Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 16, 2010
10:30:57 AM
View profile
Free bumpers for all iPhone 4 users...from Jobs and the conference
Edited by AnClar on Jul 16, 2010 at 10:32:24 AM

Steve Jobs just promised all iPhone 4 users a free bumper or case for the antenna issues.

Steve Jobs just promised all iPhone 4 users a free bumper or case for the antenna issues.

Free bumpers for all iPhone 4 users...from Jobs and the conference

[ Edited ]
93 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(93)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 11:41:12 AM
(0)
Scholar
it was just a funny, I don't really want one ha ha.
it was just a funny, I don't really want one ha ha.

Re: Free Bumpers

61 of 94 (1,054 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 11:44:46 AM
(0)
Mentor

I just called the att store. my local has tons of apple bumpers, but they arent giving them away, nor offering refunds. guess you can only do it through apple.

also, here is the video Steve Jobs played at the beginning of the news conference. pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKIcaejkpD4

I just called the att store. my local has tons of apple bumpers, but they arent giving them away, nor offering refunds. guess you can only do it through apple.

also, here is the video Steve Jobs played at the beginning of the news conference. pretty funny.

Re: Free bumpers for all iPhone 4 users...from Jobs and the conference

65 of 94 (1,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 11:52:46 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by rtapales on Jul 16, 2010 at 11:57:12 AM

I have had my phone for 8 days and walked out of the BestBuy with a Griffin Reveal and Zagg on the front. I have not had ANY issues with the phone - so I would have to assume the bumper solution will work since the principle is the same. Anyone in their right mind after spending 200 or in my case 300 for a phone would be crazy to not have it protected. The bumpers (or some protection) were an inevitablity for anyone wanting to keep their phone in decent condition (the guys on Youtube intentionally dropping naked iPhones aside)

I had a feeling that the Bumpers were a DIRECT result of Apple discovering this problem during development - why else would they sell a case of the phone when they never use to? They thought they could make lemonade from the lemon of a reception by selling the Bumpers for 29 bucks. But trust me - the Bumpers will fix the problem none the less.

I waited a long time for this Phone and still love it. It's not perfect - but neither is any phone. Lets face it most of us didn't buy it for its "superior" call quality - did we?

I have had my phone for 8 days and walked out of the BestBuy with a Griffin Reveal and Zagg on the front. I have not had ANY issues with the phone - so I would have to assume the bumper solution will work since the principle is the same. Anyone in their right mind after spending 200 or in my case 300 for a phone would be crazy to not have it protected. The bumpers (or some protection) were an inevitablity for anyone wanting to keep their phone in decent condition (the guys on Youtube intentionally dropping naked iPhones aside)

I had a feeling that the Bumpers were a DIRECT result of Apple discovering this problem during development - why else would they sell a case of the phone when they never use to? They thought they could make lemonade from the lemon of a reception by selling the Bumpers for 29 bucks. But trust me - the Bumpers will fix the problem none the less.

I waited a long time for this Phone and still love it. It's not perfect - but neither is any phone. Lets face it most of us didn't buy it for its "superior" call quality - did we?

[ Edited ]
66 of 94 (1,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 11:53:13 AM
(0)
Scholar
I'm having the issue but I have a case so no biggie. As a matter of fact my phones go in a case on day one when I buy them so I wouldn't even know about this issue. Anyway I'll pass on the bumper. Too scary not having a full case the I drop phones.
I'm having the issue but I have a case so no biggie. As a matter of fact my phones go in a case on day one when I buy them so I wouldn't even know about this issue. Anyway I'll pass on the bumper. Too scary not having a full case the I drop phones.

67 of 94 (1,007 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 11:55:14 AM
(0)
Scholar
Ha! Funny you mention it. I barely use the phone for calls compared to my time using apps and searching the net.
Ha! Funny you mention it. I barely use the phone for calls compared to my time using apps and searching the net.

68 of 94 (1,002 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 11:57:44 AM
(0)
Professor

Those bumpers cost what, 5 cents to make? Even if all the 3 million iPhone 4s got free bumpers, that's only around $150K cost to Apple - chump change.

I'm not sure if I want the bumper unless it's coupled with something to protect the front and back of my iPhone 4. I feel much more secure with a case.

That said, I might get the free bumper when my daughter's phone is upgraded Smiley Very Happy

Those bumpers cost what, 5 cents to make? Even if all the 3 million iPhone 4s got free bumpers, that's only around $150K cost to Apple - chump change.

I'm not sure if I want the bumper unless it's coupled with something to protect the front and back of my iPhone 4. I feel much more secure with a case.

That said, I might get the free bumper when my daughter's phone is upgraded Smiley Very Happy

Posted from my iPhone 4. Look at me I'm hot and nerdy.

69 of 94 (992 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 12:07:15 PM
(0)
Scholar

AnClar wrote:

ODCaloney wrote:
Man, all these multiple quotes makes it hard to read on the iPhone.
I don't know if I'll jump on the free bumper bandwagon. I think boys will get blue and girls will get pink bumpers.
I'm still waiting for Otterbox & Case-Mate to get some inventory.

Here, here...I'm waiting on the Otterbox myself.  Yeah, I like the sleek, sensuous lines of a naked iPhone 4 too, but given my lifestyle, an Otterbox will help insure that I have a WORKING iPhone 4 for a year or so! Smiley Very Happy

im going for otter box too especially since i plan to use that bad boy for hiking and geocaching...one drop in a forest full of rocks or bushes and bye bye glass casing.  i get into some funky spots with my itouch now.

AnClar wrote:

ODCaloney wrote:
Man, all these multiple quotes makes it hard to read on the iPhone.
I don't know if I'll jump on the free bumper bandwagon. I think boys will get blue and girls will get pink bumpers.
I'm still waiting for Otterbox & Case-Mate to get some inventory.

Here, here...I'm waiting on the Otterbox myself.  Yeah, I like the sleek, sensuous lines of a naked iPhone 4 too, but given my lifestyle, an Otterbox will help insure that I have a WORKING iPhone 4 for a year or so! Smiley Very Happy

im going for otter box too especially since i plan to use that bad boy for hiking and geocaching...one drop in a forest full of rocks or bushes and bye bye glass casing.  i get into some funky spots with my itouch now.

70 of 94 (955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 12:11:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

Docs44 wrote:

They will have it on the Apple site next week.  In the mean time, people will have to be patient, and at least try and read up on things instead of just posting questions. Read the other thread about this very subject. 

i think he was trying to make a joke...ugh does no one have a sense of humor in the world anymore? lame.

Docs44 wrote:

They will have it on the Apple site next week.  In the mean time, people will have to be patient, and at least try and read up on things instead of just posting questions. Read the other thread about this very subject. 

i think he was trying to make a joke...ugh does no one have a sense of humor in the world anymore? lame.

Re: Free Bumpers

71 of 94 (946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 12:20:57 PM
(0)
Mentor

mbones2 wrote:

Cute but he should be saying "take it back" rather than "bring it back" Smiley Wink  Have had my iPhone 4 since day one and find that I'm getting no more dropped calls on it than I did on my 3G.  When I'm in an area where I'm experiencing dropped calls, I just switch to my HTC Tilt2 and they go away.  Don't know why - they're both on at&t - but always seem to get better reception on the HTC.

mbones2 wrote:

Cute but he should be saying "take it back" rather than "bring it back" Smiley Wink  Have had my iPhone 4 since day one and find that I'm getting no more dropped calls on it than I did on my 3G.  When I'm in an area where I'm experiencing dropped calls, I just switch to my HTC Tilt2 and they go away.  Don't know why - they're both on at&t - but always seem to get better reception on the HTC.

72 of 94 (927 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 12:25:01 PM
(0)
Scholar

I want Apple to pay for my Otterbox Defender! Smiley Wink  Where do I sent my receipt? 

I want Apple to pay for my Otterbox Defender! Smiley Wink  Where do I sent my receipt? 

Sent from my iPhone 4, powered by iOS 4.3.1.

73 of 94 (919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 12:25:35 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by hikergirl on Jul 16, 2010 at 12:26:11 PM

Look I dont know about any of you but on my curve I would not only get call drops but a million resets.  people would call me and BAM reset.  Sometimes I would be in an outside area and lose signal.  Certain places make you lose signal more than others.  I have small hands.  I am a small girl so my deathgrip probably wont be a big deal but my god signal loss occurs in every phone!  Since when in teh world do phones NOT drop calls?  I remember the days that we used to think it was the carriers.  Now we all know better...There are so many factors that go into a signal (sattelite position or tower position, antenna placement, frequency jamming or overloaded frequencies, things touching it)  I mean comon...all this about one stupid thing on an antenna on an iphone...good lord.  I like the fact I'm gonna get a nice free 30 dollar case though ...

Look I dont know about any of you but on my curve I would not only get call drops but a million resets.  people would call me and BAM reset.  Sometimes I would be in an outside area and lose signal.  Certain places make you lose signal more than others.  I have small hands.  I am a small girl so my deathgrip probably wont be a big deal but my god signal loss occurs in every phone!  Since when in teh world do phones NOT drop calls?  I remember the days that we used to think it was the carriers.  Now we all know better...There are so many factors that go into a signal (sattelite position or tower position, antenna placement, frequency jamming or overloaded frequencies, things touching it)  I mean comon...all this about one stupid thing on an antenna on an iphone...good lord.  I like the fact I'm gonna get a nice free 30 dollar case though ...

[ Edited ]
74 of 94 (989 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 12:32:33 PM
(0)
Mentor

Same arguement as ... "you must be crazy or dumb not to but a cheap vinyl nose bra on the $80,000 Corvette..."

Come on fanboys, let be real.

Same arguement as ... "you must be crazy or dumb not to but a cheap vinyl nose bra on the $80,000 Corvette..."

Come on fanboys, let be real.

77 of 94 (980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 12:33:20 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by mbones2 on Jul 16, 2010 at 12:34:16 PM

hikergirl wrote:

When i was a csr for att, people would call in and just be FURIOUS over one or two dropped calls. Demanding several months of free service, free phones, and a general butt kissing. Some people would claim that the dropped call caused them to lose several thousand dollars in income from a job or contract they were negotiating...etc etc and expect ATT to reimburse them for this supposed lost income. Ridiculous. I personally beleive its why ATT changed there slogan from fewest dropped calls to whatever it is now. People expect 100% service no matter where they are. Very hard to get them to understand that a cell phone is NOT a land line that is constantly connected to the service. But they did, and probably still do call in to my former co workers and do the same thing day after day. Thats what happens when they preach, the customer is ALWAYS right, and people believe it. And they are most definately NOT always right.

hikergirl wrote:

When i was a csr for att, people would call in and just be FURIOUS over one or two dropped calls. Demanding several months of free service, free phones, and a general butt kissing. Some people would claim that the dropped call caused them to lose several thousand dollars in income from a job or contract they were negotiating...etc etc and expect ATT to reimburse them for this supposed lost income. Ridiculous. I personally beleive its why ATT changed there slogan from fewest dropped calls to whatever it is now. People expect 100% service no matter where they are. Very hard to get them to understand that a cell phone is NOT a land line that is constantly connected to the service. But they did, and probably still do call in to my former co workers and do the same thing day after day. Thats what happens when they preach, the customer is ALWAYS right, and people believe it. And they are most definately NOT always right.

[ Edited ]
78 of 94 (974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 12:35:07 PM
(0)
Scholar

yay free bumpersSmiley Very Happy

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

yay free bumpersSmiley Very Happy

79 of 94 (967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2010 3:48:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

So I've heard of this bumper for protecting your iphone 4. Where are they available?

So I've heard of this bumper for protecting your iphone 4. Where are they available?

Bumper

1 of 94 (1,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2010 4:00:38 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by SLIKRICK on Jun 14, 2010 at 4:03:51 PM

My understanding is, at least initially, they'll be available from Apple for a list price of $29.99.

My understanding is, at least initially, they'll be available from Apple for a list price of $29.99.

Re: Bumper

[ Edited ]
2 of 94 (1,272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2010 4:02:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank-You

Thank-You

3 of 94 (1,264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 12:29:44 PM
(0)
Contributor

Steve Jobs announced today that iPhone 4 owners will receive a free bumper. Does anyone know how to get one and get reimbursed?

Steve Jobs announced today that iPhone 4 owners will receive a free bumper. Does anyone know how to get one and get reimbursed?

Re: Bumpertod

75 of 94 (986 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 12:32:10 PM
(0)
Scholar

rmcgarity wrote:

you can get a free one starting next week and it must be ordered through apple.  I bet the link will be either on the main page, on the iphone 4 page or on the iphone main support page.

rmcgarity wrote:

you can get a free one starting next week and it must be ordered through apple.  I bet the link will be either on the main page, on the iphone 4 page or on the iphone main support page.

Re: Bumpertod

76 of 94 (978 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 12:46:51 PM
(0)
Mentor

I bought a Speck for my IP4 and I love it.

Steve give me an ITUNES card because I bought a 3rd party cover since your bumper was on backorder and your tech support told me I would not get that bumper for free! Oh and for me not to hold my phone the wrong way!

P.S.

Change your retail box to have Bumper not included!

I bought a Speck for my IP4 and I love it.

Steve give me an ITUNES card because I bought a 3rd party cover since your bumper was on backorder and your tech support told me I would not get that bumper for free! Oh and for me not to hold my phone the wrong way!

P.S.

80 of 94 (944 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 1:00:50 PM
(0)
Mentor

I don't need a free case, I already have one while I wait for the otterbox. However since it is free and i currently don't own the apple bumper, which I hear looks o so fabulous on the phone, I'll get it. The more case options the better Smiley Happy

I don't need a free case, I already have one while I wait for the otterbox. However since it is free and i currently don't own the apple bumper, which I hear looks o so fabulous on the phone, I'll get it. The more case options the better Smiley Happy

81 of 94 (1,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 1:03:55 PM
(0)
Master

darknightosb wrote:

P.S.

Why restate the obvious?  Nothing states or even applies that one is included and there is not even a photo of a bumper case on the retail box. 

There is already enough useless information on products to cover for lack of intelligence in the public.  You can only baby people so much.

darknightosb wrote:

P.S.

Why restate the obvious?  Nothing states or even applies that one is included and there is not even a photo of a bumper case on the retail box. 

There is already enough useless information on products to cover for lack of intelligence in the public.  You can only baby people so much.

82 of 94 (1,342 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 1:05:51 PM
(0)
Scholar

I have the Griffin Technologies Reveal case (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/reveal-iphone4) which I love.  I'm waiting for the Otterbox Defender case (http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-cases/iphone-4-cases/) to arrive in stores in 5-6 weeks.

I have the Griffin Technologies Reveal case (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/reveal-iphone4) which I love.  I'm waiting for the Otterbox Defender case (http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-cases/iphone-4-cases/) to arrive in stores in 5-6 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone 4, powered by iOS 4.3.1.

83 of 94 (1,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 1:48:26 PM
(0)
Mentor

Planet-Ed wrote:

darknightosb wrote:

P.S.

I understood that I would prob need something to isolate myself from the ANT on the phone when I saw the keynote with Steve.

The little old lady from Pasadena might not know.

I made my commnets only to bring up some points.

I know if I buy Coffee from anyone including the CLOWN with Golden Arches I can get burned if it spills on me. But someone made a big deal and made some serious $$$$ and now they place the warning that contents could be hot!

Planet-Ed wrote:

darknightosb wrote:

P.S.

I understood that I would prob need something to isolate myself from the ANT on the phone when I saw the keynote with Steve.

The little old lady from Pasadena might not know.

I made my commnets only to bring up some points.

I know if I buy Coffee from anyone including the CLOWN with Golden Arches I can get burned if it spills on me. But someone made a big deal and made some serious $$$$ and now they place the warning that contents could be hot!

84 of 94 (1,263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 2:19:17 PM
(0)
Guru

Slikrick, thanks for posting the pictures of the while iPhone with the bumper.  I really like the look of the bumper, but it just does not give any protection for the rest of the phone.  I have had a cover on my phone since the day I got it on June 23rd, so I don't have any idea if I would have reception issues without one.  I don't like the case I have so I will see what Apple will be offering...while I wait for Otterbox.

Slikrick, thanks for posting the pictures of the while iPhone with the bumper.  I really like the look of the bumper, but it just does not give any protection for the rest of the phone.  I have had a cover on my phone since the day I got it on June 23rd, so I don't have any idea if I would have reception issues without one.  I don't like the case I have so I will see what Apple will be offering...while I wait for Otterbox.

85 of 94 (1,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 2:55:11 PM
(0)
Mentor

i will be choosing to get a bumper if they have them available. i have noticed on their store they show as not being availble at the moment. so maybe they are holding back orders of them so they can stockpile the bumpers for this exact reason?

i will be choosing to get a bumper if they have them available. i have noticed on their store they show as not being availble at the moment. so maybe they are holding back orders of them so they can stockpile the bumpers for this exact reason?

Re: iphone 4 pre order still "in progress"!!!!

86 of 94 (1,180 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 2:55:52 PM
(0)
Scholar

mbones2 wrote:

hikergirl wrote:

LOL very true

mbones2 wrote:

hikergirl wrote:

LOL very true

87 of 94 (1,177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 3:45:26 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pamelaz on Jul 16, 2010 at 3:58:26 PM

What gets me is people can buy a 200.00/300.00 phone but cant afford a 20.00 case? And who carries a phone of this cost with no case on it? I beat all the people {word filter evasion} had cases on there 3g/3gs.

All I got to say to the {Please keep it courteous} is never buy a new car. They don't let you bring it back or give you new tires because they wear out so fast.

Kids!!

What gets me is people can buy a 200.00/300.00 phone but cant afford a 20.00 case? And who carries a phone of this cost with no case on it? I beat all the people {word filter evasion} had cases on there 3g/3gs.

All I got to say to the {Please keep it courteous} is never buy a new car. They don't let you bring it back or give you new tires because they wear out so fast.

Kids!!

[ Edited ]
88 of 94 (1,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 4:11:49 PM
(0)
Scholar
I agree, I have/had cases on my 3GS's

I agree, I have/had cases on my 3GS's

89 of 94 (1,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 4:26:21 PM
(0)
Mentor

kinsey38 wrote:

What gets me is people can buy a 200.00/300.00 phone but cant afford a 20.00 case? And who carries a phone of this cost with no case on it? I beat all the people btching had cases on there 3g/3gs.

All I got to say to the bitchers is never buy a new car. They don't let you bring it back or give you new tires because they wear out so fast.

Kids!!

It is not about the $$$

I think the reason people are a upset is because Apple tried to play it off.

Most of us bought the cover, bumper or whatever. That reduced the amount of people that returned or were calling in for issues. Most us kind of heard about the issue and made a choice not to call in knowing that once the covers come out or bumpers are available. That would fix the issue at hand.

For the first time they make a bumper/cover for the phone and then it just so happens that it is the fix for the signal issue when held in hand?

I am not sure but i think I remember Steve making a statment that many people were curious about the cuts on the metal case of the phone and saying that the reason for the cuts was because they had separate antenas and it would cause a problem if they touched.

Maybe the people that had issues with the phone were people that have sweaty hands or live in a humid area. IDK but the issue still stands, touch the phone in the wrong place and the signal drops unless insulated!

kinsey38 wrote:

What gets me is people can buy a 200.00/300.00 phone but cant afford a 20.00 case? And who carries a phone of this cost with no case on it? I beat all the people btching had cases on there 3g/3gs.

All I got to say to the bitchers is never buy a new car. They don't let you bring it back or give you new tires because they wear out so fast.

Kids!!

It is not about the $$$

I think the reason people are a upset is because Apple tried to play it off.

Most of us bought the cover, bumper or whatever. That reduced the amount of people that returned or were calling in for issues. Most us kind of heard about the issue and made a choice not to call in knowing that once the covers come out or bumpers are available. That would fix the issue at hand.

For the first time they make a bumper/cover for the phone and then it just so happens that it is the fix for the signal issue when held in hand?

I am not sure but i think I remember Steve making a statment that many people were curious about the cuts on the metal case of the phone and saying that the reason for the cuts was because they had separate antenas and it would cause a problem if they touched.

Maybe the people that had issues with the phone were people that have sweaty hands or live in a humid area. IDK but the issue still stands, touch the phone in the wrong place and the signal drops unless insulated!

90 of 94 (1,097 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments