Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 2, 2011
4:44:19 PM
View profile
Galaxy S2 Thoughts, Tips, Tricks & Problem fixes.

I figured since thousands like myself will be playing with their new GS2s for the next few weeks/months we might as well have a thread for us Galaxy S2 users to share thoughts, tips, tricks and problem fixs.. Like any new piece of technology there will be things we won't be able to figure out ourselves so let this be a good place to find answers, get tips and learn of great user options available for this gem.... 

I've spent the last 6 hours customizing my new Galaxy S2 and honestly I'm loving every minute of it!! Coming from a WP7 I can't believe how many options and apps are available for me to make this phone "my" phone.. 

LET THE FUN BEGIN Smiley Happy

I figured since thousands like myself will be playing with their new GS2s for the next few weeks/months we might as well have a thread for us Galaxy S2 users to share thoughts, tips, tricks and problem fixs.. Like any new piece of technology there will be things we won't be able to figure out ourselves so let this be a good place to find answers, get tips and learn of great user options available for this gem.... 

I've spent the last 6 hours customizing my new Galaxy S2 and honestly I'm loving every minute of it!! Coming from a WP7 I can't believe how many options and apps are available for me to make this phone "my" phone.. 

LET THE FUN BEGIN Smiley Happy

Galaxy S2 Thoughts, Tips, Tricks & Problem fixes.

129 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(129)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 5:25:49 PM
(0)
Scholar

My first tip which I found very cool is I swapped out the Web App for the Contacts one as one of the Main Bottom 4 docked apps(Phone-Messaging-Web-Applications) and found when you come to any contact in the list if you swipe right on the contact it automatically calls  that person and if you swipe left you can automatically text them..  

Sorry if this is a common tip for Androids but this is my first Smiley Happy

My first tip which I found very cool is I swapped out the Web App for the Contacts one as one of the Main Bottom 4 docked apps(Phone-Messaging-Web-Applications) and found when you come to any contact in the list if you swipe right on the contact it automatically calls  that person and if you swipe left you can automatically text them..  

Sorry if this is a common tip for Androids but this is my first Smiley Happy

Re: Galaxy S2 Thoughts, Tips, Tricks & Problem fixes.

2 of 130 (14,167 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 6:45:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hi guys. I've been playing around with this phone and might I add its hella awesome (as if you guys didnt know that already). Now, one question, can I customize those four icons at the bottom?? Thanks in advance!

Hi guys. I've been playing around with this phone and might I add its hella awesome (as if you guys didnt know that already). Now, one question, can I customize those four icons at the bottom?? Thanks in advance!

3 of 130 (14,144 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 8:17:50 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by scoobydoo on Oct 3, 2011 at 6:17:09 AM

I'm totally diggin' this new extension to my head...lol. I loveit! Best phone I ever owned and I've owned a lot of em'. My wife and older daughter have the i{hones and this blows that hunk a [word filter evasion] outta the water...hands down!!
I love the App, "Smart Keypad" (free) and "Juice Defender" free trial version. Bar Code swipe is way cool too! Works pretty well.
Dying to see how long my data plan's gonna last. I really should stop watching some of the youtube video tutorials the apps have and go look them up on my computer as long as I'm near it although not the first day I have this thing. If I don't use up all the data today alone the way I'm goingh at it, I'll be surprised...lol. Kidding.....I think.

I'm totally diggin' this new extension to my head...lol. I loveit! Best phone I ever owned and I've owned a lot of em'. My wife and older daughter have the i{hones and this blows that hunk a [word filter evasion] outta the water...hands down!!
I love the App, "Smart Keypad" (free) and "Juice Defender" free trial version. Bar Code swipe is way cool too! Works pretty well.
Dying to see how long my data plan's gonna last. I really should stop watching some of the youtube video tutorials the apps have and go look them up on my computer as long as I'm near it although not the first day I have this thing. If I don't use up all the data today alone the way I'm goingh at it, I'll be surprised...lol. Kidding.....I think.

[ Edited ]
4 of 130 (14,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 11:15:59 PM
(0)
Mentor

ohStella wrote:

Yeah you need to go into the Applications screen then hit the lower left menu button.  Click on View Type and select Customizable Grid.  Then after that, click menu again and select Edit.  Now you can move icons around to and from the main 4 as you wish.  Smiley Happy

ohStella wrote:

Yeah you need to go into the Applications screen then hit the lower left menu button.  Click on View Type and select Customizable Grid.  Then after that, click menu again and select Edit.  Now you can move icons around to and from the main 4 as you wish.  Smiley Happy

5 of 130 (14,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 9:51:57 AM
(0)
Tutor
Absolutely loving it so far. I've only one single complaint, and that's the lack of gapless audio playback right out of the box. Meaning -- if you're listening to an album with no distinct gaps between tracks (i.e. live music, electronic mix, etc.) there will be a brief clip between songs. Thankfully, the fix is simple, but not free! Download Poweramp from the Android Market. It's a wonderful third party media player that uses buffering to create true gapless playback of music. There's a 14-day free trial, but the full version costs $4.99. Note that this isn't an advertisement. Gapless playback is very important to me, as most of the music I listen to has no gaps between tracks, and I want to keep it that way. Poweramp is, so far, the only app that can remedy this.
Absolutely loving it so far. I've only one single complaint, and that's the lack of gapless audio playback right out of the box. Meaning -- if you're listening to an album with no distinct gaps between tracks (i.e. live music, electronic mix, etc.) there will be a brief clip between songs. Thankfully, the fix is simple, but not free! Download Poweramp from the Android Market. It's a wonderful third party media player that uses buffering to create true gapless playback of music. There's a 14-day free trial, but the full version costs $4.99. Note that this isn't an advertisement. Gapless playback is very important to me, as most of the music I listen to has no gaps between tracks, and I want to keep it that way. Poweramp is, so far, the only app that can remedy this.

6 of 130 (14,011 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 11:04:31 AM
(0)
Scholar

For those who are like me and had a WP7 phone previous to the GS2 you can access all your photos and documents on SkyDrive using a App called sorami (it's free too).. Only catch is it will only get the files in the "Documents" folder but I just transfered all my photos in SkyDrive over to Documents and then I was able to access and download all the photos I had from my WP7 over to my Galaxy S2.. Worked GREAT!!!! 

For those who are like me and had a WP7 phone previous to the GS2 you can access all your photos and documents on SkyDrive using a App called sorami (it's free too).. Only catch is it will only get the files in the "Documents" folder but I just transfered all my photos in SkyDrive over to Documents and then I was able to access and download all the photos I had from my WP7 over to my Galaxy S2.. Worked GREAT!!!! 

7 of 130 (13,990 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 11:17:12 AM
(0)
Mentor

I put a 32 GB microsd card in mine.  I previously used an LG Env3, and you had to format the card using the phone, which created folders for music, pictures, etc.  I couldn't find a way to format it on the GS2, so I manually created a folder called "Music" on the card.  I copied a few music files to the Music folder and tested to make sure the phone would recognize and play the music.  It did.  So, I started to copy all of my music (11 GB), and soon realized it would take forever.  So, I removed the microsd card from the phone, plugged it into my PC, and copied the music files that way.  It was a lot quicker.

I'm not sure if I should manually create "Pictures" and "Video" folders on the microsd card.  I don't know if I take pictures of video if I will be able to save them to the microsd card.

I put a 32 GB microsd card in mine.  I previously used an LG Env3, and you had to format the card using the phone, which created folders for music, pictures, etc.  I couldn't find a way to format it on the GS2, so I manually created a folder called "Music" on the card.  I copied a few music files to the Music folder and tested to make sure the phone would recognize and play the music.  It did.  So, I started to copy all of my music (11 GB), and soon realized it would take forever.  So, I removed the microsd card from the phone, plugged it into my PC, and copied the music files that way.  It was a lot quicker.

I'm not sure if I should manually create "Pictures" and "Video" folders on the microsd card.  I don't know if I take pictures of video if I will be able to save them to the microsd card.

8 of 130 (13,985 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 11:42:06 AM
(0)
Tutor
Dan, the default camera application on the SG2 has an entry under Options to store taken pictures/video on the phone's internal memory or the microSD card of your choosing. I do believe this will create its own directory structure for pictures/video on the microSD card: DCIM\ and Videos\ respectively. Hope this helps!
Dan, the default camera application on the SG2 has an entry under Options to store taken pictures/video on the phone's internal memory or the microSD card of your choosing. I do believe this will create its own directory structure for pictures/video on the microSD card: DCIM\ and Videos\ respectively. Hope this helps!

9 of 130 (13,973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 11:53:06 AM
(0)
Scholar

does anyone know who to shrink the pic size of screen captures? i figured out how to do it on actually camera shots, but not screen caps.

does anyone know who to shrink the pic size of screen captures? i figured out how to do it on actually camera shots, but not screen caps.

10 of 130 (13,967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 1:39:18 PM
(0)
Scholar
Do you mean adjust the image's size say from 8x10 to 4x7?? If so there's tons of photo editing apps at the market for just about doing anything with photos and many are free..
Do you mean adjust the image's size say from 8x10 to 4x7?? If so there's tons of photo editing apps at the market for just about doing anything with photos and many are free..

11 of 130 (12,134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 1:50:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

pmt1209 wrote:

yeah i took a screen cap yesterday and twipic'd it and it was HUGE lol. i'll try the photo editor that came on the phone

pmt1209 wrote:

yeah i took a screen cap yesterday and twipic'd it and it was HUGE lol. i'll try the photo editor that came on the phone

12 of 130 (12,125 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 3:25:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Oct 3, 2011 at 3:27:34 PM

briank555 wrote:

ohStella wrote:

Thank you for the information! I've had my original Captivate Galaxy S for 7 1/2 months now and I never knew those four buttons could be changed!

Thanks, Brian, coming from a fellow Bryan K. myself. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

briank555 wrote:

ohStella wrote:

Thank you for the information! I've had my original Captivate Galaxy S for 7 1/2 months now and I never knew those four buttons could be changed!

Thanks, Brian, coming from a fellow Bryan K. myself. Smiley Happy

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
13 of 130 (12,104 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 4:50:30 PM
(0)
Scholar
Ok so something minor that's going to drive me crazy. For some reason in my music library some of the songs are in alphabetical order instead of by track number. I noticed it mainly on stuff purchased off iTunes. What did I do wrong lol
Ok so something minor that's going to drive me crazy. For some reason in my music library some of the songs are in alphabetical order instead of by track number. I noticed it mainly on stuff purchased off iTunes. What did I do wrong lol

14 of 130 (12,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 5:52:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

Is there an App thats already been installed or do I need to install one myself that

shows me the amount of data I've used and how full my battery is.

I looked in Settings but don't see anything in there. Is it right in front of my eyes and I'm not finding it??

Oh yeh...When I open my screen from the locked or sleep mode my screen saver comes on along with a clock..and the clock "speaks" the time. Thats kind of annoying. does that happen for everyone or am I just special? How the hel do you turn Ms Talking Robot off??

Mucho thanxo

Is there an App thats already been installed or do I need to install one myself that

I looked in Settings but don't see anything in there. Is it right in front of my eyes and I'm not finding it??

Oh yeh...When I open my screen from the locked or sleep mode my screen saver comes on along with a clock..and the clock "speaks" the time. Thats kind of annoying. does that happen for everyone or am I just special? How the hel do you turn Ms Talking Robot off??

Mucho thanxo

15 of 130 (12,056 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 5:54:59 PM
(0)
Mentor

Mine does not speak the time, ever.

Mine does not speak the time, ever.

16 of 130 (12,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 6:25:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

andybuildz wrote:

Mucho thanxo

To check how much data you have used for the month, dial *3282#. A confimation message should then be sent to your phone containing this data information.

As for an instant battery life remaining app, I use a simple app called 'BatteryLife'. It's free from the Android Market if you choose to download it. This is a convenience because otherwise you'd have to go into the phone's settings and look at the remaining percentage that way, which is a pain.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

andybuildz wrote:

Mucho thanxo

To check how much data you have used for the month, dial *3282#. A confimation message should then be sent to your phone containing this data information.

As for an instant battery life remaining app, I use a simple app called 'BatteryLife'. It's free from the Android Market if you choose to download it. This is a convenience because otherwise you'd have to go into the phone's settings and look at the remaining percentage that way, which is a pain.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

17 of 130 (12,034 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 6:59:53 PM
(0)
Mentor

Finding out how much data you've downloaded:

Calling the number takes a while to get the information sent to you.  I have found a better way.  I use the MyATT app that came with the phone.  I tried registering on my phone, and gave up, and did it on my PC (att.com - much easier, but I am brand new to Android, and smartphones).  I can now logon to MyATT on my phone, and see how many phone minutes I've used, and how much data I've downloaded. 

Finding out how much data you've downloaded:

Calling the number takes a while to get the information sent to you.  I have found a better way.  I use the MyATT app that came with the phone.  I tried registering on my phone, and gave up, and did it on my PC (att.com - much easier, but I am brand new to Android, and smartphones).  I can now logon to MyATT on my phone, and see how many phone minutes I've used, and how much data I've downloaded. 

18 of 130 (12,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 7:51:07 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by WrecklessLove on Oct 3, 2011 at 8:02:33 PM

is anyone ese noticing this phone times out quickly? i turned off the Powersave and i turned the Time Out setting to 2 minutes, and its still timing out at about a minute

is anyone ese noticing this phone times out quickly? i turned off the Powersave and i turned the Time Out setting to 2 minutes, and its still timing out at about a minute

[ Edited ]
19 of 130 (12,008 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 8:56:05 PM
(0)
Mentor

Are you telling me that there isn't a battery indicator on the home screen at the top?

That's nuts.

Are you telling me that there isn't a battery indicator on the home screen at the top?

That's nuts.

20 of 130 (11,985 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 9:24:56 PM
(0)
Scholar

TimStrader wrote:

That's nuts.

There is a Battery icon which is always on the top right side telling you your battery level..

As for checking data used *3282# usually tells me how much data I have used up to the present time within seconds(sends a test message) but there have been a few times I had to redial it if I don't get a reply with a minute but then it always sends it right away..

TimStrader wrote:

That's nuts.

There is a Battery icon which is always on the top right side telling you your battery level..

As for checking data used *3282# usually tells me how much data I have used up to the present time within seconds(sends a test message) but there have been a few times I had to redial it if I don't get a reply with a minute but then it always sends it right away..

21 of 130 (11,960 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 9:30:45 PM
(0)
Scholar

WrecklessLove wrote:

pmt1209 wrote:

Did you download "Reduce Photo Size" app from the market?? It's free and seems to be just what your looking for..

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.shoozhoo.imageresizer&hl=en

WrecklessLove wrote:

pmt1209 wrote:

Did you download "Reduce Photo Size" app from the market?? It's free and seems to be just what your looking for..

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.shoozhoo.imageresizer&hl=en

22 of 130 (11,960 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 12:24:31 AM
(0)
Tutor
Does the AT&T Galaxy S 2 have a lanyard hole?

23 of 130 (11,947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 12:37:56 AM
(0)
Expert

No.  See this post.

pj2009 wrote:

No.  See this post.

pj2009 wrote:

24 of 130 (11,940 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 6:33:20 AM
(0)
Master

None of the Samsung Smartphones I purchased in pass couple years have this lanyard hole: BlackJack1, BlackJack2, Jack, Captivate and GS2. Even the HTC phone I owned recently doesn't have it either, e.g. HTC Pure. So, just like the lack of notification LEDs, AT&T is on the quest to eliminate both features on its line of phones Smiley Happy

pj2009 wrote:

None of the Samsung Smartphones I purchased in pass couple years have this lanyard hole: BlackJack1, BlackJack2, Jack, Captivate and GS2. Even the HTC phone I owned recently doesn't have it either, e.g. HTC Pure. So, just like the lack of notification LEDs, AT&T is on the quest to eliminate both features on its line of phones Smiley Happy

pj2009 wrote:

25 of 130 (11,910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 8:11:48 AM
(0)
Scholar

Soooo... theres no Zoom in on this camera? Smiley Sad

26 of 130 (11,891 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 9:02:19 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by heylillie on Oct 4, 2011 at 9:03:22 AM

I found this:  http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0sMrJH_of8&feature=player_embedded  It shows that you pinch in/out to zoom in/out.  But-- this is an older video.

WrecklessLove wrote:

I found this:  http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0sMrJH_of8&feature=player_embedded  It shows that you pinch in/out to zoom in/out.  But-- this is an older video.

WrecklessLove wrote:

[ Edited ]
27 of 130 (11,883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 9:25:00 AM
(0)
Scholar

heylillie wrote:

WrecklessLove wrote:

Wow! thank you!!! why didnt i think of that? lol 

heylillie wrote:

WrecklessLove wrote:

Wow! thank you!!! why didnt i think of that? lol 

28 of 130 (11,869 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 9:50:10 AM
(0)
Tutor

thought the zoom was controlled by the volume up down when in camera mode the buttons on side of phone -- oh, or are you talking about making a pic larger or msaller that you ar looking at in display.. - sorry misunderstood.

thought the zoom was controlled by the volume up down when in camera mode the buttons on side of phone -- oh, or are you talking about making a pic larger or msaller that you ar looking at in display.. - sorry misunderstood.

29 of 130 (11,863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 10:09:08 AM
(0)
Scholar

jrad13 wrote:

no i was talking about zooming in an out on the camera. ur right. that works too. not sure why i didnt think of that either lol

jrad13 wrote:

no i was talking about zooming in an out on the camera. ur right. that works too. not sure why i didnt think of that either lol

30 of 130 (11,858 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments