Posted Aug 9, 2011
8:11:10 AM
Forwarding GoPhone text message to Swedish cell phone
Edited by wilcofan on Aug 9, 2011 at 8:29:02 AM

Hi everyone!

I have a GoPhone from At&t, which I bought to take care of my US businesses from Sweden (I own and rent an apartment in NYC). Too late I discovered that the GoPhone doesn't work from Sweden. My GoPhone-plan is prepaid and called "Pay As You Go". 

My question:

Is there any way to forward text messages to my At&T GoPhone to my Swedish cell phone?  I need text forwarding more than forwarding calls, even if that is desired, too. Craigslist, banks and energy companies are among those who use texting as a verification service, and I really need this feature. 

Hope somebody has a solution to this problem!

Best,

/Per {Personal content removed for your safety}

Stockholm, Sweden

Hi everyone!

I have a GoPhone from At&t, which I bought to take care of my US businesses from Sweden (I own and rent an apartment in NYC). Too late I discovered that the GoPhone doesn't work from Sweden. My GoPhone-plan is prepaid and called "Pay As You Go". 

My question:

Is there any way to forward text messages to my At&T GoPhone to my Swedish cell phone?  I need text forwarding more than forwarding calls, even if that is desired, too. Craigslist, banks and energy companies are among those who use texting as a verification service, and I really need this feature. 

Hope somebody has a solution to this problem!

Best,

/Per {Personal content removed for your safety}

Stockholm, Sweden

Forwarding GoPhone text message to Swedish cell phone

[ Edited ]
4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 10:08:51 AM
(0)
Guru

The easiest way to do this is to port your phone number to Google Voice and use the Google Voice app on your Swedish phone (or forward the text message to email through Google Voice). 

The easiest way to do this is to port your phone number to Google Voice and use the Google Voice app on your Swedish phone (or forward the text message to email through Google Voice). 

Re: Forwarding GoPhone text message to Swedish cell phone

2 of 5 (855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 10:18:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hi Stufried and Thank You for your reply!

I tried to join Google Voice, only to find out that you can't join outside of the US (at least not yet). If nothing else works I will try your method when I go back to NYC later this year. Best, /Per

Hi Stufried and Thank You for your reply!

I tried to join Google Voice, only to find out that you can't join outside of the US (at least not yet). If nothing else works I will try your method when I go back to NYC later this year. Best, /Per

3 of 5 (852 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 1:32:36 PM
(0)
Guru

The alternative approach is TMobile prepaids have an option called WiFi calling.  Some of their phones can connect to the TMobile network via a wireless wifi router.  It does work outside the US (even though they don't promise it, my wife does this all the time) you could connect that way.  

If you have a US credit card, there also a pay virtual line service call Line2 which supports US SMSes.  Their app works on Android and iPhones worldwide and they support number portability.

If you have an iPhone, VoxOx has an app which gives you a US phone number which is text message friendly.  Texts cost one cent a minute and the number can be forwarded.  

If you have Symbian, look at Truphone's wifi service which gives you a US text message compatible number for free and free call forwarding to US phone numbers (pay to other countries).  

The alternative approach is TMobile prepaids have an option called WiFi calling.  Some of their phones can connect to the TMobile network via a wireless wifi router.  It does work outside the US (even though they don't promise it, my wife does this all the time) you could connect that way.  

If you have a US credit card, there also a pay virtual line service call Line2 which supports US SMSes.  Their app works on Android and iPhones worldwide and they support number portability.

If you have an iPhone, VoxOx has an app which gives you a US phone number which is text message friendly.  Texts cost one cent a minute and the number can be forwarded.  

If you have Symbian, look at Truphone's wifi service which gives you a US text message compatible number for free and free call forwarding to US phone numbers (pay to other countries).  

4 of 5 (844 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2011 11:58:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

Dear Stufried, you are such a star! I am really really impressed by your knowledge and kindness, proven by the time and effort you've put down to help me.

Thanks a lot! /Per 

Dear Stufried, you are such a star! I am really really impressed by your knowledge and kindness, proven by the time and effort you've put down to help me.

Thanks a lot! /Per 

5 of 5 (812 Views)