Posted Oct 27, 2010
11:20:38 AM
View profile
Forced from Verizon to AT&T by merger.

OK, Hi everyone, this is my first post.  My name is Belome and I live in Mid-MI.

First off, I want to say that I am in the process of being transitioned from Verizon to AT&T forcibly.  I have no say in the matter, actually, nobody does except the FCC.

With that said.  AT&T is kind enough to offer me a 'comparable' phone for all three of my current Verizon accounts.

I have several complaints.

1)  I'm in the dark.  They can't tell me anything about plans, features, pricing... anything.  They just say at this time everything will stay the same.  Well, by staying the same I can no longer call and text other Verizon customers for free.  That is 75% of my current minutes.  If I lost this feature, my current plan would not be sufficient.

2)  Their comparable phone is not comparable in my eyes.  I currently have a Driod 2, the top of the line Verizon Andriod phone.  They are offering me for free as a comparable phone the HTC Aria.  If anyone here thinks this is a fair 'compatible' phone please speak up... because in my mind it isn't.

At this point, I'd be willing to at least try AT&T and their service for thier 30 day trial period... but not with an inferior phone.  Of course, nobody at AT&T is willing too (or well enough versed) to even listen to me over the phone.  All they can say is pick out the phone you want and you will be good to go.

Not with an HTC Aria I won't.

123 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(123)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2011 5:00:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

I 'm loving it ATT sucks and I'm going to straight talk ATT can throw their company in a ditch as far as I care!

I 'm loving it ATT sucks and I'm going to straight talk ATT can throw their company in a ditch as far as I care!

Re: Forced from Verizon to AT&T by merger.

91 of 124 (356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2011 5:02:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

I need to know how to email the president at ATT!

I need to know how to email the president at ATT!

92 of 124 (356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2011 7:23:36 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by pamelaz on May 21, 2011 at 11:54:32 AM

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Just google what you are looking for its... its easily obtained on the internet.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Just google what you are looking for its... its easily obtained on the internet.

[ Edited ]
93 of 124 (338 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2011 7:32:19 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on May 21, 2011 at 7:37:44 AM

I originally posted a link i used once before thats provided by att but realized the poster here may not even be a customer.  I dont want to add to the issue. .   removed the post..

I originally posted a link i used once before thats provided by att but realized the poster here may not even be a customer.  I dont want to add to the issue. .   removed the post..

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

[ Edited ]
94 of 124 (302 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2011 11:47:56 AM
(0)
Professor

I just have to repeat this again, and I have read it a few times in this thread.

AT&T is not, I repeat, NOT forcing you to use AT&T. Your friendly GOVERNMENT (FCC) is. AT&T is not forcing this merger, the FCC is FORCING the merger!!!!!

OK? Now you have a target for your frustrations, the FCC. AT&T just happens to be the corporation that the FCC decided to force the merger on, so you are offered what that corporation deems compatible equipment. Don't like the equipment or coverage??? NEXTEL.

Thank you, now move along, there's nothing to see here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

I just have to repeat this again, and I have read it a few times in this thread.

AT&T is not, I repeat, NOT forcing you to use AT&T. Your friendly GOVERNMENT (FCC) is. AT&T is not forcing this merger, the FCC is FORCING the merger!!!!!

OK? Now you have a target for your frustrations, the FCC. AT&T just happens to be the corporation that the FCC decided to force the merger on, so you are offered what that corporation deems compatible equipment. Don't like the equipment or coverage??? NEXTEL.

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

95 of 124 (289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2011 12:00:09 PM
(0)
Professor
Them be'z some strong words, GR, but true. And I also think this exact conversation does exist in another discussion
Them be'z some strong words, GR, but true. And I also think this exact conversation does exist in another discussion

96 of 124 (280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2011 12:02:49 PM
(0)
Professor
Att did have to agree to purchase the customer accounts and towers from Verizon. It easily could have been US Cellular, T-Mobile, etc as the purchaser.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :smileyhappy:
Att did have to agree to purchase the customer accounts and towers from Verizon. It easily could have been US Cellular, T-Mobile, etc as the purchaser.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

97 of 124 (280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2011 12:06:13 AM
(0)
Mentor

ghostryder wrote:

Holdup there sparky,.....the FCC DID NOT force AT&T to give the OP an obviously horrible offer of replacement. Justify that. Before we "move along". Your points made trying to justify AT&Ts actions,are moot.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning,You dont try to justify others wrongdoings!

ghostryder wrote:

Holdup there sparky,.....the FCC DID NOT force AT&T to give the OP an obviously horrible offer of replacement. Justify that. Before we "move along". Your points made trying to justify AT&Ts actions,are moot.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning,You dont try to justify others wrongdoings!

98 of 124 (267 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2011 12:39:28 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Zombiehunter on May 22, 2011 at 12:39:56 AM

Yup, this is your opinion, just like that was mine...sparky

~~~Seth Mendenhall

Yup, this is your opinion, just like that was mine...sparky

~~~Seth Mendenhall

[ Edited ]
99 of 124 (265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2011 5:47:34 AM
(0)
Scholar

ATT could have easily won my loyalty from the get go had they not offered such horrendous equipment as 'comparable' equipment.  [Their original offer was an HTC Aria, which was a huge slap to my face.]  I had to fight just to get a Captiviate to replace my Droid 2 and I hated it.

The FCC didn't force ATT to offer us such cruddy equipment as replacments to our top of the line Android phones.

ATT could have easily won my loyalty from the get go had they not offered such horrendous equipment as 'comparable' equipment.  [Their original offer was an HTC Aria, which was a huge slap to my face.]  I had to fight just to get a Captiviate to replace my Droid 2 and I hated it.

The FCC didn't force ATT to offer us such cruddy equipment as replacments to our top of the line Android phones.

100 of 124 (245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2011 5:57:05 AM
(0)
Professor
Thats one issue that does go with the territory when you are with a new carrie whether willingly switched over or via merger. If the new carrier doesnt support your current device or if the new carrier doesnt have devices as nice or better, then the customer have to work with whats available. Do you have an option to close account without etf due to lack of comparable equipment?
Thats one issue that does go with the territory when you are with a new carrie whether willingly switched over or via merger. If the new carrier doesnt support your current device or if the new carrier doesnt have devices as nice or better, then the customer have to work with whats available. Do you have an option to close account without etf due to lack of comparable equipment?

101 of 124 (260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2011 6:23:54 AM
(0)
Scholar

Yes, I could have quit and I had every intention of doing so and simply going back with Verizon.  However, the FCC also blacklisted my phone number so I couldn't port it back to Verizon.

Ultimately, my number meant more to me than my carrier.  I live in rural America so basically ATT and Verizon were my only two options.  I also bucked up and paid for a Motorola Atrix because I couldn't stand the Captivate.

Yes, I could have quit and I had every intention of doing so and simply going back with Verizon.  However, the FCC also blacklisted my phone number so I couldn't port it back to Verizon.

Ultimately, my number meant more to me than my carrier.  I live in rural America so basically ATT and Verizon were my only two options.  I also bucked up and paid for a Motorola Atrix because I couldn't stand the Captivate.

102 of 124 (259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2011 9:02:32 AM
(0)
Professor
They might have won mine if they had truly similar coverage as their transition website claimed. The coverage I had before under Verizon was completely different and covered a much larger area of the CMA (cellular market area) then what AT&T took over.

I would have never been able to turn my phone into a mobile hotspot this weekend if I was still on AT&T this weekend. There is only AT&T Edge available at the location where I was able to use Verizon's 3G network and create a mobile hotspot with my current Verizon phone. This location was within the boundary of the same CMA that was supposedly transitioned from Verizon to AT&T.
They might have won mine if they had truly similar coverage as their transition website claimed. The coverage I had before under Verizon was completely different and covered a much larger area of the CMA (cellular market area) then what AT&T took over.

I would have never been able to turn my phone into a mobile hotspot this weekend if I was still on AT&T this weekend. There is only AT&T Edge available at the location where I was able to use Verizon's 3G network and create a mobile hotspot with my current Verizon phone. This location was within the boundary of the same CMA that was supposedly transitioned from Verizon to AT&T.

103 of 124 (257 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2011 9:10:22 AM
(0)
Professor
Ann(droid154), what was the basis of your transition again? Was it due to att acquiring towers or part of an alltel deal? I cant remember. Not fun when its out of your control to be bought out and new service is worse than your original carrier.
Ann(droid154), what was the basis of your transition again? Was it due to att acquiring towers or part of an alltel deal? I cant remember. Not fun when its out of your control to be bought out and new service is worse than your original carrier.

104 of 124 (253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2011 10:25:38 AM
(0)
Professor
My area and belome's area were Verizon markets that were sold along with many Alltel markets to prevent monopolies during the Verizon/Alltel merger. The Alltel markets in the same area will be transitioned to Verizon once AT&T is done switching the original Verizon portion. Apparently at least for my area, I was hitting more actual Alltel towers then I thought. Even though my phone always said Verizon. The true Verizon area was much smaller.

http://www.cellularmaps.com/alltel_divest.shtml
My area and belome's area were Verizon markets that were sold along with many Alltel markets to prevent monopolies during the Verizon/Alltel merger. The Alltel markets in the same area will be transitioned to Verizon once AT&T is done switching the original Verizon portion. Apparently at least for my area, I was hitting more actual Alltel towers then I thought. Even though my phone always said Verizon. The true Verizon area was much smaller.

http://www.cellularmaps.com/alltel_divest.shtml

105 of 124 (247 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2011 10:48:44 AM
(0)
Professor
How was your transfer back to the "other mom"? Did u habe to go through termination procedures from att?
How was your transfer back to the "other mom"? Did u habe to go through termination procedures from att?

106 of 124 (245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2011 1:20:38 PM
(0)
Professor
Relatively painless. Ported my number back after three weeks at AT&T. The $150 termination fee on the last bill was a bit shocking, but a phone call to CS fixed it post haste. I canceled within the 30 days window and therefore no termination fee allowed. I will tell you one thing. I have called AT&T's CS more times in the last few months then I had called VZW CS in last five years.
Relatively painless. Ported my number back after three weeks at AT&T. The $150 termination fee on the last bill was a bit shocking, but a phone call to CS fixed it post haste. I canceled within the 30 days window and therefore no termination fee allowed. I will tell you one thing. I have called AT&T's CS more times in the last few months then I had called VZW CS in last five years.

107 of 124 (237 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2011 10:07:55 PM
(0)
Mentor

belome wrote:

Like I said...... You are correct Belome. This is stateing fact. NOT opinion.

belome wrote:

Like I said...... You are correct Belome. This is stateing fact. NOT opinion.

108 of 124 (216 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 7:01:29 AM
(0)

still have my pancake phone and no bill. I told ya

still have my pancake phone and no bill. I told ya

109 of 124 (159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 7:08:34 AM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks for the update... although I doubt its over.

Thanks for the update... although I doubt its over.

110 of 124 (156 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 7:12:26 AM
(0)
Professor
Pancake phone?
Pancake phone?

111 of 124 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 7:16:47 AM
(0)
Scholar

He put the phone that ATT sent him in a press (as I recall) and hung it on his wall as a momento instead of sending it back to them.  [I'm sure if you read the last few pages of this thread you will see it all.]

He put the phone that ATT sent him in a press (as I recall) and hung it on his wall as a momento instead of sending it back to them.  [I'm sure if you read the last few pages of this thread you will see it all.]

112 of 124 (215 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 7:24:40 AM
(0)
Professor
Lol, creative recycling.... I am almost afraid too read it, but sounds too good to miss... I will read it :smileywink:
Lol, creative recycling.... I am almost afraid too read it, but sounds too good to miss... I will read it :smileywink:

113 of 124 (212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2011 9:19:27 AM
(0)

You my friend owe me a cold beer!

It's over. Thank God!

Now being with Sprint, so far so good! I like my HTC Evo, it's as good as my DroidX was. AT&T had better get their act together, I have yet to talk to a satisfied AT&T customer.

I have redirected quite a few folks to Sprint, and will continue to do so. Their service is less expensive and just as good as Verizon.

Where AT&T fell short was offering a less then satisfactory device to replace the device I already had, then to add insult offer the same monthly bill along with the chance to pay to upgrade to a device still not as good as what I already had.

They burnt any chances of me wanting anything to do with them as a provider. They showed me what they were about.

You my friend owe me a cold beer!

It's over. Thank God!

Now being with Sprint, so far so good! I like my HTC Evo, it's as good as my DroidX was. AT&T had better get their act together, I have yet to talk to a satisfied AT&T customer.

I have redirected quite a few folks to Sprint, and will continue to do so. Their service is less expensive and just as good as Verizon.

Where AT&T fell short was offering a less then satisfactory device to replace the device I already had, then to add insult offer the same monthly bill along with the chance to pay to upgrade to a device still not as good as what I already had.

They burnt any chances of me wanting anything to do with them as a provider. They showed me what they were about.

Re: Forced from Verizon to AT&T by merger

114 of 124 (192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2011 10:02:02 AM
(0)
Professor
As hot as it is today, lets go for a keg. Something tells me Sprint will be offering sweet deals for awhile that will be more affordable compared to att packages
As hot as it is today, lets go for a keg. Something tells me Sprint will be offering sweet deals for awhile that will be more affordable compared to att packages

115 of 124 (187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2011 12:21:14 PM
(0)
Scholar

I'll buy you a beer... when I know it is officially over.

Check your credit rating lately?

I'll buy you a beer... when I know it is officially over.

Check your credit rating lately?

116 of 124 (176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2011 1:34:48 PM
(0)

How would they affect my credit rating? I have received no bills or anything whatsoever from AT&T. I instructed them to never contact me again in regards to this whole episode. I told them I will dispose of the device and they were to dissolve any type of relationship they thought they had with me. Furthermore, I did not ever want to be solicited from them in the future for ANY reason.
 I had their word that our relationship was over.Legally I have no connection with AT&T as I never signed anything or chose the device they sent me. I refused right from the beginning any contact and they sent me a crappy Captivate without me wanting or telling them to.
 No matter what it says in Verizon's contract that contract is only with them. NO other company can own you without signing an agreement or contract with THAT company. ANYTHING a company sends you is yours as a gift. I assure you I researched the heck out of this before hand. Don't be scared of these companies folks.

As a matter of fact I did check me rating a bit over a week ago as I am refinancing a mortgage and I am clean.

How would they affect my credit rating? I have received no bills or anything whatsoever from AT&T. I instructed them to never contact me again in regards to this whole episode. I told them I will dispose of the device and they were to dissolve any type of relationship they thought they had with me. Furthermore, I did not ever want to be solicited from them in the future for ANY reason.
 I had their word that our relationship was over.Legally I have no connection with AT&T as I never signed anything or chose the device they sent me. I refused right from the beginning any contact and they sent me a crappy Captivate without me wanting or telling them to.
 No matter what it says in Verizon's contract that contract is only with them. NO other company can own you without signing an agreement or contract with THAT company. ANYTHING a company sends you is yours as a gift. I assure you I researched the heck out of this before hand. Don't be scared of these companies folks.

As a matter of fact I did check me rating a bit over a week ago as I am refinancing a mortgage and I am clean.

117 of 124 (167 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2011 2:46:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

That's seriously awesome!  Congratulations!

That's seriously awesome!  Congratulations!

118 of 124 (158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2011 3:16:21 PM
(0)
Professor
I don't miss the Aria or the AT&T network one bit.

Happily enjoying Verizon 3G (this year to be 4G LTE), my original phone number, and a 4.3" android phone with Thunder. :smileywink:

Happily enjoying Verizon 3G (this year to be 4G LTE), my original phone number, and a 4.3" android phone with Thunder. :smileywink:

119 of 124 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2011 3:29:32 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Jun 15, 2011 at 3:30:33 PM

Ann154 wrote:

<sniffle, sniffle...... i'm beginning to feel like "Phil The Sonic Vampire".....

crybaby.jpg

Ann154 wrote:

<sniffle, sniffle...... i'm beginning to feel like "Phil The Sonic Vampire".....

crybaby.jpg

[ Edited ]
120 of 124 (146 Views)