Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 11, 2011
1:45:26 PM
View profile
Free AT&T Microcell, 5 Bars, Apple Airport Extreme Base Station flawless
Edited by dmw819 on Apr 11, 2011 at 1:46:36 PM

I got one of the letters for a free M-Cell .

Beautiful today in NYC, walked my dogs to the AT&T store, and the liesurely walk home took longer than getting the GPS lock and activation complete.  Followed simple "Option A."   TimeWarner cable modem > Apple Airport Extreme Base Station > M-cell. No port forwarding, no changed settings, incredibly seamless.

After powering all down, I made sure the modem was solid green before powering up the AEBS, the AEBS was steady green before powering the M-cell, and the M-cell was connected to the LAN (not WAN) port on the AEBS, and the M-cell was on a window sill for GPS lock.

Flawless. Now I realize it's been about a year since they first rolled the M-cell out in tests, but folks, this is outstanding.Five bars, anywhere in a duplex home with heavy steel & concrete slab construction.

AT&T & Apple - this is Epic. And getting it for free was a very savvy move on your part.  I'm eaxctly the type of customer the m-cell works best for - virtually no reception indoors - and now i've got 5 bars everywhere in the house.  For free.  Epic.

Beautiful today in NYC, walked my dogs to the AT&T store, and the liesurely walk home took longer than getting the GPS lock and activation complete.  Followed simple "Option A."   TimeWarner cable modem > Apple Airport Extreme Base Station > M-cell. No port forwarding, no changed settings, incredibly seamless.

After powering all down, I made sure the modem was solid green before powering up the AEBS, the AEBS was steady green before powering the M-cell, and the M-cell was connected to the LAN (not WAN) port on the AEBS, and the M-cell was on a window sill for GPS lock.

Flawless. Now I realize it's been about a year since they first rolled the M-cell out in tests, but folks, this is outstanding.Five bars, anywhere in a duplex home with heavy steel & concrete slab construction.

AT&T & Apple - this is Epic. And getting it for free was a very savvy move on your part.  I'm eaxctly the type of customer the m-cell works best for - virtually no reception indoors - and now i've got 5 bars everywhere in the house.  For free.  Epic.

Free AT&T Microcell, 5 Bars, Apple Airport Extreme Base Station flawless

[ Edited ]
7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2011 2:04:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dmw819 wrote:

That's how it was for me as well, including the AEBS, for 5 months. Then one update last month and it went south. A replacement MicroCell, 2 weeks of hassling, and port forwarding (MicroCell is the only wired connection) on the AEBS and we're back in business. Just like before.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

dmw819 wrote:

That's how it was for me as well, including the AEBS, for 5 months. Then one update last month and it went south. A replacement MicroCell, 2 weeks of hassling, and port forwarding (MicroCell is the only wired connection) on the AEBS and we're back in business. Just like before.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Free AT&T Microcell, 5 Bars, Apple Airport Extreme Base Station flawless

2 of 8 (2,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2011 9:57:19 AM
(0)
Guru

Congratulations - you're one of the lucky ones. The Microcells are definitely either feast or famine.

The number one problem we're having with ours at the moment are delays placing calls (it just sits there for a long time before you start hearing the other end ring and the call clock starts running) and failed call attempts (the delay lasts for about a minute, and then you get "call failed").

Let us know (because AT&T won't care) if you start getting this.

Congratulations - you're one of the lucky ones. The Microcells are definitely either feast or famine.

The number one problem we're having with ours at the moment are delays placing calls (it just sits there for a long time before you start hearing the other end ring and the call clock starts running) and failed call attempts (the delay lasts for about a minute, and then you get "call failed").

Let us know (because AT&T won't care) if you start getting this.

3 of 8 (2,411 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2011 9:44:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

I wish my setup would have gone as easy as yours. I started at 600p central time and left the house for 3 hrs and once returned home it still had not set up as it was supposed too so tried trouble shooting stuff still as I write this has NOT set up

I wish my setup would have gone as easy as yours. I started at 600p central time and left the house for 3 hrs and once returned home it still had not set up as it was supposed too so tried trouble shooting stuff still as I write this has NOT set up

4 of 8 (2,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2011 6:33:19 AM
(0)
Tutor

Update: so far, I've had a bit of call delay (maybe 10 seconds) once or twice, but no dropped calls or voice quality problems. Sending and receiving text messages (finally) is working better then ever before.  I've actually had to put my iPhone on 'silence' mode for the first time at night - because I'm actually getting text messages! 

Last night very late, about 3 a.m., I got up briefly and noticed the 3G light was blinking; so I power cycled the M-cell and in less than 5 minutes it was back on.  So far this is the only problem, but it's working again, 5 bars.

Update: so far, I've had a bit of call delay (maybe 10 seconds) once or twice, but no dropped calls or voice quality problems. Sending and receiving text messages (finally) is working better then ever before.  I've actually had to put my iPhone on 'silence' mode for the first time at night - because I'm actually getting text messages! 

Last night very late, about 3 a.m., I got up briefly and noticed the 3G light was blinking; so I power cycled the M-cell and in less than 5 minutes it was back on.  So far this is the only problem, but it's working again, 5 bars.

5 of 8 (2,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2011 9:50:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

I've had my N-class Airport Extreme Base Station  years, it's using DHCP;  I've not tweaked  port settings out of the box.  As I powered up my WiFi network 1st time to get M-cell activated, just for curiosity, each of the open AEBS LAN ports lit up green if i had plugged the M-cell's yellow ethernet into it.  I have an Airport Express in another room for airtunes and network coverage, I don't use the ethernet port.  I'm gonna experiment at some point over the weekend and see what happens if I plug the M-cell into the open AE ethernet port. 

I've had my N-class Airport Extreme Base Station  years, it's using DHCP;  I've not tweaked  port settings out of the box.  As I powered up my WiFi network 1st time to get M-cell activated, just for curiosity, each of the open AEBS LAN ports lit up green if i had plugged the M-cell's yellow ethernet into it.  I have an Airport Express in another room for airtunes and network coverage, I don't use the ethernet port.  I'm gonna experiment at some point over the weekend and see what happens if I plug the M-cell into the open AE ethernet port. 

6 of 8 (2,192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2011 10:23:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

dmw819 wrote:

After the last MicroCell update fiasco, the only way I could get my 3G light to stay on (and thus my connection) was to connect the MicroCell to one of the open LAN ports on my AEBS. DSL modem -> AEBS -> MicroCell and then do port forwarding to the MicroCell using it's own, DHCP assigned IP address. It's the only wired connection I have to the AEBS but it works just fine for me. Before the MicroCell update, I never had to do port forwarding and the setup order was the same. Seems that there are slight modifications to how the MicroCell needs to be setup depending on where you are etc. Typical AT&T.

dmw819 wrote:

After the last MicroCell update fiasco, the only way I could get my 3G light to stay on (and thus my connection) was to connect the MicroCell to one of the open LAN ports on my AEBS. DSL modem -> AEBS -> MicroCell and then do port forwarding to the MicroCell using it's own, DHCP assigned IP address. It's the only wired connection I have to the AEBS but it works just fine for me. Before the MicroCell update, I never had to do port forwarding and the setup order was the same. Seems that there are slight modifications to how the MicroCell needs to be setup depending on where you are etc. Typical AT&T.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 8 (2,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2011 6:49:00 AM
(0)
Tutor

It happened again last night, Sunday night April 17th about 8 p.m. or so - the GPS light started blinking, and then the 3G light started blinking.  This time I did nothing, just let it alone and it reconnected in less than 10 minutes by itself. 

It happened again last night, Sunday night April 17th about 8 p.m. or so - the GPS light started blinking, and then the 3G light started blinking.  This time I did nothing, just let it alone and it reconnected in less than 10 minutes by itself. 

8 of 8 (2,086 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments