Ask a question

Posted Oct 28, 2011
2:44:14 PM
View profile
GPS on Samsung Galaxy SII

We have a Captivate, which has very bad GPS, no matter what ROM or tweets we have on it. Is the SII better in the GPS department? As much as I like the Android OS and apps, I miss my Blackberry GPS which was always on target. So if the SII hasn't improved, I might just have to go back to my Blackberry soon.

Thanks!

GPS on Samsung Galaxy SII

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 4:27:30 PM
(0)
Master
The GPS on GS2 has been fantastic compare to my Captivate. No worries there.

Re: GPS on Samsung Galaxy SII

2 of 16 (878 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 5:24:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have had no issues with my GAPS on my SSI. Just make sure your turn it on before you use it Smiley Tongue

Re: GAPS on Samsung Galaxy SSI

3 of 16 (868 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 5:25:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

Stupid Spell check....GPS and GSII

4 of 16 (867 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 9:00:07 PM
(0)
Mentor

GPS on my GS2 is not accurate always.  It is off by a couple of miles.  The only way I can make it accurate is to run GPS Status until it locks in on my location.  Then GPS (on Google Maps) is accurate, at least for a little while.

5 of 16 (847 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2011 6:29:01 AM
(0)
Master

GPS needs time to lock in. It depends on many factors. The couple miles off is using the cell tower instead of GPS because it is not locked in yet. You don't have to run anything. Just give it a few minutes. That doesn't mean your GPS is not accurate. If you don't want to see cell tower location, you can turn it off. Or if you want more accurate initial location while GPS is not locked, turn on wi-fi (you don't have to connect to any wi-fi network).

6 of 16 (833 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2011 7:07:50 AM
(0)
Teacher

I haven't actually gone driving around with the GPS on my GSII, but I've turned it on several times and each time it locked on to the satellites while indoors faster than my Garmin GPS does.  Most of the time a GPS needs to be outside with a view of the sky to find the satellites.  Each time I turned on the GPS on my GSII it was very accurate and showed exactly where I was.  If it was off it couldn't have been more than a few feet.

It was so accurate it was showing where I was located inside the house when using Google satellite maps.  I've turned it on at several locations and each time it was very accurate.

7 of 16 (827 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2011 7:46:44 AM
(0)
Guru

TNgal22 wrote:

We have a Captivate, which has very bad GPS, no matter what ROM or tweets we have on it. Is the SII better in the GPS department? As much as I like the Android OS and apps, I miss my Blackberry GPS which was always on target. So if the SII hasn't improved, I might just have to go back to my Blackberry soon.

Thanks!

The Infuse was supposedly a significant improvement from the Captivate.

The GS2 is a MASSIVE improvement from the Infuse.

To the guy with location fixes miles off - that's netloc.  That's Maps giving you a rough location estimate before the GPS locks in.  I'm assuming when this happens, the error circle is very large?  And when GPS locks in, the circle gets MUCH smaller?

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

8 of 16 (767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2011 6:46:50 PM
(0)
Mentor

"To the guy with location fixes miles off - that's netloc.  That's Maps giving you a rough location estimate before the GPS locks in.  I'm assuming when this happens, the error circle is very large?  And when GPS locks in, the circle gets MUCH smaller?"

You are right.  If I wait a couple of minutes, GPS is accurate.  Thanks for the information.

9 of 16 (707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 3:21:29 PM
(0)
Teacher

Just took a vacation in Hawaii using my new SGS2 as GPS. The phone's GPS (along with the Google Navigation app) performed absolutely fantastic. Quick and accurate locating. Couldnt have been better. Even in areas with no 3G coverage the GPS worked flawlessly. 

10 of 16 (641 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2011 3:59:34 AM
(0)
Mentor

I have to say that the GPS on the GSII works really well when you actually need it (outdoors/driving).  However when I am indoors it sometimes take ages to establish your location.  I am sure reception has something to do with it while you are indoor since you won't be able to get a satellite signal.  Something I am not used to coming from an iphone.

11 of 16 (622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2011 6:09:42 AM
(0)
Master
Leave the wifi on if you are indoor. That's how you get location on your iphone in doors as well. Gps signals can't penetrate buildings.

12 of 16 (618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2011 1:54:28 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by takuyaah on Nov 6, 2011 at 1:57:06 PM

Pretty sure you don't mean wifi but mobile data network.  You can't possibly have access to all wifi networks every time you are indoors especially in public places.

And like I said, indoor location triangulation on the GSII is quite a bit slower than what I am used to coming from an iphone.  However outdoors/turn by turn works flawlessly for me.

[ Edited ]
13 of 16 (591 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2011 2:49:18 PM
(0)
Master

No, I mean wi-fi. Leave it on and your phone will collect wi-fi signals, no need to connect to them, to get a fast and much more accurate location than cell tower (I typically get around 30-meter accuracy) when GPS is not capable of lock on indoors. Google collects a lot of wi-fi signal information around nations, including your home routers, for this purpose. Microsoft and Apple do the same.

Of course, you will need some kind of internet connection for this to work.

Try open Gmap app and tap on the arrow icon (your location). If your wi-fi is off, GMap will prompt you to enable wi-fi to get better location accuracy.

14 of 16 (586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2011 8:46:45 AM
(0)
Guru

The idea is that:

If it has a cell connection but wifi is off, then at best it can determine that it is within X miles of the tower it's talking to.

If it has a cell connection and wifi is on (but not connected), it knows what wifi access points are nearby, and if those APs are in Google's database, it knows it is within X meters of that wifi AP.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

15 of 16 (574 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2011 10:29:45 AM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks entropy, that is great to know even though i leave my wifi on all the time already.  Now I understand why google willing to get into legal trouble in other countries by wardriving around neighborhoods during street view photo capturing.  Thought Google claims to not keep any of the data.  I am glad they did! 

16 of 16 (569 Views)