Galaxy S2 Thoughts, Tips, Tricks & Problem fixes.

Scholar

Galaxy S2 Thoughts, Tips, Tricks & Problem fixes.

I figured since thousands like myself will be playing with their new GS2s for the next few weeks/months we might as well have a thread for us Galaxy S2 users to share thoughts, tips, tricks and problem fixs.. Like any new piece of technology there will be things we won't be able to figure out ourselves so let this be a good place to find answers, get tips and learn of great user options available for this gem.... 

I've spent the last 6 hours customizing my new Galaxy S2 and honestly I'm loving every minute of it!! Coming from a WP7 I can't believe how many options and apps are available for me to make this phone "my" phone.. 

LET THE FUN BEGIN Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 130 (14,482 Views)
Master

Re: Galaxy S2 Thoughts, Tips, Tricks & Problem fixes.

[ Edited ]

pmt1209 wrote:
This phone BLOWS my old Focus w/WP7 mango out of the water!!!!

I had a feeling you would like the Android platform better. Smiley Wink And with a phone such as the Galaxy S II, the experience cannot be beat by any other phone offered by AT&T!

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 46 of 130 (1,841 Views)
Master

daysgirl21 wrote:

Does anyone know how to send video messages? I can't text or email them. Also, is there a way to increase the volume of the text message notification?

Sure. Tap Applications > Messaging > open up a thread or start a new one whom you'd like to send the video message to > Menu button > Attach > Videos > and then pick your video you'd like to send. There may be a per-second/per KB limit on the ability to send the video, depending on the length of it.

You will have to set the ringer on a louder volume if you'd like your text message tone to sound louder.

Message 47 of 130 (1,838 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Wild Banchi wrote:
I had a feeling you would like the Android platform better. Smiley Wink And with a phone such as the Galaxy S II, the experience cannot be beat by any other phone offered by AT&T!

OMG Wild Banchi this phone & OS is just flat out amazing, even my wife who has always had iPhones and has the iPhone 4 can't believe how much nicer this phone is then hers  Smiley Tongue 

I have a question, with DoubleTwist I can pick any song and make it my main Ringtone but for ringtones for individual contacts it says it must be 300kb or smaller??  Strange it will let me do it as my main default but not individual contacts??

Message 48 of 130 (1,831 Views)
Master

pmt1209 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

OMG Wild Banchi this phone & OS is just flat out amazing, even my wife who has always had iPhones and has the iPhone 4 can't believe how much nicer this phone is then hers  Smiley Tongue 

I have a question, with DoubleTwist I can pick any song and make it my main Ringtone but for ringtones for individual contacts it says it must be 300kb or smaller??  Strange it will let me do it as my main default but not individual contacts??

She's just jealous... Smiley Very Happy

People were complaining about individual contact ringtones on the original Captivate as well. On mine, I could never figure it out...I don't even know if the option is even there, actually... Samsung may have switched this policy as a new feature on the Galaxy S II, but I am still not sure...

Message 49 of 130 (1,830 Views)

ok, i tried to send a video but it says it's too large, i even tried it with really little videos, thanks

Message 50 of 130 (1,828 Views)

also, is there any way to make the text messages put up when the screen is off? thanks

Message 51 of 130 (2,058 Views)
Master

daysgirl21 wrote:

ok, i tried to send a video but it says it's too large, i even tried it with really little videos, thanks

I had a feeling you might run into this... How long are the video clips you are trying to send? I think they can only be 15 seconds long or less.

Message 52 of 130 (2,054 Views)
Master

daysgirl21 wrote:

also, is there any way to make the text messages put up when the screen is off? thanks

Do you mean when incoming text messages are received, the screen should light up? When you receive a call/voicemail/text message, etc., the screen will light up if the phone is locked and you should receive a notification from it.

Sorry if I did not understand your question correctly.

Message 53 of 130 (2,051 Views)
Contributor

lovin this phone. i am new to android, but i have been lurking for some time. couple things i cant figure out if someone could help.  how come the phone will auto-rotate with some apps and not others? i loaded the local newspaper app .and the icon and all comes through, but i cant pinch and zoom nor rotate sideways . i also noticed it wont rotate when cruising through all the apps. also, somehow the text screen i was working with somehow changed. under settings i see there is an android keyboard and a samsung keyboard option but they both seem to be the same. i would like to somehow go back to the keyboard that was presented when i first opened up the phone. thanks, all

Message 54 of 130 (1,983 Views)
Master

Rotation is app specific, e.g. the App has to support the rotation and reacts to it. Not all the apps are designed that way. Even some built-in utilies are not rotateable. For example, the home screen is not rotateable by design (a rotateable home screen is very annoying to use) but when you dock the phone into a dock (landscape) and it goes into docking mode, the home screen will be rotated to landscape.

Message 55 of 130 (1,982 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

daysgirl21 wrote:

Yes, I tried a couple different apps which will do this:

Noled is pretty cool, it will have a small icon pop up periodically on your black screen telling you that you missed a call, text, voice mail, google talk or email. What's neat is if your like me and have  photos associated with your contacts the actual contact photo pops up. You can also set a sleep mode, such as if you don't want it going off through the night while your asleep..

Missed Message is another one that actually lights up your whole screen along with a tone you choose, how long it stays lit is up to you (its fully programable). It has a few more items to program(Calender, Skype ect..)..  

Both are free,, 

Message 56 of 130 (1,949 Views)
Tutor

I bought my S II on Sunday, and love this phone so much! I had the original android right before this, the G1, and can't believe how fast this phone is, and how intuitive Android has become. However, you still have to get an app to add custom ringtones per person for messaging. Not that big of a deal.

However, I have been have reallly, really, slow wifi in my house. On my G1, i got around 3Mbps, and on my S II, i average about 0.5Mbps. I have a Linksys 802.11b router. Could it be the router?? Is the S II optizmized for N??

Message 57 of 130 (1,914 Views)

hey, u guys know how all the videos say that u cant scroll from the last home screen to the first, but u can in Applications? well i CAN do that in the home screens. is it just me? i can just keep scrolling screens and it doesnt stop at the last home screen at all. lol

Message 58 of 130 (1,907 Views)
Mentor

Mine does it too.

Message 59 of 130 (1,877 Views)
Mentor

Anyone find a app that will flash the camera LED when a message or call comes in?

Message 60 of 130 (1,876 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.