Ask a question

Posted Jul 11, 2010
    6:13:29 PM
    Free MicroCell

Yes! Yes! Yes! ive posted this in 2 locations but i felt it wa important enough to do...

Has anyone read this:

http://www.gizmodo.com/5584231/att-microcell-fairy -gifts-iphone-user-with-free-3g-microcell

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/10/atandt-handing- out-free-3g-microcells-to-loyal-customers

Id like to know how to get my own MicroCell tower. I have been anextremely loyal customer for the amount of issues I have experianced.

Free MicroCell

46 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (46)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 11, 2010 7:58:29 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

I just saw this.  I need to start reading the mail at&t sends because I want one too!

Re: Free MicroCell

2 of 47 (14,336 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 11, 2010 8:05:00 PM
    (0)
    Guru

ive read about it
    i dont think id get one bc i live in an area that has great coverage
    nor would i need one anyways

3 of 47 (14,328 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 11, 2010 8:13:28 PM
    (0)
    Guru
    I totally deserve one. My cabin gets 1 bar on edge outside. Barely enough signal to send / receive texts... I'm very loyal and with a bill of $200 /month I deserve it.

4 of 47 (14,311 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 11, 2010 8:15:14 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

All the 3G microcell is is a different kind of router.  You need a broadband connection to use it, so if you have an iPhone 4, you could just use your WiFi, unless you want to make calls, then that's a different story.

5 of 47 (14,306 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 11, 2010 9:08:07 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I totally would take one of these. it would solve almost all the issues i report to AT&T. Ive gone back and forth about  getting one of these, or leaving for a diffrent provider

6 of 47 (14,267 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 12, 2010 5:38:43 AM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by BostonBeans on Jul 12, 2010 at 6:34:25 AM

After all the hassle of setting it up now they tell me it's free? Perhaps there is a letter waiting for me at home! Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
    7 of 47 (14,139 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 12, 2010 9:00:23 AM
    (0)
    Mentor
    Edited by biggnoggin on Jul 12, 2010 at 9:00:56 AM

It's a market trial in certain areasSmiley Happy

[ Edited ]
    8 of 47 (14,020 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 12, 2010 1:59:55 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

If this is not retroactive I'm gonna be mightily annoyed!  After years of 0-bar signal in my house I wound up paying $150.00 for this thing and I felt that AT&T should have given it to me for free.

9 of 47 (13,771 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 12, 2010 7:10:50 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I just got my letter today offering a free microcell.  And I bought one last week!  Wonder if AT&T will give me a refund/credit.

Mike

Lafayette, CO

10 of 47 (13,598 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 12, 2010 7:45:36 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

i complained a bunch and got my microcell for $20 after credits ($100 rebate, 3 months of free "unlimited" to redeem rebate, $30 data rebate)

and guess what? it's still not worth it if you send a ton of MMS Smiley Sad

11 of 47 (7,028 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 12, 2010 7:55:06 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Same here—I'd like one of these for my parent's house. For free, and with no monthly fee. The alternative will most likely be that they switch to another carrier soon—they hate the situation that much.

They've been with AT&T since it was BellSouth Mobile and then Cingular here in north Georgia. That's over 10 years. Reception at their house was pretty good up until about a year or two ago. Now, a phone will ring but the voice quality is always garbled. Dialing out doesn't really work. None of the phones have any "bars" to speak of. And this is with phones by Nokia, Samsung, iPhone, Sony, doesn't matter. The whole family is with AT&T and none of our phones work well there any more.

So Dana Cogswell, if you're out there ...

12 of 47 (7,026 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 12, 2010 8:22:44 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

there is NO MONTHLY FEE for the microcell.

13 of 47 (7,015 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 13, 2010 8:10:06 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

T-Bone, thanks for the information.  It would seem to me that AT&T has made great strides in changing their interactions with customers to ensure the customer is happy.  I use to have Sprint and I could tell you some horror stories about why I left Sprint and came to AT&T.  However, at first AT&T's customer service wasn't anywhere near the quality of service I get today.  Maybe the iPhone was a great opportunity for the company to pay attention and focus on the customer experience.  

With that said, I can't help but admit I am a little disappointed with my iPhone 4 and the reception.  Apple was blaming it on AT&T and AT&T was blaming it on Apple.  In ether event, I'm a customer of both companies and I would hope someone would step up with a solution.  Apple is going to release new software but according to them it just changes the way the iPhone reports signal strength.  What I do know is I don't get the call quality and drop calls in my house all the time.  I didn't have this problem 'as much' with my iPhone 3GS and my wife's BlackBerry only drops a few calls here and there.  (Never dropped a call with Sprint in the house and my friends who have T-Mobil have no problems either.)

If AT&T was to start providing customers with service problems MicroCells, I can't help but think this would solve a lot of problems (and complaining) with AT&T's wireless signal.  I would have considered a MicroCell when they first came out but I cant justify paying a company to fix a service that I'm already paying them monthly to provide.      

I'm going to give them a call in the next few days and see if this truly is an option that will work for me.  Wish me luck!!

14 of 47 (6,933 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 14, 2010 9:13:27 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

Went to my local ATT store and the rep acknowledged that my service issues were due to capacity which has become a growing problem with the popularity of 3G devices. Folks in my town are receiving the free MC letter and the local store has no units currently available as a result...yet I have not received said letter...despite 9+ years loyalty and $200+ per month spend.

The geography in my area is such that the towers have a great deal of fluctuating demand, they are located near the Interstate and I see signals fluctuate from 0-5 indoors and outdoors in my community, and at my home. Signals from other towers is limited due to demographics and geography. I am less than a mile from a tower, and experience dropped calls regularly on a variety of 3G phones. I now have IP4, 3Gs and two 3G and have had other 3G devices as well. All experience issues in my home, less so outside the home.

I cannot see spending more my money to improve their network capacity issues. I hope the ATT employees who participate in this forum pass on the frustration we all have with the topic. My concerns are:

1. If network capacity is truly the cause of my poor service, and MC can help both me in my home, and others by freeing up capacity on Macro towers, it would be in ATT's best interest to make these available for free to all. The cost to ATT for giving away MC rather than investing in 3G capacity would be negligible.

2. The device itself appears to have a number of issues. Argue if you must, but the device is nowhere near plug and play. Average, non-techie users will grow frustrated with having to tinker with the devices and cause even greater anguish for ATT. Cisco is well known for reliability for the technically savvy, their commercial market products are flagship. However, the needs for consumer devices are far different, the average consumer is not interested in the tinkering necessary on many of their consumer products. Even their attempts to simplify SOHO routers is poor and many consumers leave security off as it is too complicated to set and make work consistently among a variety of WiFi devices.

3. Certain aspects of this device defy logic. In most homes, best performance would be obtained in a central location, yet GPS signal and LAN access can be a challenge. If this device could be located anywhere in the home by using WiFi to access the local network, and a static (rather than GPS) 911 location, we could enjoy superior service. I bet most would be willing to acknowledge the 911 risk if we were to relocate the MC device in order to bypass the GPS requirement as it stands.

4. I acknowledge the 3G network investment will not be addressed aggressively by ATT given 4G technology investments on the horizon. That said, this is a TEMPORARY fix to 3G capacity issues, and as such I am even less willing to invest in the device given it will become worthless in 3-5 years.

At the end of the day, I am willing to help them address their capacity issues, but not with my pocketbook. Alternately, I will be among the first to fly when an alternate carrier offers Apple devices. I see TMob and Sprint are beginning to talk about possible combinations, perhaps a 4G iPhone on that combined network would be far superior to the 3G experience on ATT, I am watching this carefully, but would likely be far less interested in alternatives if a simple, free Microcell solution solved the majority of my issues with ATT.

15 of 47 (6,763 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 14, 2010 1:39:03 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I am total in agreement with rbowers on this issue.  I have been a loyal AT&T customer since there were AT&T, before they were Cingular, and now back to AT&T. I am sending them over 200 dollars a month of my money, but can't use my iPhone in 1/2 of my house.  We have 6, yes, 6 AT&T 3G customers in my house that would benefit from an AT&T MicroCell.

I have been a huge defender of AT&T and their bandwidth issues as AT&T/iPhones account for 55% of all mobile web traffice in the country.  What one single carrier could withstand the strain on their network... NONE.

However, I am sitting here, just getting of the phone and being told that I am not a "valued customer" when it comes to the free MicroCell.  AT&T knows they have me for another 2 years as I just got 2 new iPhone 4's so why treat me with any concern.  how many others are in my position?

Locked in and wishing I would get good service, both 3G as well as customer.....

16 of 47 (6,707 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 15, 2010 4:17:23 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

I received my offer this past Monday (within my 30 day return window of my original Mcell) so they honored the letter and rewarded me by making my original Mcell free. I, as I'm sure many of you, deserve one and am VERY appreciative.

My first line of service with AT&T started in 1997, I added a second line in 2002 and three more in 2007. In 2008, I changed four lines to iPhones and in May 2010 added an iPad. I have always paid my bill on time and my average bill runs between $300-350 each month. I live in a low density population - wooded area with little to no coverage. I have never felt any bad blood towards AT&T, although I wish the coverage was better in rural areas I visit. They did the right thing, because I will soon have the options to have iPhones with Verizon and would have considered making the change, but feel a lot of loyalty to AT&T now, and most importantly, my needs are being met!

17 of 47 (6,531 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 17, 2010 5:03:22 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Update:  Went to the AT&T store today with my voucher in hand and they gave me $150 credit on my account.  Now if I can only get the Microcell to work I will be a happy customer....

Mike

18 of 47 (6,280 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 18, 2010 3:48:18 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

has anybody from Illinois recieved a free MC letter?

19 of 47 (6,211 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 20, 2010 2:10:00 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

Got a follow up call from my local ATT store that they now have units that can be ordered/shipped to my home and to bring in my certificate. I responded I dont have a cert and would not be interested in paying for a unit given all I read about difficulties.

I simply dont see this as a viable solution. My service is spotty throughout my home. Yet I cannot see paying for a Micro Cell which seems to offer little improvement and plenty of headaches.

So, I told her unless she could get me on the list for a free unit like many of my neighbors were given, that I would be switching carriers at the next opportunity. She seemed unimpressed to say the least. I guess ATT really does not want my $200+ per month business.

20 of 47 (5,963 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 20, 2010 5:59:35 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    I just picked up one from my local AT&T store after customer service offered to credit my account for the cost of a Microcell. It's nice having full bars in my house now.

21 of 47 (4,760 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 21, 2010 5:01:35 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

what state are you in?  did you recieve a letter in the mail or just wing it?

22 of 47 (4,707 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 21, 2010 9:57:18 AM
    (0)
    Voyager

AT&T can kiss my ***. For 4 months now we have not been able to use our phones at home (or neighborhood) due to tower degradation in the area. I have made numerous calls to AT&T complaining about this issue with no resolution. I called customer service and asked for a free MicroCell. Was told sorry but you will have to fork out $150 and buy it yourself. So let's see, I pay out close to $150 a month for the three phones on my account yet can't use any of them at home. You want to be able to use those phones you will have to pay us another $150 for the cell. I think not. Their response when I told them I was going to Verizon - We'll be happy to help you cancel your account now if you like! So as I said - you can kiss my ***. Going to Verizon today to pick up new phones!

23 of 47 (4,675 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 21, 2010 10:51:42 AM
    (0)
    Guru

hiflyer8 wrote:

AT&T can kiss my ***. For 4 months now we have not been able to use our phones at home (or neighborhood) due to tower degradation in the area. I have made numerous calls to AT&T complaining about this issue with no resolution. I called customer service and asked for a free MicroCell. Was told sorry but you will have to fork out $150 and buy it yourself. So let's see, I pay out close to $150 a month for the three phones on my account yet can't use any of them at home. You want to be able to use those phones you will have to pay us another $150 for the cell. I think not. Their response when I told them I was going to Verizon - We'll be happy to help you cancel your account now if you like! So as I said - you can kiss my ***. Going to Verizon today to pick up new phones!

I love rants like this.  They're so.... helpful. Hope you feel better after letting all that venom out. Smiley Tongue

Hey...if it would help, I'd switch to Verizon in a hearbeat too.  Trouble is Verizon's service at our house is marginal, just like at&t's.  That and my wife is addicted to her iPhone.

I hope Verizon is the answer to all your problems.  Good luck.

24 of 47 (4,656 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 21, 2010 11:13:05 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

jimdarcy wrote:

what state are you in?  did you recieve a letter in the mail or just wing it?

Ft. Laud. Florida.

I called and asked how much to cancel my account because I wanted to switch to Sprint since my friends get decent reception in my house with their Sprint phones my iPhone drops calls in the middle of my home.

We really love our iPhones so I'm not sure what I would have done if they called my bluff but I see it as a win win for both of us since we are getting two new iPhones just as soon as more are available.

25 of 47 (4,639 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 21, 2010 1:28:08 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

thanks for your reply, well done on the MC!  i like my iphones too

26 of 47 (4,603 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 21, 2010 2:22:46 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I tried going into my local AT&T store today and they said they couldn't do anything in the way of a credit EVEN THOUGH they looked at my account and saw dropped calls and failed call attempts going back to MAY when I forst started to call and e-mail about my issues in a new home.

I had problems long before that but never bothered to call in a case #, I used the AT&T Mark The Spot App like another customer service rep told me to do.

Why am I supposed to play their game just to get what I already pay for.....Cell service?

27 of 47 (4,579 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 21, 2010 3:04:40 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Edited by pamelaz on Jul 21, 2010 at 3:09:27 PM

I've been experiencing horrible reception ever since i joined at&t back in 1997. I actually surpirised to see that i'm still with at&t. I deserve the microcell becuase i'm paying $223 per month for 3 iPhones and 1 Blackberry that usually says "no service" or searching". An at&t rep told me "you should try restarting your phone almost every day. It could help with the reception." Ummm i dont think that restarting phones gives a better reception. It's your {word filter evasion} network!

[ Edited ]
    28 of 47 (4,549 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 21, 2010 4:17:21 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

In dead zones in my neighborhood, like the ones at just about all the grocery stores that I go to, I've found that by putting my iPhone in airplane mode and then right back out of airplane mode I'll often get a much better cell signal. 

I probably should use the mark the spot app a lot more but most of the time I'm way to busy doing other things like driving or grocery shopping.

29 of 47 (4,526 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 21, 2010 5:17:51 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

After leaving a sporadic message on a potential employers phone, my fuse blew!  Why were my iphone bars going from five to one and then dropping the calls?  I drove over to ATT and they put in a new SIM card.  When I mentioned about the community I lived in, the ATT salesperson said it's well known that my subdivision had bad reception.  He also added that many of the residents had received a letter from ATT regarding the infamous Microcell.  I had no idea what it was about, but quickly learned that that little device could solve my reception issues!  I actually went home and dug in my trash to see if I accidently threw away the ATT letter...thinking it was just junk mail.  No luck.  After confirming that the new SIM card did not help with reception, I called the Tech department at ATT.  After speaking with the customer service rep and three individuals in management, they refused to supply me with the Microcell.  I explained that others were receiving the snail mail offer, why didn't I?  They just didn't know and didn't care.  I learned a long time ago about supply and demand and the unusual dance between ATT and Apple has been interesting.  There's so much demand, that the quality of customer service and fixing their problems goes by the wayside. The managers I spoke with told me I'd have to buy the tower.  They wouldn't budge.  I told them that the problem was in their service (reception), not in my home construction! The issue is very simple:  ATT has provided a solution to THEIR problem in the form of the Microcell.  Why pass the bill onto the consumer in the way of a $150 charge and and optional unlimited minute plan for $19.99?  Why should the consumer have to pay for ATT's lack of building adequate cell phone infrastructure?  If I could, I'd change over to Verizon.  I LOVE my iphone, but can't stand ATT.  I already passed my disdain via Facebook to all my friends and family. I just finished talking to my boyfriend about the issue. After I finished, he said I had even talked him out of buying his future iphone. (He planned on getting one next month!) When will ATT and Apple wake up?!  They should know that word of mouth can be the best and worst type of Public Relations.  Given food and water, my verbal PR campaign can post and rant full time until August!  (That's when I return to teaching.)  Then next year, I will ensure that I teach my first graders about the character trait called integrity.  That's a term that has been lost at ATT and Apple. 

30 of 47 (4,498 Views)