GT Ultra Express - Disappointed; local at&t wireless customer service - Very Disappointed

Contributor

GT Ultra Express - Disappointed; local at&t wireless customer service - Very Disappointed

[ Edited ]

Last week I ordered a laptop connect card (GT Ultra Express) AND signed up for a very large data service package with a two year commit. Earlier this week, the card and sim arrived and I was anxious to install in a two week old laptop PC.

I was somewhat irritated that the at&t wireless manager software loaded itself on my PC during the authentication part of the installation, but the install went ok so I did not make issue of it. I was rather pleased with the initial performance and the connection rate was better than I expected on an initial run on DSL reports.

The connection worked for about a day (until the first re-boot after a anti-virus update) and then the connection was sporadic at best but for the most part, unresponsive and non existing.

This morning I called technical support and I will not even complain about the 15 minutes it took to get past the customer service screening agent to speak with a technician who identified that I had received a bad air card that was on re-call within 2 minutes of speaking with her.

The solution, I was told, was easy: all I had to do was go to a local wireless store and the laptop connect card could be swapped out. So on my way to work today, I stopped at the local at&t wireless store and was told they could not help me because they were not a ‘real’ at&t wireless store but contracted out to sell at&t wireless products and services. I was directed to an ‘authorized’ at&t owned and operated retail store which was a few miles up the road.

I went into the store and after waiting for 5 minutes or so to speak with “the person that could help me” I was told by the sales agent they could NOT help me because the account is in my wife’s name. (side note: we are married and share a common LAST name, {edited}, etc). Even though it was in her name when I added the extra line and when I agreed to the large data service package when I ordered it on line just a few days earlier, and even though the SIM or the TN would not be changed, nor would any changes be made to the service agreement, the agent would not swap out a piece of defective hardware that is on a known re-call. Is this crazy or what?

Now we are paying for a service we can not use and we have to take precious weekend family time to make a special trip BACK to the ‘authorized’ at&t owned and operated retail store. Where is the customer service at?

Message Edited by tashina on 02-28-2008 05:22:54 PM
Message 1 of 5 (2,684 Views)
Professor

Re: GT Ultra Express - Disappointed; local at&t wireless customer service - Very Disappointed

If the account is under her name, you can have her add you as an authorized user, which will allow you to do things like that without her.

Message 2 of 5 (2,675 Views)
Master

Re: GT Ultra Express - Disappointed; local at&t wireless customer service - Very Disappointed

Customer Service is protecting your wife. If you are not an authorized person on the account, then you shouldn't be able to do anything on the account. It's for SECURITY. Imagine if I had the same name, lived in the same town and one day you saw new billings and charges on your account. You thought how odd, and the person said, Yes, your brother was in here and bought a phone on your account. We didn't ask for much more than his name, and he knew the phone number on the account, so we sold him the phone. Oh, I'm not your brother, just a person who was in the store a week before and heard your wife tell the rep her number.

Yes, it is an inconvenience, but I've been on the other side of a fraud. That is MUCH more of an inconvenience.
Message 3 of 5 (2,661 Views)
Scholar

I'm just an end-user. But I gotta say I'm not sure where your beef is. It's unfortunate that you got a bum card (which AT&T didn't manufacture), and it doesn't help that the people weren't as friendly or as quick to take your call as you'd like. On the other hand, if they had a surplus of people sitting around waiting for calls, how high would our rates be? They did give you a solution, and I actually was on your side about the issue of not being able to swap the card because the account isn't in your name until I read the previous responses to that part of your original post. I'm certainly not an apologist for the company, but waiting 5 minutes in a store to be helped is not an unreasonable situation. I'll bet you've waited longer than that in line at Starbucks; I know I have. Really good customer service would have seen them overnight you a replacement...particularly if the card was less than a week old (and assuming the first card you got was shipped from AT&T). But really good customer service is pretty rare anymore. 
Message 4 of 5 (2,649 Views)
Master

You need to call and speak with warranty exchange.  There is no such thing as "local" service.  It's all centralized.
Message 5 of 5 (2,647 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.