Galaxy S II Backup?

Teacher

Galaxy S II Backup?

I've looked for backup apps and with the exception of the ones that require rooting the phone, none of the others seem to be reliable.  Then I saw that supposedly this phone has a Google-provided cloud storage backup.

If you look in Settings->Privacy, you can see the "Back up my data" option. This supposedly goes to Google servers.

Does this actually work, and if so, how do you actually initiate the backup?

Presuming this feature is functional, where can I go to see that there's a backup file created?  I have multiple Google accounts.

Message 1 of 9 (2,373 Views)
Master

Re: Galaxy S II Backup?

It is an automatic sync. So your basic settings, downloaded apps etc are backed up but not everything. So if you factory reset your phone or switch to a new phone, when you first sign in to your Google account, it will restore those stuff. It is not user controllable and not always work. And won't restore non-Gmail email accounts IIRC. This is backed up to your main Gmail account, the first one you put in when you have the phone.

I won't think this as backup. Nice to have.

Message 2 of 9 (2,370 Views)
Teacher

But how do you know it actually backed up stuff if you can't log into your Gmail account (frankly, I don't recall which one I entered first) and see some evidence that it's backed up?

Something I read said it backed up your apps, settings like WiFi login info and other customization settings.  Is that your understanding as well?

I'd love to hear from someone who has actually used this feature to recover.

Message 3 of 9 (2,347 Views)
Master

There is no way to check and don't always restore. As for your google account, you better find out which one because it it's your identity account. Your purchased app and other stuff are associated with it.
Message 4 of 9 (2,334 Views)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:
There is no way to check and don't always restore. As for your google account, you better find out which one because it it's your identity account. Your purchased app and other stuff are associated with it.

But is there a back up app that works like iTunes and backs up everything (settings and such), so if by chance you need to do a hard reset or replace this phone it will restore it as it is??   That is without rooting the phone..

Message 5 of 9 (2,328 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

TitaniumBackup is one but it requires root. Anything that can do full backup is going to require root because you just can't backup and restore everything if you can't have access to privileged system settings.

Both iPhone and WP7 have to use their PC companion software to do full back and restore. And since they are closed platforms, it is easy to bypass the security requirements.

Android has no PC software. It is designed to be a cloud computing device.

Message 6 of 9 (2,325 Views)
Mentor

I'm still using the Captivate, but my $.02 is... 

There are several good backup apps on the market (LookOut, Norton, ect). Search the market for backup utilities. You should also look on the Samsung site for Kies software, but I think AT&T has gutted it on their sets. Stay away from software that using Apple iTunes or MS Active Sync if your backing up to a PC (like Missing Sync) unless you already have iTunes installed. They have embedded services that I don't trust because they keep running when you're not using them. Best to stick to open source software. One more thing, I haven't been on the XDA forum lately, but they have the very best answers to anything regarding mobile platforms. Good luck - because I need to know too as I'll be upgrading to the S 2 also.

Message 7 of 9 (2,310 Views)
Master

tonydi wrote:

I've looked for backup apps and with the exception of the ones that require rooting the phone, none of the others seem to be reliable.  Then I saw that supposedly this phone has a Google-provided cloud storage backup.

If you look in Settings->Privacy, you can see the "Back up my data" option. This supposedly goes to Google servers.

Does this actually work, and if so, how do you actually initiate the backup?

Presuming this feature is functional, where can I go to see that there's a backup file created?  I have multiple Google accounts.

I have experienced this feature first hand.  When I signed into my Google account on my current phone, the backup settings then processed to sync my contacts, calendar and installed all the applications that were on my older phone that also had the backup feature on it.  It installed both my purchased applications and the free ones that were on the other older phone.  It didn't restore any individual data for each application.  Since there are applications on the older phone that I don't need on my current phone, I have choosen to disable the automatic restore everytime I have factory reset my current phone.  Due to OS system updates, I have disabled the automatic restore feature twice now.  It is a nice feature, but the backup and restore offered by Google can bring its own set of issues.

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 9 (2,310 Views)
Scholar

That's too bad, no way I want to void the warranty. This phone is too nice and expensive to take that chance unlike my old LG VU which I modded the crap out of, had that so modded that it could look and act like a iPhone, Storm or even a Android lol..
I'm surprised no one has come up with a app that would fully back up the GS2, I'm sure others like myself would gladly shell out $$ for a app like that!!
Message 9 of 9 (2,308 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.