Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us NOW for a live “Ask an Expert” event!

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 4, 2010
5:04:08 PM
Froyo on Captivate - Is it too much to ask for a progress update, AT&T/Samsung?
Edited by Schecter on Dec 4, 2010 at 5:08:11 PM

I don't care when Froyo is released officially for the Captivate (within reason), but somebody needs to take responsibility and give the Captivate owners some kind of progress update for the release.  With all the "Froyo for Galaxy S" rumors flying around, I have chosen not to believe anyone unless it comes straight from AT&T or Samsung.

So, AT&T and Samsung, how about giving your deserving customers an idea of what is going on, and if Froyo is actually still in the works?

A little communication goes a long way. I'm not asking for much here.

I don't care when Froyo is released officially for the Captivate (within reason), but somebody needs to take responsibility and give the Captivate owners some kind of progress update for the release.  With all the "Froyo for Galaxy S" rumors flying around, I have chosen not to believe anyone unless it comes straight from AT&T or Samsung.

So, AT&T and Samsung, how about giving your deserving customers an idea of what is going on, and if Froyo is actually still in the works?

A little communication goes a long way. I'm not asking for much here.

Froyo on Captivate - Is it too much to ask for a progress update, AT&T/Samsung?

[ Edited ]
53 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(53)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 9:45:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

I say we just keep calling their support lines and send emails asking where froyo is!!!! because this is getting silly, everyone else has or is getting froyo.....except us at&t customers! Wheres our update AT&T??? why dont you get on the ball, or ill just switch carriers when my contract expires!! Smiley Surprised

I say we just keep calling their support lines and send emails asking where froyo is!!!! because this is getting silly, everyone else has or is getting froyo.....except us at&t customers! Wheres our update AT&T??? why dont you get on the ball, or ill just switch carriers when my contract expires!! Smiley Surprised

Re: Froyo on Captivate - Is it too much to ask for a progress update, AT&T/Samsung?

31 of 54 (5,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 4:26:40 AM
(0)
Teacher

I got the Captivate the day it came out. I was under the impression that it would have Froyo by the end of the summer, and then by November, then by the end of November. Now I really regret I did not get a Droid X instead. My main issue is not having bluetooth hands free calling, something I have had for the last 10 years, but then I get this "superphone" and I no longer have the capability that I had on cheap pay as you go phones a decade ago. 

I got the Captivate the day it came out. I was under the impression that it would have Froyo by the end of the summer, and then by November, then by the end of November. Now I really regret I did not get a Droid X instead. My main issue is not having bluetooth hands free calling, something I have had for the last 10 years, but then I get this "superphone" and I no longer have the capability that I had on cheap pay as you go phones a decade ago. 

Re: Froyo on Captivate - Is it too much to ask for a progress update, AT&T/Samsung?

32 of 54 (5,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 8:49:13 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pjglassman on Dec 11, 2010 at 7:47:27 PM

I was told by the AT&T rep at the Store in Hollywood they would OTA the update to froyo at the end of OCTOBER!

Still waiting...[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

ATT customers are attached to another object by an incline plane, wrapped helicly around an axis.

when it comes to the froyo update.

I was told by the AT&T rep at the Store in Hollywood they would OTA the update to froyo at the end of OCTOBER!

Still waiting...[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

ATT customers are attached to another object by an incline plane, wrapped helicly around an axis.

when it comes to the froyo update.

Sent from My Android Phone...Still waiting on Froyo 2.2 From AT&T

[ Edited ]
33 of 54 (4,974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2010 5:05:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

guys, lets face it -- we, along with millions others, got stuck with a bum phone that has faulty gps and gets no support. First blame the reviewers who were on the take from Samsung and didn't reveal the GPS problem in virtually any review. After that, we were stupid not to return the handset within its first 30 days when we found out the gps didn't work, and this froyo thing is simply par for the course. Personally, I think this is more Samsung than ATT -- I never defend ATT, but what are they to do -- the update comes from Samsung! Buy HTC next time, or maybe Motorola. samsung haas no repsect for you. NONE.

guys, lets face it -- we, along with millions others, got stuck with a bum phone that has faulty gps and gets no support. First blame the reviewers who were on the take from Samsung and didn't reveal the GPS problem in virtually any review. After that, we were stupid not to return the handset within its first 30 days when we found out the gps didn't work, and this froyo thing is simply par for the course. Personally, I think this is more Samsung than ATT -- I never defend ATT, but what are they to do -- the update comes from Samsung! Buy HTC next time, or maybe Motorola. samsung haas no repsect for you. NONE.

34 of 54 (4,383 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2010 10:03:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

Manufacturers handicap the phones generally speaking, and AT&T/Samsung downright chain and gag their phones, specifically speaking. It simply isn't fair and flies in direct opposition to the open source philosophy of the Android platform. 

The Captivate IS a nice phone. It's so sleek, pretty, and it can function well AND run Froyo if roo...

wait, am I not supposed to talk about that? ;P

Anyway, it's just absurdity. We should have Gingerbread.

Manufacturers handicap the phones generally speaking, and AT&T/Samsung downright chain and gag their phones, specifically speaking. It simply isn't fair and flies in direct opposition to the open source philosophy of the Android platform. 

The Captivate IS a nice phone. It's so sleek, pretty, and it can function well AND run Froyo if roo...

wait, am I not supposed to talk about that? ;P

Anyway, it's just absurdity. We should have Gingerbread.

35 of 54 (4,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 5:41:35 AM
(0)
Tutor

Since cell phones came out, we've been at the mercy of the service provider, and they don't care.  Once you've signed up, you're at their mercy.  They don't want to keep your phone updated, in 2 years, they want you to be itching to buy another one.  I imagine we'll see Froyo on our Captivates eventually,  but I wonder how many future Android updates will make it?

Should we just take this, as many people seem to think?  I don't think so.  We should complain until someone listens.  Phones are essentially small pc's now, and they should act the same.  If you have a phone with Android 2.x, you should be able to load 2.x updates directly from Google.  Going to to a new major version (3.0) may require service provider assistance.

Back in the day, Microsoft was sued up the ying yang for saying what could or couldn't come on pc's with their OS.  Why should ATT (or any provider) have the right to tell me what can or can't be on my phone?  Yes, they subsidize the purchase price, but I pay that back via their monthly fees for 2 years; there is no justification for having bloatware on my phone that I'll never use.

Since cell phones came out, we've been at the mercy of the service provider, and they don't care.  Once you've signed up, you're at their mercy.  They don't want to keep your phone updated, in 2 years, they want you to be itching to buy another one.  I imagine we'll see Froyo on our Captivates eventually,  but I wonder how many future Android updates will make it?

Should we just take this, as many people seem to think?  I don't think so.  We should complain until someone listens.  Phones are essentially small pc's now, and they should act the same.  If you have a phone with Android 2.x, you should be able to load 2.x updates directly from Google.  Going to to a new major version (3.0) may require service provider assistance.

Back in the day, Microsoft was sued up the ying yang for saying what could or couldn't come on pc's with their OS.  Why should ATT (or any provider) have the right to tell me what can or can't be on my phone?  Yes, they subsidize the purchase price, but I pay that back via their monthly fees for 2 years; there is no justification for having bloatware on my phone that I'll never use.

36 of 54 (3,723 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 10:47:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

brooklynrab wrote:

This is, bar none, the best advice I've seen yet. Never buy Samsung phones. I'm sad, I used to love their phones, and I went against my better judgment to get the Captivate because of the good reviews online... now I'm six months into a 2 year contract wishing I'd gotten something - anything - else. I really wanted an awesome Android experience, but all Samsung has given me is irritation and disappointment.

P.S. when I used to work in sales they said if you treated every customer like gold you'd be lucky if one in ten told another person, but if you treated them poorly you'd be lucky if each of them told only ten people. I'm that guy - I tell everyone how disappointing my Captivate is.

brooklynrab wrote:

This is, bar none, the best advice I've seen yet. Never buy Samsung phones. I'm sad, I used to love their phones, and I went against my better judgment to get the Captivate because of the good reviews online... now I'm six months into a 2 year contract wishing I'd gotten something - anything - else. I really wanted an awesome Android experience, but all Samsung has given me is irritation and disappointment.

P.S. when I used to work in sales they said if you treated every customer like gold you'd be lucky if one in ten told another person, but if you treated them poorly you'd be lucky if each of them told only ten people. I'm that guy - I tell everyone how disappointing my Captivate is.

37 of 54 (3,435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2011 5:51:10 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by jebabcock on Jan 6, 2011 at 5:54:52 PM

Well, ann thats not entirely being fair. The captivate can't really be compared to the aria, or other middle to low end phones. You buy a budget phone you don't expect to get immediate and timely updates. however, when the captivate stands as arguably the best phone available on AT&T's network, and samsung's own website updates their other phones to indicate they will have froyo but leaves the captivate as still indicating its at 2.1.... Alot of questions are rightfully raised. Since globally the Galaxy S has its update already, i think it is safe to say that the slacking is on AT&T's side. It sure as heck wasn't Samsung that required them to completely give their phone an overhaul in order to take it on their market... AT&T's support of the phone as well has been EXTREMELY lackluster, until CES this week, they have been nearly silent with any android support when compared to the Marketing they put into the iphone and torch... (the iphone i can understand, but the torch? really?)... anyway. Samsung did almost all the marketing for the Captivate. We see the giorgio armani phone which is basically a captivate with different crapware installed and different branding and its got froyo... due to leaks we know that Samsung has produced a froyo version that AT&T is sitting on or(running through its regression tests...) How many months does this testing take? well, as a software developer, I can honestly say it doesn't take over 4 months.... So is it valid to complain, or to question AT&T as to why they are dragging the ball on this? I think its completely valid....

Well, ann thats not entirely being fair. The captivate can't really be compared to the aria, or other middle to low end phones. You buy a budget phone you don't expect to get immediate and timely updates. however, when the captivate stands as arguably the best phone available on AT&T's network, and samsung's own website updates their other phones to indicate they will have froyo but leaves the captivate as still indicating its at 2.1.... Alot of questions are rightfully raised. Since globally the Galaxy S has its update already, i think it is safe to say that the slacking is on AT&T's side. It sure as heck wasn't Samsung that required them to completely give their phone an overhaul in order to take it on their market... AT&T's support of the phone as well has been EXTREMELY lackluster, until CES this week, they have been nearly silent with any android support when compared to the Marketing they put into the iphone and torch... (the iphone i can understand, but the torch? really?)... anyway. Samsung did almost all the marketing for the Captivate. We see the giorgio armani phone which is basically a captivate with different crapware installed and different branding and its got froyo... due to leaks we know that Samsung has produced a froyo version that AT&T is sitting on or(running through its regression tests...) How many months does this testing take? well, as a software developer, I can honestly say it doesn't take over 4 months.... So is it valid to complain, or to question AT&T as to why they are dragging the ball on this? I think its completely valid....

[ Edited ]
38 of 54 (2,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 6:50:40 AM
(0)
Professor

In short, yes.  Progress updates would be seen as verification of internal plans of at&t.  This is a company that would not comment on rumors that the sun was going to rise tomorrow.  The CIA and KGB are blabbermouths compared to at&t.

In short, yes.  Progress updates would be seen as verification of internal plans of at&t.  This is a company that would not comment on rumors that the sun was going to rise tomorrow.  The CIA and KGB are blabbermouths compared to at&t.

39 of 54 (2,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 7:38:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

Spoke to a nice rep yesterday at 611 and he (nate) claims that 2.2 is not compatible with ATT network and the captivate will never see this update.

I have the captivate and am a bit disappointed with this news......

Spoke to a nice rep yesterday at 611 and he (nate) claims that 2.2 is not compatible with ATT network and the captivate will never see this update.

I have the captivate and am a bit disappointed with this news......

40 of 54 (2,048 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 7:41:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

But, I think that this is a lot of bashing towards AT&T, when it may not be entirely their fault.  None of the US Galaxy S variants have Froyo yet.  There are many things that make the US devices different from the international devices.  But the US devices are also different from each other.  The one thing that they have in common is Samsung.  Being that Samsung already had a bad update track record coming from the Behold II, I'll place this blame more on Samsung than on AT&T.

But, I think that this is a lot of bashing towards AT&T, when it may not be entirely their fault.  None of the US Galaxy S variants have Froyo yet.  There are many things that make the US devices different from the international devices.  But the US devices are also different from each other.  The one thing that they have in common is Samsung.  Being that Samsung already had a bad update track record coming from the Behold II, I'll place this blame more on Samsung than on AT&T.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

41 of 54 (5,826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 8:36:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

"It simply isn't fair and flies in direct opposition to the open source philosophy of the Android platform."

No, in fact, it does not.

Android IS open source. Google makes the source code available to anyone who wants it to do whatever they want with it. WHATEVER THEY WANT. That doesn't just mean you and me; it means Samsung and Motorola, too. If you don't like what Samsung, Motorola, HTC, Acer, ASUS, Dell, Sony Ericsson, et al are doing with Android on the hardware they release, you are free to do one of two things:

- Take the hardware built by any one of the many manufacturers, download Google's source code for Android and "roll your own."

- Make your own hardware (though good luck getting the approval from the FCC and getting AT&T, or any other provider, to let you put it on their network), download Google's source code and REALLY "roll your own."

The bottom line is that your beef with Samsung and AT&T has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with open source, and EVERYTHING to do with you not being able to do what you want to do. While that's fine -- you're entitiled to your opinion and your expectations, no matter how seemingly ridiculous -- don't try to hide behind the open source movement to protect you. The two couldn't be more unrelated if they tried.

Even Google -- who sets the rules on who does what with their software -- has stated MANY times that what the manufacturers and carriers are doing FALLS IN LINE with what they had in mind. Are you really going to argue with Google on what they meant when they made Android open source? Seems rather silly, don't you think?

"It simply isn't fair and flies in direct opposition to the open source philosophy of the Android platform."

No, in fact, it does not.

Android IS open source. Google makes the source code available to anyone who wants it to do whatever they want with it. WHATEVER THEY WANT. That doesn't just mean you and me; it means Samsung and Motorola, too. If you don't like what Samsung, Motorola, HTC, Acer, ASUS, Dell, Sony Ericsson, et al are doing with Android on the hardware they release, you are free to do one of two things:

- Take the hardware built by any one of the many manufacturers, download Google's source code for Android and "roll your own."

- Make your own hardware (though good luck getting the approval from the FCC and getting AT&T, or any other provider, to let you put it on their network), download Google's source code and REALLY "roll your own."

The bottom line is that your beef with Samsung and AT&T has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with open source, and EVERYTHING to do with you not being able to do what you want to do. While that's fine -- you're entitiled to your opinion and your expectations, no matter how seemingly ridiculous -- don't try to hide behind the open source movement to protect you. The two couldn't be more unrelated if they tried.

Even Google -- who sets the rules on who does what with their software -- has stated MANY times that what the manufacturers and carriers are doing FALLS IN LINE with what they had in mind. Are you really going to argue with Google on what they meant when they made Android open source? Seems rather silly, don't you think?

42 of 54 (5,809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 9:48:55 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm sorry, but Nate is misinformed.  At CES the other day, AT&T announced three new droid phones coming within a few weeks/months, and they are all running froyo 2.2!  AT&T's network is CERTAINLY compatible with 2.2, so my hopes are still high that the Captivate will see the 2.2 update sooner rather than later.

I'm sorry, but Nate is misinformed.  At CES the other day, AT&T announced three new droid phones coming within a few weeks/months, and they are all running froyo 2.2!  AT&T's network is CERTAINLY compatible with 2.2, so my hopes are still high that the Captivate will see the 2.2 update sooner rather than later.

43 of 54 (5,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 12:03:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

That is great news.  I just wanted to report what an att rep said as I had been researching this issue and found that most att reps play "dumb"  and that was the first response I had heard like that.  I remain hopeful as well.

That is great news.  I just wanted to report what an att rep said as I had been researching this issue and found that most att reps play "dumb"  and that was the first response I had heard like that.  I remain hopeful as well.

44 of 54 (5,694 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 2:57:24 PM
(0)
Contributor

a little bird just told me that FROYO WAS OFFICIALLY RELEASED ON 1/6/2011 IN CANADA!!!!

THIS MEANS (HOPEFULLY) THAT FROYO WILL BE RELEASED IN USA VERY SOON!!!!

(AS USUAL WE ARE LAST TO GET EVERYTHING!!!)

but exciting new nonetheless!!!

Official release for Samsing Captivate (FROYO!!) 1/6/2010! (canada)

a little bird just told me that FROYO WAS OFFICIALLY RELEASED ON 1/6/2011 IN CANADA!!!!

THIS MEANS (HOPEFULLY) THAT FROYO WILL BE RELEASED IN USA VERY SOON!!!!

(AS USUAL WE ARE LAST TO GET EVERYTHING!!!)

but exciting new nonetheless!!!

Official release for Samsing Captivate (FROYO!!) 1/6/2010! (canada)

45 of 54 (5,600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 10:26:47 AM
(0)
Master
An actual timetable for a Samsung Galaxy S phone on a cellular carrier within the USA has been released.

http://www.androidcentral.com/froyo-update-schedule-us-cellular-android-phones-released
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
An actual timetable for a Samsung Galaxy S phone on a cellular carrier within the USA has been released.

http://www.androidcentral.com/froyo-update-schedule-us-cellular-android-phones-released
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

46 of 54 (4,988 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 12:56:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

What ticks me off, and others, is that both Samsung and AT&T to some degree have promised the update as soon as September.  Here it is, January, and now it most likely won't be until March, if at all?

People wouldn't be upset if they didn't falsely get our hopes up...if that was their way of pacifying the masses until they're good and ready, shame on them.

Also, if they plan on skipping 2.2 for a newer release then tell us!  Keeping all their customers in the dark about their flagship Android phone is pathetic.

What ticks me off, and others, is that both Samsung and AT&T to some degree have promised the update as soon as September.  Here it is, January, and now it most likely won't be until March, if at all?

People wouldn't be upset if they didn't falsely get our hopes up...if that was their way of pacifying the masses until they're good and ready, shame on them.

Also, if they plan on skipping 2.2 for a newer release then tell us!  Keeping all their customers in the dark about their flagship Android phone is pathetic.

47 of 54 (4,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 10:06:01 PM
(0)
Mentor

Some more good news comes to Canadian owners of the Samsung Captivate, as Rogers has finally rolled out Android 2.2 updates to their customers. The Froyo update comes through the Kies software, so if you don't have that package installed already, you may want to jump on that beforehand. Does this mean that those of us in the states on the AT&T Captivate might see our 2.2 launch soon? Well, we won't hold our breath- that's for sure.

clowns

Some more good news comes to Canadian owners of the Samsung Captivate, as Rogers has finally rolled out Android 2.2 updates to their customers. The Froyo update comes through the Kies software, so if you don't have that package installed already, you may want to jump on that beforehand. Does this mean that those of us in the states on the AT&T Captivate might see our 2.2 launch soon? Well, we won't hold our breath- that's for sure.

clowns

Sent from My Android Phone...Still waiting on Froyo 2.2 From AT&T

48 of 54 (4,283 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 11:01:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'm not sure the validity of this post, but it may offer more insight.  This is a post from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=913045

Hello,

I’m going to step across the NDAs and explain the issues behind the Android Froyo update to Samsung Galaxy S phones in the United States. I think most of you have come to this realization yourself now: the withholding of the Froyo update is a largely political one, not a technological one: Froyo runs quite well on Galaxy S phones, as those of you that have run leaked updates may have noticed.

To explain the political situation, first, a primer on how phone firmware upgrades work for carriers. When a carrier decides to sell a phone, a contract is usually written between the phone manufacturer and the carrier. In this contract, the cost of updates (to the carrier) is usually outlined. Updates are usually broken into several types: critical updates, maintenance updates, and feature updates. Critical updates are those that resolve a critical bug in the phone, such as the phone overheating. Maintenance updates involve routine updates to resolve bugs and other issues reported by the carrier. Finally, feature updates add some new feature in software that wasn’t present before. Critical updates are usually free, maintenance updates have some maintenance fee associated with them, and feature updates are usually costly.
In the past, most phone updates would mainly consist of critical and maintenance updates. Carriers almost never want to incur the cost of a feature update because it is of little benefit to them, adds little to the device, and involves a lot of testing on the carrier end. Android has changed the playing field, however – since the Android Open Source Project is constantly being updated, and that information being made widely available to the public, there is pressure for the phone to be constantly updated with the latest version of Android. With most manufacturers, such as HTC, Motorola, etc. This is fine and considered a maintenance upgrade. Samsung, however, considers it a feature update, and requires carriers to pay a per device update fee for each incremental Android update.

Now, here’s where the politics come in: most U.S. carriers aren’t very happy with Samsung’s decision to charge for Android updates as feature updates, especially since they are essentially charging for the Android Open Source Project’s efforts, and the effort on Samsung’s end is rather minimal. As a result of perhaps, corporate collusion, all U.S. carriers have decided to refuse to pay for the Android 2.2 update, in hopes that the devaluation of the Galaxy S line will cause Samsung to drop their fees and give the update to the carriers. The situation has panned out differently in other parts of the world, but this is the situation in the United States.

Some of you might have noticed Verion’s Fascinate updated, but without 2.2 : This is a result of a maintenance agreement Samsung must honor combined with Verizon’s unwillingness to pay the update fees.
In short, Android 2.2 is on hold for Galaxy S phones until the U.S. carriers and Samsung reach a consensus.

I'm not sure the validity of this post, but it may offer more insight.  This is a post from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=913045

Hello,

I’m going to step across the NDAs and explain the issues behind the Android Froyo update to Samsung Galaxy S phones in the United States. I think most of you have come to this realization yourself now: the withholding of the Froyo update is a largely political one, not a technological one: Froyo runs quite well on Galaxy S phones, as those of you that have run leaked updates may have noticed.

To explain the political situation, first, a primer on how phone firmware upgrades work for carriers. When a carrier decides to sell a phone, a contract is usually written between the phone manufacturer and the carrier. In this contract, the cost of updates (to the carrier) is usually outlined. Updates are usually broken into several types: critical updates, maintenance updates, and feature updates. Critical updates are those that resolve a critical bug in the phone, such as the phone overheating. Maintenance updates involve routine updates to resolve bugs and other issues reported by the carrier. Finally, feature updates add some new feature in software that wasn’t present before. Critical updates are usually free, maintenance updates have some maintenance fee associated with them, and feature updates are usually costly.
In the past, most phone updates would mainly consist of critical and maintenance updates. Carriers almost never want to incur the cost of a feature update because it is of little benefit to them, adds little to the device, and involves a lot of testing on the carrier end. Android has changed the playing field, however – since the Android Open Source Project is constantly being updated, and that information being made widely available to the public, there is pressure for the phone to be constantly updated with the latest version of Android. With most manufacturers, such as HTC, Motorola, etc. This is fine and considered a maintenance upgrade. Samsung, however, considers it a feature update, and requires carriers to pay a per device update fee for each incremental Android update.

Now, here’s where the politics come in: most U.S. carriers aren’t very happy with Samsung’s decision to charge for Android updates as feature updates, especially since they are essentially charging for the Android Open Source Project’s efforts, and the effort on Samsung’s end is rather minimal. As a result of perhaps, corporate collusion, all U.S. carriers have decided to refuse to pay for the Android 2.2 update, in hopes that the devaluation of the Galaxy S line will cause Samsung to drop their fees and give the update to the carriers. The situation has panned out differently in other parts of the world, but this is the situation in the United States.

Some of you might have noticed Verion’s Fascinate updated, but without 2.2 : This is a result of a maintenance agreement Samsung must honor combined with Verizon’s unwillingness to pay the update fees.
In short, Android 2.2 is on hold for Galaxy S phones until the U.S. carriers and Samsung reach a consensus.

49 of 54 (3,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2011 6:16:50 AM
(0)
Contributor

What is this update and will it work on an SGH-I897?

http://pages.samsung.com/ca/froyo/English/

What is this update and will it work on an SGH-I897?

http://pages.samsung.com/ca/froyo/English/

50 of 54 (1,801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2011 6:42:04 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am extremely dissappointed with the progress of this update.  Every other major carrier has been rolling out this update. In fact, I'm extremely dissappointed with ATT wireless in general. I live in the city of Chicago and have had lots of dropped calls. Sometimes, my phone can't get even get a signal. I just get that Do not Enter icon. When my contract is up, I'm definately leaving ATT.

I am extremely dissappointed with the progress of this update.  Every other major carrier has been rolling out this update. In fact, I'm extremely dissappointed with ATT wireless in general. I live in the city of Chicago and have had lots of dropped calls. Sometimes, my phone can't get even get a signal. I just get that Do not Enter icon. When my contract is up, I'm definately leaving ATT.

51 of 54 (2,941 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2011 12:21:36 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by jhid on Feb 15, 2011 at 12:35:59 PM

An official Samsung Rep showed up on XDA's website and invited questions. Almost all questions were regarding the lack of froyo updates. He failed to answer a single question. most of his treads are now locked, but here is a link to one that is still open, also a link to his profile, so you can send him private messages:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=954871&page=12

http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=3645887

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=954896

An official Samsung Rep showed up on XDA's website and invited questions. Almost all questions were regarding the lack of froyo updates. He failed to answer a single question. most of his treads are now locked, but here is a link to one that is still open, also a link to his profile, so you can send him private messages:

[ Edited ]
52 of 54 (2,717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2011 12:49:30 PM
(0)
Professor

jhid wrote:

Why would anyone believe this joker is for real?

jhid wrote:

Why would anyone believe this joker is for real?

53 of 54 (2,684 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2011 8:49:54 AM
(0)
Contributor

54 of 54 (2,325 Views)