Forced from Verizon to AT&T by merger.

Scholar

Forced from Verizon to AT&T by merger.

OK, Hi everyone, this is my first post.  My name is Belome and I live in Mid-MI.

First off, I want to say that I am in the process of being transitioned from Verizon to AT&T forcibly.  I have no say in the matter, actually, nobody does except the FCC.

With that said.  AT&T is kind enough to offer me a 'comparable' phone for all three of my current Verizon accounts.

I have several complaints.

1)  I'm in the dark.  They can't tell me anything about plans, features, pricing... anything.  They just say at this time everything will stay the same.  Well, by staying the same I can no longer call and text other Verizon customers for free.  That is 75% of my current minutes.  If I lost this feature, my current plan would not be sufficient.

2)  Their comparable phone is not comparable in my eyes.  I currently have a Driod 2, the top of the line Verizon Andriod phone.  They are offering me for free as a comparable phone the HTC Aria.  If anyone here thinks this is a fair 'compatible' phone please speak up... because in my mind it isn't.

At this point, I'd be willing to at least try AT&T and their service for thier 30 day trial period... but not with an inferior phone.  Of course, nobody at AT&T is willing too (or well enough versed) to even listen to me over the phone.  All they can say is pick out the phone you want and you will be good to go.

Not with an HTC Aria I won't.

Message 1 of 124
Scholar

Re: Forced from Verizon to AT&T by merger.

I guess that is a legitmate concern.

I'm sure the true 'answer' lies in the difference in phone costs, which neither of us really know.

I do know that 40 some people affected have the Driod 2's.  (he said 42 or 47 I can't remember)  So if the difference in price was $100 it would take about 5 customers to keep the phone for a year to make make up for it.  Seems like a fair bet.

Message 46 of 124
Guru

belome wrote:

I'm sure the true 'answer' lies in the difference in phone costs, which neither of us really know.

I do know that 40 some people affected have the Driod 2's.  (he said 42 or 47 I can't remember)  So if the difference in price was $100 it would take about 5 customers to keep the phone for a year to make make up for it.  Seems like a fair bet.

Yes, that's why I said it was a hypothetical situation, we'll just have to wait until AT&T gives you and the other Droid 2 users a definite answer of how they will manage the Captivate "giveaway".

Oh, and sorry for the thousands, it was just a random number I though at the moment.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 47 of 124
Guru

Ann154 wrote:
@Virtual
Please read the FAQs and pose your hypothetical situation again.

www.att.com/mergers/divestverizon/frequently-asked-questions.jsp

And what you're trying to tell me is...

I'm not a mind-reader, explain yourself, please. Smiley Tongue

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 48 of 124
Expert

belome wrote:

Would suggest that you read each and every line on the terms of service page before you say I agree and either physically or digitally sign it. This remonds me greatly of TANSTAAFL - there ain;t no such thing as a free lunch. If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

Message 49 of 124
Scholar

At any rate, I'm sure that is/was a big concern for them... even for the non-high end phones.

Honestly, I think I'm setteling with the Captivate, a more accurate comparable phone would be the iPhone, but I knew arguing that point would fall on deaf ears.

We will see how it all shakes out.  After they bent over for me, I feel as though I have to at least give the network a fair shake... and I will.

Message 50 of 124
Guru

belome wrote:

a more accurate comparable phone would be the iPhone, but I knew arguing that point would fall on deaf ears.

Exactly. Asking for the iPhone instead of the Captivate is completely impossible.

Good luck with your request, keep us informed.

Message 51 of 124
Former Employee

From the FAQ: "If, after moving to AT&T service, you choose to discontinue that service, you will have a 30-day period to opt out of your contract without an ETF. After that 30-day period, standard AT&T terms apply."

This, to me, looks like if someone keeps a phone after 30 days, and then cancels, they will have to pay a standard ETF, which means that there is, in fact, a 2 year contract.

Captivate is actually better than the iPhone IMO. I think Captivate is the best phone AT&T has at this time.

Message 52 of 124
Guru

If I'm correct it's supposed that, when a customer is transferred to AT&T due to the merger, he keeps the same contract he had with the old company.

For example, a customer that only has 6 months left with his contract and is transferred to AT&T keeps the same contract he had with the old company, so if he wants to cancel he will have to pay the ETF depending on how many months the customer has been with his current contract.

But if the customer wants to change his rate plan to an AT&T plan or if he wants to upgrade his equipment then he/she would need to commit to the 2-year contract.

The options that are given to the OP and to the customers coming from the companies merging with AT&T are free and contract-less just because AT&T has the responsibility of giving the customers a phone compatible with its network. If a customer asks for a better device then he must accept the 2-year contract extension and the price available at the moment. At least the OP was offered the Captivate free because AT&T understood that he had a high-end Android device and needed something comparable to the device he actually had, but that doesn't mean that this option will be contract-less too.

It was already said some posts ago: It's too good to be true.

Message 53 of 124
Scholar

< but that doesn't mean that this option will be contract-less too. >

Yeah, and of course, at this time anybody you talk to at ATT has no idea.  You can ask five people and get five different answers.

Hopefully it gets sorted out at some point.

Message 54 of 124
Guru

belome wrote:

< but that doesn't mean that this option will be contract-less too. >

Yeah, and of course, at this time anybody you talk to at ATT has no idea.  You can ask five people and get five different answers.

Hopefully it gets sorted out at some point.

This is because we can call yours a "special case", something that wasn't contemplated during the merger plans, that's why you may receive different answers until you get a definite response.

And the merger training just started this week so expect many unknowledgeable agents that may still don't know how to attend your current situation. Let's just hope for the best and wait for an answer to your issue as soon as possible.

Message 55 of 124
Master

Except you will have to decide WITHIN 30 days, not AFTER 30 days, if you want the service.  On Day 31 whatever ETF you had with Alltel kicks in.

belome wrote:

Well, we can certianly disagree on this.

AT&T just changed me from a 'not a chance in heck I am using your service for even a day.'

to

I will give your service a fair shake and after 30 days if the network doesn't live up to my potentional you get the phone back and can sell it as refurbed.

If their network works for me, then they will make thousands of dollars off me in the next few years.

It appears that if I keep the service beyond thirty days, I will be bound to about a 20 month contract, which is what I would have with Verizon.

Tell me why this is bad for them again?

Message 56 of 124
Scholar

Droidrulez wrote:

My problem with the whole thing is the consumer isn't given a choice.  The majority of the people just bought brand new phones.  Now those phones are useless and AT&T is offering something that is very inferior to what they have now.  I imagine the people in those markets would have had AT&Tif they had wanted them, obviously they didn't for whatever reason.

Why AT&T would want to force people to use their service, is beyond me.  It certainly isn't giving them a good name. 

$$$$$$$

Message 57 of 124
Master

Hmm... I thought belome was coming from Verizon not Alltel. There are other customers in different areas of the country that are being transitioned from Alltel into AT&T.

BrianfromNO wrote:

Except you will have to decide WITHIN 30 days, not AFTER 30 days, if you want the service.  On Day 31 whatever ETF you had with Alltel kicks in.

belome wrote:

Well, we can certianly disagree on this.

AT&T just changed me from a 'not a chance in heck I am using your service for even a day.'

to

I will give your service a fair shake and after 30 days if the network doesn't live up to my potentional you get the phone back and can sell it as refurbed.

If their network works for me, then they will make thousands of dollars off me in the next few years.

It appears that if I keep the service beyond thirty days, I will be bound to about a 20 month contract, which is what I would have with Verizon.

Tell me why this is bad for them again?

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 58 of 124
Scholar

I am coming from Verizon... other parts of the country are coming from Alltel.  It just sorta depends on where you live.

I haven't seen a concrete answer to what happens after 30 days.  Most specualte that the original Verizon/Alltel contract date will carry over... but the literatue I have says, "No additional contract term with AT&T is required when you select a FREE phone."

That sure sounds like to me you become a month to month customer.  If that truly is the case, I may try to hang onto AT&T and then re-up when the new Motorola driod phone comes out in Q1 of 2011.

Message 59 of 124
Professor

The merger actually consists of 3 companies: Verizon/Alltel/Unicel. Just in case the question comes up again.

Message 60 of 124
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support