Forced from Verizon to AT&T by merger.

Scholar

Forced from Verizon to AT&T by merger.

OK, Hi everyone, this is my first post.  My name is Belome and I live in Mid-MI.

First off, I want to say that I am in the process of being transitioned from Verizon to AT&T forcibly.  I have no say in the matter, actually, nobody does except the FCC.

With that said.  AT&T is kind enough to offer me a 'comparable' phone for all three of my current Verizon accounts.

I have several complaints.

1)  I'm in the dark.  They can't tell me anything about plans, features, pricing... anything.  They just say at this time everything will stay the same.  Well, by staying the same I can no longer call and text other Verizon customers for free.  That is 75% of my current minutes.  If I lost this feature, my current plan would not be sufficient.

2)  Their comparable phone is not comparable in my eyes.  I currently have a Driod 2, the top of the line Verizon Andriod phone.  They are offering me for free as a comparable phone the HTC Aria.  If anyone here thinks this is a fair 'compatible' phone please speak up... because in my mind it isn't.

At this point, I'd be willing to at least try AT&T and their service for thier 30 day trial period... but not with an inferior phone.  Of course, nobody at AT&T is willing too (or well enough versed) to even listen to me over the phone.  All they can say is pick out the phone you want and you will be good to go.

Not with an HTC Aria I won't.

Message 1 of 124 (2,616 Views)
Master

Re: Forced from Verizon to AT&T by merger.

[ Edited ]
@UNSC_REACH
Really? Then why do I have two letters at home that say my Verizon service is transitioning to AT&T? With one of them saying I have to pick a free phone before January 7, 2010 to avoid any service interuptions.

And this website? Is that fake too?
www.att.com/mergers/divestverizon/
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 61 of 124 (913 Views)
Professor

Ann, I dont think you understood me.

All I said was that its not only Verizon that is migrating, also Alltel and Unicel as well. Different cell companies in different parts of the country. I know its for real, I never said it was fake.

Message 62 of 124 (905 Views)
Master

Okay maybe I read that wrong. I think my brain saw AT&T/Alltel/Unicel. To many distractions around me.
Message 63 of 124 (898 Views)
Professor

Its okay, just wanted to make sure everything was good Smiley Happy

Message 64 of 124 (895 Views)
Master

It probably doesn't help that I'm very much a skeptic with the whole thing. I have gotten past the "I have to change carriers.", but I just can't believe that the network will be there. Currently I can get 3g in a pretty remote area of my state. This area happens to also be in the divested market heading to AT&T. The 3g signal is a weak one, but it is usually reliable and rarely drops to a 2g signal (1x-CDMA). I had my nook up in that area a few months back and got nothing. I didn't expect to see any signal. When the towers conversions are completed, I want and expect to to at least see network quality I get now with Verizon. Otherwise I will be a very unhappy customer.
Message 65 of 124 (886 Views)
Scholar

I'm curious to see what happens in my area.

Alltel owns the towers.  Verizon was always roaming on them.

Verizon is going to AT&T in my area.

Alltel is going to Verizon, once the Verizon to AT&T is done.

So... who has the rights to the towers?  Heck if I know.

Message 66 of 124 (875 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

Nope, I believe you are incorrect.  From the FAQ:

Q: If I choose not to move to AT&T, will I have to pay an early termination fee (ETF)?
A: For now, the terms and conditions of your current service agreement remain the same, including any associated early termination fee (ETF). If, after moving to AT&T service, you choose to discontinue that service, you will have a 30-day period to opt out of your contract without an ETF. After that 30-day period, standard AT&T terms apply.

So it sounds like whatever kind of contract you were under prior to the merger/divesiture will be in effect.  You have the initial 30 days to opt out of AT&T; as I'm reading it, if you don't opt out you then resume the remainder of your contract (current service agreement) with AT&T.

belome wrote:

I am coming from Verizon... other parts of the country are coming from Alltel.  It just sorta depends on where you live.

I haven't seen a concrete answer to what happens after 30 days.  Most specualte that the original Verizon/Alltel contract date will carry over... but the literatue I have says, "No additional contract term with AT&T is required when you select a FREE phone."

That sure sounds like to me you become a month to month customer.  If that truly is the case, I may try to hang onto AT&T and then re-up when the new Motorola driod phone comes out in Q1 of 2011.

Message 67 of 124 (871 Views)
Scholar

I agree that is probably what will happen... but it just appears to me the two sources cited (that both came from AT&T) are pretty much saying the exact opposite thing.

I just hope they can clear up all the grey areas before Jan 7th.  I hate being an uninformed customer.

And to be honestly, if they DO force me to commit to my current contract date it would be STUPID for me to not cancel outright and start a new service with whatever provider I decide on.  [Yeah, I'd end up with a few month more commitment, but I could get the phones I want at the new customer prices.]

I guess the only reason I may want to stay and finish out my contract with AT&T is because I currently have unlmited data with Verizon and I'm assuming it would continue.

Message 68 of 124 (866 Views)
Voyager

Wow.. nice to find this thread. It's so tough to find much information on this situation for those of us stuck in the middle.  For me it's a case of:

1. Both Alltel and AT&T sell service in my area and have ever since I moved here 8 years ago.

2. Upon hearing of the transition from Alltel to Verizon, when I signed up for service 4 months ago I went straight to Verizon.  They let me sign up with my proper address and everything so I thought I was all set.

3. At that time just 4 months ago, I paid $199 (plus some with taxes) for a Droid X and 2 year contract.

4. Verizon has pretty good 3g coverage in my home area, AT&T has slightly better coverage but no 3g at all.

5. Verizon has 3g coverage in a few key areas I often travel to in the state. Again, no 3g for AT&T in those areas.

And I should note that I had AT&T service before signing up for Verizon, so I know exactly what kind of real coverage and service AT&T currently has in my areas of need.

Here's my confusing thoughts:

1. I'm not being offered a comparable phone to a Droid X, which should be something like a Captivate. However, I see on Amazon.com that you can sign up with AT&T and get a Captivate for free (well.. $0.01).   http://wireless.amazon.com/dp/B003TLMQG8

2. Is AT&T going to have full 3g coverage in my area by the transition date?  Otherwise their service is useless to me.

3. Why the heck am I being forced to transition when I signed up with Verizon because they are the only service provider in my area that meets my needs?  I assume that I can cancel AT&T during the 30 day period and then sign back up with Verizon assuming the Alltel->Verizon transition has completed by then. After all, the only two service providers in the area will be Verizon and AT&T.

4. AT&T already existed in the area and is a completely different cellular service than Alltel.  How is Verizon's acquistition of Alltel causing any competitive disadvantage to AT&T who already has their own towers in the area?

Don't get me wrong.. there are some advantages to AT&T's network (like voice calls not shutting off data transfer like happens on Verizon's network) and their 3g is faster, but AT&T is years behind in my area in terms of 3g coverage.  And the Capitivate phone is decent though overall I don't think I'll like it better than my Droid X. I'm just confused on what exactly my options are.  For now I'm just sitting back making sure I don't accidentally agree to any terms of any form.

Message 69 of 124 (849 Views)
Scholar

Welcome to the grey area.

Sounds like you have a very good handle on the situation.

Get the free phone (I'm sure you could push for a Captivate, the same way I did), wait 29 days and hope Verizon will be available again in your area, port the number out and send the phone back to AT&T... then you are free and clear of any contracts.  You can go month to month with Verizon or get a backup Droid X.

I highly doubt they are actually expanding any of their coverage, at least in my area.  Heck, Alltel owns the towers in my area and they are moving to Verizon.

The only thing that is making me think AT&T could be the answer is that they are realesing the Motorola Olympus... which looks to be just as good or better than our droids.  Google it if your not familiar with it.

Message 70 of 124 (840 Views)
Master

belome wrote:

Welcome to the grey area.

Sounds like you have a very good handle on the situation.

Get the free phone (I'm sure you could push for a Captivate, the same way I did), wait 29 days and hope Verizon will be available again in your area, port the number out and send the phone back to AT&T... then you are free and clear of any contracts.  You can go month to month with Verizon or get a backup Droid X.

I highly doubt they are actually expanding any of their coverage, at least in my area.  Heck, Alltel owns the towers in my area and they are moving to Verizon.

The only thing that is making me think AT&T could be the answer is that they are realesing the Motorola Olympus... which looks to be just as good or better than our droids.  Google it if your not familiar with it.

It alllllll depends on where you live. That's pretty much key.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 71 of 124 (920 Views)
Tutor

Let me first tell you that my phone is very important to me, as I use it for my business, taking pictures of what I do, and posting them on different web sites, and for internet access and to contact customers etc....

I was informed of this a few months back, and immediately tried to get my name off of this list. I contacted the FCC to no avail, and my company(Verizon) said it was out of their control.

I had just signed a two year agreement with Verizon, upgraded to the Droid X and was happy.

Now I am forced to switch to a company my family and customers tell me sucks?

To top it off, I am offered a list of phones that aren't even what I already have, nothing is said about the bill other then "It won't change" and I am supposed to be happy?

I contacted At&t and spoke to many different people. I expressed my concerns to no satisfaction whatsoever. I didn't ask for much, I wanted a comparable phone or better, and to replace what accesories I had to work with the new device. I offerered to send them my curranty device and acessories but was refused.

On the day of the switch over, I'd of expected a call with instruction, but Nope nothing. Then after a customer stopped by to tell me he had been trying to reach me for hours, was when I learned that my phone wasn't operating!

So now in the middle of my busy workday, with customers coming in , I was supposed to call At&t and try to get this resolved? My internet was through my Droid X, so I wasn't able to look up parts so my business was at a stand still .

I was told by At&t that I would have to go to a local store to have my numbers and other files transferred to thier device.

That wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to drive 45 miles on way to do so! No reimbursment for this either!

The Captivate they sent me repeatedly shut off when I wasn't using it, so I again missed calls! Full battery!!

Needless to say, At&t struck out SO many times with this. If they would have at least offered my a device the same or even better then what I had at no charge, or even MAYBE a months free service or SOMETHING to make me WANT TO BE AN AT&T CUSTOMER, I would have been less upset and considered them.

I took the drive Saturday, my time, my gas, my vehicle and switched to Sprint! AT&T you can kiss my A**!!  And it's your own fault! You had better get some decent devices and learn customer service !

Message 72 of 124 (837 Views)
Scholar

You do realize there was a good chance you could have gone back to Verizon right?

I coudn't because my number was blacklisted, but others have been able to.

Message 73 of 124 (826 Views)
Master

I too was forced to AT&T. After testing the network for three weeks, I went back to Verizon. I was lucky enough to keep my number. My parents weren't so lucky, but they didn't really care about their numbers and got new ones at Verizon.
Message 74 of 124 (822 Views)
Tutor

No I couldn't go back to Verizon, I tried and was told no. I have heard of others switching back, but now am told that they will do everything in their power to keep you from comming back?

Message 75 of 124 (830 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.