Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 30, 2010
7:01:41 PM
Forced data plan for smartphone

I got an HTC Aria from Ebay and disabled data over the ATT network. Unfortunately, the system detected the phone change and forced me to take a data plan that I dont want and won't use. Is it possible to have a smart phone without a data plan? Actualluy I would sign on in a second if a combined voice, 5GB data with tethering plan were offered in the 100 dollar range but I am stuck using ATT for voice and use a Virgin Mobile MyFi unlimited plan. The cost for both is about 100. Maybe one of the major carriers will get a clue someday and offer a better plan.

I got an HTC Aria from Ebay and disabled data over the ATT network. Unfortunately, the system detected the phone change and forced me to take a data plan that I dont want and won't use. Is it possible to have a smart phone without a data plan? Actualluy I would sign on in a second if a combined voice, 5GB data with tethering plan were offered in the 100 dollar range but I am stuck using ATT for voice and use a Virgin Mobile MyFi unlimited plan. The cost for both is about 100. Maybe one of the major carriers will get a clue someday and offer a better plan.

Forced data plan for smartphone

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2010 8:20:13 PM
(0)
Former Employee

No.

No.

Re: Forced data plan for smartphone

2 of 17 (2,314 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2010 7:28:33 AM
(0)
Master

As drumn_bass pointed out, this is not possible.  If AT&T detects you have a smartphone activated after the grandfather exclusion date of last year, they can and will add a data plan to your account.

And it'd be great if the major carriers gave out free puppies with their plans, and rainbows & unicorns followed you around whenever you were using the phone.  Sorry, but it's completely in the realm of fantasy for any of the major carriers to offer a plan like the one you're talking about. 

As drumn_bass pointed out, this is not possible.  If AT&T detects you have a smartphone activated after the grandfather exclusion date of last year, they can and will add a data plan to your account.

And it'd be great if the major carriers gave out free puppies with their plans, and rainbows & unicorns followed you around whenever you were using the phone.  Sorry, but it's completely in the realm of fantasy for any of the major carriers to offer a plan like the one you're talking about. 

3 of 17 (2,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2011 4:23:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

But it's pure genius. ATT probably figured that they could rationalize mandating certain plans with phones, like text and data. If someone doesn't use data before, there's a chance you could force them to pay for it, and they still may not use it. 

Genius!

But it's pure genius. ATT probably figured that they could rationalize mandating certain plans with phones, like text and data. If someone doesn't use data before, there's a chance you could force them to pay for it, and they still may not use it. 

Genius!

4 of 17 (2,227 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 3:27:52 AM
(0)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

Genius!

Not really, was pure poor business sense on ATT's part since they where the last of the 3 primary carriers to require a data plan on smart phones. Unless you are making a blanket statement to cover both of the other two providers. I believe even t-mobile has the requirement now

diagoro wrote:

Genius!

Not really, was pure poor business sense on ATT's part since they where the last of the 3 primary carriers to require a data plan on smart phones. Unless you are making a blanket statement to cover both of the other two providers. I believe even t-mobile has the requirement now

5 of 17 (2,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 7:24:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

The issue is that I get the services that I want for the hundred bucks a month. Now I will have to go back to the junk phone for voice, use the sim free smart phone connected to the mifi for data. It involves 2 bills and 3 devices.

The issue is that I get the services that I want for the hundred bucks a month. Now I will have to go back to the junk phone for voice, use the sim free smart phone connected to the mifi for data. It involves 2 bills and 3 devices.

6 of 17 (2,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 7:41:30 PM
(0)
Master

And Virgin Mobile isn't a major player in the US market place.  Boost Mobile offers better prices than AT&T or Verizon, but how good is their coverage?  The smaller carriers offer cheaper prices, usually in exchange for more limited coverage and potentially fewer roaming options.  T-Mobile & Sprint, who are second-tier carriers, have cheaper prices but smaller networks.

And Virgin Mobile isn't a major player in the US market place.  Boost Mobile offers better prices than AT&T or Verizon, but how good is their coverage?  The smaller carriers offer cheaper prices, usually in exchange for more limited coverage and potentially fewer roaming options.  T-Mobile & Sprint, who are second-tier carriers, have cheaper prices but smaller networks.

7 of 17 (2,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 8:36:48 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by cwrig on Jan 3, 2011 at 8:45:22 PM

fyi; Virgin and Boost are owned by Sprint both use Sprint's network.  They are cheaper because the are a lower tier service than sprint.  If a sprint contract customer and a virgin or boost pre-paid customer are on a crowded tower; the spint direct customer will have priority.  That is one reason Boost and Virgin have such great prices.    This isnt to suggest boost and virgin are unreliable or get dropped all the time; they are actually pretty reliable.  But there is a reason they are so in-expensive.

@jacktoid; the Virgin broadband unlimited service is tough to beat.  Great price, it performs pretty well and is not throttled after a certain usage like some other prepaid cards.   The combination of services you have put together is not uncommon.

fyi; Virgin and Boost are owned by Sprint both use Sprint's network.  They are cheaper because the are a lower tier service than sprint.  If a sprint contract customer and a virgin or boost pre-paid customer are on a crowded tower; the spint direct customer will have priority.  That is one reason Boost and Virgin have such great prices.    This isnt to suggest boost and virgin are unreliable or get dropped all the time; they are actually pretty reliable.  But there is a reason they are so in-expensive.

@jacktoid; the Virgin broadband unlimited service is tough to beat.  Great price, it performs pretty well and is not throttled after a certain usage like some other prepaid cards.   The combination of services you have put together is not uncommon.

[ Edited ]
8 of 17 (2,104 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2011 3:17:27 AM
(0)
Expert

cwrig wrote:

Not really usre if Virgin is actually owned by Sprint or just buy tower time from sprint. Especially since it appears to primarily be a British owned company that cell serivce is a minor part of. If you review the terms of serivce they have a acceptable use policy that is pretty much standard across the provider

Specific Terms and Restrictions regarding Data Services

If your plan includes data services, such services are provided solely for purposes of web browsing, messaging, and similar activities. You are responsible for all data activity from and to your mobile phone or device regardless of who initiates the activity. You may not use the data service: (1) with server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing or other systems that drive continuous heavy traffic or data sessions; (2) as a substitute or backup for private lines or frame relay connections; (3) with "auto-responders", "cancel-bots", or similar automated or manual routines which generate excessive amounts of traffic, or which disrupt user groups or email use by others; (4) for tethering your mobile phone to a personal computer or other hardware; (5) to send "spam" or unsolicited commercial or bulk email (or activities that have the effect of facilitating unsolicited commercial email or unsolicited bulk email); or (6) for any activity that adversely affects the ability of other people or systems to use either our wireless services or other parties' Internet-based resources. We reserve the right to limit, suspend or terminate without notice any misuse of our network or violation of these Terms of Service.

cwrig wrote:

Not really usre if Virgin is actually owned by Sprint or just buy tower time from sprint. Especially since it appears to primarily be a British owned company that cell serivce is a minor part of. If you review the terms of serivce they have a acceptable use policy that is pretty much standard across the provider

Specific Terms and Restrictions regarding Data Services

If your plan includes data services, such services are provided solely for purposes of web browsing, messaging, and similar activities. You are responsible for all data activity from and to your mobile phone or device regardless of who initiates the activity. You may not use the data service: (1) with server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing or other systems that drive continuous heavy traffic or data sessions; (2) as a substitute or backup for private lines or frame relay connections; (3) with "auto-responders", "cancel-bots", or similar automated or manual routines which generate excessive amounts of traffic, or which disrupt user groups or email use by others; (4) for tethering your mobile phone to a personal computer or other hardware; (5) to send "spam" or unsolicited commercial or bulk email (or activities that have the effect of facilitating unsolicited commercial email or unsolicited bulk email); or (6) for any activity that adversely affects the ability of other people or systems to use either our wireless services or other parties' Internet-based resources. We reserve the right to limit, suspend or terminate without notice any misuse of our network or violation of these Terms of Service.

9 of 17 (2,082 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2011 4:30:19 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by cwrig on Jan 4, 2011 at 4:32:15 PM

Sprint owns the US version of Virgin mobile.   Their no contract unlimted broadband offering in the real world is a great deal.   Its not standard across all vendors.  Most prepaid broadband offerings either cap the data, charge for overage, or throttle after going over a cap.

Sprint owns the US version of Virgin mobile.   Their no contract unlimted broadband offering in the real world is a great deal.   Its not standard across all vendors.  Most prepaid broadband offerings either cap the data, charge for overage, or throttle after going over a cap.

[ Edited ]
10 of 17 (2,038 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 2:25:37 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jan 5, 2011 at 2:29:52 AM

cwrig wrote:

According to the gloabl Virgin site - it is own by Virgin

http://www.virgin.com/company/

they purchase tower space from Sprint, not a unique situation, a lot of providers purchase tower space when they don;t want to sink trillions of dollars in a tower infrastructure, why re-invent the wheel

http://www.virgin.com/company/virgin-mobile-usa/

According to the TOS that is posted they retain the right to cap, overcharge or throttle, just like every other carrier

cwrig wrote:

According to the gloabl Virgin site - it is own by Virgin

http://www.virgin.com/company/

they purchase tower space from Sprint, not a unique situation, a lot of providers purchase tower space when they don;t want to sink trillions of dollars in a tower infrastructure, why re-invent the wheel

http://www.virgin.com/company/virgin-mobile-usa/

According to the TOS that is posted they retain the right to cap, overcharge or throttle, just like every other carrier

[ Edited ]
11 of 17 (1,471 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 6:14:40 AM
(0)
Scholar

That is not correct.   That TOS is simply qualifing what "Unlimited means".  The service they provide is unique for the price point and function.   If you have actually used and compared prepaid BB cards, you would know what a unique sercvice this is.  It currently can not be beat in its pricepoint.

Virgin mobile USA is owned by Sprint; not the virgin Global.  Virgin mobile was an mvno of sprint for a short while until sprint bought them as another division a couple years ago.

That is not correct.   That TOS is simply qualifing what "Unlimited means".  The service they provide is unique for the price point and function.   If you have actually used and compared prepaid BB cards, you would know what a unique sercvice this is.  It currently can not be beat in its pricepoint.

Virgin mobile USA is owned by Sprint; not the virgin Global.  Virgin mobile was an mvno of sprint for a short while until sprint bought them as another division a couple years ago.

12 of 17 (1,452 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2011 2:53:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

This just happened to me also.  Found two smartphones on Ebay that we liked for size and texting.  AT&T just shoved the dataplans down our throats.  If anyone from AT&T actually reads these posts I want you to know that I'm extremely dissatisfied and as soon as my contract is up I'm going to find another provider. 

This just happened to me also.  Found two smartphones on Ebay that we liked for size and texting.  AT&T just shoved the dataplans down our throats.  If anyone from AT&T actually reads these posts I want you to know that I'm extremely dissatisfied and as soon as my contract is up I'm going to find another provider. 

13 of 17 (1,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2011 3:59:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Then don't try to use a smartphone on any of the other major providers. They all require data plans on smartphones, too. And you will have to quit them too.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.

Then don't try to use a smartphone on any of the other major providers. They all require data plans on smartphones, too. And you will have to quit them too.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

14 of 17 (1,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2011 1:52:51 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by aw614 on Jan 22, 2011 at 1:53:33 PM

kdfederer wrote:

Not on Tmobile you can go contract free and bring your own phone or buy at full price and not have a data plan.  I'd love to use my x10a I bought off craigslist on my regular post paid plan, instead Im having to use it on a gophone sim I had lying around using it like an ipod touch or using with with a hypersim +  tmo to go sim.  PPU for me is not an issue, as its very easy to turn off cellular data on android.  I understand they want to force  it and smartphones use a lot of data, but if someone wants to be on pay per use let them and if they rack up a huge bill make them pay for it. 

kdfederer wrote:

Not on Tmobile you can go contract free and bring your own phone or buy at full price and not have a data plan.  I'd love to use my x10a I bought off craigslist on my regular post paid plan, instead Im having to use it on a gophone sim I had lying around using it like an ipod touch or using with with a hypersim +  tmo to go sim.  PPU for me is not an issue, as its very easy to turn off cellular data on android.  I understand they want to force  it and smartphones use a lot of data, but if someone wants to be on pay per use let them and if they rack up a huge bill make them pay for it. 

[ Edited ]
15 of 17 (1,253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2011 2:10:36 PM
(0)
Expert

aw614 wrote:

kdfederer wrote:

mighr want to cdouble check that, they where planning on phasing that out, but then again t-mobile is a tier 4 provider, and they have to use all kinds of specials to keep their market share up

aw614 wrote:

kdfederer wrote:

mighr want to cdouble check that, they where planning on phasing that out, but then again t-mobile is a tier 4 provider, and they have to use all kinds of specials to keep their market share up

16 of 17 (1,247 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2011 2:36:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

oh ok I didnt realize they phased it out.  I guess the best option is to just go go phone unlimited talk and text for att and use a smartphone that way and avoid being on any contract that would force data plan.  But Tmobiles no contract is a slightly better deal and with coverage being about equal in my location, I would have switched if I wasnt on a family plan. 

oh ok I didnt realize they phased it out.  I guess the best option is to just go go phone unlimited talk and text for att and use a smartphone that way and avoid being on any contract that would force data plan.  But Tmobiles no contract is a slightly better deal and with coverage being about equal in my location, I would have switched if I wasnt on a family plan. 

17 of 17 (1,240 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments