Ask a question

Posted Oct 6, 2011
8:26:03 PM
Galaxy S II Wifi trouble

I've had the S II since Sunday, and really love this phone. I switched to At&T after being with another carrier for over 8 years just to get this phone. 

Im used to having unlimited data, but now I'm stuck with the 2 gig limit. I thought I could overcome this issue by using my home wifi, but the speeds have been extremely slow on my wifi. I average around 2Mbps on At&t's network, and I average and abysmal 0.50 Mbps on my home wifi. My laptops/PS3 run fine. Even my previous android phone had decent speeds on the wifi. I don't know why I am getting such slow speeds on the S II. Another person who uses my wifi has an Infuse and they have really slow speeds on the wifi as well. However, they don't use it as much because they have the unlimited plan.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have a Linksys 802.11b router.

Galaxy S II Wifi trouble

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 9:00:39 PM
(0)
Scholar

That's strange, I get very good speeds via my home WiFi as you can see by my screenshot.. I've made no adjustments to my phone or router settings, both are stock/default.. Although this router came highly recommended by a friend of mine who is truly knowledgable on getting the best computer/wifi components.. I have Comcast Cable modem with a ZyXEL X-550_v1 router, its actually located in the basement and the test I ran is with my GS2 on the 1st floor.. As a whole I'd say the issue isn't the GS2, not saying yours rather in general,  could be a problem with your particular phone though, I'd take it to your local AT&T store and run speed tests on your phone then another on one they have either on display to that a sales rep has(the GS2 is popular with the reps too I have noticed lol).

Re: Galaxy S II Wifi trouble

2 of 10 (1,593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 9:33:58 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by WrecklessLove on Oct 6, 2011 at 9:34:28 PM

My speeds on my wifi are pretty good to be honest. not that good on the so called 4G

SC20111007-001255.png

[ Edited ]
3 of 10 (1,578 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 6:56:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have time warner, so I don't think I'll be able to get the router you have. Yeah I was thinking about trying someone else's wifi to see if it's my router. I'm going to go to the ATT store and try it out on there wifi. Hopefully it's not the phone!

4 of 10 (1,550 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 8:29:43 AM
(0)
Teacher

My wifi signal and speeds are very spotty, we use the inlaws wifi, they are right next door and the ps3 and my wireless bridges have no problem maintaining Wireless N speeds but sometimes my phone can't even break 1mbps and other times it hits 12+

5 of 10 (1,542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 11:25:48 AM
(0)
Scholar

Will1031 wrote:

I have time warner, so I don't think I'll be able to get the router you have. Yeah I was thinking about trying someone else's wifi to see if it's my router. I'm going to go to the ATT store and try it out on there wifi. Hopefully it's not the phone!

Will the router is mine.... The service and modem is comcast's but the ZyXEL X-550 router is mine which I believe I purchased at Newegg.. Time warner I would think would have comparable or better internet speeds..  You could borrow a friends router and try it on your system to see if there's a difference.. Hope you get it figured out 

6 of 10 (1,525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 1:07:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

pmt1209

I went to the At&t store today. Kind of my felt like I was in an Apple store, but I digress. The at&t representative tethered with his Galaxy S II because they didn't have a public wifi. My phone got about 1.5Mbps, which is still a lot better than what I'm getting on my home wifi. He suggested I get a new router, since I running a 9yr wireless b router. He said I should consider getting a dual band simulatenous wireless N router. I'll do some research on the router you suggested and other ones to see what my best options are.

7 of 10 (1,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 3:31:32 PM
(0)
Guru

Netgear WNDR3700 is fairly popular.

I would not expect an 802.11b router to perform well nowdays, especially if you have any interference near you.

Even a vanilla 802.11g router would provide a significant improvement for you.  I get great results with an old Buffalo WHR-G54S (unfortunately no longer on the market...)

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

8 of 10 (1,498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 8:40:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

I think I've solved the problem. It was definitely the router. I picked up the Netgear N600 Dual Band Wirelesss N (WNDR3400). I was considering the 3700, but the guy at best buy told me the 3400 should be fine, and he was right. I've been averaging around 10Mb/s, closer to 19 when I'm closer to the router, which is a welcoming change. Now I can finally do some serious video streaming on my phone. Thanks to everyone for help/suggestions. They were all appreciated!

9 of 10 (1,482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 6:28:07 AM
(0)
Scholar

Will1031 wrote:

I think I've solved the problem. It was definitely the router. I picked up the Netgear N600 Dual Band Wirelesss N (WNDR3400). I was considering the 3700, but the guy at best buy told me the 3400 should be fine, and he was right. I've been averaging around 10Mb/s, closer to 19 when I'm closer to the router, which is a welcoming change. Now I can finally do some serious video streaming on my phone. Thanks to everyone for help/suggestions. They were all appreciated!

Nice... Glad you got it figured out Will.. GS2 does a awesome job streaming too, what a great display!! Enjoy..

10 of 10 (1,449 Views)