Free Upgrades??

Contributor

Free Upgrades??

I was wondering what happened to my free upgrades.  I also notice that the date that I am eligilble for a discounted update keeps getting pushed back.  I would like to upgrade my daughter's phone.  This Christmas it will be 2 years since she last was able to upgrade.  Any ideas on where the free upgrades went?

Message 1 of 5 (8,201 Views)
Contributor

Re: Free Upgrades??

I was in the same predicament, and customer service didn't help me at all -- they kept saying I can upgrade now...and every time I asked if there would be a fee, they responded with "if you don't qualify for early termination, then there is no fee."  So they really didn't answer my question....because obviously I wanted to know what constitutes "early termination" and if my upgrades would be "free."

After rummaging through the site, I found out that early termination fees will be included to any upgrades ONLY IF you upgrade your wireless device BEFORE the 2-year contract ends (the fees vary depending on how "early" you terminate the 2-yr. contract.")  With that beging said, your upgrades SHOULD BE FREE once your 2-yr contract expires -- well that's what I'm assuming anyways.  My contract ends next week, so I'll update you on my status -- but for anyone else out there who knows for sure, please let us know!

Message 2 of 5 (7,004 Views)
Expert

Texrob30 wrote:

I was wondering what happened to my free upgrades.  I also notice that the date that I am eligilble for a discounted update keeps getting pushed back.  I would like to upgrade my daughter's phone.  This Christmas it will be 2 years since she last was able to upgrade.  Any ideas on where the free upgrades went?

beleive it is 20 - 24 months, many factors can affect the upgrade eligibilty time frame, such as what the cost of the line is, on a family plan the primary  line will always qualify for a upgrade before the other lines, if you service has been suspended voluntarilly or involuntarily, if there is an unpaid balance on the account.

The upgrades are not free depending on the phone you choose - the upgrades are the same as a new customer incentive, if you are eleigible for a upgrade and you want a 16GB iphone 4S you can pay the exact same price for the 16GB Iphone 4s as a new customer can - 199.00, if the phone you want is shown as free to a new customer, it is free to you also

Message 3 of 5 (6,995 Views)
Contributor

I found out that currently, there techinically is no "free upgrades."   I'm not sure if that's how it was before -- because I remembered it differently, but ATT only offers all their existing customers a variety of "free cellphones" but THERE IS an upgrading fee per cellphone.  I might have remembered it differently because you don't pay the fee upfront when you purchase the new and/or "free" cellphone.  You actually see the fee on your next billing statement -- so techinically you're still paying a certain amount for that "free cellphones."

Message 4 of 5 (6,975 Views)
Expert

jhapitan wrote:

I found out that currently, there techinically is no "free upgrades."   I'm not sure if that's how it was before -- because I remembered it differently, but ATT only offers all their existing customers a variety of "free cellphones" but THERE IS an upgrading fee per cellphone.  I might have remembered it differently because you don't pay the fee upfront when you purchase the new and/or "free" cellphone.  You actually see the fee on your next billing statement -- so techinically you're still paying a certain amount for that "free cellphones."

att - 18.00 for upgrade processing, 30 day buyers remorse time period

Verizon - 36.00 for upgrade processing, 14 day buyers remorse time period

Sprint - 36.00 for upgrade processing, 14 day buyers remorse time period

as you see all carriers charge for the services required to be processed to upgrade you phone, att is by far the cheapest, they all offer reduced rate phones, either at a fraction of manufacturers suggested retail price or no charge at all for the phone, so the phone is still free.

Message 5 of 5 (6,970 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.