Ask a question

Posted Aug 19, 2009
    8:05:14 PM
    View profile
    GPS use without data or navigator?

Is it possible to get GPS coordinates without paying for data or ATT Navigator? I realize that free programs like Google Maps require data, but could I connect my phone to Google Earth on my computer with wi-fi and then use it to place coordinates on the map? The map data would come from wi-fi, so can I use the phone as a free connection for coordinates that my computer would place on google earth?

Thanks

GPS use without data or navigator?

2 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (2)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 27, 2009 4:12:22 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

You can use Garmin Mobile. It does not requires data plan, with some exception of course.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=138

Re: GPS use without data or navigator?

2 of 3 (5,281 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 15, 2009 5:10:39 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

It would depend on the phone.  Some phones do have stand-alone GPS units in them so can in fact communicate with the satellites and crunch a location entirely on their own.  Most phones however, use assisted GPS (aGPS), which does rely on sending and receiving data from cell phone towers as well as the GPS satellites.  The data may be timing data from the towers, or use their own GPS positions for trianulation, or it may download satellite data, but offload it to the carriers servers for computation of the position.

Bottom line is, if your phone is aGPS, then it will be using a data connection for some aspect of fixing a position, even if you are just using it to get the numbers to plot on something else.

Re: GPS use without data or navigator?

3 of 3 (5,035 Views)