Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 20, 2010
4:10:42 PM
View profile
Froyo for Dell Streak

Okay, everyone and their sister outside of ATT is getting Froyo.  So, Froyo is available, can you tell me why it's taking ATT so long to release Froyo?  The software is obviously working.  Is ATT holding release what is the story here?

Okay, everyone and their sister outside of ATT is getting Froyo.  So, Froyo is available, can you tell me why it's taking ATT so long to release Froyo?  The software is obviously working.  Is ATT holding release what is the story here?

Froyo for Dell Streak

26 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(26)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 4:51:16 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by das8nt on Dec 20, 2010 at 4:52:27 PM

I know it's frustrating, but it's become a pretty expected practice. The manufacturer prepares their 'stock' or proprietary version for unlocked or unsubsidized versions of the hardware and then works with AT&T to allow them to add their required/agreed upon software and settings. It has happened, and likely will continue to, on all Android smartphones to date. AT&T seems to be one of the slower providers when it comes to preparing their version of the new OS. Dell has stated that the AT&T version will be out in January; likely the middle of January. It's the price we pay for software subsidized phones on the cheap. That doesn't make it any less annoying, I know.

I know it's frustrating, but it's become a pretty expected practice. The manufacturer prepares their 'stock' or proprietary version for unlocked or unsubsidized versions of the hardware and then works with AT&T to allow them to add their required/agreed upon software and settings. It has happened, and likely will continue to, on all Android smartphones to date. AT&T seems to be one of the slower providers when it comes to preparing their version of the new OS. Dell has stated that the AT&T version will be out in January; likely the middle of January. It's the price we pay for software subsidized phones on the cheap. That doesn't make it any less annoying, I know.

Re: Froyo for Dell Streak

[ Edited ]
2 of 27 (2,525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 5:39:24 PM
(0)
Guru

I bought my streak directly from Dell, off contract (Oct 2010).  It did come with the at&t garbage (no at&t badges on the front of the phone though).  I held off rooting/hacking/updating until a couple weeks ago when it was announced that once again, you can't count on at&t updating anything in a timely matter, EXCEPT the iPhone.

Went over to XDA-Developers, downloaded the QDL-repair tool, had the 2.2, 309 version up and running, and then it was a simple download to get the 318 version up and running, WITHOUT any of the at&t stuff clogging up the phone.  Plus, wi-fi tethering is working perfectly.

Of course, if you go that route, the warranty is gone, not to mention if you buy one from at&t, they won't take it on return if you screw something up.

I bought my streak directly from Dell, off contract (Oct 2010).  It did come with the at&t garbage (no at&t badges on the front of the phone though).  I held off rooting/hacking/updating until a couple weeks ago when it was announced that once again, you can't count on at&t updating anything in a timely matter, EXCEPT the iPhone.

Went over to XDA-Developers, downloaded the QDL-repair tool, had the 2.2, 309 version up and running, and then it was a simple download to get the 318 version up and running, WITHOUT any of the at&t stuff clogging up the phone.  Plus, wi-fi tethering is working perfectly.

Of course, if you go that route, the warranty is gone, not to mention if you buy one from at&t, they won't take it on return if you screw something up.

3 of 27 (2,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 5:39:29 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by br4nd0nh347 on Dec 21, 2010 at 5:40:40 PM

What OS do you guys have now?

Android 1.6?

Edit:  First two posters

What OS do you guys have now?

Android 1.6?

Edit:  First two posters

[ Edited ]
4 of 27 (2,468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 1:55:47 PM
(0)
Scholar

FINALLY picked up a Streak today! 1.6 of course, and from what I've heard online, a post was made from someone at Dell that it would be the week of Jan 12.

Now....just wondering where that extra tax came from ($55 tax on a $99 purchase).

FINALLY picked up a Streak today! 1.6 of course, and from what I've heard online, a post was made from someone at Dell that it would be the week of Jan 12.

Now....just wondering where that extra tax came from ($55 tax on a $99 purchase).

5 of 27 (2,422 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 2:52:41 PM
(0)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

If you are in california and some other states the sales tax is calculated on the full retail price of the device and not the subsidized price

diagoro wrote:

If you are in california and some other states the sales tax is calculated on the full retail price of the device and not the subsidized price

6 of 27 (2,416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 4:05:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

All AT&T Streaks are officially running 1.6 as of now. As stated above the AT&T 2.2 is supposed to come in the middle of January.

All AT&T Streaks are officially running 1.6 as of now. As stated above the AT&T 2.2 is supposed to come in the middle of January.

7 of 27 (2,404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 6:21:16 AM
(0)
Contributor

Any updates on the time line for 2.2 release for the streak? Now towards the end of the month and have heard nothing.

Any updates on the time line for 2.2 release for the streak? Now towards the end of the month and have heard nothing.

8 of 27 (1,593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 9:13:06 AM
(0)
Expert

kenster87 wrote:

all you will see here is user posts, this is a peer to peer forum, att people only officially moderate it. Posts by att employees outside of moedration is on their own time and their own opinion

kenster87 wrote:

all you will see here is user posts, this is a peer to peer forum, att people only officially moderate it. Posts by att employees outside of moedration is on their own time and their own opinion

9 of 27 (1,577 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 4:55:56 PM
(0)
Guru

Don't count on 2.2 "offical" anytime soon.  I got tired of waiting in December and did it myself.

It's easy to do, takes less than 1/2 hour, and you'll be up to date without the bloat from at&t.  Of course, you void

your warranty, risk male pattern baldness, upset stomach, restless leg syndrome etc....

But, you'll have a Streak without the bloat from at&t & features that the android OS is suppose to have, without it being locked out by the deathstar Smiley Wink

Don't count on 2.2 "offical" anytime soon.  I got tired of waiting in December and did it myself.

It's easy to do, takes less than 1/2 hour, and you'll be up to date without the bloat from at&t.  Of course, you void

your warranty, risk male pattern baldness, upset stomach, restless leg syndrome etc....

But, you'll have a Streak without the bloat from at&t & features that the android OS is suppose to have, without it being locked out by the deathstar Smiley Wink

10 of 27 (1,548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 7:51:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

There's still nothing official, but from the last statement from AT&T/Dell it would be at least a couple more weeks from the time they made that statement, which was about 1.5 weeks ago. I would expect to have it in the first 10 days of February, or another statement pushing it back by then at least.

There's still nothing official, but from the last statement from AT&T/Dell it would be at least a couple more weeks from the time they made that statement, which was about 1.5 weeks ago. I would expect to have it in the first 10 days of February, or another statement pushing it back by then at least.

11 of 27 (1,358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 9:09:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

It's Feb. and still no up date. What happen? Dell told me ATT drop the ball. Their the roadblock for the up date.

It's Feb. and still no up date. What happen? Dell told me ATT drop the ball. Their the roadblock for the up date.

Re: From for Dell Streak

12 of 27 (1,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 1:04:13 PM
(0)
Teacher
A supervisor at dell told me yesterday that I should have done more research on my purchase, and that there was nothing that they were going to do to help. at&t won't do any thing except transfer you to dell. So who's in charge? Why does either company think that we will ever do business with them again? I don't know about the rest of you, but if I'm stuck with this,i will make it a point to do business with a competitor, and make sure that everyone I know is aware of what went on. I'm no big shot by any means, but I do have a large family, quite a few employees, and a ton of customers who ask my opinion all the time, and I assume a lot of you all do as well. This is a bad business move, no matter how you look at it. Just telling us something official would be wise.
A supervisor at dell told me yesterday that I should have done more research on my purchase, and that there was nothing that they were going to do to help. at&t won't do any thing except transfer you to dell. So who's in charge? Why does either company think that we will ever do business with them again? I don't know about the rest of you, but if I'm stuck with this,i will make it a point to do business with a competitor, and make sure that everyone I know is aware of what went on. I'm no big shot by any means, but I do have a large family, quite a few employees, and a ton of customers who ask my opinion all the time, and I assume a lot of you all do as well. This is a bad business move, no matter how you look at it. Just telling us something official would be wise.

Re: From for Dell Streak

13 of 27 (1,106 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 1:51:33 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by katieeighty on Feb 12, 2011 at 1:56:27 PM

How? Where did you get the OS and what are the steps? PLEASE, tell me. {personal information removed}

I have been on a call with ATT, and they with Dell, for 1:05 minutes and counting. PLEASE.

How? Where did you get the OS and what are the steps? PLEASE, tell me. {personal information removed}

I have been on a call with ATT, and they with Dell, for 1:05 minutes and counting. PLEASE.

[ Edited ]
14 of 27 (1,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2011 6:34:32 AM
(0)
Guru

Streak_Freak wrote:

QDL-Repair Tool

Read this, watch the video, and if you are running windows x64 bit, watch the x64 bit video also.

It took me long to watch the video(s) and read the how to, than it did to upgrade.  After the upgrade,

you'll be on the 309 version of 2.2   At that point, connect to a wi-fi connection, to to settings, about phone,

and update to update to the 318 version, which has a lot of bug fixes that were introduced in the 309 version.

Smartest think you'll ever do, and the phone will be like a completely different device.  It will start with the Dell

stage UI, which I didn't care for and dumped that for Launcher Pro (free version) from the Market app site.

***disclaimer***  Of course, if you do this, you will void the warranty, possibly brick your device, cause

a rip in the time-space vortex, premature aging, dry skin, mood swings etc. *** (hope that will satisfy the

at&t mods Smiley Happy

Streak_Freak wrote:

QDL-Repair Tool

Read this, watch the video, and if you are running windows x64 bit, watch the x64 bit video also.

It took me long to watch the video(s) and read the how to, than it did to upgrade.  After the upgrade,

you'll be on the 309 version of 2.2   At that point, connect to a wi-fi connection, to to settings, about phone,

and update to update to the 318 version, which has a lot of bug fixes that were introduced in the 309 version.

Smartest think you'll ever do, and the phone will be like a completely different device.  It will start with the Dell

stage UI, which I didn't care for and dumped that for Launcher Pro (free version) from the Market app site.

***disclaimer***  Of course, if you do this, you will void the warranty, possibly brick your device, cause

a rip in the time-space vortex, premature aging, dry skin, mood swings etc. *** (hope that will satisfy the

at&t mods Smiley Happy

15 of 27 (1,047 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2011 8:32:31 PM
(0)
Scholar

I wonder how much more pressure ATT would feel if there were no custom mods available. Not that I don't appreciate them, they can/are a godsend in many ways. 

But what if........

I wonder how much more pressure ATT would feel if there were no custom mods available. Not that I don't appreciate them, they can/are a godsend in many ways. 

But what if........

16 of 27 (990 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2011 8:06:44 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Caretaker on Feb 14, 2011 at 8:20:32 AM

Why would AT&T think i would ever buy another phone from them?

Dear Mr. ********,

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail AT&T. I apologize that Dell Streak was promised to run Flash and be updated in the Android. You are also requesting to be compensated.  My name is Kellye { Personal information removed } , and I am happy to help you with your inquiry.

Mr. ********, in review of your email I have found that you must contact Dell customer service at 800-308-3355 for further assistance.

I encourage you to visit our web site (www.att.com/wireless) often to view current and previous monthly statements, make payments and to shop for new product and service offerings.

If you need to contact us again regarding a new issue please send us another email via the contact link through your online account.

Mr. ********, we recognize that you have a choice in wireless providers and we thank you for choosing AT&T and being a valued customer for several years. My name is Kellye { Personal information removed } , and our goal is to continue to provide you with excellent service.

Sincerely,

Kellye { Personal information removed }
AT&T
Online Customer Care Professional

Why would AT&T think i would ever buy another phone from them?

Dear Mr. ********,

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail AT&T. I apologize that Dell Streak was promised to run Flash and be updated in the Android. You are also requesting to be compensated.  My name is Kellye { Personal information removed } , and I am happy to help you with your inquiry.

Mr. ********, in review of your email I have found that you must contact Dell customer service at 800-308-3355 for further assistance.

I encourage you to visit our web site (www.att.com/wireless) often to view current and previous monthly statements, make payments and to shop for new product and service offerings.

If you need to contact us again regarding a new issue please send us another email via the contact link through your online account.

Mr. ********, we recognize that you have a choice in wireless providers and we thank you for choosing AT&T and being a valued customer for several years. My name is Kellye { Personal information removed } , and our goal is to continue to provide you with excellent service.

Sincerely,

Kellye { Personal information removed }
AT&T
Online Customer Care Professional

[ Edited ]
17 of 27 (949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2011 10:14:08 AM
(0)
Scholar

Kinda hard to rate the response without seeing your original email, but if it was directly related to the Streak update issues, this was nothing but a brush off.....

Kinda hard to rate the response without seeing your original email, but if it was directly related to the Streak update issues, this was nothing but a brush off.....

18 of 27 (928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2011 4:11:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

Dell is selling the Streak with 2.2 update. So why not ATT phone. If dell doing it. When I brought The phone last week, they told me it was going to get an update. Now it look like if you paid the phone off you get the update. Tough luck if you didn't paid it off?

Money talks.

Dell is selling the Streak with 2.2 update. So why not ATT phone. If dell doing it. When I brought The phone last week, they told me it was going to get an update. Now it look like if you paid the phone off you get the update. Tough luck if you didn't paid it off?

Money talks.

19 of 27 (872 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2011 5:32:08 PM
(0)
Teacher
Actually the extra couple hundred dollars for an un locked version pales in comparison to a new 2 year contact. As far as I'm concerned we paid in full and deserve the same respect and attention.
Actually the extra couple hundred dollars for an un locked version pales in comparison to a new 2 year contact. As far as I'm concerned we paid in full and deserve the same respect and attention.

20 of 27 (701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2011 2:14:17 PM
(0)
Employee

just load it on yourself. looking at past history, not Android phone on AT&T was updated to 2.2 if it was on a previous firmware. chances are it's not coming out. if you don't want to do it yourself, might as well quit complaining since no official AT&T word will be posted on here about it.

just load it on yourself. looking at past history, not Android phone on AT&T was updated to 2.2 if it was on a previous firmware. chances are it's not coming out. if you don't want to do it yourself, might as well quit complaining since no official AT&T word will be posted on here about it.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

21 of 27 (608 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2011 3:05:31 PM
(0)
Scholar

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Lots of us, like myself, aren't able to load it ourselves. AND....everyone doing it for themselves gives ATT far too much freedom from giving the proper support that was promised (for numerous phones). While the Streak was never sold by ATT, they could easily have allowed for a direct update via Dell for all Streaks. Instead, they're playing lame control games with their customers.

ATT owes a whole lot of updates to many customers, many of which were promised at the point of sale. All we get are promises on a rolling basis, not the actual updates. Yet we also pay the same amount for service, service which is less functional due to the entity actually selling the service. 

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Lots of us, like myself, aren't able to load it ourselves. AND....everyone doing it for themselves gives ATT far too much freedom from giving the proper support that was promised (for numerous phones). While the Streak was never sold by ATT, they could easily have allowed for a direct update via Dell for all Streaks. Instead, they're playing lame control games with their customers.

ATT owes a whole lot of updates to many customers, many of which were promised at the point of sale. All we get are promises on a rolling basis, not the actual updates. Yet we also pay the same amount for service, service which is less functional due to the entity actually selling the service. 

22 of 27 (596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2011 6:44:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

AT&T is really pathetic. 2 1/2 months ago, changed my carrier from T-Mobile after 4 years of service to AT&T and within 3 months i realized i did big mistake by moving to AT&T. 

These guys are not yet at all up to market either in 

1) Customer Service

2) Techinical Support

3) Phones Software updates (information at least either DELL Streak, Samsung Captivate)

The big funny thing is 

DELL Streak Froyo software released to entire world except to AT&T. I am still not getting why AT&T is blocking Froyo release as it is widely used across all phones... sometimes i feel very bad as my fellowers in India are using Froyo on their DELL Streak and here am still on 1.6. sometimes i feel shame myself as to be on AT&T. I am still trying to find to get out of AT&T as they keep on failing to keep their promises in all aspects. 

AT&T is really pathetic. 2 1/2 months ago, changed my carrier from T-Mobile after 4 years of service to AT&T and within 3 months i realized i did big mistake by moving to AT&T. 

1) Customer Service

2) Techinical Support

3) Phones Software updates (information at least either DELL Streak, Samsung Captivate)

The big funny thing is 

DELL Streak Froyo software released to entire world except to AT&T. I am still not getting why AT&T is blocking Froyo release as it is widely used across all phones... sometimes i feel very bad as my fellowers in India are using Froyo on their DELL Streak and here am still on 1.6. sometimes i feel shame myself as to be on AT&T. I am still trying to find to get out of AT&T as they keep on failing to keep their promises in all aspects. 

23 of 27 (528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2011 9:30:12 AM
(0)
Scholar

Perhaps you can locate some terms in their service contract that stipulates a certain level of 'service', something that will get them to close your contract without an etf....you'll have to have hard documentation though.

Perhaps you can locate some terms in their service contract that stipulates a certain level of 'service', something that will get them to close your contract without an etf....you'll have to have hard documentation though.

24 of 27 (491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2011 11:59:20 AM
(0)
Professor

chiranc wrote:

1) Customer Service

2) Techinical Support

The big funny thing is 

There are several customers posting on the AT&T Facebook page today that Froyo is out for the Dell Streak. I'm not sure where they are going to get it.

chiranc wrote:

1) Customer Service

2) Techinical Support

The big funny thing is 

There are several customers posting on the AT&T Facebook page today that Froyo is out for the Dell Streak. I'm not sure where they are going to get it.

25 of 27 (485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2011 1:02:34 PM
(0)
Guru

Official 2.2 from at&t

Be on wi-fi on your Streak (faster download).  Go to settings, About, scroll down to update and see if

it pops up.  If not, just open your browser to the link above and download it.  I had 2.2 two months ago

from "another" good source, so I don't know but would assume that this will wipe everything off your phone,

so make sure anything important is backed up.

I pretty much don't rely on the carriers, be it at&t, Verizon or anyone else to release an update in a "timely" matter (2.2 has been out since google released it almost a year).  If I want an update, I look elsewhere, which is why I buy mine off contract.

Official 2.2 from at&t

Be on wi-fi on your Streak (faster download).  Go to settings, About, scroll down to update and see if

it pops up.  If not, just open your browser to the link above and download it.  I had 2.2 two months ago

from "another" good source, so I don't know but would assume that this will wipe everything off your phone,

so make sure anything important is backed up.

I pretty much don't rely on the carriers, be it at&t, Verizon or anyone else to release an update in a "timely" matter (2.2 has been out since google released it almost a year).  If I want an update, I look elsewhere, which is why I buy mine off contract.

Link for 2.2 from at&t

26 of 27 (470 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2011 8:25:50 PM
(0)
Scholar
Come & getit! It's ready when u are......
Come & getit! It's ready when u are......

27 of 27 (445 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments