Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 30, 2010
4:02:44 AM
View profile
Freezing up of iTunes upon connecting of iPhone
Edited by SLIKRICK on Nov 30, 2010 at 4:05:06 AM

I wrote recently about my issue with iTunes freezing, and here my friend is having the exact issue. When she connects her iPhone to the computer the device is recognized by her system. She can see the iPhone in her My Computer (on PC), she can even transfer her pictures to the computer and everything. But iTunes not only doesn't show her device but immediately freezes and is non-responsive.

The program does become responsive again when she disconnects her device from the computer, but again becomes non-resposive upon reconnection. She's tried different ports on the computer, different sync cables, hard resetting on the iPhone, restarting the computer system, uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes (twice, each time restarting the PC before reinstallation). Nothing helps. I even let her use my laptop as a temporary means by which she could install the update to her iPhone. That worked flawlessly, but on her computer it is still a no go.

Interestingly, I don't see much posted online on this issue, but yet I've encountered this twice in three days. If anyone has any suggestions on this I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

I wrote recently about my issue with iTunes freezing, and here my friend is having the exact issue. When she connects her iPhone to the computer the device is recognized by her system. She can see the iPhone in her My Computer (on PC), she can even transfer her pictures to the computer and everything. But iTunes not only doesn't show her device but immediately freezes and is non-responsive.

The program does become responsive again when she disconnects her device from the computer, but again becomes non-resposive upon reconnection. She's tried different ports on the computer, different sync cables, hard resetting on the iPhone, restarting the computer system, uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes (twice, each time restarting the PC before reinstallation). Nothing helps. I even let her use my laptop as a temporary means by which she could install the update to her iPhone. That worked flawlessly, but on her computer it is still a no go.

Interestingly, I don't see much posted online on this issue, but yet I've encountered this twice in three days. If anyone has any suggestions on this I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Freezing up of iTunes upon connecting of iPhone

[ Edited ]
10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2010 4:38:51 AM
(0)
Professor

had this happen a few times.  typically i d/c the phone then restart itunes. my experience is that it works perfectly on the restart. not sure why this happens but the restart often fixes many oddities.  bub

had this happen a few times.  typically i d/c the phone then restart itunes. my experience is that it works perfectly on the restart. not sure why this happens but the restart often fixes many oddities.  bub

Re: Freezing up of iTunes upon connecting of iPhone

2 of 11 (1,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2010 5:44:12 AM
(0)
Professor
Thanks but thus happens everytime, after multiple restartes, disconnects, resets, etc. iTunes will not recognize the device or respond to anything while iPhone is connected.
Thanks but thus happens everytime, after multiple restartes, disconnects, resets, etc. iTunes will not recognize the device or respond to anything while iPhone is connected.

3 of 11 (1,000 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2010 7:35:37 AM
(0)
Professor
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I tried my phone on her computer and it won't recognize it either. Obviously, there's something amiss with iTunes. But even though I've uninstalled the entire program and reinstalled (third time now) it still does this. Won't recognize the iPhone or even respond to any inputs while connected, but instantly comes to life when the iPhone is disconnected.
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I tried my phone on her computer and it won't recognize it either. Obviously, there's something amiss with iTunes. But even though I've uninstalled the entire program and reinstalled (third time now) it still does this. Won't recognize the iPhone or even respond to any inputs while connected, but instantly comes to life when the iPhone is disconnected.

4 of 11 (991 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2010 8:14:36 AM
(0)
Professor
Further interesting is that her son's iPod does register in iTunes, and the program works, responding as it should. Even after that, when I connect either hers or my iPhone the problems immediately happen again.
Further interesting is that her son's iPod does register in iTunes, and the program works, responding as it should. Even after that, when I connect either hers or my iPhone the problems immediately happen again.

5 of 11 (983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2010 10:43:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I have heard reports that some people with laptops having certain Logitech webcams built in are having issues, and a temporary resolution is to disable the webcam, but that doesn't sound like her case.  It does sound like she might have an issue with her machine though.  Perhaps in the iTunes installation (or iPhone USB drivers which I think is a part of iTunes).  Have you considered making a backup of her library, uninstalling iTunes, then doing a clean install and restoring her library to see if the problem is resolved?  I would probably even go so far as to try connecting her iPhone before you restore her library to see if it works in a "clean install" state, so you can determine if it is a problem with her library or just her iTunes installation.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

I have heard reports that some people with laptops having certain Logitech webcams built in are having issues, and a temporary resolution is to disable the webcam, but that doesn't sound like her case.  It does sound like she might have an issue with her machine though.  Perhaps in the iTunes installation (or iPhone USB drivers which I think is a part of iTunes).  Have you considered making a backup of her library, uninstalling iTunes, then doing a clean install and restoring her library to see if the problem is resolved?  I would probably even go so far as to try connecting her iPhone before you restore her library to see if it works in a "clean install" state, so you can determine if it is a problem with her library or just her iTunes installation.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 11 (967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2010 1:54:40 PM
(0)
Professor
Interestingly, I have a logitech setup on my laptop, which is where I have her stuff temporarily synced to. She doesn't have any logitech stuff on her pc though.

It looks like I'll have to try that clean install option but I won't get a chance to try that until next week. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post back and let you know my findings.
Interestingly, I have a logitech setup on my laptop, which is where I have her stuff temporarily synced to. She doesn't have any logitech stuff on her pc though.

It looks like I'll have to try that clean install option but I won't get a chance to try that until next week. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post back and let you know my findings.

7 of 11 (953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2010 3:06:51 PM
(0)
Scholar

On a Mac you can create a new account on the computer and then none of the 3rd party drivers will be loaded if you restart the computer and log into this newly created account instead of the old account. Does it work the same way with Windows? Just asking since this is much easier than reinstalling the OS.

On a Mac you can create a new account on the computer and then none of the 3rd party drivers will be loaded if you restart the computer and log into this newly created account instead of the old account. Does it work the same way with Windows? Just asking since this is much easier than reinstalling the OS.

8 of 11 (945 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2010 4:11:55 PM
(0)
Professor
I don't know but it does sound a lot easier.

9 of 11 (934 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2010 8:35:11 PM
(0)
Scholar

SLIKRICK wrote:

It is the very first thing that I do when I'm trouble shooting something like this since it is so easy and it also eliminates issues due to corrupt preferences, fonts, etc. 

Wish I could help more but I only do Mac troubleshooting and consulting and don't know much about Windows. 

SLIKRICK wrote:

It is the very first thing that I do when I'm trouble shooting something like this since it is so easy and it also eliminates issues due to corrupt preferences, fonts, etc. 

Wish I could help more but I only do Mac troubleshooting and consulting and don't know much about Windows. 

10 of 11 (904 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2010 3:31:13 AM
(0)
Professor
I certainly appreciate the help. I'll try that next week when I'm over that way.

Thanks again.
I certainly appreciate the help. I'll try that next week when I'm over that way.

Thanks again.

11 of 11 (283 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments