GRPS charge empties my prepaid account

Contributor

GRPS charge empties my prepaid account

Just got a prepaid SIM today for a Samsung Galaxy 551, with the $2 day unlimited talk & text plan; plus the $5 data plan. Prepaid $15 plus another $5 for the data. A few mins ago the phone just refused to go online. Looking online, I have no data remaining, and there's a GPRS charge for $13 (the remainder on my account).

Type: GPRS

Nature of Call: Local

Number Called: -

Calling Number: 1808...

Call Date: 12/07/2011

Call Time: 12:32:51 PM

Timezone US/Pacific

Call Duration: 4hr 35min 36sec (huh?)

Total Amount: -$13.00

Service Used: Data

Unit(s) Charged: 0

Call Location: None

I did enable Google sync for my email but I have the data plan for that. I figure this is a bug and calling support tomorrow should correct it. Wondering if anyone has any insight on this?

Message 1 of 2 (223 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Re: GRPS charge empties my prepaid account

[ Edited ]

atfltr wrote:

I did enable Google sync for my email but I have the data plan for that. I figure this is a bug and calling support tomorrow should correct it. Wondering if anyone has any insight on this?

The $5/10MB plan just isn't enough, I'm afraid. I use around 3-5MB per day just for background syncing and I don't even get a lot of email. It appears the Galaxy 551 isn't recognized as a smartphone by AT&T (gotta get me one of those, nvm doesn't appear to support ATT 3G) that's why it used up the remainder of your credit (at a rate of $0.01/5KB or $2/MB). With recognized smartphones, when your data balance runs out, cellular data just stops working. I recommend using a data monitoring app such as 3G Watchdog or Traffic Monitor.

The Call Duration is mislabeled. It's actually the number of kilobytes you use so that translates to 16,536KB or 16MB which costs $33.07 on pay per use. Might want to think what may have caused the use (app updates, web browsing, email attachments, etc).

Best way to go is get the $25/500MB package and monthly recharge of $5/10MB to roll over the balance. When you're running low, recharge again with the $25/500MB. Unfortunately, Android tends to use a lot of data for background services (more than WP7 or iPhone with factory defaults) so unless you're permanently on wi-fi or can live without data on your phone, your only option is to get a bigger data package.

Message 2 of 2 (218 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.