Galaxy S II difference between models

Scholar

Galaxy S II difference between models

I've been waiting for the new S II Skyrocket, and now decided to go with the previous one. ATT corporate stores don't have it. Best Buy has it, but different models are listed - Model: i777  and Model: SAM T989 Galaxy S II. What the difference between these two?

Message 1 of 22 (21,264 Views)
Mentor

Re: Galaxy S II difference between models


12Chris34 wrote:

I've been waiting for the new S II Skyrocket, and now decided to go with the previous one. ATT corporate stores don't have it. Best Buy has it, but different models are listed - Model: i777  and Model: SAM T989 Galaxy S II. What the difference between these two?



Pretty sure the I-777 is the non LTE version for AT&T, and not sure about the other one. 

Message 2 of 22 (21,231 Views)
Master

Re: Galaxy S II difference between models

Any model starts with T is a T-mobile version, not AT&T version. For Samsung Smartphones on AT&T, it always starts with SGH-ixxx.

Message 3 of 22 (21,215 Views)
Scholar

Re: Galaxy S II difference between models

I was waiting for the LTE version cause AT&T pulled all the S IIs from their stores. It's just too dang big. Both of these are on the Best Buy site - their the previous versions - not LTE.

Message 4 of 22 (21,204 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Re: Galaxy S II difference between models

The non-LTE version is SGH-i777. The LTE version is SGH-i727

Message 5 of 22 (21,193 Views)
Master

Re: Galaxy S II difference between models

I can easily see how someone would get confused by this. Samsung should have named the Galaxy S II LTE something else. Perhaps the "Attain", for which the original S II was going to be called.

Releasing these phones within weeks of one another does not help much, either. It will likely be difficult for people to distinguish which variant of the Galaxy S II they have - the original one, or the LTE version.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 6 of 22 (21,168 Views)
Scholar

Re: Galaxy S II difference between models

Will the original s2 stil get ICS?

Message 7 of 22 (21,142 Views)
Master

Re: Galaxy S II difference between models

Of course, probably before Skyrocket.

Message 8 of 22 (21,139 Views)
Scholar

Re: Galaxy S II difference between models

[ Edited ]

Why do you say that? What are you basing your comment on? You think Samsung is not going to abandon the Org S2?


foxbat121 wrote:

Of course, probably before Skyrocket.




Message 9 of 22 (21,137 Views)

Re: Galaxy S II difference between models


raiu wrote:

Why do you say that? What are you basing your comment on? You think Samsung is not going to abandon the Org S2?


foxbat121 wrote:

Of course, probably before Skyrocket.





The original GS2 is their flagship device.  The I777 - not quite, but it's about 95%+ identical to the I9100.

 

The Skyrocket, along with the T-Mobile T989, are abominations that are completely undeserving of the Galaxy S II name.  There's a reason the T989 wasn't even allowed out of the lucite box at the August GSII launch event.  The T989 and I727 had their design compromised to fit nonstandard radios - instead of Samsung's own Exynos, it has a Qualcomm Snapdragon that needs to be clocked significantly higher (1.5 GHz) to even match the Exynos at 1.2 GHz.  Higher clock means more power consumption - remember the Pentium 4, the chip that ran hot and didn't perform that well compared to the Pentium M or AMD Athlon XP/Athlon64?  The Snapdragon is the same deal.

 

The Skyrocket is fat, heavy, poorly performing, and a niche device with no commonality with anything else on the planet except for the T-Mobile T989.

 

The I777, on the other hand, is 95%+ identical to Samsung's international flagship, the GT-I9100.

 

Supposedly the I9100 is going to get ICS in December or January.  Expect unofficial ports to the I777 within a few weeks of that.  Now official upgrades from AT&T - don't get your hopes up, but that's another reason to avoid the Skyrocket.  No commonality means no other device to leverage for update sources.

Message 10 of 22 (21,127 Views)
Scholar

Re: Galaxy S II difference between models

Thank you! That made my mind up about calling in and letting them have it. Smiley Happy

I just bought the Org S2 2 weeks ago. I was wondering if I should call to switch it out. I live where there is currently no LTE so thats a big push to keep what I have as well.
Message 11 of 22 (20,762 Views)
Guru

Re: Galaxy S II difference between models

Abomination is pretty harsh.
The Skyrocket is great for anything you want to do with. If you want to change ROMS, you should go with the OGSGII because the Skyrocket wont have much support. But im pretty sure, the average user wont notice much, if any difference between the two. Unless your in an LTE market and run data speed tests.
Most people are clueless to "quadrant scores" or Antutu. Im familiar with and still went with the Skyrocket, mainly because im in an LTE area. The few games I play... No performance difference between the two. But, this only my opinion.
Message 12 of 22 (20,744 Views)
Master

Re: Galaxy S II difference between models


Entropy512 wrote:

raiu wrote:

Why do you say that? What are you basing your comment on? You think Samsung is not going to abandon the Org S2?


foxbat121 wrote:

Of course, probably before Skyrocket.





The original GS2 is their flagship device.  The I777 - not quite, but it's about 95%+ identical to the I9100.

 

The Skyrocket, along with the T-Mobile T989, are abominations that are completely undeserving of the Galaxy S II name.  There's a reason the T989 wasn't even allowed out of the lucite box at the August GSII launch event.  The T989 and I727 had their design compromised to fit nonstandard radios - instead of Samsung's own Exynos, it has a Qualcomm Snapdragon that needs to be clocked significantly higher (1.5 GHz) to even match the Exynos at 1.2 GHz.  Higher clock means more power consumption - remember the Pentium 4, the chip that ran hot and didn't perform that well compared to the Pentium M or AMD Athlon XP/Athlon64?  The Snapdragon is the same deal.

 

The Skyrocket is fat, heavy, poorly performing, and a niche device with no commonality with anything else on the planet except for the T-Mobile T989.

 

The I777, on the other hand, is 95%+ identical to Samsung's international flagship, the GT-I9100.

 

Supposedly the I9100 is going to get ICS in December or January.  Expect unofficial ports to the I777 within a few weeks of that.  Now official upgrades from AT&T - don't get your hopes up, but that's another reason to avoid the Skyrocket.  No commonality means no other device to leverage for update sources.


I agree. I will never wait AT&T for an update. Leaked ROMs are my cup of tea. For example, I have leaked AT&T GingerBread ROM on Captivate before last summer. Now I alreayd sold my Captivate and the official GingerBread release is still no where to be found from AT&T. I'd expect the same for ICS release. I will get leaked ICS ROMs long before AT&T release them. And I'm confident i777 ROMs are easier and quicker to come by thanks to its 95% resemblence to i9100.

Message 13 of 22 (20,743 Views)
Scholar

Re: Galaxy S II difference between models

Oh jeesh, I went to the AT&T store today and decided to get the Skyrocket, mostly because it is a lot less expensive than what is was said to be, is LTE ready, and didn't seem as cumbersome as the specs seemed when I read them. The original S II costs twice as much! AT&T corporate stores don't even have them.

 

What determines when Android is upgraded on any particular smartphone?

Message 14 of 22 (20,716 Views)
Master

Re: Galaxy S II difference between models


12Chris34 wrote:

Oh jeesh, I went to the AT&T store today and decided to get the Skyrocket, mostly because it is a lot less expensive than what is was said to be, is LTE ready, and didn't seem as cumbersome as the specs seemed when I read them. The original S II costs twice as much! AT&T corporate stores don't even have them.

 

What determines when Android is upgraded on any particular smartphone?


A) if the specifications can handle the android update and B) whenever ATT decides to release the update. The kicker will be part "B" and its time schedule.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 22 (20,711 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.