Forced upgrade from 2g phones to 3g w/ letter

Contributor

Forced upgrade from 2g phones to 3g w/ letter

I've heard news reports and indeed people in my family have received letters in the mail from ATT notifying them that their 2g phones will soon be out of date and they are required to upgrade them to newer 3g phones to work on the 3g network.  The letter also indicates that the upgrade is free, but when I called ATT customer support, they had no idea about this.  I went to an ATT store and they were only vaguely familiar with this issue.  Does ANYONE know anything about this? 

I mean, I don't mind upgrading, especially for free, but I can't find anymore information about this.  How does ATT expect to keep it's customers when they give me the runaround just to find information on a promotion THEY'RE running.  I mean, I'm trying to remain a customer but with stunts like this...why should I?

Message 1 of 7
Contributor

Re: Forced upgrade from 2g phones to 3g w/ letter

Update:

I found this article: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/att-urges-customers-to-upgrade-from-2g-networks-2012-03-01

But how does this guy know about this program, and ATT's own customers don't?

And when will I get my letter?  It's completely deplorable that ATT couldn't tell me about this.  In fact, the Customer Service Rep actually asked me to read her parts of the letter so she could become more familar with my issue.  I DIDN'T HAVE THE LETTER TO BEGIN WITH THAT'S WHY I CALLED.

C'mon ATT.  What IS that...

Message 2 of 7
Professor

According to the article, the program is voluntary, not forced, and only a few 2G phones are even affected. Maybe your phone or area isn't affected. If you didn't get a letter, don't worry about it.

If there is a free upgrade, I'm sure there would be restrictions as far as what phone you could upgrade to.

Message 3 of 7
Contributor

I'm actully less worried about the upgrade itself, and more so with the fact that I don't know if I'll get a letter, AND that ATT wasn't aware of this going on.

Message 4 of 7
Master

bluestriper22 wrote:

I'm actully less worried about the upgrade itself, and more so with the fact that I don't know if I'll get a letter, AND that ATT wasn't aware of this going on.

The press often gets tips before employees do.  This is true for most companies that have customer service departments.  They have so much to keep track of that it can be hard to keep up with.

ATT knew about it you just got some reps who had not yet read everthing they should have.....

As there are no immediate timeframe to eliminate 2G, you have some time but the writing is on the wall that ATT needs that spectrum for future growth and over time, they will make 2G harder to stay on in support of 3G and 4G technologies.  This happened with Analog and in a few years will happen with 3G too.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 5 of 7
Contributor

I appreciate the info, thanks.

Just frustrating that when I called two different people had no idea what was going on.  That's why I'm switching.

Anyway, thanks again.

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Forced upgrade from G phones to G w/ letter

Today I spent more than 2 hours trying to get information to upgrade my two exact same 2G phones used under the same account.  I actually got a letter but it only applied to one of the phone numbers. Logically if one phone will become obsolete on May 15, so would the other.  I went to the ATT Store and they could only upgrade the specified phone.  The salesperson tried to help and contacted Customer Service and I spent a half an hour on the phone with someone who kept repeating the same information - the non-specified number could only be upgraded with a discount if I sign up for a new contract.  He supposedly kept checking with a "supervisor" who kept repeating the same information.  I felt as if it was just a scam to force me to sign a new contract.  I then contacted a friend who is in the same position as I am - two 2G phones under one account (we both got our original phones at the same time a few years back) with the intention of preparing her for what she would encounter.  My friend actually received TWO letters - one for each phone # -- she got the original letters in February and then received reminder letters last week - two letters; one for each phone.   So I called ATT Customer Service again and got the same run around with the same non-result.  Then they said I needed to speak to the FlipSwap division and transferred me to that number -- of course this division only deals with problems on phones that have already been switched.  I then called ATT again and instead of going to customer service I selected the "upgrade phone" option on the menu and spoke with a person who at least understood the situation - but did not know why I did not get the second letter.   She directed me to the Direct Mail / Direct Response Department and thought they would be able to help.  The person I spoke with in this department was very apologetic and knew exactly what I was talking about but still could not do anything to make sure my second letter would be sent.  He suggested I wait to see if I receive the second letter.  Not one person in the AT&T system knows what department generates these letters.  This is the most ridiculous company.  If I don't get the second letter in the next two weeks, I'll walk across the street and sign up with Verizon !!! 

Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support