Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 2, 2011
4:44:19 PM
View profile
Galaxy S2 Thoughts, Tips, Tricks & Problem fixes.

I figured since thousands like myself will be playing with their new GS2s for the next few weeks/months we might as well have a thread for us Galaxy S2 users to share thoughts, tips, tricks and problem fixs.. Like any new piece of technology there will be things we won't be able to figure out ourselves so let this be a good place to find answers, get tips and learn of great user options available for this gem.... 

I've spent the last 6 hours customizing my new Galaxy S2 and honestly I'm loving every minute of it!! Coming from a WP7 I can't believe how many options and apps are available for me to make this phone "my" phone.. 

LET THE FUN BEGIN Smiley Happy

I figured since thousands like myself will be playing with their new GS2s for the next few weeks/months we might as well have a thread for us Galaxy S2 users to share thoughts, tips, tricks and problem fixs.. Like any new piece of technology there will be things we won't be able to figure out ourselves so let this be a good place to find answers, get tips and learn of great user options available for this gem.... 

I've spent the last 6 hours customizing my new Galaxy S2 and honestly I'm loving every minute of it!! Coming from a WP7 I can't believe how many options and apps are available for me to make this phone "my" phone.. 

LET THE FUN BEGIN Smiley Happy

Galaxy S2 Thoughts, Tips, Tricks & Problem fixes.

129 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(129)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 9:09:35 PM
(0)
Scholar
Ok then it must just be the European versions lol
Ok then it must just be the European versions lol

Re: Galaxy S2 Thoughts, Tips, Tricks & Problem fixes.

61 of 130 (1,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 9:28:02 PM
(0)
Scholar

TimStrader wrote:

Anyone find a app that will flash the camera LED when a message or call comes in?

Now that's a really cool idea!!! It would have to have a light intensity setting though, have you tried the flashlight app "Tiny Flashlight"??  The led flash is VERY bright!!

TimStrader wrote:

Anyone find a app that will flash the camera LED when a message or call comes in?

Now that's a really cool idea!!! It would have to have a light intensity setting though, have you tried the flashlight app "Tiny Flashlight"??  The led flash is VERY bright!!

62 of 130 (1,147 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 10:10:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

ok just making sure it isnt my phone... when u hit the lock button does the screen dim then shut off? it seems like there is a delay and i just want to make sure it just my screen... thanks for the responses

ok just making sure it isnt my phone... when u hit the lock button does the screen dim then shut off? it seems like there is a delay and i just want to make sure it just my screen... thanks for the responses

63 of 130 (1,136 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 11:15:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

Maybe these are common known facts already...?

1.) On the Galaxy S2, just like the other galaxy phones, if you put your finger in the very top of the phone screen and it shows the notification gray bar, and hold it there for a sec or two, it would set the brightness of the screen that you want it too. The the right means brighter, to the left means less.

2.) An embarassing thing happened to me in my Philosphy class today, when I was checking my phone for a message and replied, I pressed the home capacitive button two times (because I thought I missed it at first). Then suddenly, my phone said out loud, "What would you like to do?" My phone was on silent but I guess this is not affected by it...

But anyhow, if you tap the home button twice, it would activate the voice command system (assuming you already cleared the I agree or I accept part of the thing). Man it was embarassing... everyone looked at me and the teacher even paused for a second. 

1.) On the Galaxy S2, just like the other galaxy phones, if you put your finger in the very top of the phone screen and it shows the notification gray bar, and hold it there for a sec or two, it would set the brightness of the screen that you want it too. The the right means brighter, to the left means less.

2.) An embarassing thing happened to me in my Philosphy class today, when I was checking my phone for a message and replied, I pressed the home capacitive button two times (because I thought I missed it at first). Then suddenly, my phone said out loud, "What would you like to do?" My phone was on silent but I guess this is not affected by it...

But anyhow, if you tap the home button twice, it would activate the voice command system (assuming you already cleared the I agree or I accept part of the thing). Man it was embarassing... everyone looked at me and the teacher even paused for a second. 

64 of 130 (1,123 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 12:44:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

Does anyone else have a problem with their text messages where your messages keep piling on top of each other on the very top, but the other person's response piles below, so you'd have to scroll up to see what you wrote, then back down to see what's the newest thing the other person wrote?  Any fixes?  :\

Does anyone else have a problem with their text messages where your messages keep piling on top of each other on the very top, but the other person's response piles below, so you'd have to scroll up to see what you wrote, then back down to see what's the newest thing the other person wrote?  Any fixes?  :\

65 of 130 (1,116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 1:29:28 AM
(0)
Tutor

Also realized that for some reason, my sent date is somehow 2 days off (says Oct 4th) , although I set the display information to the correct time and date (was Oct 6th).

Also realized that for some reason, my sent date is somehow 2 days off (says Oct 4th) , although I set the display information to the correct time and date (was Oct 6th).

66 of 130 (1,110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 6:23:26 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you so much!!!

Thank you so much!!!

67 of 130 (1,093 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 6:25:48 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by daysgirl21 on Oct 7, 2011 at 6:31:48 AM

Also, it's so crazy that you can't send big videos! You would think that a phone that does just about everything else would be able to do that. Maybe there will be an app for it soon?

And I might be stupid but, I have tried downloading those apps to make my texts come up on the screen and they don't work. Do I need to do something to the original settings? Thanks in advance.

Also, it's so crazy that you can't send big videos! You would think that a phone that does just about everything else would be able to do that. Maybe there will be an app for it soon?

And I might be stupid but, I have tried downloading those apps to make my texts come up on the screen and they don't work. Do I need to do something to the original settings? Thanks in advance.

[ Edited ]
68 of 130 (1,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 6:49:29 AM
(0)
Master

archer_jed wrote:

It is the feature of TouchWiz, same exact way as on Captivate. I'd leave the screen on auto. Too bright, you risk burn-in on your screen. Too dim, you can't see it outside under the sun.

archer_jed wrote:

It is the feature of TouchWiz, same exact way as on Captivate. I'd leave the screen on auto. Too bright, you risk burn-in on your screen. Too dim, you can't see it outside under the sun.

69 of 130 (1,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 6:50:48 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Oct 7, 2011 at 6:51:55 AM

TimStrader wrote:

That will do real harm to your battery life if you have a lot of calls or messages.

There are apps that can use your bottom capacitive button backlight for notification light but you may have to root your phone first.

TimStrader wrote:

That will do real harm to your battery life if you have a lot of calls or messages.

There are apps that can use your bottom capacitive button backlight for notification light but you may have to root your phone first.

[ Edited ]
70 of 130 (1,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 12:21:52 PM
(0)
Mentor

foxbat121 wrote:

TimStrader wrote:

Not worried about battery life.  More worried about missing a message. 

foxbat121 wrote:

TimStrader wrote:

Not worried about battery life.  More worried about missing a message. 

71 of 130 (1,302 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 12:52:04 PM
(0)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

TimStrader wrote:

NoLed will let you set it so your bottom capacitive buttons blink when you miss a call, text, email ect..... no rooting or $$ required Smiley Happy

foxbat121 wrote:

TimStrader wrote:

NoLed will let you set it so your bottom capacitive buttons blink when you miss a call, text, email ect..... no rooting or $$ required Smiley Happy

72 of 130 (1,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 1:07:18 PM
(0)
Master

NoLED displays a block/icon on your AMOLD screen, Not buttons. Since it keeps screen alive, it will use more battery juice.

BLN Control  is what uses your button backlight for notification but it requires a custom kernel with BLN mod built-in.

NoLED displays a block/icon on your AMOLD screen, Not buttons. Since it keeps screen alive, it will use more battery juice.

BLN Control  is what uses your button backlight for notification but it requires a custom kernel with BLN mod built-in.

73 of 130 (1,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 1:16:39 PM
(0)
Mentor

Last night I tried to lock my screen using the button on the right side, and it took a picture of my screen.  It did that several times.  I had to let it lock up on its own, then unlock it, to get the right button to lock up the screen again.  I don't know how that happened (screen pictures), but I would like to know how to enable and disable that feature.

Last night I tried to lock my screen using the button on the right side, and it took a picture of my screen.  It did that several times.  I had to let it lock up on its own, then unlock it, to get the right button to lock up the screen again.  I don't know how that happened (screen pictures), but I would like to know how to enable and disable that feature.

74 of 130 (1,289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 1:35:48 PM
(0)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

If you go into NoLed and under the "Miscellaneous" tab there's a option "Disable Backlight" if you uncheck the box there your Capacitive buttons will light up if  you miss a call, text and so on.... Personally I check the box, having the icons pop up every 10 seconds for missed calls and such is enough for me..

foxbat121 wrote:

If you go into NoLed and under the "Miscellaneous" tab there's a option "Disable Backlight" if you uncheck the box there your Capacitive buttons will light up if  you miss a call, text and so on.... Personally I check the box, having the icons pop up every 10 seconds for missed calls and such is enough for me..

75 of 130 (1,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 3:37:00 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Entropy512 on Oct 7, 2011 at 3:38:10 PM

foxbat121 wrote:

BLN isn't implemented yet for any kernels for our device yet.  designgears (maintainer of Cognition ROMs) indicated he's going to try.

However I think we have the same touchkey controller as the Infuse on our variant, and getting BLN working in a stable manner proved to be a NIGHTMARE on that device, to the point where all the kernel devs ripped it out and gave up.  For that reason it's pretty low on my priorities list...  I'm going for standard bootanimation support next.

foxbat121 wrote:

BLN isn't implemented yet for any kernels for our device yet.  designgears (maintainer of Cognition ROMs) indicated he's going to try.

However I think we have the same touchkey controller as the Infuse on our variant, and getting BLN working in a stable manner proved to be a NIGHTMARE on that device, to the point where all the kernel devs ripped it out and gave up.  For that reason it's pretty low on my priorities list...  I'm going for standard bootanimation support next.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

[ Edited ]
76 of 130 (1,268 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 4:20:03 PM
(0)
Master

CincinnatiDan wrote:

If you hold both HOME button and POWER button together, you take a screen shot. This feature, as far as I know, is not configurable. If you can activate the screen shot by just using power button alone, you may have a faulty HOME button or you accidently hold your fingers near the HOME button.

CincinnatiDan wrote:

If you hold both HOME button and POWER button together, you take a screen shot. This feature, as far as I know, is not configurable. If you can activate the screen shot by just using power button alone, you may have a faulty HOME button or you accidently hold your fingers near the HOME button.

77 of 130 (1,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 4:22:31 PM
(0)
Master

Entropy512 wrote:

Sounds like a lot of trouble for a marginally useful feature Smiley Happy

I too were used to notification LEDs in the past but after a year with Captivate, I can say I don't miss that much.

Entropy512 wrote:

Sounds like a lot of trouble for a marginally useful feature Smiley Happy

I too were used to notification LEDs in the past but after a year with Captivate, I can say I don't miss that much.

78 of 130 (1,261 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 5:59:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

I think my comment got deleted...but I had a question, when you use apps like NoLED do you have to disable the settings of the original phone? I've tried everything...thanks

I think my comment got deleted...but I had a question, when you use apps like NoLED do you have to disable the settings of the original phone? I've tried everything...thanks

79 of 130 (1,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 6:31:29 AM
(0)
Scholar

daysgirl21 wrote:

Not sure what you mean but when I downloaded Noled and installed I didn't do anything with the phone settings.. It just worked well right off the bat.. Is Noled not working for you??

daysgirl21 wrote:

Not sure what you mean but when I downloaded Noled and installed I didn't do anything with the phone settings.. It just worked well right off the bat.. Is Noled not working for you??

80 of 130 (1,200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 8:27:00 AM
(0)
Scholar

Got a battery question (should be right up Foxbaits alley lol):

I understand that apps in the "Actuve Applications" use very little memory due to Gingerbreads memory management BUT do  these "active" apps draw any battery power??  My battery has been great (by bedtime I always have 1/3 to 1/4 left), I keep an eye on not letting too many "Active Apps" running pretty much thinking in my eye's mind they may be sucking power from my battery.. Is this a misconception I'm making or do to many "Active Apps" draw power?? 

TIA

I understand that apps in the "Actuve Applications" use very little memory due to Gingerbreads memory management BUT do  these "active" apps draw any battery power??  My battery has been great (by bedtime I always have 1/3 to 1/4 left), I keep an eye on not letting too many "Active Apps" running pretty much thinking in my eye's mind they may be sucking power from my battery.. Is this a misconception I'm making or do to many "Active Apps" draw power?? 

TIA

81 of 130 (1,038 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 10:00:42 AM
(0)
Contributor

quick quesetion about the lock screen... when my phone is locked and i go to unlock it the homebuttons flicker then come on completely... is this normal? please help... as i would rather return it during my 30 days than get stuck with a defective phone...

quick quesetion about the lock screen... when my phone is locked and i go to unlock it the homebuttons flicker then come on completely... is this normal? please help... as i would rather return it during my 30 days than get stuck with a defective phone...

82 of 130 (1,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 10:51:16 AM
(0)
Scholar
Nope mine does that too. Alls good Smiley Happy
Nope mine does that too. Alls good Smiley Happy

83 of 130 (1,016 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 10:51:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

no, it doesn't work for me...well, it only comes up when i get a missed call, not texts, voicemail, etc.

also, does anyone have a problem with the screen timeout going back to 15 seconds automatically. mine keeps changing back even though i set it at 2 minutes

no, it doesn't work for me...well, it only comes up when i get a missed call, not texts, voicemail, etc.

also, does anyone have a problem with the screen timeout going back to 15 seconds automatically. mine keeps changing back even though i set it at 2 minutes

84 of 130 (1,015 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 11:08:18 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Theruling on Oct 8, 2011 at 11:47:28 AM

9 pages of replies I'm surprised no one has mentioned thesecurity flaw in that you can bypass the lock screen. EDIT: I am aware most of this news is because of a seperate bug that shows the lock screen before it is actually supposed too so you aren't actually "bypassing" it - but I have been able to reproduce the bug under the right circumstances.

This hasn't been patched in the first week and while extremely annoying the only fix I can find is to set the lock screen to "immediately" where anytime the screen times out for any length of time it auto-locks. I've heard having enterprise security also causes both bugs to disappear as well.

9 pages of replies I'm surprised no one has mentioned thesecurity flaw in that you can bypass the lock screen. EDIT: I am aware most of this news is because of a seperate bug that shows the lock screen before it is actually supposed too so you aren't actually "bypassing" it - but I have been able to reproduce the bug under the right circumstances.

This hasn't been patched in the first week and while extremely annoying the only fix I can find is to set the lock screen to "immediately" where anytime the screen times out for any length of time it auto-locks. I've heard having enterprise security also causes both bugs to disappear as well.

[ Edited ]
85 of 130 (1,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 11:49:07 AM
(0)
Scholar
I'd say that's because most people don't use a password lock.. I see no need to and mist also feel this way although if it was my wife's phone it would be a issue, she like yourself use/need this option.. there gave been posts about it and apparently AT&T is aware of this issue and will get a update out "eventually"...
I'd say that's because most people don't use a password lock.. I see no need to and mist also feel this way although if it was my wife's phone it would be a issue, she like yourself use/need this option.. there gave been posts about it and apparently AT&T is aware of this issue and will get a update out "eventually"...

86 of 130 (998 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 4:03:15 PM
(0)
Master

pmt1209 wrote:

TIA

It depends. #1 power draw is always screen. If an app keeps screen on (rare), it will draw more power. #2 is active data transfer via either wifi or cell. If an app frequently send or receive data, it will draw more power. So, it all depending on what those apps are doing. The battery usage stats will give you more information about them.

Android also keeps certain amount of frequently used apps precached in memory so that those apps are fast to launch because they don't have to be loaded (and compiled from Java) from the storage. If you kill those apps using a 3rd party task manager, it may cost you more on power usage if you launch them again next time. But carriers are known to take advantage of thie precache system (mostly in Froyo) to cheat the system and preload all the bloatwares.

pmt1209 wrote:

TIA

It depends. #1 power draw is always screen. If an app keeps screen on (rare), it will draw more power. #2 is active data transfer via either wifi or cell. If an app frequently send or receive data, it will draw more power. So, it all depending on what those apps are doing. The battery usage stats will give you more information about them.

Android also keeps certain amount of frequently used apps precached in memory so that those apps are fast to launch because they don't have to be loaded (and compiled from Java) from the storage. If you kill those apps using a 3rd party task manager, it may cost you more on power usage if you launch them again next time. But carriers are known to take advantage of thie precache system (mostly in Froyo) to cheat the system and preload all the bloatwares.

87 of 130 (971 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 8:57:39 PM
(0)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Fox, dumb question I'm sure but where can I access the Battery Usage Stats??

foxbat121 wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Fox, dumb question I'm sure but where can I access the Battery Usage Stats??

88 of 130 (953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 5:32:50 AM
(0)
Master
Settings-> about phone-> battery usage. You can also download some apps that give you more details.
Settings-> about phone-> battery usage. You can also download some apps that give you more details.

89 of 130 (927 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 6:26:30 AM
(0)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

Thank you... Wow display uses 56%, of course I have it on max lol, can't help it it's just too nice to turn down Smiley Happy

Seeing my battery makes it well past bedtime I'll leave it like that but if I know I'm going on the road and want to conserve my battery I will lower it, great info to have..

foxbat121 wrote:

Thank you... Wow display uses 56%, of course I have it on max lol, can't help it it's just too nice to turn down Smiley Happy

Seeing my battery makes it well past bedtime I'll leave it like that but if I know I'm going on the road and want to conserve my battery I will lower it, great info to have..

90 of 130 (925 Views)