Helpful Links

Forced from Verizon to AT&T by merger.

Scholar

Forced from Verizon to AT&T by merger.

OK, Hi everyone, this is my first post.  My name is Belome and I live in Mid-MI.

First off, I want to say that I am in the process of being transitioned from Verizon to AT&T forcibly.  I have no say in the matter, actually, nobody does except the FCC.

With that said.  AT&T is kind enough to offer me a 'comparable' phone for all three of my current Verizon accounts.

I have several complaints.

1)  I'm in the dark.  They can't tell me anything about plans, features, pricing... anything.  They just say at this time everything will stay the same.  Well, by staying the same I can no longer call and text other Verizon customers for free.  That is 75% of my current minutes.  If I lost this feature, my current plan would not be sufficient.

2)  Their comparable phone is not comparable in my eyes.  I currently have a Driod 2, the top of the line Verizon Andriod phone.  They are offering me for free as a comparable phone the HTC Aria.  If anyone here thinks this is a fair 'compatible' phone please speak up... because in my mind it isn't.

At this point, I'd be willing to at least try AT&T and their service for thier 30 day trial period... but not with an inferior phone.  Of course, nobody at AT&T is willing too (or well enough versed) to even listen to me over the phone.  All they can say is pick out the phone you want and you will be good to go.

Not with an HTC Aria I won't.

Message 1 of 124
Professor

Re: Forced from Verizon to AT&T by merger.

Here is the comparison from PhoneScoop: http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?id%5B%5D=2804&id%5B%5D=2921&id%5B%5D=&id%5B%5D=&id%5B%5...

In my opinion it doesn't look like they stack up at all. The droid 2 has more battery life, more onboard memory, and a much faster processor.

I heard about ATTs acquisition of Verizon/Alltel/Unicel customers. Life at ATT will be nothing like Verizon (equipment and plans like) but you should give it a try. Do they give you a choice of other equipment?

Message 2 of 124
Master

Give it a try, see if it works out for you. I live in Bay City, MI, and AT&T's coverage is overall fairly decent in my area. Although, sometimes (okay, most of the time) I don't get service in the lower level of my house, but it's not that bad, I suppose...

My question is, though; how/why are you being "forced" to switch carriers, if you're happy with your current one?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 3 of 124
Master

In order to prevent a monopoly in certain markets, the FCC required Verizon to divest themselves of one of the markets, either the Verizon or the Alltel markets. Places like North and South Dakota, Montana had the Alltel market sold to AT&T and Verizon is keeping their existing market. In other places like parts of Michigan, Minnesota, and Nebraska, Verizon decided to keep the Alltel market and sold the existing Verizon market to AT&T. So unless the Verizon customer is out of contract, they have no choice in the matter. Here are some links.

www.att.com/mergers/divestverizon/

www.att.com/mergers/alltel/

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 124
Mentor

My problem with the whole thing is the consumer isn't given a choice.  The majority of the people just bought brand new phones.  Now those phones are useless and AT&T is offering something that is very inferior to what they have now.  I imagine the people in those markets would have had AT&Tif they had wanted them, obviously they didn't for whatever reason.

Why AT&T would want to force people to use their service, is beyond me.  It certainly isn't giving them a good name. 

Message 5 of 124
Expert

Droidrulez wrote:

My problem with the whole thing is the consumer isn't given a choice.  The majority of the people just bought brand new phones.  Now those phones are useless and AT&T is offering something that is very inferior to what they have now.  I imagine the people in those markets would have had AT&Tif they had wanted them, obviously they didn't for whatever reason.

Why AT&T would want to force people to use their service, is beyond me.  It certainly isn't giving them a good name. 

becasue they are paying for everything - equipment, towers, contracts the whole nine yards - and yes you do have a choice, not a free one but there is one available for you. This is no different then any other company acquisition, it happens all the time in the business worl

Message 6 of 124

You do have the option to upgrade to a better AT&T device, with the standard 30 day buyers remorse return period. Granted, when you do this, you are accepting the fact that you will have to switch to an AT&T plan. But, I would still give this a try, since your account is going to be merged anyway. Eventually you will have to switch to an AT&T plan anyway, and this will give you an idea as to how the service is going to be for you. You will have 30 days to cancel with no obligation if the service doesn't work out for you.

As an AT&T employee, the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinion.
Message 7 of 124
Scholar

I just paid a good deal of money for my Droid 2.  If I wanted a better (comparable) phone from AT&T I would again need to pay a good deal of money for a phone.  I guess I could live with that... but I would also be under a 2 year contract with a brand new AT&T plan if I did that.

The big deal about that is it will cost me more money with the AT&T plan.  They are not giving me a chance to have comparable equipment AND keep my existing plan.

Why oh why can't they give me a decent phone to try out for free?  I could live with the Samsung Captive for 30 days, if the network worked well enough for me I'd probably keep them.  The way they are going about it now, I WILL cancel the first day possible and port my number back to Verizon.

Message 8 of 124
Master

Hmm... pay for a new device (that doesn't compare to my current device) costing $99.99 or more with a new voice plan with NO unlimited data when I am less than year into my contract OR try an Free inferior device and keep my current plan with UNLIMITED data for 30 days or less. Not much of a contest. There is a a very big reason I had never considered your network in the last ten years plus of having a cell phone. The network doesn't cover where I need it! I will be doing a lot of traveling in those thirty days. If there is even one dropped called or unavailable 3g connection where I have it now, the AT&T device will be returned.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 124

Ann154 wrote:
Hmm... pay for a new device (that doesn't compare to my current device) costing $99.99 or more with a new voice plan with NO unlimited data when I am less than year into my contract OR try an Free inferior device and keep my current plan with UNLIMITED data for 30 days or less. Not much of a contest. There is a a very big reason I had never considered your network in the last ten years plus of having a cell phone. The network doesn't cover where I need it! I will be doing a lot of traveling in those thirty days. If there is even one dropped called or unavailable 3g connection where I have it now, the AT&T device will be returned.

You do always have the option to return the device to AT&T and cancel. Have you had AT&T in the past?

As an AT&T employee, the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinion.
Message 10 of 124

To the OP. Honestly, after reviewing both your current Droid 2, and the HTC, I have to say, those two devices definitely do not compare at all. I compared every spec, specifically looking for an advantage with the ARIA, and, as sad as I am to say, they simply do not compare. Im very sorry that this is the case.

Message 11 of 124
Scholar

mj,

As far as cancelling.  My current intentions are to go to a Verizon store with my current equipment the day that I recieve my AT&T phones in the mail.  Do you think I will have any issues porting my numbers back out of AT&T and getting it back to Verizon?

I wish I could just call up AT&T and tell them to not bother sending me phones or taking the time to port my number out for that one day.  It is a waste of both of our time and resources.

Message 12 of 124
Scholar

< as sad as I am to say, they simply do not compare. >

Well, thanks for that.  At least you can see why I'm so livid about the way this is going down.

AT&T does have phones that I would settle with (even the Captive would be reasonable) but I just can't swallow moving back two years in technology to the Aria.  The biggest thing for me is that buying the Captive isn't an option, because I'd have to move to an AT&T plan.

Message 13 of 124

belome wrote:

< as sad as I am to say, they simply do not compare. >

Well, thanks for that.  At least you can see why I'm so livid about the way this is going down.

AT&T does have phones that I would settle with (even the Captive would be reasonable) but I just can't swallow moving back two years in technology to the Aria.  The biggest thing for me is that buying the Captive isn't an option, because I'd have to move to an AT&T plan.

Yes, I can definitely see the reason. We actually just went through a remedial on the merger, and all of the the devices listed in that training side by side, either compared almost exactly, or the AT&T device was far superior. This one, however, leaves me scratching my head. The only thing that I can figure is that AT&T doesn't offer a device comparable to yours that isnt either far below, or above the level of technology that the Droid 2 has, so therefore offered you the middle ground. Honestly, I can't say what the outcome will be, but you may try calling customer care and speaking to a manager if necessary, and having them pull up both devices so that they can see first hand that the two don't match up.

Message 14 of 124
Scholar

Well, to be fair they did offer other free phones:

Pantech Link

Nokia 6530

Samsung a777

Samsung STrive

Samsung Eternity

Samsung Rugby

Palm Pre Plus

BB Curve 9300

I don't see any of these being a contender to the Droid 2, espcially since I want an Andriod based phone.

Do you have any input on the 'other' phones I was offered?

Message 15 of 124
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support