Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 14, 2011
6:13:35 AM
View profile
GSM phones lose signal near Microcell
I added a 3G microcell as I had bad signal in the house on my iPhone 4. It worked great for that and stopped dropping calls. However, 2 GSM only Tracfones owned by other members of the family lose all signal within 50 feet of the Microcell. They go into searching for signal mode and end up discharging the battery in a matter of hours. Any help as this is unacceptable. Giving up the Tracfones and getting ATT phones as suggested at the retail outlet is not reasonable solution.
I added a 3G microcell as I had bad signal in the house on my iPhone 4. It worked great for that and stopped dropping calls. However, 2 GSM only Tracfones owned by other members of the family lose all signal within 50 feet of the Microcell. They go into searching for signal mode and end up discharging the battery in a matter of hours. Any help as this is unacceptable. Giving up the Tracfones and getting ATT phones as suggested at the retail outlet is not reasonable solution.

GSM phones lose signal near Microcell

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 8:45:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

That sucks but you may be stuck. We have the maximum of 10 phones on our account (family and friends) but they are all AT&T phones. The MicroCell is a proprietary device so AT&T may do some monkey business to cripple non-AT&T phones, probably by use of the phone number that you put into the Account page.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

That sucks but you may be stuck. We have the maximum of 10 phones on our account (family and friends) but they are all AT&T phones. The MicroCell is a proprietary device so AT&T may do some monkey business to cripple non-AT&T phones, probably by use of the phone number that you put into the Account page.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: GSM phones lose signal near Microcell

2 of 6 (761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2011 4:15:15 PM
(0)
Scholar

Sounds to me like the firmware on the Tracfones is flaky.  Are they the same model?  What GSM network are they using?

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Sounds to me like the firmware on the Tracfones is flaky.  Are they the same model?  What GSM network are they using?

3 of 6 (724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2011 7:02:23 PM
(0)
Contributor
The Tracfones are the same. Motorola V175. They are gsm only and I assume they are on att tower. Signal strength was low always even on my prior blackberry at my home location My iPhone 4 is usually on 3G but only one bar as well. I spoke with a tech at the att microcell help line. He checked with others and said this is likely a RF overload in the gsm phones as the signal they are locked to is weak. The microcell is broadcasting on the same frequencies even though the digital code is different. Hence the RF front end in the non 3G phone overloads and can't find the weak gsm signal. They said there is no work around as the microcell only broadcasts 3G.
As improved performance on one iPhone vs two other phones in the the family that go dead in hours is not a good a good solution. Thus I took back the microcell today to keep the peace. I hope att improves their signal strength at my home so I don't have to worry about supplementing their weak signal.
I hope this helps others
The Tracfones are the same. Motorola V175. They are gsm only and I assume they are on att tower. Signal strength was low always even on my prior blackberry at my home location My iPhone 4 is usually on 3G but only one bar as well. I spoke with a tech at the att microcell help line. He checked with others and said this is likely a RF overload in the gsm phones as the signal they are locked to is weak. The microcell is broadcasting on the same frequencies even though the digital code is different. Hence the RF front end in the non 3G phone overloads and can't find the weak gsm signal. They said there is no work around as the microcell only broadcasts 3G.
As improved performance on one iPhone vs two other phones in the the family that go dead in hours is not a good a good solution. Thus I took back the microcell today to keep the peace. I hope att improves their signal strength at my home so I don't have to worry about supplementing their weak signal.
I hope this helps others

4 of 6 (718 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2011 7:20:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I had assumed that the Tracfones were 3G. The MicroCell is designed to work best with 3G GSM phones. I think it even says 3G on the box. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for AT&T to increase signal strength.

I had assumed that the Tracfones were 3G. The MicroCell is designed to work best with 3G GSM phones. I think it even says 3G on the box. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for AT&T to increase signal strength.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 6 (715 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2011 7:30:41 PM
(0)
Scholar
In my opinion, I agree that AT&T is probably focusing more on LTE than on increasing 2G radios. I don't suppose getting 3G Tracfones are an option?

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
In my opinion, I agree that AT&T is probably focusing more on LTE than on increasing 2G radios. I don't suppose getting 3G Tracfones are an option?

6 of 6 (706 Views)