Focus update = Dead Focus

Teacher

Focus update = Dead Focus

So I was excited about the new Win7 phone update with copy & paste functionality.  I plugged it into my computer, ran the update, it got to "Rebooting phone" and that was the last time I saw my phone with any life. 

Now it's a brick... doesn't power on, I removed the battery, put it back in, nothing.  Tried holding the power button down at different time intervals and still nothing.

I called AT&T support and they're over nighting a new battery.... I really don't think that is the solution Smiley Mad

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Message 1 of 25 (1,257 Views)
Professor

Re: Focus update = Dead Focus

rld082982 wrote:

So I was excited about the new Win7 phone update with copy & paste functionality.  I plugged it into my computer, ran the update, it got to "Rebooting phone" and that was the last time I saw my phone with any life. 

Now it's a brick... doesn't power on, I removed the battery, put it back in, nothing.  Tried holding the power button down at different time intervals and still nothing.

I called AT&T support and they're over nighting a new battery.... I really don't think that is the solution Smiley Mad

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Did you try a hard reset?

1. Press and hold the Camera, Volume Down, and Power buttons simultaneously.

2. Release Power when the phone vibrates, but continue to hold down Camera and Volume Down.

3. Release Camera and Volume Down when the Format prompt is displayed on screen.

4. Press WP7 Windows button.

5. Press WP7 Windows button again to confirm the hard reset.

Message 2 of 25 (1,247 Views)
Teacher

That did not work, still no response from the unit Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 25 (1,242 Views)
Master

Are you upgrading from an almost-dead battery? It is rare that the bootloader also get hosed during the upgrade.

Message 4 of 25 (1,225 Views)
Teacher

The battery was at about 75% when I plugged it into the computer

Message 5 of 25 (1,209 Views)
Master

Sounds like you need to call up warranty service to get a replacement phone (refurbished).

Message 6 of 25 (1,204 Views)
Professor

The warranty replacement process is VERY easy. It is even easier if you are in a larger city and att wireless has a "Drop" location in your city. If that is the case you take your old phone to that att store and they simply replace it on the spot. You hae to have this authorized by att warranty service first.

Just call att wireless, ask for warranty service and ask for a warranty replacement. If they cannot provide drope service at your location, they will offer a mail with "core" return service. You get two options. Second day delivery for $14 added to your mobile bill or free 5 to 7 business day delivery. I THINK they also offered me overnight delivery for a price but I was traveling and could not make use of it.

You will HAVE to return your old core unit only with their pre paid box. You keep your old battery cover, headphones, charger etc.

The process is VERY easy. Be sure to ask if they have a drop location in your area and you can have a new phone TODAY.

Message 7 of 25 (1,195 Views)
Teacher

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunetly I already called them and they decided to send me a new battery instead!  Which I'm sure won't be of any use whatsoever.

Message 8 of 25 (1,187 Views)
Master

rld082982 wrote:

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunetly I already called them and they decided to send me a new battery instead!  Which I'm sure won't be of any use whatsoever.

If the replacement battery does not solve the problem, (I'm on your side; I don't think it will have any effect) you'll then know what to do. Warranty is calling your name.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 9 of 25 (1,158 Views)
Teacher

So FedEx says they delivered the battery but guess what... no battery in sight!  Had to call AT&T again they're sending another one even though I'm insisting that it's hard to believe it's the battery

Message 10 of 25 (1,108 Views)
Professor

Just walk into the nearest att that has a warranty center and replace the phone. When the battery arrives you can send it back. That's what I would do
Message 11 of 25 (901 Views)
Scholar

Seems to be their first fix, I had a Quantum that had issues after only having it a couple weeks and their answer was it must be the battery and they sent me a new battery overnight.. The phone was only 2 weeks old, I laughed and said the phone is only 2 weeks old how can the battery be bad already.. But I gave it a try, the battery wasn't the problem.. I have to say they were very nice about it all and agreed that if the battery didn't fix the problem it was the phone, guess it's easier and cheaper to send a battery and hope lol..
Message 12 of 25 (883 Views)
Mentor

Yes, had the problem Saturday night and had nothing to do with the update.  Phone just died.

Message 13 of 25 (861 Views)
Teacher

Got the battery.  Of course, it wasn't the solution to my problem... but who's surprised?!   I'll be going to the closest warranty place, an hour away, tomorrow and doing an exchange.

Message 14 of 25 (859 Views)
Master

Hopefully your next Focus will be better and can handle the update. Smiley Wink Let us know how it goes/went!

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 15 of 25 (823 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.