Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 25, 2009
8:56:10 AM
View profile
For those complaining about Tethering charges....
There are several posts saying that they think ATT has no right to charge more for tethering because you pay for an unlimited data plan.

Let's make something (obvious to me) very clear

1. You pay for unlimited for the device you have registered with them. One device.

2. If you had two iphones, you'd be paying for 2 unlimited data plans. Two Devices = 2 Data plans

If 1 and 2 are true - you have to accept that allowing tethering is opening up more than your ONE device to their bandwidth for which they have EVERY right to charge additional fees for.

Again - you are paying to access the net on ONE device. Tethering allows other devices in ADDITION to your phone to access their network.

So... can we stop with all the complaining or implying that ATT has no right or it's stupid of them to charge extra?

Look at Disney for example. If I pay for an unlimited 1-day park hopper - that entitles ME to go on all the rides. I can't leave at 2pm and then give my ticket to someone else.

If I go to an all you can eat buffet, that doesn't entitle me to take food home, give their food away to other people in the restaurant or worse, go into the kitchen and help myself to whatever they have

...and no. I don't work for ATT nor do I think they are perfect.
There are several posts saying that they think ATT has no right to charge more for tethering because you pay for an unlimited data plan.

Let's make something (obvious to me) very clear

1. You pay for unlimited for the device you have registered with them. One device.

2. If you had two iphones, you'd be paying for 2 unlimited data plans. Two Devices = 2 Data plans

If 1 and 2 are true - you have to accept that allowing tethering is opening up more than your ONE device to their bandwidth for which they have EVERY right to charge additional fees for.

Again - you are paying to access the net on ONE device. Tethering allows other devices in ADDITION to your phone to access their network.

So... can we stop with all the complaining or implying that ATT has no right or it's stupid of them to charge extra?

Look at Disney for example. If I pay for an unlimited 1-day park hopper - that entitles ME to go on all the rides. I can't leave at 2pm and then give my ticket to someone else.

If I go to an all you can eat buffet, that doesn't entitle me to take food home, give their food away to other people in the restaurant or worse, go into the kitchen and help myself to whatever they have

...and no. I don't work for ATT nor do I think they are perfect.

For those complaining about Tethering charges....

38 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(38)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 1:07:24 PM
(0)
Professor
Since this is what happens with other devices, such as Blackberrys on a BES or WinMo devices on Exchange (Enterprise Data plan = $45, add tethering to same device, total data plan only $60), I'd bet your total tethering charge would be $60, not $75.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Since this is what happens with other devices, such as Blackberrys on a BES or WinMo devices on Exchange (Enterprise Data plan = $45, add tethering to same device, total data plan only $60), I'd bet your total tethering charge would be $60, not $75.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Re: For those complaining about Tethering charges....

31 of 39 (1,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 1:17:20 PM
(0)
Contributor

shenanigans wrote:

That would be reasonable and I would pay that. It was the AT&T store snotty kid response that almost had me ricocheting the phone off his head when I asked about it yesterday...

shenanigans wrote:

That would be reasonable and I would pay that. It was the AT&T store snotty kid response that almost had me ricocheting the phone off his head when I asked about it yesterday...

32 of 39 (1,274 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 1:27:28 PM
(0)
Mentor
I have my iPhone configured to use my exchange server from work, and I would never pay $45 a month for the 'Enterprise' option, just because I have an exchange email.  You can't tell me the other 4-5 options don't use the 'internet connection' all the time either?
I have my iPhone configured to use my exchange server from work, and I would never pay $45 a month for the 'Enterprise' option, just because I have an exchange email.  You can't tell me the other 4-5 options don't use the 'internet connection' all the time either?

33 of 39 (1,267 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 1:37:19 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Coop1701 on Jun 30, 2009 at 1:38:33 PM

Oh my friend.  I'm a IT Guy.  Internet is Internet...   I know I can not take my Cable Modem across the country and use it on another network.  The only difference between land based internet and my iphone's internet is the small distance it takes to get from my handset to the cell tower.

I'm not saying AT&T should not charge for this option.  

I'm just saying they and YOU, should think about the broader problem.   It's not infrastructure problem they will be creating.  It's is penny pinching people to death really worth it.

Message Edited by Coop1701 on 06-30-2009 01:38:33 PM

Oh my friend.  I'm a IT Guy.  Internet is Internet...   I know I can not take my Cable Modem across the country and use it on another network.  The only difference between land based internet and my iphone's internet is the small distance it takes to get from my handset to the cell tower.

I'm just saying they and YOU, should think about the broader problem.   It's not infrastructure problem they will be creating.  It's is penny pinching people to death really worth it.

Message Edited by Coop1701 on 06-30-2009 01:38:33 PM

[ Edited ]
34 of 39 (1,263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 1:43:08 PM
(0)
Master

Coop1701 wrote:

Oh my friend.  I'm a IT Guy.  Internet is Internet...   I do not think I can take my Cable Modem across the country and use it on another network.  The only difference between between land based internet and my iphone's internet is the small distance it takes to get from my handset to the cell tower.

I don't work for AT&T. Never have. Never will....

Then why is it ok for you to penny-pinch the other way? Ask AT&T to give to you for free what they already charge others for?

AT&T employs lots of people, provides a lot of service, has a duty to their shareholders to make money...They are *entitled* to charge whatever the market will bear. It currently bears at $30 per phone for tethering.

No if NO ONE tethers AT ALL, EVER. Then maybe the cellular companies will charge less.

The reality is that if one travels a lot, tethering is a cheaper alternative than paying for a hotel's daily internet rate.

Keep in mind, I believe tethering was instituted with business travelers in mind. In which case $30/month is a bargain.

Coop1701 wrote:

Oh my friend.  I'm a IT Guy.  Internet is Internet...   I do not think I can take my Cable Modem across the country and use it on another network.  The only difference between between land based internet and my iphone's internet is the small distance it takes to get from my handset to the cell tower.

I don't work for AT&T. Never have. Never will....

Then why is it ok for you to penny-pinch the other way? Ask AT&T to give to you for free what they already charge others for?

AT&T employs lots of people, provides a lot of service, has a duty to their shareholders to make money...They are *entitled* to charge whatever the market will bear. It currently bears at $30 per phone for tethering.

No if NO ONE tethers AT ALL, EVER. Then maybe the cellular companies will charge less.

The reality is that if one travels a lot, tethering is a cheaper alternative than paying for a hotel's daily internet rate.

Keep in mind, I believe tethering was instituted with business travelers in mind. In which case $30/month is a bargain.

Posted from my Samsung Captivate

35 of 39 (1,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 2:01:29 PM
(0)
Master

You pay for data usage outlines in AT&T's plan terms & conditions.  Any use outside of that is prohibited.  If you don't have a tethering plan, then tethering is prohibited.  The reason tethering plans cost more is because of the additional bandwidth you can consume hooking your phone up to a laptop or desktop.  Those YouTube videos on the iPhone are specially compressed to use less bandwidth than their desktop analogs.  Consider you can watch movie trailers in HD on your desktop or laptop, or stream full-sized YouTube videos.  Think about all the other uses for the Internet on your desktop or laptop that you can't do on the iPhone.  Really, this discussion has been had ad nauseum time and time again, and the answer is always the same.

boeyc15 wrote:
yes but cellular data is cellular data. If I am paying for X $$ for x amount of data via cellular network at a certain bandwidth... what difference does it make what component is hook'd up to the cellular network(related to what the provider charges me).  I pay for data usage be  t voice, text, pictures or etc (over simplified but the general idea)

You pay for data usage outlines in AT&T's plan terms & conditions.  Any use outside of that is prohibited.  If you don't have a tethering plan, then tethering is prohibited.  The reason tethering plans cost more is because of the additional bandwidth you can consume hooking your phone up to a laptop or desktop.  Those YouTube videos on the iPhone are specially compressed to use less bandwidth than their desktop analogs.  Consider you can watch movie trailers in HD on your desktop or laptop, or stream full-sized YouTube videos.  Think about all the other uses for the Internet on your desktop or laptop that you can't do on the iPhone.  Really, this discussion has been had ad nauseum time and time again, and the answer is always the same.

boeyc15 wrote:
yes but cellular data is cellular data. If I am paying for X $$ for x amount of data via cellular network at a certain bandwidth... what difference does it make what component is hook'd up to the cellular network(related to what the provider charges me).  I pay for data usage be  t voice, text, pictures or etc (over simplified but the general idea)

36 of 39 (1,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 3:07:15 PM
(0)
Teacher

Terms and conditions?  Ummm... we know about those, that is not the discussion, the issue/discussion is what is preferable (ya know in a dream on type of world, we know it will never happen so, why not complain and wish?)

Not sure where your going with 'bandwidth stuff'. Cellular is a certain bandwith. Cable is another. DSL is another.

Do I pay for bits or not? Did ATT say I could have so many bits per month or not? If so, what do they care what I hook up to the spigot?  Its my bucket. They control the spigot. Video qualtity? if you want that stick with land lines and 'higher bandwith' or that luddite medium... DVD's

Ideally a tier plan is ideal, I am sure ATT is struggling on the proper way to do this. Either way their bound to tick somebody off

Terms and conditions?  Ummm... we know about those, that is not the discussion, the issue/discussion is what is preferable (ya know in a dream on type of world, we know it will never happen so, why not complain and wish?)

Not sure where your going with 'bandwidth stuff'. Cellular is a certain bandwith. Cable is another. DSL is another.

Do I pay for bits or not? Did ATT say I could have so many bits per month or not? If so, what do they care what I hook up to the spigot?  Its my bucket. They control the spigot. Video qualtity? if you want that stick with land lines and 'higher bandwith' or that luddite medium... DVD's

Ideally a tier plan is ideal, I am sure ATT is struggling on the proper way to do this. Either way their bound to tick somebody off

37 of 39 (1,227 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2011 1:25:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

Tether charges are wrong simply because ATT doesn't provide anything additional for extra charges.  Iphones are paid by customers who already pay a data plan. Tether is completely irrelavent to ATT data services technically.

Yes, tether enables more devices that potentially use more data than just one iphone. But it is only reasonable to charge for additional data if customers exceed their data plan limit.

As majority of the customers use only 10~20% of 2GB data plan. ATT has been charging extra for nothing already. It is absolutely wrong to forbid tether under 2GB data plan that you have already paid for. 

So why should ATT charge for nothing?  Because cellphone network is a monopoly market. They just simply can do it without reason. Since all 4 or 5 carriers are doing the same, you as customers, can not avoid the evil.

Tether charges are wrong simply because ATT doesn't provide anything additional for extra charges.  Iphones are paid by customers who already pay a data plan. Tether is completely irrelavent to ATT data services technically.

Yes, tether enables more devices that potentially use more data than just one iphone. But it is only reasonable to charge for additional data if customers exceed their data plan limit.

As majority of the customers use only 10~20% of 2GB data plan. ATT has been charging extra for nothing already. It is absolutely wrong to forbid tether under 2GB data plan that you have already paid for. 

So why should ATT charge for nothing?  Because cellphone network is a monopoly market. They just simply can do it without reason. Since all 4 or 5 carriers are doing the same, you as customers, can not avoid the evil.

38 of 39 (233 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2011 1:43:34 PM
(0)
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

39 of 39 (227 Views)