GS2 & wifi.

Mentor

GS2 & wifi.

So I finally got this phone today, and so far I love it! So far the only problem I have is the wifi.

I noticed that the wifi signal on my GS2 is weaker than my i-devices. I also checked the signal on a laptop, and its stronger there too. Googling has lead me to believe this is not just my GS2 - but I'm not sure what to do or if theres anything I can do? Has anyone else noticed this with their phones?

Message 1 of 7
Mentor

Re: GS2 & wifi.

I have, per Samsung, tried a battery pull, and that did not help. Smiley Sad I love this phone, but I need it to cooperate with the wifi, should I exchange it?

Message 2 of 7

I've found that my GS2 sometimes underreports signal strength for some reason - but despite the signal strength being reported low it works fine.

Message 3 of 7
Master

As long as it works, That's what counts. And unlike i-Devices, GS2 has dual-band wi-fi chip and can connect to 5GHz wi-fi if you wish to.

Message 4 of 7

Yeah...  I keep on connecting to my 2.4 GHz AP out of habit - partly because it has stronger signal.

(This is not normal - my 2.4 GHz AP is connected to a 500 mW amp that's feeding a sector antenna.  It will stop beating the 5 GHz AP when I stop being lazy and order an antenna for the Ubiqiti Rocket M5 I have.)

Message 5 of 7
Master

5GHz signal drops off sharply as distance and/or obstacles increase anyway. I have a dual band router. 10 feet away in another room, my 5G signal is half of 2.4G signal.

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted

True, on the other hand, the 5 GHz band has FAR less interference.

I only use the 5 GHz unit for streaming high definition ATSC recordings to my laptop - for everything else, the amp + antenna wins.  Smiley Happy

This will change once I get the Rocket set up and it has the same gain and transmit power as the old Buffalo...

Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support