GPRS charge

Highlighted
Contributor

GPRS charge

I got a message that i was being charged $4.44 for gprs access, but as far as i know i haven't used it.  i'm not traveling, just at home.  or was looking at my e-mail inbox the reason?  does that cost so much for a minute?

Message 1 of 5
Scholar

Re: GPRS charge

If you're not connected to wi-fi and AT&T doesn't consider your phone a smartphone, then the charge is $0.01/5KB. That $4.44 is equivalent to around 2MB of data use. Yep, checking your email can certainly use that. Heck, I think I normally use 10MB or so when checking my email (a bunch of messages with a lot of graphics).
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

thanks for the info, but what can i do?  i do have a smartphone, a samsung galaxy clone, with the at&t simcard i've used in several earlier phones with no charges like this.  i was sitting right next to my home router when i looked at my e-mail on the cellphone, just to see if i was connected -- and then the charge came up.  do i need to change settings or something?

Message 3 of 5
Teacher

Try going to settings and turn OFF DATA .  You will still be able to connect to your wifi.

Message 4 of 5
Contributor

thanks!  i don't see any setting called DATA, but i can turn off the wi-fi -- is that what you mean?  i turned off something called 'gprs transfer prefer' and it informed me that the 'data transmission rate will decline'.  

Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support