Froyo on Captivate - Is it too much to ask for a progress update, AT&T/Samsung?

Tutor

Froyo on Captivate - Is it too much to ask for a progress update, AT&T/Samsung?

[ Edited ]

I don't care when Froyo is released officially for the Captivate (within reason), but somebody needs to take responsibility and give the Captivate owners some kind of progress update for the release.  With all the "Froyo for Galaxy S" rumors flying around, I have chosen not to believe anyone unless it comes straight from AT&T or Samsung.

So, AT&T and Samsung, how about giving your deserving customers an idea of what is going on, and if Froyo is actually still in the works?

A little communication goes a long way. I'm not asking for much here.

Message 1 of 54 (11,035 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Re: Froyo on Captivate - Is it too much to ask for a progress update, AT&T/Samsung?

Samsung in the past was NEVER good with software updates, so their track record doesn't make me think they will have any updates for our phone, 2.2 or 2.3.  The one shining glimpse of hope is that the rumor of going straight to 2.3 could very well be true.  We all saw the leaked firmware for our phone over a month ago, then all of a sudden the release of froyo became really quiet.  Seeing how the Nexus S is probably very close to our phones, it is very possible Samsung pulled resources from the team doing the 2.2 conversion for their phones and had them work on 2.3 instead, knowing going to 2.2 would be a waste when they could go straight to 2.3. 

Sure it is a long shot... I am hoping it is a correct one.  For sure though, i would say there is no way we see Gingerbread until the Nexus One gets it though.  After that I would say the door is open.

Message 16 of 54 (4,333 Views)
Employee

Re: Froyo on Captivate - Is it too much to ask for a progress update, AT&T/Samsung?

To be honest at&t doesn't have to release an update. I'm sure they're original iphone users out there mad that they can't get any new updates as well
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 17 of 54 (4,081 Views)
Contributor

Samsung release froyo for the Captivate months ago.   Other vendors in Canada and England pushed it to the Captivate last month.   AT&T is either still sitting on it or isn't going to update the Captivate.

If you google Froyo and Captivate, you will find instructions on how to install the stock (not AT&T) version.

Message 18 of 54 (3,993 Views)
Professor

JFizDaWiz wrote:
To be honest at&t doesn't have to release an update. I'm sure they're original iphone users out there mad that they can't get any new updates as well

That is not an apples to apples comparison.  The original iPhone has been out for over 3 years; it is not surprising that they no longer receive updates.  The iPhone 4 has been out for almost 6 months; the Captivate has been out around 4 months.  The iPhone 4 can and does get updates relatively quickly.  The Captivate, not so much.

Message 19 of 54 (3,741 Views)
Contributor

Uhhhh...the captivate ....not at all.....

Waiting .....and waiting.......and waiting.

Epic fail Att.

"relax they said....give it time they said....its been 4 months. I have "relaxed" long enough. Now im just very angry.

Message 20 of 54 (3,710 Views)
Master

Try waiting six months for a OS update (I did) or like what has happened for Backflip. It was eight months from the release of the phone to get it updated from 1.5 to 2.1 android OS
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 21 of 54 (4,114 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Hi, I'm subterfug and this is my first time posting on this forum. I'm a long time reader and I after reading a handful of your posts, I decided to resister just to say {keep it courteous}.

Comparing iOS to Android is like comparing Apples to.... mmm I'm gonna go with Wu Tang Clan.

Apple has only their own hardware to support with iOS. That is: 3 generations of iPod Touches, 4 gens of iPhones and an iPad. Android must be customized for a variety of phones.

Also the iPhone - as restrictive and locked down as it is - works. Its GPS works (Captivate does not), it is snappy (Android 2.1 is sluggish despite a 1GHz proccessor), and the Captivate will randomly shut off.

I got this phone the first week of September and understood the problems this phone had. I went with it anyway because I knew 2.2 was on the horizon in the beginning/mid October. We are now approaching mid December with not a peep from AT&T or Samsung, save for a GPS "fix" that did not fix the GPS.

Personally, I am running the leaked 2.2 build, and it is much better than 2.1. This however doesn't mean I don't care. AT&T and Samsung should be supporting their customers. Period.

Happy holidays. Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 54 (4,064 Views)
Tutor

subterfug wrote:

This however doesn't mean I don't care. AT&T and Samsung should be supporting their customers. Period.

Couldn't have said it better myself. After paying $200 for a phone and another $180 each year just for data, we deserve to know what is going on.

If you are okay with giving AT&T this much money and not demanding a little communication (or “relaxing” as some call it), that's great. Just understand everyone else has higher expectations.

Keeping well-paying customers updated is common courtesy. AT&T/Samsung don't get it.

Message 23 of 54 (4,010 Views)
Employee

I'm not trying to sound mean but why would you purchase an item that you feel is sub par because you heard they would update it

I just hope when 2.2 is released I dont see wheres 2.3 the very next day
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 24 of 54 (4,000 Views)
Master

@JFizDaWiz
You will. I have already seen those kind of posts for other Android phones. It usually goes "Hey I got 2.1, it's broke! Where's 2.2? " or some kind of varient.
Message 25 of 54 (3,974 Views)
Tutor

So I should buy a product for what it is at the present moment? Sounds like a wise idea, however when functionality is broken, should I not expect it to be fixed? Does Microsoft NOT release security patches for their OS? Or game devs patches for their games? Did i get this phone expecting no fixes and updates? Certainly not. It is a common practice for companies to stand by their products. There are minor bugs here and there even with 2.2, sluggish at times too. The thing that is flat out broken though is GPS. At the very least this needs to be fixed, otherwise i dont think this phone should be marketed with GPS capability.
Message 26 of 54 (3,941 Views)
Scholar

I agree that bugs should be fixed.  But AT&T will probably say they gave you 30 days to make sure you were "satisfied" and you kept the phone.  "Clearly" you were satisfied!  Look, I really do hope they provide these updates/fixes, but I just don't think they care once they hook you.  As for the GPS "issue", I had an AT&T phone store manager tell me she had heard NOTHING about a GPS issue with the Captivate.  Nothing from AT&T or from customers.  Seems odd to me, but IF she's telling the truth, clearly AT&T doesn't consider this issue to warrant even a mention.

Message 27 of 54 (3,898 Views)
Tutor

@ Ann154 and JFizDaWiz: Both of you have misunderstood me since my first post.  I never asked for froyo. I asked for *communication*.  The title of my thread asks for a "progress update", not the actual product. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to clarify what I'm asking for. 

Let's be clear: I'm not asking for froyo. I'm asking for information about it. (Although I'm wasting my time because clearly AT&T doesn't check their forums, or ignore customers on the forums.)

****It does not cost AT&T money to tell me when or even if Froyo is coming to the Captivate.****    For the amount of money these data plans cost, AT&T should be happy to communicate with their customers.

Message 28 of 54 (3,785 Views)
Master

@schecter
Actually this post will be the first time I have responded directly to you. It was the other people's posts that I felt needed a reply.

As for your question, I will remind you this is a peer to peer forum and direct answers from AT&T should not be expected.

On the topic of communications with their customers. I would say AT&T is doing exactly the same thing as all the other carriers and keeping their mouths shut until any OS update is released. Whether it be for the Captivate, Backflip, Blackberry phones or iphone. Verizon doesn't tell their customers about updates. Even when they do say something it is "Update coming soon." for weeks. Sprint and T-Mobile are the same way. At this point none of the US Carriers' Galaxy S phones have Froyo nor have has there been any official announcements that it is coming. Even once the official update is released, it will take up to two weeks for all customers to get it through an OTA download. I have seen it happen several times already for different android phones and their respective OS updates.
Message 29 of 54 (3,644 Views)
Mentor

Everyone of the other carriers are getting updates to 2.3 and beyond Where is AT&T on the froyo update for my Captivate??

AT&T is rated by Cnet as the worst Carrier and when it comes to Updates, SPrint and Verizon are eating there lunch

While Aria, Droid and Others are getting the Updates, Here We captivate owners stand with our !@#$%^PHONE in our Hand. Had I known AT&T was this poor at providing Much needed and necessary OS updates in a timely manner I would have chosen another carrier.

It's no wonder the other companies are gaining market share while AT&T gives up. Making all the wrong decisions and again the consumer and loyal customers get attached to another object by an incline plane, wrapped helicly around an axis. a.k.a. Screwed!

Thanx.:smileymad:

Message 30 of 54 (3,160 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.