Found Iphone

Contributor

Found Iphone

Hello to all,

Thanks in advance for the help the people

here will give me! 

I found a Iphone 3GS

and It's broken (the Glass) and I would like to know if

I can activate it after it's been fixed?

And can it be activated with at&t ?

Thanks

i_tr_662

Message 1 of 13 (4,652 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Found Iphone

It might be nicer to figure out who lost their iPhone?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13 (4,647 Views)

Yes,. if the broken front glass is all that is wrong with it, you can activate. Unless you determine it has been jailbroken and unlocked, it will only work on AT&T. If JB and Unlkd, then it will work on T-Mobile.  Be aware that once you put your AT&T sim card in it, the network will detect it as an Iphone and add the mandatory Data plan to your account.

Message 3 of 13 (4,647 Views)
Professor

i_tr_662 wrote:

I found a Iphone 3GS

I hope the person who lost the device finds you and files charges for posession of stolen property against you, unless you've already made attempts to find the rightful owner.

Message 4 of 13 (4,622 Views)
Master

satchev wrote:

i_tr_662 wrote:

I found a Iphone 3GS

I hope the person who lost the device finds you and files charges for posession of stolen property against you, unless you've already made attempts to find the rightful owner.

Agreed. That is complete theft and should not be carried out by you. Perhaps they are frantically searching for it, wondering where in the heck it could be. Unless they intentionally ran it over (cracked glass) or left it wherever you found it, I'm sure they are searching for it one way or another. Surely the owner wouldn't want to leave out in the open an electronic device that still sells for $500 on eBay.

It's best to return it before more damage is done, and not just to the already cracked glass of the iPhone 3GS... Smiley Wink

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 5 of 13 (4,462 Views)

Actually I believe most municipalities require the following:

1.  You turn in the device to your local police department as 'found' property.

2.  You wait 30 to 90 days, if no one claims said 'found' property in what ever the required time is for your city/county, you get to keep the device, free and clear.

Check with your local law enforcement first, some don't allow the 'finder' to keep the goods, but rather auction the found property and keep the proceeds for city services and things like that.

Message 6 of 13 (4,433 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

I would plug it in or move the sim to a spare phone and wait for it to ring.    If i was the owner i would be calling my lost phone in the hope someone honest found it.

Message 7 of 13 (4,408 Views)
Guru

DimentoGraven wrote:

2.  You wait 30 to 90 days, if no one claims said 'found' property in what ever the required time is for your city/county, you get to keep the device, free and clear.

Check with your local law enforcement first, some don't allow the 'finder' to keep the goods, but rather auction the found property and keep the proceeds for city services and things like that.

It varies from state to state but in Illinois it's not that easy. You could call AT&T and they should be able to contact the owner through the IMEI number.
Message 8 of 13 (4,361 Views)

Facci wrote:

It varies from state to state but in Illinois it's not that easy. You could call AT&T and they should be able to contact the owner through the IMEI number.

I would be suprised if Illinois expected its non-law enforcement citizens to participate much further than I outlined.  I know that in a few states it's actually illegal for citizens to NOT turn in FOUND property, yet in others, "Finders keepers" is darn near verbatim law.

Message 9 of 13 (4,342 Views)
Guru

DimentoGraven wrote:

Facci wrote:

I would be suprised if Illinois expected its non-law enforcement citizens to participate much further than I outlined.  I know that in a few states it's actually illegal for citizens to NOT turn in FOUND property, yet in others, "Finders keepers" is darn near verbatim law.

In Illinois if the owner can be located such as a wallet or iphone than the property is held for 6 months and than can be disposed. If you find something like cash than you have to go to court after you turn in the item to the police and file a motion in court stating what you found. Than if no one claims the item after 6 months than you must go back to court and obtain an order stating the item is to be turned over to you. It's a pain in the butt unless it's a large some of money.
Message 10 of 13 (4,332 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Facci wrote:

DimentoGraven wrote:

Facci wrote:

In Illinois if the owner can be located such as a wallet or iphone than the property is held for 6 months and than can be disposed. If you find something like cash than you have to go to court after you turn in the item to the police and file a motion in court stating what you found. Than if no one claims the item after 6 months than you must go back to court and obtain an order stating the item is to be turned over to you. It's a pain in the butt unless it's a large some of money.

There's logic (at least for the government) in that process. Most lost cash is not significant in singular instances, but if you add up all the lost $100, you wind up with a tidy little sum, which the city/county/state/police/fire, etc. keep and add to their budgets.

Message 11 of 13 (3,932 Views)
Professor

Facci wrote:

DimentoGraven wrote:

I'd be surprised if AT&T just gave out that info to someone who called, gave them an IMEI number, and asked for the account name and address associated with that number.  Even walking into a store with the phone in hand and telling them you found it, I'm not sure they would give you someone else's information.

Cell phones aren't like wallets with regards to easily finding out who the owner is.  A wallet usually has a driver's license or something inside with the owners name and address.  Cell phones usually don't have that, and if the screen is locked, you can't get into the phone anyway.  About all you can do is turn it over to lost and found, if it's lost somewhere that has a lost and found, like a mall or theme park, or turn in to the police.

Message 12 of 13 (3,917 Views)
Guru

I am an officer and I never said they will give you their information. They won't even give the police the information. I said they will contact the owner and have them contact you. It is easy and have done it many times.
Message 13 of 13 (3,896 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.