Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 2, 2011
4:44:19 PM
View profile
Galaxy S2 Thoughts, Tips, Tricks & Problem fixes.

I figured since thousands like myself will be playing with their new GS2s for the next few weeks/months we might as well have a thread for us Galaxy S2 users to share thoughts, tips, tricks and problem fixs.. Like any new piece of technology there will be things we won't be able to figure out ourselves so let this be a good place to find answers, get tips and learn of great user options available for this gem.... 

I've spent the last 6 hours customizing my new Galaxy S2 and honestly I'm loving every minute of it!! Coming from a WP7 I can't believe how many options and apps are available for me to make this phone "my" phone.. 

LET THE FUN BEGIN Smiley Happy

I figured since thousands like myself will be playing with their new GS2s for the next few weeks/months we might as well have a thread for us Galaxy S2 users to share thoughts, tips, tricks and problem fixs.. Like any new piece of technology there will be things we won't be able to figure out ourselves so let this be a good place to find answers, get tips and learn of great user options available for this gem.... 

I've spent the last 6 hours customizing my new Galaxy S2 and honestly I'm loving every minute of it!! Coming from a WP7 I can't believe how many options and apps are available for me to make this phone "my" phone.. 

LET THE FUN BEGIN Smiley Happy

Galaxy S2 Thoughts, Tips, Tricks & Problem fixes.

129 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(129)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 3:41:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks guys. It could very well be the reason!

pmt1209 wrote:

Never had that happen the little time I used "Auto Brightness" but the light sensor is up on top, just left of your earphone on the Screen(not the earphone jack input)..  Is your finger or case if you have one close to the sensor??

^^^ It is quite easy to accidentally cover the light sensor on top. And since the screen brightness change has a built-in delay of a few seconds, by the time you noticed it changes, your finger already stayed clear of the sensor. I had this happen to me all the time.

Thanks guys. It could very well be the reason!

pmt1209 wrote:

Never had that happen the little time I used "Auto Brightness" but the light sensor is up on top, just left of your earphone on the Screen(not the earphone jack input)..  Is your finger or case if you have one close to the sensor??

^^^ It is quite easy to accidentally cover the light sensor on top. And since the screen brightness change has a built-in delay of a few seconds, by the time you noticed it changes, your finger already stayed clear of the sensor. I had this happen to me all the time.

Re: Screen Auto brightness

121 of 130 (1,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 8:56:14 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by tonydi on Oct 12, 2011 at 8:57:20 PM

pmt1209...

I think the problem isn't  that the backup file is corrupted, it's that it just fails to properly restore.  So having a copy won't help, since it would presumably do the same thing. 

If there's one thing I've discovered playing with computers over the years, it's that the odds that your backup is any good is inversely proportional to how desparately you need that data back!  So many people just presume their backups are fine, only to find out otherwise when disaster strikes.

pmt1209...

I think the problem isn't  that the backup file is corrupted, it's that it just fails to properly restore.  So having a copy won't help, since it would presumably do the same thing. 

If there's one thing I've discovered playing with computers over the years, it's that the odds that your backup is any good is inversely proportional to how desparately you need that data back!  So many people just presume their backups are fine, only to find out otherwise when disaster strikes.

Re: New Hotmail app

[ Edited ]
122 of 130 (1,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 6:31:49 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm abosolutely loving this phone... one question please help...

When I search for app in the Market, it will tell me for example 1234 results found and only shows say 10. How do I see the rest of the results? I tried to scroll down but to no avail. Thanks.

When I search for app in the Market, it will tell me for example 1234 results found and only shows say 10. How do I see the rest of the results? I tried to scroll down but to no avail. Thanks.

?Market Search?

123 of 130 (1,342 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 9:48:04 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by pmt1209 on Oct 14, 2011 at 10:05:14 AM

Shangri-La wrote:

At the results page just tap on the category  (APPS-BOOKS-MOVIES ect)..As in this photo, just tap on the grey "APPS     73880 results"  line..  it will open all availavle in that category..

Shangri-La wrote:

At the results page just tap on the category  (APPS-BOOKS-MOVIES ect)..As in this photo, just tap on the grey "APPS     73880 results"  line..  it will open all availavle in that category..

Re: ?Market Search?

[ Edited ]
124 of 130 (1,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 2:36:42 PM
(0)
Teacher

I cannot see the pic but here is exactly what I do. Open Market, tap Apps, search for "music ringtone", and it says about 13k results found. I scroll down, see maybe 10 -20 results. When I try to scroll down further, it wont let me and does show anything more. WhateverI click/tap, I just cant see other search results. I tried this on a friend's Infuse, and it's the same.

I cannot see the pic but here is exactly what I do. Open Market, tap Apps, search for "music ringtone", and it says about 13k results found. I scroll down, see maybe 10 -20 results. When I try to scroll down further, it wont let me and does show anything more. WhateverI click/tap, I just cant see other search results. I tried this on a friend's Infuse, and it's the same.

Re: ?Market Search?

125 of 130 (1,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 4:38:05 PM
(0)
Contributor

Yes you can. You can also create groups there like in Gingerbread. and add pages. From page 31 of the manual: Adding and Removing Primary Shortcuts

You can change any of your primary shortcuts with the exceptionof the Applications and Home shortcuts.

1. Press to activate the Home screen.

2. Tap to display your current applications.

3. Press and tap View type.

4. Tap Customizable grid. A green circle will appear next tothe option.

5. Press and tap Edit.

6. Scroll through the list and locate your desired application.

7. Touch and hold the on-screen icon, then drag it over theprimary shortcut that you want to replace. The newprimary shortcut then appears at the bottom of the screen.The old primary shortcut will return to the menu.

8. Press and tap Save.

9. Press to return to the Home screen.

Yes you can. You can also create groups there like in Gingerbread. and add pages. From page 31 of the manual: Adding and Removing Primary Shortcuts

You can change any of your primary shortcuts with the exceptionof the Applications and Home shortcuts.

1. Press to activate the Home screen.

2. Tap to display your current applications.

3. Press and tap View type.

4. Tap Customizable grid. A green circle will appear next tothe option.

5. Press and tap Edit.

6. Scroll through the list and locate your desired application.

7. Touch and hold the on-screen icon, then drag it over theprimary shortcut that you want to replace. The newprimary shortcut then appears at the bottom of the screen.The old primary shortcut will return to the menu.

8. Press and tap Save.

9. Press to return to the Home screen.

Re: Galaxy S2 Thoughts, Tips, Tricks & Problem fixes.

126 of 130 (1,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 8:55:13 AM
(0)
Scholar

tonydi wrote:

pmt1209...

Very true,  I just do it as a extra precaution, I also double back up all my stuff on my PC, I've seen too many people lose priceless family photos and such just because they didn't backup their stuff,,,  Ounce of prevention goes a long way Smiley Happy

tonydi wrote:

pmt1209...

Very true,  I just do it as a extra precaution, I also double back up all my stuff on my PC, I've seen too many people lose priceless family photos and such just because they didn't backup their stuff,,,  Ounce of prevention goes a long way Smiley Happy

Re: New Hotmail app

127 of 130 (1,147 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 12:06:07 PM
(0)
Scholar
Yes, with android phones you can do that it helps keep it organized and the phone will find the files
Yes, with android phones you can do that it helps keep it organized and the phone will find the files

128 of 130 (1,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2011 11:18:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

When texting in landscape mode, when you are done and cannot see the send button, push the back button and it will lower the keyboard.

When texting in landscape mode, when you are done and cannot see the send button, push the back button and it will lower the keyboard.

129 of 130 (1,012 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2011 2:27:13 PM
(0)
Contributor

Try RingDroid from the app market (free).  "Create your own ringtone, alarm, or notification sound from an existing audio file, or record a new one directly on the device."

Try RingDroid from the app market (free).  "Create your own ringtone, alarm, or notification sound from an existing audio file, or record a new one directly on the device."

Re: Ring Tones from music library

130 of 130 (997 Views)