Ask a question

Posted Oct 27, 2010
    11:20:38 AM
    View profile
    Forced from Verizon to AT&T by merger.

OK, Hi everyone, this is my first post.  My name is Belome and I live in Mid-MI.

First off, I want to say that I am in the process of being transitioned from Verizon to AT&T forcibly.  I have no say in the matter, actually, nobody does except the FCC.

With that said.  AT&T is kind enough to offer me a 'comparable' phone for all three of my current Verizon accounts.

I have several complaints.

1)  I'm in the dark.  They can't tell me anything about plans, features, pricing... anything.  They just say at this time everything will stay the same.  Well, by staying the same I can no longer call and text other Verizon customers for free.  That is 75% of my current minutes.  If I lost this feature, my current plan would not be sufficient.

2)  Their comparable phone is not comparable in my eyes.  I currently have a Driod 2, the top of the line Verizon Andriod phone.  They are offering me for free as a comparable phone the HTC Aria.  If anyone here thinks this is a fair 'compatible' phone please speak up... because in my mind it isn't.

At this point, I'd be willing to at least try AT&T and their service for thier 30 day trial period... but not with an inferior phone.  Of course, nobody at AT&T is willing too (or well enough versed) to even listen to me over the phone.  All they can say is pick out the phone you want and you will be good to go.

Not with an HTC Aria I won't.

123 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (123)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 28, 2010 9:17:47 PM
    (0)
    Master

1) I'm not sure why your AT&T plan would be any different than any other AT&T plan, which are all listed on AT&T's web site.  And AT&T does have the A-List on selected individual & family plans, which allows for free calling to a defined list of numbers (5 on ind. plans, 10 on family plans).  That doesn't cover texting, but an unlimited messaging plan for $30 covers all your texting for all your lines to any network.

2) They're offering you free phones.  AT&T doesn't have a great Android lineup.  Honestly, they're not required to offer you their highest-end phone free.

belome wrote:

OK, Hi everyone, this is my first post.  My name is Belome and I live in Mid-MI.

First off, I want to say that I am in the process of being transitioned from Verizon to AT&T forcibly.  I have no say in the matter, actually, nobody does except the FCC.

With that said.  AT&T is kind enough to offer me a 'comparable' phone for all three of my current Verizon accounts.

I have several complaints.

1)  I'm in the dark.  They can't tell me anything about plans, features, pricing... anything.  They just say at this time everything will stay the same.  Well, by staying the same I can no longer call and text other Verizon customers for free.  That is 75% of my current minutes.  If I lost this feature, my current plan would not be sufficient.

2)  Their comparable phone is not comparable in my eyes.  I currently have a Driod 2, the top of the line Verizon Andriod phone.  They are offering me for free as a comparable phone the HTC Aria.  If anyone here thinks this is a fair 'compatible' phone please speak up... because in my mind it isn't.

At this point, I'd be willing to at least try AT&T and their service for thier 30 day trial period... but not with an inferior phone.  Of course, nobody at AT&T is willing too (or well enough versed) to even listen to me over the phone.  All they can say is pick out the phone you want and you will be good to go.

Not with an HTC Aria I won't.

Re: Forced from Verizon to AT&T by merger.

31 of 124 (328 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 28, 2010 10:39:38 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

BrianfromNO wrote:

1) I'm not sure why your AT&T plan would be any different than any other AT&T plan, which are all listed on AT&T's web site.  And AT&T does have the A-List on selected individual & family plans, which allows for free calling to a defined list of numbers (5 on ind. plans, 10 on family plans).  That doesn't cover texting, but an unlimited messaging plan for $30 covers all your texting for all your lines to any network.

2) They're offering you free phones.  AT&T doesn't have a great Android lineup.  Honestly, they're not required to offer you their highest-end phone free.

Wow, that's harsh.  He just spent $200 getting a brand new phone and now because of some stupid FCC garbage, he is now supposed to be happy with some low end phone?  Would YOU be happy with having to pay another $200 on top of what you already spent to keep your phone 6 months later?  These customers are upset about being forced to a carrier they didn't want in the first place.  They didn't ask to switch. AT&T should be bending over backwards to make these people happy so they will want to stay.  Otherwise, they've spent a whole lot of money buying these contracts to see them jump right back to where they came from.

32 of 124 (324 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 4:07:45 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

< Honestly, they're not required to offer you their highest-end phone free.>

Your right Brian, they can give me any old phone they want... of course, if they want to keep me as a customer it really isn't in their best interest to dothat.  That is all I'm trying to tell them.  If they want to be stingy with what they consider a 'comparable' phone I just won't be their customer.

Seems simple enough.  I can take my $150 a month back to Verizon.  I'm sure they appreciate me as a customer.

33 of 124 (319 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 5:48:33 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

OK, I know AT&T is going to send me free phones and I have 30 days to return the phones and end my obligation with AT&T.  However, what happens if I stay with them longer than 30 days?  From what I understand I'm under no contract with them and become a month to month customer correct?

I guess my point is, if I cancel within 30 days I need to send their free phones back... if I keep them 31 days and cancel, the phones are going to be free for me to keep?  Maybe thats why they are being so lame about sending me a truly 'comparable' phone to my Droid 2.

One more question about transition.

34 of 124 (313 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 6:54:13 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    I think the way I read it is if you are currently under a contract with Verizon like me (ending Nov. 2011) and to go past the 30 days with the At&t phone, you have to finish out the contract with the att phone to the contract date. If you cancel after the 30 days, your ETF will apply.
    It was somewhere on the transition website.
    Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
    Posted by a mobile device.

35 of 124 (302 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 6:55:16 AM
    (0)
    Master

Life's harsh.  What do you want me to say?  The OP should sell his Verizon phones to recoup some of his investment, instead of whining because AT&T won't give him a top-of-the-line phone for free.  At this point, I'm not even clear that the OP can go back to Verizon.  They might be shedding customers because they have to divest towers in the area (wouldn't be the first time).

Droidrulez wrote:

Wow, that's harsh.  He just spent $200 getting a brand new phone and now because of some stupid FCC garbage, he is now supposed to be happy with some low end phone?  Would YOU be happy with having to pay another $200 on top of what you already spent to keep your phone 6 months later?  These customers are upset about being forced to a carrier they didn't want in the first place.  They didn't ask to switch. AT&T should be bending over backwards to make these people happy so they will want to stay.  Otherwise, they've spent a whole lot of money buying these contracts to see them jump right back to where they came from.

36 of 124 (298 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 7:03:07 AM
    (0)
    Master

Will Verizon even be able to accept you back, or are they divesting customers because they have to divest towers in the area?

It really isn't in their best interest to give you a new top-of-the-line phone completely scot-free, especially if you aren't required to sign a contract with them.  Have you asked if they'll give you a Captivate if you sign a two-year agreement?

belome wrote:

< Honestly, they're not required to offer you their highest-end phone free.>

Your right Brian, they can give me any old phone they want... of course, if they want to keep me as a customer it really isn't in their best interest to dothat.  That is all I'm trying to tell them.  If they want to be stingy with what they consider a 'comparable' phone I just won't be their customer.

Seems simple enough.  I can take my $150 a month back to Verizon.  I'm sure they appreciate me as a customer.

37 of 124 (296 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 7:32:31 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

Yes, Verizon will take me back.  My billing address moved from the area that is being divested back to a Verizon market.  But since the merger deal was completed when my billing address was in a trasition area I'm still being forced to be transitioned.

How is that for a raw deal?

Sure, I can sign a new two year contract and pay the cost of the Captivate... or the iPhone or any other phone.

I guess it really depends on what happens after 30 days for me.  If after 30 days I'm month to month I can sort of understand their frugality.  If I'm still under my original Verizon end date, then why not throw me a bone and give me a COMPARABLE phone like they said they would?

You see, the COMPARABLE word was the one they used, not me.  The Aria is NOT COMPARABLE to my phone.  Ask any person that is versed in both AT&T phone and Verizon phones.  [or look back several posts.]  My phone is even better than the Captivate, but at least its closer to what I have.  [as an examply, my D2 can be a wifi-hotspot which I use regularly.]

38 of 124 (288 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 7:33:56 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

I should also add, that in the area that my billing address was, the Alltel people are being transitioned to Verizon AFTER I'm transitioned to AT&T.

39 of 124 (286 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 10:14:06 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

I WON!  Everyone with a Droid 2 is now going to be able to get the Samsung Captivate as a free choice option.  I told him not to forget about the Droid X guys as well.  They are trying to determine 'how' they are going to go about the change... but my letter made a difference!  I'm pretty stoked that I was able to change their corporate policy.

40 of 124 (271 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 10:28:21 AM
    (0)
    Guru

belome wrote:

I WON!  Everyone with a Droid 2 is now going to be able to get the Samsung Captivate as a free choice option.  I told him not to forget about the Droid X guys as well.  They are trying to determine 'how' they are going to go about the change... but my letter made a difference!  I'm pretty stoked that I was able to change their corporate policy.

That's nice, but I think you will have to commit to the 2-year contract because offering a Captivate free without contract sounds ridiculous. No offense.

Anyway, it's good to read that you're given a good solution to replace your Droid 2 taking in consideration that it would be impossible to use it with AT&T.

41 of 124 (262 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 10:33:44 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

Well, we can certianly disagree on this.

AT&T just changed me from a 'not a chance in heck I am using your service for even a day.'

to

I will give your service a fair shake and after 30 days if the network doesn't live up to my potentional you get the phone back and can sell it as refurbed.

If their network works for me, then they will make thousands of dollars off me in the next few years.

It appears that if I keep the service beyond thirty days, I will be bound to about a 20 month contract, which is what I would have with Verizon.

Tell me why this is bad for them again?

42 of 124 (256 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 11:04:42 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    @belome
    I am glad to hear you will get a "true" comparable phone to the Droid 2 without a new contract.

Now to see if the network delivers...

43 of 124 (250 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 11:05:47 AM
    (0)
    Guru
    Edited by Virtual on Oct 29, 2010 at 11:08:08 AM

belome wrote:

AT&T just changed me from a 'not a chance in heck I am using your service for even a day.'

to

I will give your service a fair shake and after 30 days if the network doesn't live up to my potentional you get the phone back and can sell it as refurbed.

If their network works for me, then they will make thousands of dollars off me in the next few years.

It appears that if I keep the service beyond thirty days, I will be bound to about a 20 month contract, which is what I would have with Verizon.

Let's put a hypothetical situation:

Let's say Mr. Customer has exactly the same issue as you, he has a Droid 2 that can't use with AT&T and asks for a phone that is comparable with the phone he currently has.

Let's say he gets a Samsung Captivate completely free without contract.

Let's say he decides to cancel his service after the 30 day trial period. He will only have to pay the month he had the service. No ETF and he will be able to keep the Captivate to resell it at a higher price.

Let's say there are thousands of Mr. Customer like this one that do the same thing. Imagine how much AT&T will lose by giving those Captivate for free without being able to recover all that money because all those Mr. Customer decided to ditch the company just to make an extra profit by taking advantage of that situation.

That's why it's probably that if you get the Captivate for free you will be asked to commit to the 2-year contract, because they need to recover part of the funds they spend when giving you that high-end device for free.

I'm not saying that you may do that, of course not, don't misunderstand me, but believe me that there are a lot of scrubs that will take advantage of this situation if it were to happen.

[ Edited ]
    44 of 124 (246 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 11:12:51 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    @Virtual
    Please read the FAQs and pose your hypothetical situation again.

www.att.com/mergers/divestverizon/frequently-asked-questions.jsp

45 of 124 (236 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 11:21:19 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

I guess that is a legitmate concern.

I'm sure the true 'answer' lies in the difference in phone costs, which neither of us really know.

I do know that 40 some people affected have the Driod 2's.  (he said 42 or 47 I can't remember)  So if the difference in price was $100 it would take about 5 customers to keep the phone for a year to make make up for it.  Seems like a fair bet.

46 of 124 (232 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 11:39:33 AM
    (0)
    Guru

belome wrote:

I'm sure the true 'answer' lies in the difference in phone costs, which neither of us really know.

I do know that 40 some people affected have the Driod 2's.  (he said 42 or 47 I can't remember)  So if the difference in price was $100 it would take about 5 customers to keep the phone for a year to make make up for it.  Seems like a fair bet.

Yes, that's why I said it was a hypothetical situation, we'll just have to wait until AT&T gives you and the other Droid 2 users a definite answer of how they will manage the Captivate "giveaway".

Oh, and sorry for the thousands, it was just a random number I though at the moment.

47 of 124 (221 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 11:40:43 AM
    (0)
    Guru

Ann154 wrote:
    @Virtual
    Please read the FAQs and pose your hypothetical situation again.

www.att.com/mergers/divestverizon/frequently-asked-questions.jsp

And what you're trying to tell me is...

I'm not a mind-reader, explain yourself, please. Smiley Tongue

48 of 124 (221 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 11:42:30 AM
    (0)
    Expert

belome wrote:

Would suggest that you read each and every line on the terms of service page before you say I agree and either physically or digitally sign it. This remonds me greatly of TANSTAAFL - there ain;t no such thing as a free lunch. If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

49 of 124 (216 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 11:48:20 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

At any rate, I'm sure that is/was a big concern for them... even for the non-high end phones.

Honestly, I think I'm setteling with the Captivate, a more accurate comparable phone would be the iPhone, but I knew arguing that point would fall on deaf ears.

We will see how it all shakes out.  After they bent over for me, I feel as though I have to at least give the network a fair shake... and I will.

50 of 124 (214 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 11:57:15 AM
    (0)
    Guru

belome wrote:

a more accurate comparable phone would be the iPhone, but I knew arguing that point would fall on deaf ears.

Exactly. Asking for the iPhone instead of the Captivate is completely impossible.

Good luck with your request, keep us informed.

51 of 124 (303 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 7:54:49 PM
    (0)
    Employee

From the FAQ: "If, after moving to AT&T service, you choose to discontinue that service, you will have a 30-day period to opt out of your contract without an ETF. After that 30-day period, standard AT&T terms apply."

This, to me, looks like if someone keeps a phone after 30 days, and then cancels, they will have to pay a standard ETF, which means that there is, in fact, a 2 year contract.

Captivate is actually better than the iPhone IMO. I think Captivate is the best phone AT&T has at this time.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

52 of 124 (273 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 30, 2010 8:21:31 AM
    (0)
    Guru

If I'm correct it's supposed that, when a customer is transferred to AT&T due to the merger, he keeps the same contract he had with the old company.

For example, a customer that only has 6 months left with his contract and is transferred to AT&T keeps the same contract he had with the old company, so if he wants to cancel he will have to pay the ETF depending on how many months the customer has been with his current contract.

But if the customer wants to change his rate plan to an AT&T plan or if he wants to upgrade his equipment then he/she would need to commit to the 2-year contract.

The options that are given to the OP and to the customers coming from the companies merging with AT&T are free and contract-less just because AT&T has the responsibility of giving the customers a phone compatible with its network. If a customer asks for a better device then he must accept the 2-year contract extension and the price available at the moment. At least the OP was offered the Captivate free because AT&T understood that he had a high-end Android device and needed something comparable to the device he actually had, but that doesn't mean that this option will be contract-less too.

It was already said some posts ago: It's too good to be true.

53 of 124 (261 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 30, 2010 11:49:01 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

< but that doesn't mean that this option will be contract-less too. >

Yeah, and of course, at this time anybody you talk to at ATT has no idea.  You can ask five people and get five different answers.

Hopefully it gets sorted out at some point.

54 of 124 (253 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 30, 2010 12:01:08 PM
    (0)
    Guru

belome wrote:

< but that doesn't mean that this option will be contract-less too. >

Yeah, and of course, at this time anybody you talk to at ATT has no idea.  You can ask five people and get five different answers.

Hopefully it gets sorted out at some point.

This is because we can call yours a "special case", something that wasn't contemplated during the merger plans, that's why you may receive different answers until you get a definite response.

And the merger training just started this week so expect many unknowledgeable agents that may still don't know how to attend your current situation. Let's just hope for the best and wait for an answer to your issue as soon as possible.

55 of 124 (250 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 1, 2010 8:40:55 PM
    (0)
    Master

Except you will have to decide WITHIN 30 days, not AFTER 30 days, if you want the service.  On Day 31 whatever ETF you had with Alltel kicks in.

belome wrote:

to

56 of 124 (222 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 1, 2010 10:52:50 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Edited by retiredarmy on Nov 1, 2010 at 10:53:55 PM

Droidrulez wrote:

My problem with the whole thing is the consumer isn't given a choice.  The majority of the people just bought brand new phones.  Now those phones are useless and AT&T is offering something that is very inferior to what they have now.  I imagine the people in those markets would have had AT&Tif they had wanted them, obviously they didn't for whatever reason.

Why AT&T would want to force people to use their service, is beyond me.  It certainly isn't giving them a good name. 

$$$$$$$

[ Edited ]
    57 of 124 (215 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 2, 2010 3:18:23 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    Hmm... I thought belome was coming from Verizon not Alltel. There are other customers in different areas of the country that are being transitioned from Alltel into AT&T.

BrianfromNO wrote:

Except you will have to decide WITHIN 30 days, not AFTER 30 days, if you want the service.  On Day 31 whatever ETF you had with Alltel kicks in.

belome wrote:

to

58 of 124 (212 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 2, 2010 5:32:12 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

I am coming from Verizon... other parts of the country are coming from Alltel.  It just sorta depends on where you live.

I haven't seen a concrete answer to what happens after 30 days.  Most specualte that the original Verizon/Alltel contract date will carry over... but the literatue I have says, "No additional contract term with AT&T is required when you select a FREE phone."

That sure sounds like to me you become a month to month customer.  If that truly is the case, I may try to hang onto AT&T and then re-up when the new Motorola driod phone comes out in Q1 of 2011.

59 of 124 (206 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 2, 2010 7:22:27 AM
    (0)
    Professor

The merger actually consists of 3 companies: Verizon/Alltel/Unicel. Just in case the question comes up again.

60 of 124 (194 Views)