For those complaining about Tethering charges....

Master

Re: For those complaining about Tethering charges....

Coop1701 wrote:

I can compare the 2...  Internet is internet.   The only thing that it's using extra of, is the signal which they got for free from the US Gov't. 

When I signed up for my Iphone.  I was given the option 30 dollars for unlimited internet or 45 for the Enterprise Internet access.   They sale rep explained they could share that in the same way you can get unlimited texts on a single line for 20 or on the family plan for 30.  I checked and the 45 dollar thing does not exist as a option anymore.   But it was, and my wife enjoys it.

I was not trying to provoke you into a arguement.  I'm just saying, I can compare different internet services.  Whether it be over the air, or via cable. 

I'm not planning on tethering anyway.  So in the grand scheme of things.  It doesn't matter to me.

Nope. When you're out of your house, you can't use the internet from your house, right?

When you're at the airport, you can't get to internet through your house's connection, right? They don't make cords that long.

So it's not the same internet. One is FIXED. One is PORTABLE.

You're paying for the convenience of portability.

Believe me, until I got this into my head, I *HATED* the thought of paying $30 for a data plan, when I'm only paying $15 more for cable at home. But I can't take my home network with me to the restaurant Smiley Happy I'm paying for my convenience.

I don't use tethering myself. But I perfectly understand why it costs more to tether, since a computer easily uses more bandwidth than any phone. That EXTRA usage shouldn't be for free. I do agree that tethering should be tiered then capped at $30. I think most people would sign up for the tiered approach and then end up paying $30 anyway. Being locked in to paying $30 whether you use a lot or a little feels a lot different than "using more than $30 worth". Just perception.

Message 16 of 39
Mentor

Well put. Speaking for the rest of us "with" common sense, we thank you for this post.

Message 17 of 39
Mentor

But when u tether ur internet for that one device get transferred to another device so in theory only one device is accessing the internet....
Message 18 of 39

Aye DH...aye...

the bandwith usage is and always will be limited to the phone. If the phone can only handle 1.5 meg download, that is all you get. This number does not magically change and go up just because you attach it to a computer. Think of the connection between the phone and towers as a pipe. Its one size, doesn't get bigger. You may only ask to have it half full, but the pipe stays the same. This is my arguement. From the "phone" plan, we are already paying for the pipe, and unlimited usage of it. Why, other than convience, should we pay to cut this "stream" in half between the phone and one other device? That is the arguement. As always, yes companies need cash flow to stay open. Bad comparision, but explain gas prices! Then again, guess we shouldbbe glad these things are subject to their price models.   Smiley Tongue  But at any rate, this is why I do not agree with the tethering plans. Now, I can see $5 for a set limit, $15 for maybe the 5 gig now, and full extra $30 for unlimited. That would get me on board! But the way it is now, I would go over in less than a week. Ok, thats pushing it, but makes the point. 

Message 19 of 39
Teacher

I have to agree in that if I'm paying for up to 5 gig of data through put now, does it really matter where it ends up at? However, from ATT's point of view....

Two items for ATT to consider

1) They can charge extra for the tethering and whats the alternative for the consumer?

2) ATT probably assumed an 'average' iphone usage (which is no where near 5gig) per phone based on BB usage, and evidently iphone was 'way ' higher and caught them flat-footed

So now, what if they allowed tethering at say 'no charge'.(dream on) 

a) most likely 95% of iphone users will drop there home internet and if had ATT at home, ATT will lose that revenue

b) up there iphone usage even more... straining the ATT network even more.

Conclusion - ATT will charge 30 bucks for tethering (if they can tell your computer is hooked up)... sucks, but there it is.

Could there be an OS 3.01 update to help support ATT for this effort. Will be interesting.

Also, I do not like only unlimited data (in theory) plans. Options are always good.

IMO - Only the internet hounds are screaming when the providers offer limited data plans.

BTW- how much data is download when doing average websurfing... I have no idea.

Message Edited by boeyc15 on 06-30-2009 10:16:37 AM
Message 20 of 39
Expert

boeyc15 wrote:

I have to agree in that if I'm paying for up to 5 gig of data through put now, does it really matter where it ends up at? However, from ATT's point of view....

Two items for ATT to consider

1) They can charge extra for the tethering and whats the alternative for the consumer?

2) ATT probably assumed an 'average' iphone usage (which is no where near 5gig) per phone based on BB usage, and evidently iphone was 'way ' higher and caught them flat-footed

So now, what if they allowed tethering at say 'no charge'.(dream on) 

a) most likely 95% of iphone users will drop there home internet and if had ATT at home, ATT will lose that revenue

b) up there iphone usage even more... straining the ATT network even more.

Conclusion - ATT will charge 30 bucks for tethering (if they can tell your computer is hooked up)... sucks, but there it is.

Could there be an OS 3.01 update to help support ATT for this effort. Will be interesting.

Also, I do not like only unlimited data (in theory) plans. Options are always good.

IMO - Only the internet hounds are screaming when the providers offer limited data plans.

BTW- how much data is download when doing average websurfing... I have no idea.

Message Edited by boeyc15 on 06-30-2009 10:16:37 AM

Most of the providers charge extra for tethering  with caps.

I doubt that anytone in their right mind would cancel their home internet connection for tethering - I can blow the 5gb cap in 6 ISO downloads from MS technet and I have 5 machines hooked up to my current 18M connection

Message 21 of 39
Professor

No doubt, I wouldn't cancel my home Internet, either. But I'd be willing to bet there'd be a solid percentage of people who would.

I'd think many people don't use 5G's worth of data, even with their home setups. I know I don't, and I doubt I'm alone.
Message 22 of 39
Teacher

Wingrider... dare I say - You sir are a 'power user'. Smiley Very Happy

Yea, 95% is probably a bit high that would cancel, but I know many who would in  a heart beat. At home, myself, I get on a couple times a month and when some after work items come up.

In any case, would love to see a tiered usage plan with iphone.

If under x amount no charge(yes I'm dreaming), etc.

Message Edited by boeyc15 on 06-30-2009 10:50:55 AM
Message Edited by boeyc15 on 06-30-2009 10:51:08 AM
Message 23 of 39
Tutor

I seem to remember regular broadband companies (dsl/cable) trying to charge for aditional devices behind the 1 device connected to the provider network (IE router) how did that work out for them....
Message 24 of 39
Expert

boeyc15 wrote:

Wingrider... dare I say - You sir are a 'power user'. Smiley Very Happy

Yea, 95% is probably a bit high that would cancel, but I know many who would in  a heart beat. At home, myself, I get on a couple times a month and when some after work items come up.

In any case, would love to see a tiered usage plan with iphone.

If under x amount no charge(yes I'm dreaming), etc.

Message Edited by boeyc15 on 06-30-2009 10:50:55 AM
Message Edited by boeyc15 on 06-30-2009 10:51:08 AM

ok, lets add twitter, facebook,  hulu, vidoe on demand from Uverse, Directv, slingbox. even my kids old can blow that in a few hours on freerealms, or club penguin.
Message 25 of 39
Master

I can almost guarantee you that tethering will be an additional $30....if they offer a price break to iPhone users tethering, then AT&T will have to reset prices on all their other tethering plans.  Perhaps they'll offer a limited use plan that'll be cheaper, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

bmsrn wrote:

I could see your point if both the iPhone and the tethered device were accessing data simultaneously.  For example someone browsing, watching videos on the iPhone while another tethered device were doing the same. You are then actually increasing data usage significantly. With someone such as myself it would be used mainly as a means of using the larger display and keyboard of my laptop and even then only in very few situations. I can think of one time this year that I might have used tethering had it been available.

Still the actual fee is not known yet. If its reasonable then I dont have a problem but an additional $20 or $30 a month fee would be outrageous. $10 or less would be acceptable to me.

Message 26 of 39
Master

And that would be an incorrect comparison between home and cellular Internet connections.  Internet is NOT Internet.  Mobile data is significantly more expensive to implement than terrestrial data, and you can't take your cable modem across the country and expect it to have service.

Coop1701 wrote:

I can compare the 2...  Internet is internet.   The only thing that it's using extra of, is the signal which they got for free from the US Gov't. 

When I signed up for my Iphone.  I was given the option 30 dollars for unlimited internet or 45 for the Enterprise Internet access.   They sale rep explained they could share that in the same way you can get unlimited texts on a single line for 20 or on the family plan for 30.  I checked and the 45 dollar thing does not exist as a option anymore.   But it was, and my wife enjoys it.

I was not trying to provoke you into a arguement.  I'm just saying, I can compare different internet services.  Whether it be over the air, or via cable. 

I'm not planning on tethering anyway.  So in the grand scheme of things.  It doesn't matter to me.

Message 27 of 39
ACE - Professor

BrianfromNO wrote:

I can almost guarantee you that tethering will be an additional $30....if they offer a price break to iPhone users tethering, then AT&T will have to reset prices on all their other tethering plans. 

You may well be right but I doubt that the $30 price is set in stone at this time.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 28 of 39
Teacher

yes but cellular data is cellular data. If I am paying for X $$ for x amount of data via cellular network at a certain bandwidth... what difference does it make what component is hook'd up to the cellular network(related to what the provider charges me).  I pay for data usage be  t voice, text, pictures or etc (over simplified but the general idea)
Message 29 of 39
Contributor

here's my take on this;

I pay $30/month for "unlimited" data and got tagged another $15/month because I use my iPhone in a work capacity and have Exchange configured. Apparently "unlimited" doesn't mean exactly that to AT&T and the additional monthly is because Exchange is constantly accessing the Internet they say... Smiley Indifferent

So now they want to charge me an extra $30/month to do what I was told this device would do when I got it; tether for times when I am out in the field and need access. Fine... I'll pay that, but remove the $15 charge for Exchange, after all that is charging twice for the same service; now I'm only looking at an increase of $15 on my already $200/month service plan.

And I doubt I could suffer 3G long enough to not go find the nearest hotspot coffee shop to do anything more extensive than what is absolutely necessary in the field... 

Message 30 of 39
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support