Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 13, 2012
11:16:24 PM
View profile
Galaxy S2 Battery spike.. a unseen problem please help me!

Well i love my Galaxy s2 from at&t but this problem is quite.. well ugh.. as you can see nearing the end of my day of just 8 hours my battery begins to decline rapidly and then? my phone gets very hot, reboots and loses 10%-40% battery in seconds... please help me i feel i should call At&t directly or samsung

Well i love my Galaxy s2 from at&t but this problem is quite.. well ugh.. as you can see nearing the end of my day of just 8 hours my battery begins to decline rapidly and then? my phone gets very hot, reboots and loses 10%-40% battery in seconds... please help me i feel i should call At&t directly or samsung

Galaxy S2 Battery spike.. a unseen problem please help me!

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2012 7:11:10 AM
(0)
Teacher

Can no one help me? i feel maybe i should root my phone, maybe its this stock rom that is causing the problems 

Can no one help me? i feel maybe i should root my phone, maybe its this stock rom that is causing the problems 

Re: Galaxy S2 Battery spike.. a unseen problem please help me!

2 of 15 (1,858 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2012 12:31:39 PM
(0)
Employee
If you ignore the spike 9 hours on with that much battery left is fine
If you ignore the spike 9 hours on with that much battery left is fine
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 15 (1,830 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2012 9:02:12 AM
(0)
Teacher

oh yes, thats a perfect solution, just ignore my phone is malfunctioning and now i'm stuck in a 2 year contract with a device that is not operating correctly... i already called at&t and their giving my a refurb.. that sucks i paid for a new device now i get a fixed one? ha might just cancel now

oh yes, thats a perfect solution, just ignore my phone is malfunctioning and now i'm stuck in a 2 year contract with a device that is not operating correctly... i already called at&t and their giving my a refurb.. that sucks i paid for a new device now i get a fixed one? ha might just cancel now

4 of 15 (1,789 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2012 11:04:54 AM
(0)
Employee
Yes, replacements are refurbs. any and all carriers do that so cancelling would only be out if spite and not because its better anywhere else.
Yes, replacements are refurbs. any and all carriers do that so cancelling would only be out if spite and not because its better anywhere else.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 15 (1,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 7:16:33 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Entropy512 on Apr 16, 2012 at 7:17:48 AM

Are you running UCKK6?  That looks like a classic example of the BT-AMP bug present in UCKK6 where the wifi chip goes nuts and keeps waking up the phone.  Unfortunately there's no way to confirm whether that bug is the cause of your problem without rooting.  Smiley Sad  (Actually there might be...  Need to investigate...)

There are two solutions:

1) Revert to UCKH7 - There's no officially supported way of doing this.  I have unofficial packages at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1286432 for UCKH7 and UCKK6

2) Switch to an international firmware base like XWLA4 - This is a much more difficult process (involving flashing a porting package) but provides a much more polished firmware.  This includes the ability to run Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) firmwares such as I9100 XWLP7, although in my opinion, Gingerbread firmwares are still ahead of ICS in terms of stability.

The way the I777's fuel gauge is designed, it will artificially report low for 1-2 hours if rebooted on low (<50-60%) battery.

Are you running UCKK6?  That looks like a classic example of the BT-AMP bug present in UCKK6 where the wifi chip goes nuts and keeps waking up the phone.  Unfortunately there's no way to confirm whether that bug is the cause of your problem without rooting.  Smiley Sad  (Actually there might be...  Need to investigate...)

There are two solutions:

1) Revert to UCKH7 - There's no officially supported way of doing this.  I have unofficial packages at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1286432 for UCKH7 and UCKK6

2) Switch to an international firmware base like XWLA4 - This is a much more difficult process (involving flashing a porting package) but provides a much more polished firmware.  This includes the ability to run Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) firmwares such as I9100 XWLP7, although in my opinion, Gingerbread firmwares are still ahead of ICS in terms of stability.

The way the I777's fuel gauge is designed, it will artificially report low for 1-2 hours if rebooted on low (<50-60%) battery.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

[ Edited ]
6 of 15 (1,752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 10:44:31 AM
(0)
Teacher

these are my specs and info, i've never rooted my phone or installed a custom rom so it's a virgin galaxy s2 i777 Smiley Happy 

these are my specs and info, i've never rooted my phone or installed a custom rom so it's a virgin galaxy s2 i777 Smiley Happy 

7 of 15 (1,734 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 1:06:26 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by ShaunMN on Apr 16, 2012 at 1:28:03 PM

I, for one, am not above canceling out of spite!  It's the problem with the U.S. wireless oligopoly that feeds this monster.  Carriers can treat customers like {word filter evasion} because there are few alternatives.

I, for one, am not above canceling out of spite!  It's the problem with the U.S. wireless oligopoly that feeds this monster.  Carriers can treat customers like {word filter evasion} because there are few alternatives.

[ Edited ]
8 of 15 (1,718 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 2:38:42 PM
(0)
Master

Yes, 2.3.6 or UCKK6 stock ROM is known to have this issue. There are already a few threads about this issue for a while now. There is no solution until AT&T releases another ROM. If you can't wait, follow what Entropy posted above.

Madhat wrote:

Yes, 2.3.6 or UCKK6 stock ROM is known to have this issue. There are already a few threads about this issue for a while now. There is no solution until AT&T releases another ROM. If you can't wait, follow what Entropy posted above.

Madhat wrote:

9 of 15 (1,708 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2012 7:51:42 AM
(0)
Guru

foxbat121 wrote:

Madhat wrote:

Well, no solution if you want to be "official".

I never had the problem in the first place...  Just XXKI3's slightly open packet filters for a while, and that went away when I switched to XWKL1 in early January.

foxbat121 wrote:

Madhat wrote:

Well, no solution if you want to be "official".

I never had the problem in the first place...  Just XXKI3's slightly open packet filters for a while, and that went away when I switched to XWKL1 in early January.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

10 of 15 (1,680 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2012 7:56:43 AM
(0)
Master

I think one way to work around the bug is turn off the wifi when you don't need it. That's how my friend's phone gets around. 

I think one way to work around the bug is turn off the wifi when you don't need it. That's how my friend's phone gets around. 

11 of 15 (1,670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2012 8:39:17 AM
(0)
Teacher

well after posting my problem here i've gotten a lot of help, after treaking my settings a bit im getting better battery life, but my andriod system still wont sleep properly guess  i'll just have to live with it unless i root or wait for ICS thanks all Smiley Happy)

well after posting my problem here i've gotten a lot of help, after treaking my settings a bit im getting better battery life, but my andriod system still wont sleep properly guess  i'll just have to live with it unless i root or wait for ICS thanks all Smiley Happy)

12 of 15 (1,667 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2012 4:25:43 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by rofelst on May 18, 2012 at 4:26:18 PM

I've been having this problem since the official 2.3.6 version came out for the AT&T Galaxy S2. Reported the problem to both AT&T tech and Samsung a number of times and both are not confirming the issue, thus no fix recommended. Either, they are blind or not reading forum threads. It's the WiFi radio using up the battery when connecting to certain routers, specifically 2Wire routers. Guess what, also used by AT&T. From what I'm reading from the XDA Developers site, there is already a fix to the radio issue without necessarily changing the entire firmware version. Samsung made the fix but AT&T is probably just too way behind in development due to bloatware compatibilities or doesnt care at all. I'm stuck with this beautiful phone and just ruined by the AT&T experience. They just probably don't want us to use WiFi so we get more data usage. I'm resorting to just turning it off to save battery life, but that's like missing out on the 50% capability of the phone. Good luck with the official ICS version. From what I hear, it will use the same UCCK6 radio driver/code. I will just root the phone and flash SHOStock ICS or AOSKP ICS ROM. Warranty is useless anyway.

I've been having this problem since the official 2.3.6 version came out for the AT&T Galaxy S2. Reported the problem to both AT&T tech and Samsung a number of times and both are not confirming the issue, thus no fix recommended. Either, they are blind or not reading forum threads. It's the WiFi radio using up the battery when connecting to certain routers, specifically 2Wire routers. Guess what, also used by AT&T. From what I'm reading from the XDA Developers site, there is already a fix to the radio issue without necessarily changing the entire firmware version. Samsung made the fix but AT&T is probably just too way behind in development due to bloatware compatibilities or doesnt care at all. I'm stuck with this beautiful phone and just ruined by the AT&T experience. They just probably don't want us to use WiFi so we get more data usage. I'm resorting to just turning it off to save battery life, but that's like missing out on the 50% capability of the phone. Good luck with the official ICS version. From what I hear, it will use the same UCCK6 radio driver/code. I will just root the phone and flash SHOStock ICS or AOSKP ICS ROM. Warranty is useless anyway.

[ Edited ]
13 of 15 (1,525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2012 11:54:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

I had the same battery usage problem when ATT did the Gingerbread firmware update firm version  2.3.6 from 2.3.4. The only way to fix this issue is using Entrophy512 method #1 (which is the easiest). You need to revert back to the original GB Android version of 2.3.4. The build # should be UCKH7 not UCKK6. There are links provided by Entropy512 on step by step instructions to change the firmware back to the original GB release. FYI-the new GB release from ATT does not work.

I had the same battery usage problem when ATT did the Gingerbread firmware update firm version  2.3.6 from 2.3.4. The only way to fix this issue is using Entrophy512 method #1 (which is the easiest). You need to revert back to the original GB Android version of 2.3.4. The build # should be UCKH7 not UCKK6. There are links provided by Entropy512 on step by step instructions to change the firmware back to the original GB release. FYI-the new GB release from ATT does not work.

14 of 15 (1,413 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2012 8:30:45 AM
(0)
Guru

My personal recommendations:

1)  Ported XWLA4 for Gingerbread

2)  Ported XXLPS or XWLPF for ICS

3)  CM9 as another ICS option

Right now XWLA4 is the best bet for wifi - but this may change within the next few days once I fix up some glitches caused by the GT-N7000 wifi drivers.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT use any of the AT&T ICS leaks - they suffer from the same "Superbrick" bug as the Sprint ICS leaks and GT-N7000 official ICS releases.  If you want ICS on the SGH-I777 - make absolutely sure you're using a custom kernel.  The Samsung leaks are dangerous.

My personal recommendations:

1)  Ported XWLA4 for Gingerbread

2)  Ported XXLPS or XWLPF for ICS

3)  CM9 as another ICS option

Right now XWLA4 is the best bet for wifi - but this may change within the next few days once I fix up some glitches caused by the GT-N7000 wifi drivers.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT use any of the AT&T ICS leaks - they suffer from the same "Superbrick" bug as the Sprint ICS leaks and GT-N7000 official ICS releases.  If you want ICS on the SGH-I777 - make absolutely sure you're using a custom kernel.  The Samsung leaks are dangerous.

15 of 15 (1,377 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments