Wireless Forums

Posted Oct 2, 2011
4:44:19 PM
View profile
Galaxy S2 Thoughts, Tips, Tricks & Problem fixes.

I figured since thousands like myself will be playing with their new GS2s for the next few weeks/months we might as well have a thread for us Galaxy S2 users to share thoughts, tips, tricks and problem fixs.. Like any new piece of technology there will be things we won't be able to figure out ourselves so let this be a good place to find answers, get tips and learn of great user options available for this gem.... 

I've spent the last 6 hours customizing my new Galaxy S2 and honestly I'm loving every minute of it!! Coming from a WP7 I can't believe how many options and apps are available for me to make this phone "my" phone.. 

LET THE FUN BEGIN :smileyhappy:

129 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(129)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 6:54:40 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Oct 9, 2011 at 6:55:21 AM

Don'tleave the screen on max brightness. I typically leave it at auto. And don't leave screen on for extended time.

AMOLED/OLED screen, although gorgeous, is very easy to get burn in. More so than today's Plasma TV (which has at least 10 times longer pixel life than AMOLED).

Don'tleave the screen on max brightness. I typically leave it at auto. And don't leave screen on for extended time.

AMOLED/OLED screen, although gorgeous, is very easy to get burn in. More so than today's Plasma TV (which has at least 10 times longer pixel life than AMOLED).

Re: Galaxy S2 Thoughts, Tips, Tricks & Problem fixes.

[ Edited ]
91 of 130 (1,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 2:38:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

Is anyone having issues with the mic? Several people have told me my voice sounds low. I already exchanged the phone and results are the same.

Is anyone having issues with the mic? Several people have told me my voice sounds low. I already exchanged the phone and results are the same.

92 of 130 (1,130 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 2:49:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

Everythings working great on my new phone except one important thing....it hardly ever catches the wifi connection or any kinda good connection. My wife's iPhone works fine in my house and outdoors but my Samsung seems to miss the signals a lot more than her phone does. I do have it on  the energy saver mode which turns off wifi etc etc when it's not in use but I keep checking the signal and at best it reads "weak"...which means it doesn't get my mail updates for a real long time as well as trying to use other programs that I need to be on the intyernet connection for... 

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

andy

Everythings working great on my new phone except one important thing....it hardly ever catches the wifi connection or any kinda good connection. My wife's iPhone works fine in my house and outdoors but my Samsung seems to miss the signals a lot more than her phone does. I do have it on  the energy saver mode which turns off wifi etc etc when it's not in use but I keep checking the signal and at best it reads "weak"...which means it doesn't get my mail updates for a real long time as well as trying to use other programs that I need to be on the intyernet connection for... 

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

andy

93 of 130 (1,123 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 4:37:51 PM
(0)
Mentor

foxbat121 wrote:

Comparing a phone screen to a tv is a bit of a stretch.  First, the phone screen is on WAY less than a tv.  Second, at least for me, it only has to last for a year and then I upgrade. 

Mine is on max all the time.  I turn it down at night sometimes because it's too bright.

foxbat121 wrote:

Comparing a phone screen to a tv is a bit of a stretch.  First, the phone screen is on WAY less than a tv.  Second, at least for me, it only has to last for a year and then I upgrade. 

Mine is on max all the time.  I turn it down at night sometimes because it's too bright.

94 of 130 (1,104 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 4:55:10 PM
(0)
Master

TimStrader wrote:

It's not a stretch. There are many ppl get burn-in on their Captivate, Nexus One, Focus etc in a few short months. It does happen.

TimStrader wrote:

It's not a stretch. There are many ppl get burn-in on their Captivate, Nexus One, Focus etc in a few short months. It does happen.

95 of 130 (1,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 6:08:47 PM
(0)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

I can see that, I have friends who are on their phones non-stop  playing games, watcing videos and so on (I do not)... I did turn my display onto Auto but honestly didn't like it(too dark), as for display burnin  I use the Koi Fish Live  wallpaper which is always moving & time out is set at 15 seconds so burnin on my phone should be a non issue..  

foxbat121 wrote:

I can see that, I have friends who are on their phones non-stop  playing games, watcing videos and so on (I do not)... I did turn my display onto Auto but honestly didn't like it(too dark), as for display burnin  I use the Koi Fish Live  wallpaper which is always moving & time out is set at 15 seconds so burnin on my phone should be a non issue..  

96 of 130 (1,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 8:11:54 PM
(0)
Mentor

pmt1209 wrote:

foxbat121 wrote:

How can you see that?  Playing games, watching videos etc...all the images are constanly moving.  Kind of like a screen saver.....to avoid burn in.  How could a movie cause burn in?

With that thought, your Koi thing can cause burn in.  Any screen saver then can also cause burn in, but isn't that what they are supposed to prevent?

pmt1209 wrote:

foxbat121 wrote:

How can you see that?  Playing games, watching videos etc...all the images are constanly moving.  Kind of like a screen saver.....to avoid burn in.  How could a movie cause burn in?

With that thought, your Koi thing can cause burn in.  Any screen saver then can also cause burn in, but isn't that what they are supposed to prevent?

97 of 130 (1,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 9:29:44 PM
(0)
Scholar

TimStrader wrote:

The koi live wallpaper acts as a screensaver with constant movement(fish, waves, background ect), my point was I wasn't worried about my phone having burnin and the koi live wallpaper was just another reason why, I'm sure the chance of burnin is far less with a moving live wallpaper vs. a stagnant photo that many people use as their background.. 

There has been reports of image retention and burn in on the Galaxys already..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-1100788.html

TimStrader wrote:

The koi live wallpaper acts as a screensaver with constant movement(fish, waves, background ect), my point was I wasn't worried about my phone having burnin and the koi live wallpaper was just another reason why, I'm sure the chance of burnin is far less with a moving live wallpaper vs. a stagnant photo that many people use as their background.. 

There has been reports of image retention and burn in on the Galaxys already..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-1100788.html

98 of 130 (1,054 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 5:22:50 AM
(0)
Master
Typical phone burn in happened in status bar. A live wallpaper won't save it other than slow down the phone and consume more battery.
Typical phone burn in happened in status bar. A live wallpaper won't save it other than slow down the phone and consume more battery.

99 of 130 (1,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 7:39:35 AM
(0)
Guru

foxbat121 wrote:
Settings-> about phone-> battery usage. You can also download some apps that give you more details.

I use BetterBatteryStats for pulling wakelock stats.

Also, as far as BLN - I tried implementing a patch from the I9100 over the weekend.  It worked, and it didn't seem to cause any stability problems in the brieft time I tried it, but it DID hold a wakelock on the CPU when the touchkey backlight was on.  As a result, BLN caused significant battery drain.

I'll try again in a few weeks...  It's no longer "low-hanging fruit"

foxbat121 wrote:
Settings-> about phone-> battery usage. You can also download some apps that give you more details.

I use BetterBatteryStats for pulling wakelock stats.

Also, as far as BLN - I tried implementing a patch from the I9100 over the weekend.  It worked, and it didn't seem to cause any stability problems in the brieft time I tried it, but it DID hold a wakelock on the CPU when the touchkey backlight was on.  As a result, BLN caused significant battery drain.

I'll try again in a few weeks...  It's no longer "low-hanging fruit"

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

100 of 130 (1,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 1:21:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

NEW QUESTION:
Has anyone connected their GS2 to Kies and get at the opening screen under "Firmware Information" a message stating "This Version of the device cannot be updated" "Current firmware version ; PDA;KH7 / CSC:KH7 (ATT) ??????

What with that??  I checked and my version of Kies is up to date ( Installed version: Ver.2.0.3.11082_152)

Seems if this isn't rectified we won't get any updates from Samsung or AT&T!!

NEW QUESTION:
Has anyone connected their GS2 to Kies and get at the opening screen under "Firmware Information" a message stating "This Version of the device cannot be updated" "Current firmware version ; PDA;KH7 / CSC:KH7 (ATT) ??????

What with that??  I checked and my version of Kies is up to date ( Installed version: Ver.2.0.3.11082_152)

Seems if this isn't rectified we won't get any updates from Samsung or AT&T!!

101 of 130 (1,078 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 5:11:57 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Oct 10, 2011 at 5:14:54 PM

Where did you download Kies from? I don't believe Samsung USA ever released any full version of Kies to US, there is only Kies Mini for US. But I tried Kies Mini recently and it is not updated to recognize the GS2 yet. International versions of Kies has always rejected any US versions since version 2.0.

In the remote chance that AT&T releases any update to GS2, it will be either OTA or through Kies Mini (which will be updated sooner or later).

With the Captivate, AT&T released one update through OTA and one update through Kies Mini.

Where did you download Kies from? I don't believe Samsung USA ever released any full version of Kies to US, there is only Kies Mini for US. But I tried Kies Mini recently and it is not updated to recognize the GS2 yet. International versions of Kies has always rejected any US versions since version 2.0.

In the remote chance that AT&T releases any update to GS2, it will be either OTA or through Kies Mini (which will be updated sooner or later).

With the Captivate, AT&T released one update through OTA and one update through Kies Mini.

[ Edited ]
102 of 130 (1,040 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 6:38:49 PM
(0)
Scholar

From Samsung's support page, there is no option for Kies Mini for windows, only for Mac??

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobilesoftwaremanual/mobilesoftwaremanual.do?page=MOBILE.SOFTWARE....

From Samsung's support page, there is no option for Kies Mini for windows, only for Mac??

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobilesoftwaremanual/mobilesoftwaremanual.do?page=MOBILE.SOFTWARE.MANUAL

103 of 130 (1,021 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 9:23:06 PM
(0)
Master
You downloaded from Samsung UK site, not US site. And yes, Kies Mini from US site is for Windows.
You downloaded from Samsung UK site, not US site. And yes, Kies Mini from US site is for Windows.

104 of 130 (996 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 10:30:29 PM
(0)
Expert

I'm just reading this...did not know burn-in was a problem for AMOLEDs!  I thought they were the latest and greatest? :smileysad:

foxbat121 wrote:

I'm just reading this...did not know burn-in was a problem for AMOLEDs!  I thought they were the latest and greatest? :smileysad:

foxbat121 wrote:

105 of 130 (987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 4:20:38 AM
(0)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

Kies or Kies mini is not available for download for my phone at Samsung's site, I've registered my phone with Samsung and under "Softwware" for downloads the only file available is the USB Drivers..

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/SGH-I777ZKAATT

foxbat121 wrote:

Kies or Kies mini is not available for download for my phone at Samsung's site, I've registered my phone with Samsung and under "Softwware" for downloads the only file available is the USB Drivers..

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/SGH-I777ZKAATT

106 of 130 (977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 4:57:53 AM
(0)
Master
Because current Kies mini is not compatible with GS2 yet and full Kies is never offered in US. You can download it Kies mini from Captivate section.
Because current Kies mini is not compatible with GS2 yet and full Kies is never offered in US. You can download it Kies mini from Captivate section.

107 of 130 (971 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 5:41:46 AM
(0)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

Ahhh ok I'll look it up.. thx

foxbat121 wrote:

Ahhh ok I'll look it up.. thx

108 of 130 (965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 12:35:39 PM
(0)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

Well that was a lessen in futility... Tried everything under the sun to get Kies  Mini to see my GS2 but never got past "connect Device"..

Tried uninstalling IE9, Installing Framework 4.0, uninstalled Kies Full version, uninstalled Kies  Mini and reinstalled multiple times, Toggled "Unknown sources and USB Debugging" ever possible  way, Put GS2 in Storage mode,  reinstalled drivers multiple  times from Kies Mini pull down menu, installed USB drivers  from Galaxy S2 Support site at Samsung and did this stuff all over again on our other computer (both running Win 7 32bit)... It just does not see my GS2 when I connect it.. I'm stumped!!

foxbat121 wrote:

Well that was a lessen in futility... Tried everything under the sun to get Kies  Mini to see my GS2 but never got past "connect Device"..

Tried uninstalling IE9, Installing Framework 4.0, uninstalled Kies Full version, uninstalled Kies  Mini and reinstalled multiple times, Toggled "Unknown sources and USB Debugging" ever possible  way, Put GS2 in Storage mode,  reinstalled drivers multiple  times from Kies Mini pull down menu, installed USB drivers  from Galaxy S2 Support site at Samsung and did this stuff all over again on our other computer (both running Win 7 32bit)... It just does not see my GS2 when I connect it.. I'm stumped!!

109 of 130 (923 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 12:52:34 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Oct 11, 2011 at 12:57:49 PM

DId you not hear me: it is not compatible with GS2 yet. There is a supported device database comes with Kies/Kies Mini installation that contains all the models Kies or Kies Mini can connect. If the DB doesn't have your phone model listed, you can't do anything about it. There are ways to hack the DB in the past to fill in your device model numbers and fake Kies to accept you but it never worked for me.

Samsung will update the Kies Mini if there is a need to use it to update the firmware of GS2. The only functionality of Kies Mini is to update firmware. Also Kies Mini is more restrictive. If you are running custom ROMs or any ROMs it doesn't recognize (like leaked ROMs), it won't let you connect either.

There is no need to do it right now because there isn't any firmware to update until probably next year.

DId you not hear me: it is not compatible with GS2 yet. There is a supported device database comes with Kies/Kies Mini installation that contains all the models Kies or Kies Mini can connect. If the DB doesn't have your phone model listed, you can't do anything about it. There are ways to hack the DB in the past to fill in your device model numbers and fake Kies to accept you but it never worked for me.

Samsung will update the Kies Mini if there is a need to use it to update the firmware of GS2. The only functionality of Kies Mini is to update firmware. Also Kies Mini is more restrictive. If you are running custom ROMs or any ROMs it doesn't recognize (like leaked ROMs), it won't let you connect either.

There is no need to do it right now because there isn't any firmware to update until probably next year.

[ Edited ]
110 of 130 (915 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 1:30:57 PM
(0)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

My bad, I took the "you can download it Kies mini from Captivate" to mean it would or has worked with the GS2.. Well there's a hour of my life I won't be getting back lol... 

foxbat121 wrote:

My bad, I took the "you can download it Kies mini from Captivate" to mean it would or has worked with the GS2.. Well there's a hour of my life I won't be getting back lol... 

111 of 130 (1,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 1:59:16 PM
(0)
Teacher

When I set my screen bightness to auto, sometimes I see the screen adjusts its brightness when the environment lighting stays the same.

Has anybody else seen this? I just wanted to know if it;s a problem with my unit, or in auto brightness setting you will expect to see this. 

Thanks.

When I set my screen bightness to auto, sometimes I see the screen adjusts its brightness when the environment lighting stays the same.

Has anybody else seen this? I just wanted to know if it;s a problem with my unit, or in auto brightness setting you will expect to see this. 

Thanks.

Screen Auto brightness

112 of 130 (1,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 2:50:49 PM
(0)
Scholar

Shangri-La wrote:

Thanks.

Never had that happen the little time I used "Auto Brightness" but the light sensor is up on top, just left of your earphone on the Screen(not the earphone jack input)..  Is your finger or case if you have one close to the sensor??

Shangri-La wrote:

Thanks.

Never had that happen the little time I used "Auto Brightness" but the light sensor is up on top, just left of your earphone on the Screen(not the earphone jack input)..  Is your finger or case if you have one close to the sensor??

Re: Screen Auto brightness

113 of 130 (1,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 3:39:55 PM
(0)
Master

^^^ It is quite easy to accidentally cover the light sensor on top. And since the screen brightness change has a built-in delay of a few seconds, by the time you noticed it changes, your finger already stayed clear of the sensor. I had this happen to me all the time.

^^^ It is quite easy to accidentally cover the light sensor on top. And since the screen brightness change has a built-in delay of a few seconds, by the time you noticed it changes, your finger already stayed clear of the sensor. I had this happen to me all the time.

Re: Screen Auto brightness

114 of 130 (1,123 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 6:14:59 PM
(0)
Master

I posted earlier that using the built-in email client to sync hotmail calendar with ActiveSync causes continous sync and the resulting battery drain. Microsoft recently released an official Hotmail app for Android. So I downloaded today to try it out. It syncs your email, contacts and calendar without any side effects. Has its own widget as well. The only downside is the lack of customizable ringtone to email notification. Have to stuck with the default Andorid notification ringtone. Running it for the day and no extra battery drain that I can notice.

I posted earlier that using the built-in email client to sync hotmail calendar with ActiveSync causes continous sync and the resulting battery drain. Microsoft recently released an official Hotmail app for Android. So I downloaded today to try it out. It syncs your email, contacts and calendar without any side effects. Has its own widget as well. The only downside is the lack of customizable ringtone to email notification. Have to stuck with the default Andorid notification ringtone. Running it for the day and no extra battery drain that I can notice.

New Hotmail app

115 of 130 (1,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 6:26:15 PM
(0)
Mentor

Samsung just posted today Oct 11 the Kies download 2.0 for the att galaxy s2 on their website under software downloads...

Samsung just posted today Oct 11 the Kies download 2.0 for the att galaxy s2 on their website under software downloads...

Re: New Hotmail app

116 of 130 (1,090 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 6:30:24 PM
(0)
Scholar

brentemery wrote:

Nice, they must have been reading my posts here today lol.. downloading it now..

brentemery wrote:

Nice, they must have been reading my posts here today lol.. downloading it now..

117 of 130 (1,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 6:12:37 AM
(0)
Scholar

Kies update: 

The main reason I wanted and used Kies is to backup my phone in case of problems down the road and I definitely did not want to root this phone just to use a backup program and I'm happy to say it did just what I wanted.. ALTHOUGH the first couple times I tried to do a backup the process hung up at 0% but after a reboot of both the phone and PC it worked perfectly.. I was able to back up my Messages. Memos, Call Logs, Photos, Miscellaneous files, Preferences & Ringtones, Network Settings & Bookmarks and Email Account Information..   I didn't use it to backup my Music and Contacts because Google already handles my Contacts and DoubleTwist loads my music although I use Google Music 4.0.1 for listening.. 

There's also a Firmware update option which I assume will notify me of any updates for my phone(I know never assume anything lol)... But bottom line, Kies did exactly what I wanted..

Kies update: 

The main reason I wanted and used Kies is to backup my phone in case of problems down the road and I definitely did not want to root this phone just to use a backup program and I'm happy to say it did just what I wanted.. ALTHOUGH the first couple times I tried to do a backup the process hung up at 0% but after a reboot of both the phone and PC it worked perfectly.. I was able to back up my Messages. Memos, Call Logs, Photos, Miscellaneous files, Preferences & Ringtones, Network Settings & Bookmarks and Email Account Information..   I didn't use it to backup my Music and Contacts because Google already handles my Contacts and DoubleTwist loads my music although I use Google Music 4.0.1 for listening.. 

There's also a Firmware update option which I assume will notify me of any updates for my phone(I know never assume anything lol)... But bottom line, Kies did exactly what I wanted..

118 of 130 (1,045 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 10:16:52 AM
(0)
Tutor

So when are you going to wipe your phone and try a restore so we all know Kies backup works?  :smileywink:

Apparently many of the backup solutions sorta fall down in the restore area, something that seems like it would be kindof a Bad Thing.

So when are you going to wipe your phone and try a restore so we all know Kies backup works?  :smileywink:

Apparently many of the backup solutions sorta fall down in the restore area, something that seems like it would be kindof a Bad Thing.

119 of 130 (1,019 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 1:58:02 PM
(0)
Scholar

tonydi wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ha, now that you mention it I think I'll make a copy of the back up file just in case if I ever do need to do a restore and/if things screw up and corrupt the original I'll have a back up of my back up :smileyhappy:

tonydi wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ha, now that you mention it I think I'll make a copy of the back up file just in case if I ever do need to do a restore and/if things screw up and corrupt the original I'll have a back up of my back up :smileyhappy:

120 of 130 (998 Views)