Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 12, 2008
1:30:16 AM
View profile
GT Ultra on Mac 10.5 Leopard - Connected, but unable to get Internet
So I get this GT Ultra and finally get it so it can connect. Everything looks like it does ok, it connects, gets an IP Addy and DNS, etc.

From my area, it shows I have 2-3 bars on the signal meter with the Blue Light flashing. My problem is, even though Im connected, I cant open any web pages. I use Firefox and Safari, no luck.

I have an IP, DNS, Subnet Mask, and EVERYTHING...why wont it work? The only setting I changed after install was the APN, Username, and Password. Any ideas why I cant connect to the Internet?

Is 2-3 bars of signal not enough? The software definitely shows connected with some data going in and out, I just cant go anywhere with it.

HEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!
So I get this GT Ultra and finally get it so it can connect. Everything looks like it does ok, it connects, gets an IP Addy and DNS, etc.

From my area, it shows I have 2-3 bars on the signal meter with the Blue Light flashing. My problem is, even though Im connected, I cant open any web pages. I use Firefox and Safari, no luck.

I have an IP, DNS, Subnet Mask, and EVERYTHING...why wont it work? The only setting I changed after install was the APN, Username, and Password. Any ideas why I cant connect to the Internet?

Is 2-3 bars of signal not enough? The software definitely shows connected with some data going in and out, I just cant go anywhere with it.

HEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!

GT Ultra on Mac 10.5 Leopard - Connected, but unable to get Internet

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2008 4:46:44 AM
(0)
Master

sirshan wrote:

HEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!

If the IP addy starts with 166 then you should have no problems surfing the internet.  If you have the equivalent of the command prompt are you able to "ping www.yahoo.com", if so what response do you get?  Do you have any firewalls installed?  Macs are somewhat easy to get connected as I recall, but AT&T does not support them any farther than acknowledging that they exist and the air cards can be placed in them to make a connection.

I assume the APN is "isp.cingular" and the user name and password are "ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM" and "CINGULAR1", for some reason some users still need the name and ID and PW to be entered but some users are able to get away without using them. 

sirshan wrote:

HEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!

If the IP addy starts with 166 then you should have no problems surfing the internet.  If you have the equivalent of the command prompt are you able to "ping www.yahoo.com", if so what response do you get?  Do you have any firewalls installed?  Macs are somewhat easy to get connected as I recall, but AT&T does not support them any farther than acknowledging that they exist and the air cards can be placed in them to make a connection.

I assume the APN is "isp.cingular" and the user name and password are "ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM" and "CINGULAR1", for some reason some users still need the name and ID and PW to be entered but some users are able to get away without using them. 

Re: GT Ultra on Mac 10.5 Leopard - Connected, but unable to get Internet

2 of 8 (3,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2008 8:21:13 AM
(0)
Tutor
My DNS is 209.183.54.151

My IP starts with a 169...nope, cant ping.

I wonder if my card is the issue?
My DNS is 209.183.54.151

3 of 8 (3,346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2008 3:17:33 PM
(0)
Scholar

sirshan wrote:
My DNS is 209.183.54.151

I may be talking out my rear here but...If that were a Windows machine (insert ominous thunderclap here) your IP would be something called an APIPA or an IP address that the computer self assigns when it cannot find a DHCP server.  The good news is that you DHCP service (I know it's a Windows term...Daemon?) on your Mac is working properly but for some reason your not getting an IP.  I imagine you've already tried it but try releasing and renewing the IP address. 

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

sirshan wrote:
My DNS is 209.183.54.151

I may be talking out my rear here but...If that were a Windows machine (insert ominous thunderclap here) your IP would be something called an APIPA or an IP address that the computer self assigns when it cannot find a DHCP server.  The good news is that you DHCP service (I know it's a Windows term...Daemon?) on your Mac is working properly but for some reason your not getting an IP.  I imagine you've already tried it but try releasing and renewing the IP address. 

4 of 8 (3,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2008 3:44:58 PM
(0)
Tutor
OK - Still cant get it to work. The weird thing is I can get it to work with a software called Launch2Net. The issue with this is that it costs $75.00 once the demo is over.

I just ran this to test if my card worked and it does...I was getting good speeds too.

Anyhow, I read through some of the topics in this forum and I cant seem to find the same menus that everyone else sees (as if my mac doesnt recognize the card unless I have software installed). Weird...and I do have the lates OS - Leopard 10.5.x.

Any other thoughts on why I cant get it to work?

Yes, as mentioned, Im using all the correct setting as far as I can see (DHCP, I get an IP, I have a DNS, ISP.CINGULAR, etc...those are all inputed correctly).
OK - Still cant get it to work. The weird thing is I can get it to work with a software called Launch2Net. The issue with this is that it costs $75.00 once the demo is over.

I just ran this to test if my card worked and it does...I was getting good speeds too.

Anyhow, I read through some of the topics in this forum and I cant seem to find the same menus that everyone else sees (as if my mac doesnt recognize the card unless I have software installed). Weird...and I do have the lates OS - Leopard 10.5.x.

Any other thoughts on why I cant get it to work?

Yes, as mentioned, Im using all the correct setting as far as I can see (DHCP, I get an IP, I have a DNS, ISP.CINGULAR, etc...those are all inputed correctly).

5 of 8 (3,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2008 10:10:38 PM
(0)
Teacher
You don"t need a username  or password just apn of isp.cingular.
You don"t need a username  or password just apn of isp.cingular.

6 of 8 (3,316 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2008 10:41:18 PM
(0)
Tutor
shewolf...youre the greatest! That fixed it...and here I was about to spend 75.00 on Launch2Net. Geez...glad I waited for some answers.

Anyhow, I tried it out and it works great. Thank you so much!
shewolf...youre the greatest! That fixed it...and here I was about to spend 75.00 on Launch2Net. Geez...glad I waited for some answers.

Anyhow, I tried it out and it works great. Thank you so much!

7 of 8 (3,311 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2008 11:56:20 PM
(0)
Teacher
Glad I could help
Glad I could help