Helpful Links

Galaxy S II Skyrocket HD - Discussion

ACE - Professor

Galaxy S II Skyrocket HD - Discussion

Hi guys!

Yesterday at CES 2012, 6 new devices were announced. There will be 2 new Samsung devices, the Galaxy SII Skyrocket HD and the Samsung Exhilarate. The devices coming up seem very interesting, I especiallly love that LTE will be coming to Windows Phone as well. However, while all this is interesting, I have to say I'm quite a bit disappointed in the Galaxy Skyrocket HD.

The reason I say this is because the design has already been used twice, and now it's being used for a third time. For those of you who are wondering, the second use was the Skyrocket, upgraded with an LTE antenna from the original Galaxy SII phone. The upcoming Skyrocket HD doesn't seem to have any new features that would want us as consumers to actual buy it over the original Skyrocket, in my opinion. For example:

1) The both have dual core processorss

2) Same design

3) Same graphics

4) Same screen material

I'm all about upgrades, but not same designs. It's kind of unappealing since theres no originality anymore when it's reused. The only differences I see thus far right off the bat is that on the Skyrocket HD, it says "AT&T" on the left hand corner (hate that on Android; looks ok in iPhones). The second difference is screen size, the Skyrocket has a 4.5 inch screen and the HD has a 4.65 inch screen.

(Yes, I know AT&T does not make the device; but they wont sell as efficiently compared to others to be honest Smiley Tongue)

What do you guys think about this particular device?

~ Evandela ~

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 43
Master

Re: Galaxy S II Skyrocket HD - Discussion

Actually, there were three Samsung devices announced. The third one is Galaxy Note, a 5.3" 1280x800 screen phone. You forgot the biggest difference between Skyrocket and Skyrocket HD is the screen resolution. The later has the same screen as Galaxy Nexus, 4.65" 1280x720 HD screen. That's will be the biggest attraction point for Skyrocket HD although no one knows exactly how the same Snapdragon processor can handle the HD screen.

I'll take a 720p HD screen over any 800x480 screen any day, pentile or not.

Only thing comes out of all this, the current Skyrocket owners are screwedSmiley Happy

Message 2 of 43
ACE - Professor

Oops! I forgot about the Galaxy Note lol. Smiley Happy

I did forget to mention the resolution as well haha. Smiley Happy Like I said, I'm all about upgrades, but the design is the same and I think because of this it makes the HD a bit unappealing since in reality it's not too different from the original skyrocket. I also loathe seeing the AT&T logo on the left hand corner of the Android (its just unattractive to me lol)

I don't follow, why are Skyrocket owners out of luck? Is it the resolution you mentioned? Smiley Tongue
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 43
Master

Because the original Skyrocket is only two months old and it is already been replaced by a newer and better model. The HD screen IS a big deal. It's like try to tell ppl who have the HDTV that your old SD TV is just as good Smiley Happy

I may forgive the inferior processor in it and pick one up for the sake of HD screen. 720p is the minimum spec for high end Android phones from now on. WVGA is so last generation and will be reserved for low end entry level phones.

Message 4 of 43
ACE - Professor

True. Smiley Tongue Nice analogy too lol.

Still, kinda wish Samsung would change the actual design instead of just making hardware upgrades on the phone itself.

While what you what your saying is absolutely true, when a customer walks into a store and asks: "What's the difference?", and the resolution is mentioned, what else would make the device stand out more? Resolution is a very big deal, but speed is too. Smiley Happy Even for those who are not tech-savvy will look more into speed than resolution most of the time. Smiley Tongue

It's like saying great picture, but what good is that when the refresh rate isn't up to par compared to the TV released 1 week ago. Smiley Tongue
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 43
Master

That's why I mentioned the performance is unknown at this time. But they are already a few LTE tablets running at this resolution

Message 6 of 43
ACE - Professor

That's true too. I guess it all depends on the hardware as you mentioned since the tech used in tablets are slightly more powerful. Smiley Tongue
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 43

Yes, I am one of the og Skyrocket owners. I also had the GSII. Starting to have issues, would advise against the Skyrocket or Skyrocket HD.
Really interested in the New Sony xperia Ion.

Love my phone-when it is working right!!
Message 8 of 43
Master

Evandela wrote:
That's true too. I guess it all depends on the hardware as you mentioned since the tech used in tablets are slightly more powerful. Smiley Tongue

Not really the Samsung 8.9 LTE tab released on AT&T uses the exact same Snapdragon 1.5Ghz CPU.

Message 9 of 43
ACE - Professor

Does it really? I guess I'll have to look into that tablet Smiley Tongue
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 43

Does Skyrocket has pentile or not screen?

Message 11 of 43
Master

Skyrocket has the SAMOLED Plus screen which is not pentile. But it only has WVGA (800x480) resolution.

Skyrocket has the SAMOLED screen which is pentile. But it has 1280x720 HD screen.

I've owned a Pentile SAMOLED phone before, Samsung Captivate. Now I own GS2 which is not Pentile. Personally I can't see the difference unless you examine the pixels under magnifiers.

Message 12 of 43

Captivate had pentile matrix? What about infuse?
Message 13 of 43
Master

Infuse has non-pentile screen.
Message 14 of 43

Captivate is Pentile

Infuse is non-Pentile

I777 is non-Pentile

Skyrocket - non-Pentile?

GNex - Pentile

Skyrocket HD - Pentile + Qualcomm CPU = horrible phone.  Smiley Sad

Message 15 of 43
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support