Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 25, 2009
8:56:10 AM
View profile
For those complaining about Tethering charges....
There are several posts saying that they think ATT has no right to charge more for tethering because you pay for an unlimited data plan.

Let's make something (obvious to me) very clear

1. You pay for unlimited for the device you have registered with them. One device.

2. If you had two iphones, you'd be paying for 2 unlimited data plans. Two Devices = 2 Data plans

If 1 and 2 are true - you have to accept that allowing tethering is opening up more than your ONE device to their bandwidth for which they have EVERY right to charge additional fees for.

Again - you are paying to access the net on ONE device. Tethering allows other devices in ADDITION to your phone to access their network.

So... can we stop with all the complaining or implying that ATT has no right or it's stupid of them to charge extra?

Look at Disney for example. If I pay for an unlimited 1-day park hopper - that entitles ME to go on all the rides. I can't leave at 2pm and then give my ticket to someone else.

If I go to an all you can eat buffet, that doesn't entitle me to take food home, give their food away to other people in the restaurant or worse, go into the kitchen and help myself to whatever they have

...and no. I don't work for ATT nor do I think they are perfect.
There are several posts saying that they think ATT has no right to charge more for tethering because you pay for an unlimited data plan.

Let's make something (obvious to me) very clear

1. You pay for unlimited for the device you have registered with them. One device.

2. If you had two iphones, you'd be paying for 2 unlimited data plans. Two Devices = 2 Data plans

If 1 and 2 are true - you have to accept that allowing tethering is opening up more than your ONE device to their bandwidth for which they have EVERY right to charge additional fees for.

Again - you are paying to access the net on ONE device. Tethering allows other devices in ADDITION to your phone to access their network.

So... can we stop with all the complaining or implying that ATT has no right or it's stupid of them to charge extra?

Look at Disney for example. If I pay for an unlimited 1-day park hopper - that entitles ME to go on all the rides. I can't leave at 2pm and then give my ticket to someone else.

If I go to an all you can eat buffet, that doesn't entitle me to take food home, give their food away to other people in the restaurant or worse, go into the kitchen and help myself to whatever they have

...and no. I don't work for ATT nor do I think they are perfect.

For those complaining about Tethering charges....

38 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(38)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2009 9:52:50 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by ecugolf33 on Jun 25, 2009 at 10:07:38 AM

well samcraig...here's your problem...you have common sense.  there's a large number of folks on this board that want something for nothing (in fact, they appear to feel they are entitled to something for nothing) and will complain about absolutely anything if given then slightest opportunity.  let's face it..Apple has produced a great phone with a ton of cool features.  granted there are enhancements i'd like to see myself but i'm not going to whine & complain about it...just sit back and enjoy what i have.  i'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with next year.  in the meantime...i'll enjoy my 3G.

to those of you that live for tethering...go somewhere else....who needs ya anyway?!

BTW...just as samcraig, i'm not a Apple/AT&T employee....just a satisfied customer.

also wanted to add that luckily there are some good folks on this board that are very helpful.  i've been helped several times and am grateful.

Message Edited by ecugolf33 on 06-25-2009 10:07:38 AM

well samcraig...here's your problem...you have common sense.  there's a large number of folks on this board that want something for nothing (in fact, they appear to feel they are entitled to something for nothing) and will complain about absolutely anything if given then slightest opportunity.  let's face it..Apple has produced a great phone with a ton of cool features.  granted there are enhancements i'd like to see myself but i'm not going to whine & complain about it...just sit back and enjoy what i have.  i'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with next year.  in the meantime...i'll enjoy my 3G.

to those of you that live for tethering...go somewhere else....who needs ya anyway?!

BTW...just as samcraig, i'm not a Apple/AT&T employee....just a satisfied customer.

also wanted to add that luckily there are some good folks on this board that are very helpful.  i've been helped several times and am grateful.

Message Edited by ecugolf33 on 06-25-2009 10:07:38 AM

Re: For those complaining about Tethering charges....

[ Edited ]
2 of 39 (4,701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2009 10:07:55 AM
(0)
Scholar

i can honestly say that i hope apple takes a year off.  all this clutter on the boards from the elitist iPhone owners thinking they are entitled to something for nothing, or that the normal rules do not apply to them is getting real old.  and with the precedent being set that at&t will roll over to these demands I only hope that blackberry owners will rise up and require to be able to break their contract in order to get the newest phone out there.  but like you said ecugolf we all have a thing called common sense, not to mention knowing what it means to live up to your word and honor your contracts.  oh well here i go iPhone bashing, i just can't help it though.  I look at steven jobs and alli ever see is a whiny* little guy crying because Bill Gates took his software and made it into something first and got the big bucks doing so.  Now i am not a gates fan or jobs fan, nor as previously posted am i employed by apple or at&t.

*maybe that is where the iPhone users get the thought to whine, maybe it is something built into the phones, lol  Smiley Wink

also would point out that not all iPhone users are whiners and i applaud y'all that are not!

i can honestly say that i hope apple takes a year off.  all this clutter on the boards from the elitist iPhone owners thinking they are entitled to something for nothing, or that the normal rules do not apply to them is getting real old.  and with the precedent being set that at&t will roll over to these demands I only hope that blackberry owners will rise up and require to be able to break their contract in order to get the newest phone out there.  but like you said ecugolf we all have a thing called common sense, not to mention knowing what it means to live up to your word and honor your contracts.  oh well here i go iPhone bashing, i just can't help it though.  I look at steven jobs and alli ever see is a whiny* little guy crying because Bill Gates took his software and made it into something first and got the big bucks doing so.  Now i am not a gates fan or jobs fan, nor as previously posted am i employed by apple or at&t.

*maybe that is where the iPhone users get the thought to whine, maybe it is something built into the phones, lol  Smiley Wink

also would point out that not all iPhone users are whiners and i applaud y'all that are not!

3 of 39 (4,679 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2009 10:57:13 AM
(0)
Scholar

I could see your point if both the iPhone and the tethered device were accessing data simultaneously.  For example someone browsing, watching videos on the iPhone while another tethered device were doing the same. You are then actually increasing data usage significantly. With someone such as myself it would be used mainly as a means of using the larger display and keyboard of my laptop and even then only in very few situations. I can think of one time this year that I might have used tethering had it been available.

Still the actual fee is not known yet. If its reasonable then I dont have a problem but an additional $20 or $30 a month fee would be outrageous. $10 or less would be acceptable to me.

I could see your point if both the iPhone and the tethered device were accessing data simultaneously.  For example someone browsing, watching videos on the iPhone while another tethered device were doing the same. You are then actually increasing data usage significantly. With someone such as myself it would be used mainly as a means of using the larger display and keyboard of my laptop and even then only in very few situations. I can think of one time this year that I might have used tethering had it been available.

Still the actual fee is not known yet. If its reasonable then I dont have a problem but an additional $20 or $30 a month fee would be outrageous. $10 or less would be acceptable to me.

4 of 39 (4,647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2009 11:12:39 AM
(0)
Scholar

The problem is - there are going to be people that abuse the plan and ATT has to plan for all scenarios.

You might use it lightly - and your neighbor might be utorrenting up the ying-yang

And since I'm not positive ATT would be able to differentiate tether data vs regular data, they may have to charge something comperable ($30)

time will tell

The problem is - there are going to be people that abuse the plan and ATT has to plan for all scenarios.

You might use it lightly - and your neighbor might be utorrenting up the ying-yang

And since I'm not positive ATT would be able to differentiate tether data vs regular data, they may have to charge something comperable ($30)

time will tell

5 of 39 (4,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2009 11:19:22 AM
(0)
Mentor

i agree with you bmsrn.  i'm sure there are times that i'd use tethering (e.g., in an airport).  maybe AT&T can come up with a tiered pricing structure based on usage.  discounting the existing $30 data plan for light users would be a benefit but the current rate is acceptable to me.  i wouldn't pay more than $30 given my current usage just can't justify it. 

having the option to tether would be nice but none of the options we don't currently have are worth the constant whining people do on this board.  besides, tethering will be available soon.

clowry brought up another good point.  what happened to the time honored tradition of following through on a signed contract??  maybe an option to pay a reasonable fee to get out of your current contract with the promise of signing another 2 year agreement would be acceptable to some...just a thought.

i agree with you bmsrn.  i'm sure there are times that i'd use tethering (e.g., in an airport).  maybe AT&T can come up with a tiered pricing structure based on usage.  discounting the existing $30 data plan for light users would be a benefit but the current rate is acceptable to me.  i wouldn't pay more than $30 given my current usage just can't justify it. 

having the option to tether would be nice but none of the options we don't currently have are worth the constant whining people do on this board.  besides, tethering will be available soon.

clowry brought up another good point.  what happened to the time honored tradition of following through on a signed contract??  maybe an option to pay a reasonable fee to get out of your current contract with the promise of signing another 2 year agreement would be acceptable to some...just a thought.

6 of 39 (4,616 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2009 11:41:36 AM
(0)
Teacher

Samcraig...  I see your point.  But... I pay a flat 30 dollars a month from my Cable operator for unlimited internet, no matter how many computer I have on it.

I also pay for a 45 dollar Internet Plan compared to the 30, so all the devices on my family plan can have access to the internet including my Wife's phone.  So with your logic.  I should not have to pay extra for Tethering?  Correct?

I also pay 30 dollars for unlimited texting for all the devices on my family plan.  When you consider the small charge for whole sale airwaves, internet usage per any typical internet provider and the very minimal air time usage for a SMS message.   I think they are getting plenty of my money.

I don't disagree with you.  But I can not agree with you either.   There should be a middle ground on the tethering.

I love AT&T..  I have had great Service.  I love my iPhone.  I will keep buying them as long as they make them.  But I don't think tethering another device to my phone is going to swamp their network.

Samcraig...  I see your point.  But... I pay a flat 30 dollars a month from my Cable operator for unlimited internet, no matter how many computer I have on it.

I also pay for a 45 dollar Internet Plan compared to the 30, so all the devices on my family plan can have access to the internet including my Wife's phone.  So with your logic.  I should not have to pay extra for Tethering?  Correct?

I also pay 30 dollars for unlimited texting for all the devices on my family plan.  When you consider the small charge for whole sale airwaves, internet usage per any typical internet provider and the very minimal air time usage for a SMS message.   I think they are getting plenty of my money.

I don't disagree with you.  But I can not agree with you either.   There should be a middle ground on the tethering.

I love AT&T..  I have had great Service.  I love my iPhone.  I will keep buying them as long as they make them.  But I don't think tethering another device to my phone is going to swamp their network.

7 of 39 (4,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2009 12:03:06 PM
(0)
Guru

Coop1701 wrote:

You can not compare CABLE internet to Cellular Internet.  They are entirely 2 different things. Second, tethering accesses data differently than you browser on your phone does.  Again, entirely 2 different things.  Keep watching, Time Warner Cable, ComCast already are in the works to start charging you for USAGE.  The days of Unlimited Internet from your cable provider are soon to be over.

REALLY.. AT&T has a FAMILY UNLIMITED INTERNET plan?  Since when?  and for only $45.  I am getting @#$$# by them then, I pay 60 a month for just 2 iPhones on my Family Plan, and I have 3 other phones on it. I would love to have internet for all my phones.

One question for you, if you bought another smart phone, since it already has the capability of tethering, you would be paying for the phones ability to get on the internet (data plan) and if you tethered with it, you would be playing for that (tethering).  So, again, I agree, why do the APPLE iPhone people think they deserve better than the other smart phones.  The AT&T Tilt case just as much as the first iPhone did, but the people that bought it didn't get any breaks, so why should iPhone users?

Coop1701 wrote:

You can not compare CABLE internet to Cellular Internet.  They are entirely 2 different things. Second, tethering accesses data differently than you browser on your phone does.  Again, entirely 2 different things.  Keep watching, Time Warner Cable, ComCast already are in the works to start charging you for USAGE.  The days of Unlimited Internet from your cable provider are soon to be over.

REALLY.. AT&T has a FAMILY UNLIMITED INTERNET plan?  Since when?  and for only $45.  I am getting @#$$# by them then, I pay 60 a month for just 2 iPhones on my Family Plan, and I have 3 other phones on it. I would love to have internet for all my phones.

One question for you, if you bought another smart phone, since it already has the capability of tethering, you would be paying for the phones ability to get on the internet (data plan) and if you tethered with it, you would be playing for that (tethering).  So, again, I agree, why do the APPLE iPhone people think they deserve better than the other smart phones.  The AT&T Tilt case just as much as the first iPhone did, but the people that bought it didn't get any breaks, so why should iPhone users?

8 of 39 (4,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2009 12:08:19 PM
(0)
Expert

Coop1701 wrote:

I think you may be missing the point here.  You already have internet access for home so you DON'T NEED to tether.  But for those who do not, then they should pay a little more for that ADDED convenience, right?  And that is what we are talking about here -- convenience.  PC's will pull in more data than phones...generally speaking.  So that extra bandwidth should be paid for.  I have internet access at home, AND I pay for a PDA Data Plan.  Do I need both?  Probably not.  But if I'm out somewhere and need to look something up on the net or Google on my phone, I know I have it.  It's convenient.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

Coop1701 wrote:

I think you may be missing the point here.  You already have internet access for home so you DON'T NEED to tether.  But for those who do not, then they should pay a little more for that ADDED convenience, right?  And that is what we are talking about here -- convenience.  PC's will pull in more data than phones...generally speaking.  So that extra bandwidth should be paid for.  I have internet access at home, AND I pay for a PDA Data Plan.  Do I need both?  Probably not.  But if I'm out somewhere and need to look something up on the net or Google on my phone, I know I have it.  It's convenient.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

9 of 39 (4,558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2009 12:16:22 PM
(0)
Teacher

I can compare the 2...  Internet is internet.   The only thing that it's using extra of, is the signal which they got for free from the US Gov't. 

When I signed up for my Iphone.  I was given the option 30 dollars for unlimited internet or 45 for the Enterprise Internet access.   They sale rep explained they could share that in the same way you can get unlimited texts on a single line for 20 or on the family plan for 30.  I checked and the 45 dollar thing does not exist as a option anymore.   But it was, and my wife enjoys it.

I was not trying to provoke you into a arguement.  I'm just saying, I can compare different internet services.  Whether it be over the air, or via cable. 

I'm not planning on tethering anyway.  So in the grand scheme of things.  It doesn't matter to me.

I can compare the 2...  Internet is internet.   The only thing that it's using extra of, is the signal which they got for free from the US Gov't. 

When I signed up for my Iphone.  I was given the option 30 dollars for unlimited internet or 45 for the Enterprise Internet access.   They sale rep explained they could share that in the same way you can get unlimited texts on a single line for 20 or on the family plan for 30.  I checked and the 45 dollar thing does not exist as a option anymore.   But it was, and my wife enjoys it.

I was not trying to provoke you into a arguement.  I'm just saying, I can compare different internet services.  Whether it be over the air, or via cable. 

I'm not planning on tethering anyway.  So in the grand scheme of things.  It doesn't matter to me.

10 of 39 (4,547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2009 12:21:33 PM
(0)
Expert

Coop1701 wrote:

same thing with the blackberry

blackberry personal 35.00

blackberry w/ tethering 65.00 max 5gb

Coop1701 wrote:

same thing with the blackberry

blackberry personal 35.00

blackberry w/ tethering 65.00 max 5gb

11 of 39 (1,878 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2009 12:27:15 PM
(0)
Guru

Coop1701 wrote:

I know your not trying to provoke an arguement.  But if you say Internet is Internet. Your right, but Internet Access via the phone is not Internet Access via Cable Modem.  Also, your not paying for the INTERNET, your paying for ACCESS from some provider to the internet.  In this case, AT&T you pay for the service (Data Plan) for your phone to access the FREE internet. Understand what I am getting at?  I can understand how you feel that AT&T tells you that you have unlimited internet from your PHONE and you want that to mean from anything that is connected to your Phone also, but that is not how they work.  And there isn't anything stating they have to work that way.  They can charge you what ever they want to charge you. YOu always have a choice not to stay with AT&T....but my guess it's pretty much a standard for most cellular compains, they have a Data Plan and a Tethering Plan.  Kinda sucks, but it's life.

Coop1701 wrote:

I know your not trying to provoke an arguement.  But if you say Internet is Internet. Your right, but Internet Access via the phone is not Internet Access via Cable Modem.  Also, your not paying for the INTERNET, your paying for ACCESS from some provider to the internet.  In this case, AT&T you pay for the service (Data Plan) for your phone to access the FREE internet. Understand what I am getting at?  I can understand how you feel that AT&T tells you that you have unlimited internet from your PHONE and you want that to mean from anything that is connected to your Phone also, but that is not how they work.  And there isn't anything stating they have to work that way.  They can charge you what ever they want to charge you. YOu always have a choice not to stay with AT&T....but my guess it's pretty much a standard for most cellular compains, they have a Data Plan and a Tethering Plan.  Kinda sucks, but it's life.

12 of 39 (1,873 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2009 12:32:39 PM
(0)
Scholar
I still have to agree with the idea that it is wrong for them to charge us extra. The $30 I pay to have internet on my phone, even if its just my phone, maxes at about 1.5 meg download. Just for a good number, lets say I average 2 gig a month. Mute point, really, since its unlimited anyway. Now, why pay $30 more, to connect another device, max at 5 gig, and its going to slice your bandwith in half? At any rate, the PHONE is what is connected to their network, not the computer that is connected to the phone. Its still one device on their network, not 2. And still, its only going to ever transfer as much data as the PHONE allows, nothing more, nothing less. So again, why do we have to pay more, for a feature that is part of the device that was sold to us? IMO, its like buying a vehicle, and getting charged a usage fee to run the AC/Heat....but this is my opinion, and just to point out, its not just iPhone people that do not agree with this "method" of business.
I still have to agree with the idea that it is wrong for them to charge us extra. The $30 I pay to have internet on my phone, even if its just my phone, maxes at about 1.5 meg download. Just for a good number, lets say I average 2 gig a month. Mute point, really, since its unlimited anyway. Now, why pay $30 more, to connect another device, max at 5 gig, and its going to slice your bandwith in half? At any rate, the PHONE is what is connected to their network, not the computer that is connected to the phone. Its still one device on their network, not 2. And still, its only going to ever transfer as much data as the PHONE allows, nothing more, nothing less. So again, why do we have to pay more, for a feature that is part of the device that was sold to us? IMO, its like buying a vehicle, and getting charged a usage fee to run the AC/Heat....but this is my opinion, and just to point out, its not just iPhone people that do not agree with this "method" of business.

13 of 39 (1,864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2009 12:39:12 PM
(0)
Guru

circuitdragon wrote:

the 5GB limit is just for TETHERING...you still have UNLIMITED data for interent directly through the phone.

circuitdragon wrote:

the 5GB limit is just for TETHERING...you still have UNLIMITED data for interent directly through the phone.

14 of 39 (1,858 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2009 12:44:35 PM
(0)
Scholar

"The only thing that it's using extra of, is the signal which they got for free from the US Gov't. "

The bottom line is nothing is free.  ATT has employees, equipment, etc to pay for.  Water is free, but you pay for a utility to bring it to you. Perhaps not the best analogy though.

Point is - it does cost more - there's wear and tear on the network, more towers may need to b built to keep up with demand. More calls to technical support, more infrastructure within ATT's networks to handle usage/gatekeeping traffic, etc

Again - there's a price for everything.

as others have said - iphone users are no more special than anyone else.  Every other company and phone is subject to a tethering plan if you want to use it.

"The only thing that it's using extra of, is the signal which they got for free from the US Gov't. "

The bottom line is nothing is free.  ATT has employees, equipment, etc to pay for.  Water is free, but you pay for a utility to bring it to you. Perhaps not the best analogy though.

Point is - it does cost more - there's wear and tear on the network, more towers may need to b built to keep up with demand. More calls to technical support, more infrastructure within ATT's networks to handle usage/gatekeeping traffic, etc

Again - there's a price for everything.

as others have said - iphone users are no more special than anyone else.  Every other company and phone is subject to a tethering plan if you want to use it.

15 of 39 (1,853 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2009 12:49:54 PM
(0)
Master

Coop1701 wrote:

Nope. When you're out of your house, you can't use the internet from your house, right?

When you're at the airport, you can't get to internet through your house's connection, right? They don't make cords that long.

So it's not the same internet. One is FIXED. One is PORTABLE.

You're paying for the convenience of portability.

Believe me, until I got this into my head, I *HATED* the thought of paying $30 for a data plan, when I'm only paying $15 more for cable at home. But I can't take my home network with me to the restaurant Smiley Happy I'm paying for my convenience.

I don't use tethering myself. But I perfectly understand why it costs more to tether, since a computer easily uses more bandwidth than any phone. That EXTRA usage shouldn't be for free. I do agree that tethering should be tiered then capped at $30. I think most people would sign up for the tiered approach and then end up paying $30 anyway. Being locked in to paying $30 whether you use a lot or a little feels a lot different than "using more than $30 worth". Just perception.

Coop1701 wrote:

Nope. When you're out of your house, you can't use the internet from your house, right?

When you're at the airport, you can't get to internet through your house's connection, right? They don't make cords that long.

So it's not the same internet. One is FIXED. One is PORTABLE.

You're paying for the convenience of portability.

Believe me, until I got this into my head, I *HATED* the thought of paying $30 for a data plan, when I'm only paying $15 more for cable at home. But I can't take my home network with me to the restaurant Smiley Happy I'm paying for my convenience.

I don't use tethering myself. But I perfectly understand why it costs more to tether, since a computer easily uses more bandwidth than any phone. That EXTRA usage shouldn't be for free. I do agree that tethering should be tiered then capped at $30. I think most people would sign up for the tiered approach and then end up paying $30 anyway. Being locked in to paying $30 whether you use a lot or a little feels a lot different than "using more than $30 worth". Just perception.

Posted from my Samsung Captivate

16 of 39 (1,847 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 7:48:14 AM
(0)
Mentor

Well put. Speaking for the rest of us "with" common sense, we thank you for this post.

Well put. Speaking for the rest of us "with" common sense, we thank you for this post.

17 of 39 (1,744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 8:03:05 AM
(0)
Mentor
But when u tether ur internet for that one device get transferred to another device so in theory only one device is accessing the internet....
But when u tether ur internet for that one device get transferred to another device so in theory only one device is accessing the internet....

18 of 39 (1,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 8:32:56 AM
(0)
Scholar

Aye DH...aye...

the bandwith usage is and always will be limited to the phone. If the phone can only handle 1.5 meg download, that is all you get. This number does not magically change and go up just because you attach it to a computer. Think of the connection between the phone and towers as a pipe. Its one size, doesn't get bigger. You may only ask to have it half full, but the pipe stays the same. This is my arguement. From the "phone" plan, we are already paying for the pipe, and unlimited usage of it. Why, other than convience, should we pay to cut this "stream" in half between the phone and one other device? That is the arguement. As always, yes companies need cash flow to stay open. Bad comparision, but explain gas prices! Then again, guess we shouldbbe glad these things are subject to their price models.   Smiley Tongue  But at any rate, this is why I do not agree with the tethering plans. Now, I can see $5 for a set limit, $15 for maybe the 5 gig now, and full extra $30 for unlimited. That would get me on board! But the way it is now, I would go over in less than a week. Ok, thats pushing it, but makes the point. 

Aye DH...aye...

the bandwith usage is and always will be limited to the phone. If the phone can only handle 1.5 meg download, that is all you get. This number does not magically change and go up just because you attach it to a computer. Think of the connection between the phone and towers as a pipe. Its one size, doesn't get bigger. You may only ask to have it half full, but the pipe stays the same. This is my arguement. From the "phone" plan, we are already paying for the pipe, and unlimited usage of it. Why, other than convience, should we pay to cut this "stream" in half between the phone and one other device? That is the arguement. As always, yes companies need cash flow to stay open. Bad comparision, but explain gas prices! Then again, guess we shouldbbe glad these things are subject to their price models.   Smiley Tongue  But at any rate, this is why I do not agree with the tethering plans. Now, I can see $5 for a set limit, $15 for maybe the 5 gig now, and full extra $30 for unlimited. That would get me on board! But the way it is now, I would go over in less than a week. Ok, thats pushing it, but makes the point. 

19 of 39 (1,724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 10:15:50 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by boeyc15 on Jun 30, 2009 at 10:16:37 AM

I have to agree in that if I'm paying for up to 5 gig of data through put now, does it really matter where it ends up at? However, from ATT's point of view....

Two items for ATT to consider

1) They can charge extra for the tethering and whats the alternative for the consumer?

2) ATT probably assumed an 'average' iphone usage (which is no where near 5gig) per phone based on BB usage, and evidently iphone was 'way ' higher and caught them flat-footed

So now, what if they allowed tethering at say 'no charge'.(dream on) 

a) most likely 95% of iphone users will drop there home internet and if had ATT at home, ATT will lose that revenue

b) up there iphone usage even more... straining the ATT network even more.

Conclusion - ATT will charge 30 bucks for tethering (if they can tell your computer is hooked up)... sucks, but there it is.

Could there be an OS 3.01 update to help support ATT for this effort. Will be interesting.

Also, I do not like only unlimited data (in theory) plans. Options are always good.

IMO - Only the internet hounds are screaming when the providers offer limited data plans.

BTW- how much data is download when doing average websurfing... I have no idea.

Message Edited by boeyc15 on 06-30-2009 10:16:37 AM

I have to agree in that if I'm paying for up to 5 gig of data through put now, does it really matter where it ends up at? However, from ATT's point of view....

1) They can charge extra for the tethering and whats the alternative for the consumer?

2) ATT probably assumed an 'average' iphone usage (which is no where near 5gig) per phone based on BB usage, and evidently iphone was 'way ' higher and caught them flat-footed

a) most likely 95% of iphone users will drop there home internet and if had ATT at home, ATT will lose that revenue

Conclusion - ATT will charge 30 bucks for tethering (if they can tell your computer is hooked up)... sucks, but there it is.

Could there be an OS 3.01 update to help support ATT for this effort. Will be interesting.

Also, I do not like only unlimited data (in theory) plans. Options are always good.

IMO - Only the internet hounds are screaming when the providers offer limited data plans.

[ Edited ]
20 of 39 (1,693 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 10:20:52 AM
(0)
Expert

boeyc15 wrote:

Most of the providers charge extra for tethering  with caps.

I doubt that anytone in their right mind would cancel their home internet connection for tethering - I can blow the 5gb cap in 6 ISO downloads from MS technet and I have 5 machines hooked up to my current 18M connection

boeyc15 wrote:

Most of the providers charge extra for tethering  with caps.

I doubt that anytone in their right mind would cancel their home internet connection for tethering - I can blow the 5gb cap in 6 ISO downloads from MS technet and I have 5 machines hooked up to my current 18M connection

21 of 39 (1,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 10:26:04 AM
(0)
Professor
No doubt, I wouldn't cancel my home Internet, either. But I'd be willing to bet there'd be a solid percentage of people who would.

I'd think many people don't use 5G's worth of data, even with their home setups. I know I don't, and I doubt I'm alone.
No doubt, I wouldn't cancel my home Internet, either. But I'd be willing to bet there'd be a solid percentage of people who would.

I'd think many people don't use 5G's worth of data, even with their home setups. I know I don't, and I doubt I'm alone.

22 of 39 (1,482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 10:50:17 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by boeyc15 on Jun 30, 2009 at 10:51:08 AM

Wingrider... dare I say - You sir are a 'power user'. Smiley Very Happy

Yea, 95% is probably a bit high that would cancel, but I know many who would in  a heart beat. At home, myself, I get on a couple times a month and when some after work items come up.

In any case, would love to see a tiered usage plan with iphone.

If under x amount no charge(yes I'm dreaming), etc.

Message Edited by boeyc15 on 06-30-2009 10:50:55 AM
Message Edited by boeyc15 on 06-30-2009 10:51:08 AM

Yea, 95% is probably a bit high that would cancel, but I know many who would in  a heart beat. At home, myself, I get on a couple times a month and when some after work items come up.

[ Edited ]
23 of 39 (1,475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 11:34:42 AM
(0)
Tutor
I seem to remember regular broadband companies (dsl/cable) trying to charge for aditional devices behind the 1 device connected to the provider network (IE router) how did that work out for them....
I seem to remember regular broadband companies (dsl/cable) trying to charge for aditional devices behind the 1 device connected to the provider network (IE router) how did that work out for them....

24 of 39 (1,459 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 11:37:00 AM
(0)
Expert

boeyc15 wrote:

ok, lets add twitter, facebook,  hulu, vidoe on demand from Uverse, Directv, slingbox. even my kids old can blow that in a few hours on freerealms, or club penguin.

boeyc15 wrote:

ok, lets add twitter, facebook,  hulu, vidoe on demand from Uverse, Directv, slingbox. even my kids old can blow that in a few hours on freerealms, or club penguin.

25 of 39 (1,456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 12:02:18 PM
(0)
Master

I can almost guarantee you that tethering will be an additional $30....if they offer a price break to iPhone users tethering, then AT&T will have to reset prices on all their other tethering plans.  Perhaps they'll offer a limited use plan that'll be cheaper, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

bmsrn wrote:

I can almost guarantee you that tethering will be an additional $30....if they offer a price break to iPhone users tethering, then AT&T will have to reset prices on all their other tethering plans.  Perhaps they'll offer a limited use plan that'll be cheaper, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

bmsrn wrote:

26 of 39 (1,446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 12:04:39 PM
(0)
Master

And that would be an incorrect comparison between home and cellular Internet connections.  Internet is NOT Internet.  Mobile data is significantly more expensive to implement than terrestrial data, and you can't take your cable modem across the country and expect it to have service.

Coop1701 wrote:

And that would be an incorrect comparison between home and cellular Internet connections.  Internet is NOT Internet.  Mobile data is significantly more expensive to implement than terrestrial data, and you can't take your cable modem across the country and expect it to have service.

Coop1701 wrote:

27 of 39 (1,444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 12:08:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

BrianfromNO wrote:

I can almost guarantee you that tethering will be an additional $30....if they offer a price break to iPhone users tethering, then AT&T will have to reset prices on all their other tethering plans. 

You may well be right but I doubt that the $30 price is set in stone at this time.

BrianfromNO wrote:

I can almost guarantee you that tethering will be an additional $30....if they offer a price break to iPhone users tethering, then AT&T will have to reset prices on all their other tethering plans. 

You may well be right but I doubt that the $30 price is set in stone at this time.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

28 of 39 (1,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 12:36:53 PM
(0)
Teacher
yes but cellular data is cellular data. If I am paying for X $$ for x amount of data via cellular network at a certain bandwidth... what difference does it make what component is hook'd up to the cellular network(related to what the provider charges me).  I pay for data usage be  t voice, text, pictures or etc (over simplified but the general idea)
yes but cellular data is cellular data. If I am paying for X $$ for x amount of data via cellular network at a certain bandwidth... what difference does it make what component is hook'd up to the cellular network(related to what the provider charges me).  I pay for data usage be  t voice, text, pictures or etc (over simplified but the general idea)

29 of 39 (1,432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 12:56:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

here's my take on this;

I pay $30/month for "unlimited" data and got tagged another $15/month because I use my iPhone in a work capacity and have Exchange configured. Apparently "unlimited" doesn't mean exactly that to AT&T and the additional monthly is because Exchange is constantly accessing the Internet they say... Smiley Indifferent

So now they want to charge me an extra $30/month to do what I was told this device would do when I got it; tether for times when I am out in the field and need access. Fine... I'll pay that, but remove the $15 charge for Exchange, after all that is charging twice for the same service; now I'm only looking at an increase of $15 on my already $200/month service plan.

And I doubt I could suffer 3G long enough to not go find the nearest hotspot coffee shop to do anything more extensive than what is absolutely necessary in the field... 

here's my take on this;

I pay $30/month for "unlimited" data and got tagged another $15/month because I use my iPhone in a work capacity and have Exchange configured. Apparently "unlimited" doesn't mean exactly that to AT&T and the additional monthly is because Exchange is constantly accessing the Internet they say... Smiley Indifferent

So now they want to charge me an extra $30/month to do what I was told this device would do when I got it; tether for times when I am out in the field and need access. Fine... I'll pay that, but remove the $15 charge for Exchange, after all that is charging twice for the same service; now I'm only looking at an increase of $15 on my already $200/month service plan.

And I doubt I could suffer 3G long enough to not go find the nearest hotspot coffee shop to do anything more extensive than what is absolutely necessary in the field... 

30 of 39 (1,423 Views)