want to wait around to get Ice Cream Sandwich when it will be available on the Nexus Prime at release. 

I bought the Galaxy S2 on the release date but I'm really reconsidering my purchase as I'm looking at the Nexus Prime. I waited for the S2 release because I wanted a "future proof" phone. However, I've heard that AT&T is very slow to release Android updates, and I don't want to wait around to get Ice Cream Sandwich when it will be available on the Nexus Prime at release. 

Galaxy S2 Vs. Nexus Prime

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2011 7:22:24 AM
(0)
Master

* There is no way to future proof any phone. The minute you bought it, it is outdated. In the case of GS2, it is outdated by couple months already.

* AT&T is slow on releasing updates but it is equally slow on releasing new phones. And Nexus phones on AT&T is even worse. Nexus One showed up very briefly months after other carriers had it. Nexus S never showed up until 9 months later. So, who knows when Galaxy Nexus will show up in AT&T. But when it does, it sure will be outdated.

* There is no way to future proof any phone. The minute you bought it, it is outdated. In the case of GS2, it is outdated by couple months already.

* AT&T is slow on releasing updates but it is equally slow on releasing new phones. And Nexus phones on AT&T is even worse. Nexus One showed up very briefly months after other carriers had it. Nexus S never showed up until 9 months later. So, who knows when Galaxy Nexus will show up in AT&T. But when it does, it sure will be outdated.

Re: Galaxy S2 Vs. Nexus Prime

2 of 17 (3,789 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2011 5:49:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

Well.. I have had the Nexus One since it was released for use on the AT&T network..  Nice thing about that was it was pure google so when there is a update for android..that phone was very very quick to get it (since it did not have to go thru AT&T proper channels..aka it did not have their bloatware and did not have a UI overlay on it) and it still gets updates (for a old phone it still is a kick butt phone).

The G S2 has had my eye since it was released.. and now that it is on AT&T I was waiting on the specs for the Galaxy Nexus..and after see the specs I was really dissapointed.. it really did not have anything that jumped out and say 'look I am the lead phone in technology' (When you have other phones that are/have been out for a while that has the same or part of them better tech) and also it is no guarantee that it will have a true google system (again no bloat ware/UI overlay)..

SOOoo I decided yesterday to get the G S2 (got the wife one a few weeks ago).. it is a phone that will not dissapoint you.  Also odds are that this phone will get ICS (when..who knows).. and if it takes too long then one can always root it and go from there.

Of course as new phones come out the telecomm companies will hold off on 'updates' cause they know that if future X phone comming out has #.# version on it that the phone they already sell don't..that people will buy X phone just for that reason, even though if they want to the company could release #.# on the phones they already sell.  That mainly targets the users that really don't know the difference (but they can never fool us Tech Heads).

Well.. I have had the Nexus One since it was released for use on the AT&T network..  Nice thing about that was it was pure google so when there is a update for android..that phone was very very quick to get it (since it did not have to go thru AT&T proper channels..aka it did not have their bloatware and did not have a UI overlay on it) and it still gets updates (for a old phone it still is a kick butt phone).

The G S2 has had my eye since it was released.. and now that it is on AT&T I was waiting on the specs for the Galaxy Nexus..and after see the specs I was really dissapointed.. it really did not have anything that jumped out and say 'look I am the lead phone in technology' (When you have other phones that are/have been out for a while that has the same or part of them better tech) and also it is no guarantee that it will have a true google system (again no bloat ware/UI overlay)..

SOOoo I decided yesterday to get the G S2 (got the wife one a few weeks ago).. it is a phone that will not dissapoint you.  Also odds are that this phone will get ICS (when..who knows).. and if it takes too long then one can always root it and go from there.

Of course as new phones come out the telecomm companies will hold off on 'updates' cause they know that if future X phone comming out has #.# version on it that the phone they already sell don't..that people will buy X phone just for that reason, even though if they want to the company could release #.# on the phones they already sell.  That mainly targets the users that really don't know the difference (but they can never fool us Tech Heads).

3 of 17 (3,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2011 9:40:39 PM
(0)
Teacher

Not to change the subject too much... but what do you think about the Galaxy S2 LTE version? Is that coming to AT&T soon? I'm on the wire between buying the iPhone 4S or the Galaxy S2, leaning more on GS2, but just found out there's an LTE version.

Not to change the subject too much... but what do you think about the Galaxy S2 LTE version? Is that coming to AT&T soon? I'm on the wire between buying the iPhone 4S or the Galaxy S2, leaning more on GS2, but just found out there's an LTE version.

~Maria Sent via Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket

4 of 17 (3,542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2011 5:38:36 AM
(0)
Master
Yes, the lte version is coming soon but do you have any lte service right now?
Yes, the lte version is coming soon but do you have any lte service right now?

5 of 17 (3,496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2011 12:56:23 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have no idea if I have LTE service in my area... I guess I should look that up first... I'll browse around see if I find anything on LTE service in my area - Thanks!

I have no idea if I have LTE service in my area... I guess I should look that up first... I'll browse around see if I find anything on LTE service in my area - Thanks!

6 of 17 (3,399 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2011 4:46:23 PM
(0)
Master
There are only 5 cities with LTE services right now. I'm pretty sure when AT&T finally rolled out LTE services for me to benefit, I'll already be on Galaxy S3.
There are only 5 cities with LTE services right now. I'm pretty sure when AT&T finally rolled out LTE services for me to benefit, I'll already be on Galaxy S3.

7 of 17 (3,347 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 7:29:50 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Entropy512 on Oct 24, 2011 at 7:30:02 AM

One comment - while you'll be waiting for eternity for official ICS from AT&T on the GS2, there's a good chance it'll come out in a timely fashion for the I9100 (International GS2.)

Our devices are so similar to the International variant that I'd expect it'll take developers only a week or two to port the I9100 ICS release over to the I777.

Samsung is very good at releasing updates for their phones if you look at the release pace for the I9000 and I9100.  It's clear from the difference in release pace between I9000 and Captivate that AT&T is the one at fault for updates being held up for eternity.

One comment - while you'll be waiting for eternity for official ICS from AT&T on the GS2, there's a good chance it'll come out in a timely fashion for the I9100 (International GS2.)

Our devices are so similar to the International variant that I'd expect it'll take developers only a week or two to port the I9100 ICS release over to the I777.

Samsung is very good at releasing updates for their phones if you look at the release pace for the I9000 and I9100.  It's clear from the difference in release pace between I9000 and Captivate that AT&T is the one at fault for updates being held up for eternity.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

[ Edited ]
8 of 17 (3,171 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 10:03:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

I've been calling around local AT&T stores and can't find any store that actually has the Galaxy S 2 in stock, much rather out on display. They all say you can only get it if you order it online or over the phone. What's the deal here? Leads me to believe it might be extinct rather soon... why would they NOT carry it in ANY store?

Could this mean the LTE version is coming sooner than I thought? I can't seem to find anything on the net pointing to that... anybody have any info?

I've been calling around local AT&T stores and can't find any store that actually has the Galaxy S 2 in stock, much rather out on display. They all say you can only get it if you order it online or over the phone. What's the deal here? Leads me to believe it might be extinct rather soon... why would they NOT carry it in ANY store?

Could this mean the LTE version is coming sooner than I thought? I can't seem to find anything on the net pointing to that... anybody have any info?

9 of 17 (3,119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 10:25:46 AM
(0)
Master

It depends where you live. Texas and California are the only two places that don't sell GS2 in AT&T corp stores. But you can still find them in places like Walmart, Best Buy, RadioShack etc.

It depends where you live. Texas and California are the only two places that don't sell GS2 in AT&T corp stores. But you can still find them in places like Walmart, Best Buy, RadioShack etc.

10 of 17 (3,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 10:46:43 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, that's exactly where I'm at - California (Los Angeles).

I wanted to see the actual phone, hold it in my hand and play around with it... guess I won't be able to then huh - BUMMER! Smiley Sad

Yes, that's exactly where I'm at - California (Los Angeles).

I wanted to see the actual phone, hold it in my hand and play around with it... guess I won't be able to then huh - BUMMER! Smiley Sad

11 of 17 (1,293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 4:34:48 AM
(0)
Master
You still can. Other retailers in your area still carry it. There is no need to buy/upgrade from AT&T store.
You still can. Other retailers in your area still carry it. There is no need to buy/upgrade from AT&T store.

12 of 17 (1,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 11:43:47 AM
(0)
Scholar

I got a HTC Inspire a few weeks ago and took it back yesterday. Was all stoked about the GS2. They had none. Guy said they pulled them all because they're coming out with a 'better' one with LTE in a few weeks. Whether LTE is up and running now, this should work and be able to take advantage of that when it's available, right?

How could I check on whether LTE is available in San Jose area - a itty bitty backwoods area sometimes called Silicon Valley  - Calif?

I got a HTC Inspire a few weeks ago and took it back yesterday. Was all stoked about the GS2. They had none. Guy said they pulled them all because they're coming out with a 'better' one with LTE in a few weeks. Whether LTE is up and running now, this should work and be able to take advantage of that when it's available, right?

How could I check on whether LTE is available in San Jose area - a itty bitty backwoods area sometimes called Silicon Valley  - Calif?

13 of 17 (935 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 12:14:51 PM
(0)
Scholar

What I found out so far is, these phone will still have HSPA+ until LTE is available everywhere. Also, AT&T alludes to AT&T LTE-upgradable devices...anyway to find what "devices" these are?

What I found out so far is, these phone will still have HSPA+ until LTE is available everywhere. Also, AT&T alludes to AT&T LTE-upgradable devices...anyway to find what "devices" these are?

14 of 17 (925 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2011 11:19:36 AM
(0)
Teacher

I'm SOOOO ready for a new phone and really want the GS2 but if an LTE version is coming out soon I could maybe wait it out.

Anybody have any other info, any leaks as to a possible release date for the LTE version? Or do we have to wait until they announce LTE in our area? I'm so over my BB... :/

I'm SOOOO ready for a new phone and really want the GS2 but if an LTE version is coming out soon I could maybe wait it out.

Anybody have any other info, any leaks as to a possible release date for the LTE version? Or do we have to wait until they announce LTE in our area? I'm so over my BB... :/

15 of 17 (822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2011 12:01:57 PM
(0)
Scholar

LuvrGirl wrote:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung/SAMSUNG-GALAXY-S-II-LTE-11-06/td-p/2942265

LuvrGirl wrote:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung/SAMSUNG-GALAXY-S-II-LTE-11-06/td-p/2942265

16 of 17 (818 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2011 5:49:43 PM
(0)
Teacher

THANK YOU!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!