For some reason, AT&T cannot fix their mistake, and I'm getting thrown under the bus.

Contributor

For some reason, AT&T cannot fix their mistake, and I'm getting thrown under the bus.

Let me tell you about the nightmare I have had with AT&T just trying to add an additional line. In September, I ordered a refurbished iPhone 3GS and added a line. I had the handset sent to my son to activate in California. When he got the phone, the home button was not working. So, I called AT&T and was told he would have to send it back, the line would have to be taken off the account, and I would have to reorder another phone/line through the website.

So, we returned the phone as requested. While it was shipping back, I noticed they were charging me for the line already. I had to call and get a credit.

A week or so later, I called and was told to go ahead and order another phone and it would be sent to me with a new number. I ordered a new 3GS and had it shipped to me so I could activate it and forward it on to my son. I activated the phone with the new number and made sure it worked.  Before I sent it off to my son (a birthday present) I noticed I now had three lines still showing on my account; my line, the number belonging to the returned phone, and the new number. I go to the AT&T store and work with a manager who calls into Premier Support. The manager tells me they are going to auto cancel the line associated with the defective phone on Oct 21st, but he can transfer the number on a sim and my son can still use it with the replacement. Great, that's fine, I was okay with the new number but I this was good too. So, I get a sim, check the phone and send it off. I receive an email from Premier Support that the phone number associated with the second phone sent out has been cancelled and no ETF has been charged. This is on Oct, 18th, so far so good.

My son gets the phone, ON HIS BIRTHDAY, Oct 24, and boom..doesn't work... no service. Turns out the line that the manager gave me on the sim was cancelled on the 21st as he had said it was set to do. Why he did not stop that from cancelling, I don't know.

So, I call in again and after talking to five people who refused to help me and finally a nice CSR that was able to reactivate the line (the second, not the third).

A week later, I'm checking my new bill. They are billing me $390.00 for ETF/Service on the newest (and cancelled per the email)  line for the new phone because THEY APPLIED THE FIRST UPGRADE PHONE NUMBER TO IT! Now I'm on the phone with a floor sup and he says the only way i can get credit is to send MY SON'S PHONE BACK. So.. if I send the phone back, I will have two lines still on my account and only one phone. He also tells me that I can't send it back without the original packaging, which at this point, I don't even know if my son has!

So, AT&T sends my son a broken phone.

Then, thru error, causes my son to get a new phone with no service on his birthday.

And wants me to MAIL THE PHONE BACK IN THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING SO I CAN GET CREDIT FOR THE ETF, CANCEL THE LINE AGAIN AND REORDER THE PHONE AGAIN.

Now, I work in Customer Service for Chase Mortgage. I know that that in our company these types of issues can be fixed... there is no such thing as "no". From my perspective, the customer service is horrible. No one wants to take ownership of my issue and resolve it, even though I'm a TWO YEAR customer that pays my bill every month without an issue.

Message 1 of 3 (225 Views)
Professor

Re: For some reason, AT&T cannot fix their mistake, and I'm getting thrown under the bus.

Hope things will be straightened out soon.
Message 2 of 3 (211 Views)
Highlighted
Former Community Manager

Re: For some reason, AT&T cannot fix their mistake, and I'm getting thrown under the bus.

Hey Drew,

Sorry this has been so challenging. Smiley Sad

Will you please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you?

I will ask a member of our team to contact you directly to go over this whole situation and make sure we're on the right path. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 3 (190 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.