Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 20, 2011
8:04:47 AM
View profile
Focus update = Dead Focus

So I was excited about the new Win7 phone update with copy & paste functionality.  I plugged it into my computer, ran the update, it got to "Rebooting phone" and that was the last time I saw my phone with any life. 

Now it's a brick... doesn't power on, I removed the battery, put it back in, nothing.  Tried holding the power button down at different time intervals and still nothing.

I called AT&T support and they're over nighting a new battery.... I really don't think that is the solution Smiley Mad

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

So I was excited about the new Win7 phone update with copy & paste functionality.  I plugged it into my computer, ran the update, it got to "Rebooting phone" and that was the last time I saw my phone with any life. 

Now it's a brick... doesn't power on, I removed the battery, put it back in, nothing.  Tried holding the power button down at different time intervals and still nothing.

I called AT&T support and they're over nighting a new battery.... I really don't think that is the solution Smiley Mad

Focus update = Dead Focus

24 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(24)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2011 9:12:51 AM
(0)
Professor

rld082982 wrote:

Did you try a hard reset?

1. Press and hold the Camera, Volume Down, and Power buttons simultaneously.

2. Release Power when the phone vibrates, but continue to hold down Camera and Volume Down.

3. Release Camera and Volume Down when the Format prompt is displayed on screen.

4. Press WP7 Windows button.

5. Press WP7 Windows button again to confirm the hard reset.

rld082982 wrote:

Did you try a hard reset?

1. Press and hold the Camera, Volume Down, and Power buttons simultaneously.

2. Release Power when the phone vibrates, but continue to hold down Camera and Volume Down.

3. Release Camera and Volume Down when the Format prompt is displayed on screen.

4. Press WP7 Windows button.

5. Press WP7 Windows button again to confirm the hard reset.

Re: Focus update = Dead Focus

2 of 25 (920 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2011 9:17:59 AM
(0)
Teacher

That did not work, still no response from the unit Smiley Sad

That did not work, still no response from the unit Smiley Sad

3 of 25 (915 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2011 10:21:39 AM
(0)
Master

Are you upgrading from an almost-dead battery? It is rare that the bootloader also get hosed during the upgrade.

Are you upgrading from an almost-dead battery? It is rare that the bootloader also get hosed during the upgrade.

4 of 25 (898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2011 11:34:05 AM
(0)
Teacher

The battery was at about 75% when I plugged it into the computer

The battery was at about 75% when I plugged it into the computer

5 of 25 (882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2011 12:22:05 PM
(0)
Master

Sounds like you need to call up warranty service to get a replacement phone (refurbished).

Sounds like you need to call up warranty service to get a replacement phone (refurbished).

6 of 25 (877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2011 12:59:14 PM
(0)
Professor

The warranty replacement process is VERY easy. It is even easier if you are in a larger city and att wireless has a "Drop" location in your city. If that is the case you take your old phone to that att store and they simply replace it on the spot. You hae to have this authorized by att warranty service first.

Just call att wireless, ask for warranty service and ask for a warranty replacement. If they cannot provide drope service at your location, they will offer a mail with "core" return service. You get two options. Second day delivery for $14 added to your mobile bill or free 5 to 7 business day delivery. I THINK they also offered me overnight delivery for a price but I was traveling and could not make use of it.

You will HAVE to return your old core unit only with their pre paid box. You keep your old battery cover, headphones, charger etc.

The process is VERY easy. Be sure to ask if they have a drop location in your area and you can have a new phone TODAY.

The warranty replacement process is VERY easy. It is even easier if you are in a larger city and att wireless has a "Drop" location in your city. If that is the case you take your old phone to that att store and they simply replace it on the spot. You hae to have this authorized by att warranty service first.

Just call att wireless, ask for warranty service and ask for a warranty replacement. If they cannot provide drope service at your location, they will offer a mail with "core" return service. You get two options. Second day delivery for $14 added to your mobile bill or free 5 to 7 business day delivery. I THINK they also offered me overnight delivery for a price but I was traveling and could not make use of it.

You will HAVE to return your old core unit only with their pre paid box. You keep your old battery cover, headphones, charger etc.

The process is VERY easy. Be sure to ask if they have a drop location in your area and you can have a new phone TODAY.

7 of 25 (868 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2011 1:13:31 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunetly I already called them and they decided to send me a new battery instead!  Which I'm sure won't be of any use whatsoever.

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunetly I already called them and they decided to send me a new battery instead!  Which I'm sure won't be of any use whatsoever.

8 of 25 (860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2011 5:11:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

rld082982 wrote:

If the replacement battery does not solve the problem, (I'm on your side; I don't think it will have any effect) you'll then know what to do. Warranty is calling your name.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

rld082982 wrote:

If the replacement battery does not solve the problem, (I'm on your side; I don't think it will have any effect) you'll then know what to do. Warranty is calling your name.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 25 (831 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2011 10:58:26 AM
(0)
Teacher

So FedEx says they delivered the battery but guess what... no battery in sight!  Had to call AT&T again they're sending another one even though I'm insisting that it's hard to believe it's the battery

So FedEx says they delivered the battery but guess what... no battery in sight!  Had to call AT&T again they're sending another one even though I'm insisting that it's hard to believe it's the battery

10 of 25 (781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2011 3:39:07 PM
(0)
Professor
Just walk into the nearest att that has a warranty center and replace the phone. When the battery arrives you can send it back. That's what I would do
Just walk into the nearest att that has a warranty center and replace the phone. When the battery arrives you can send it back. That's what I would do

11 of 25 (574 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2011 5:43:17 AM
(0)
Scholar
Seems to be their first fix, I had a Quantum that had issues after only having it a couple weeks and their answer was it must be the battery and they sent me a new battery overnight.. The phone was only 2 weeks old, I laughed and said the phone is only 2 weeks old how can the battery be bad already.. But I gave it a try, the battery wasn't the problem.. I have to say they were very nice about it all and agreed that if the battery didn't fix the problem it was the phone, guess it's easier and cheaper to send a battery and hope lol..
Seems to be their first fix, I had a Quantum that had issues after only having it a couple weeks and their answer was it must be the battery and they sent me a new battery overnight.. The phone was only 2 weeks old, I laughed and said the phone is only 2 weeks old how can the battery be bad already.. But I gave it a try, the battery wasn't the problem.. I have to say they were very nice about it all and agreed that if the battery didn't fix the problem it was the phone, guess it's easier and cheaper to send a battery and hope lol..

12 of 25 (556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2011 12:04:06 PM
(0)
Mentor

Yes, had the problem Saturday night and had nothing to do with the update.  Phone just died.

Yes, had the problem Saturday night and had nothing to do with the update.  Phone just died.

13 of 25 (534 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2011 12:19:14 PM
(0)
Teacher

Got the battery.  Of course, it wasn't the solution to my problem... but who's surprised?!   I'll be going to the closest warranty place, an hour away, tomorrow and doing an exchange.

Got the battery.  Of course, it wasn't the solution to my problem... but who's surprised?!   I'll be going to the closest warranty place, an hour away, tomorrow and doing an exchange.

14 of 25 (532 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2011 3:19:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Hopefully your next Focus will be better and can handle the update. Smiley Wink Let us know how it goes/went!

Hopefully your next Focus will be better and can handle the update. Smiley Wink Let us know how it goes/went!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

15 of 25 (496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2011 6:48:44 AM
(0)
Teacher

So, I drove an hour to the closest warranty place on Saturday, and they confirmed that it was dead and gave me a new Focus... problem solved! 

I did have a 16gb memory card in my old Focus, the girl at the warranty facility told me that I have to format it before I put it into my new Focus.. which I haven't done yet..   She knew what she was talking about though I assume?  I do have to format it before I put it in the new Focus?

So, I drove an hour to the closest warranty place on Saturday, and they confirmed that it was dead and gave me a new Focus... problem solved! 

I did have a 16gb memory card in my old Focus, the girl at the warranty facility told me that I have to format it before I put it into my new Focus.. which I haven't done yet..   She knew what she was talking about though I assume?  I do have to format it before I put it in the new Focus?

16 of 25 (473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2011 6:59:24 AM
(0)
Expert

rld082982 wrote:

If you can yes, the focus does a raid 0 extension to the SD card, it formats both the internal 8gb card and what ever external card you put in as one contiguous storage location.

rld082982 wrote:

If you can yes, the focus does a raid 0 extension to the SD card, it formats both the internal 8gb card and what ever external card you put in as one contiguous storage location.

17 of 25 (471 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2011 7:13:14 AM
(0)
Teacher

Will I have to format the phone as well when I put the card in?

18 of 25 (468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2011 11:30:06 AM
(0)
Expert

rld082982 wrote:

If I understand you right you need to do the exact same steps that you did when you got your original phone and installed the card, all data on the card will be lost. Look at the owners manual for the focus on how to hard format the storage

rld082982 wrote:

If I understand you right you need to do the exact same steps that you did when you got your original phone and installed the card, all data on the card will be lost. Look at the owners manual for the focus on how to hard format the storage

19 of 25 (447 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2011 7:22:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
It's good that they took care of you on this. I'm glad to hear that your dilemma is now finally solved.

I believe wingrider01 is right. You are basically starting out with a fresh phone. That involves refreshing the memory card to be completely functional.

It's good that they took care of you on this. I'm glad to hear that your dilemma is now finally solved.

I believe wingrider01 is right. You are basically starting out with a fresh phone. That involves refreshing the memory card to be completely functional.

20 of 25 (433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 8:01:15 AM
(0)
Teacher

So it turns out that my 16gb micro SD card was wiped out as well.  The phone doesn't detect it, and neither does any SD card reader I've tried.... unbelievable

So it turns out that my 16gb micro SD card was wiped out as well.  The phone doesn't detect it, and neither does any SD card reader I've tried.... unbelievable

Re: Focus update = Dead Focu

21 of 25 (458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 9:41:01 AM
(0)
Expert

rld082982 wrote:

the phone will not detect it until you do a hard format on the unit, no other sd reader with the exception of certain Nokia phones will be able to reformat the cared. This is the draw back of the way the phone OS handles, it does not see it as a standalone storage, if will format the internal card and the added card as a single storage device.

It is more of a addon style storage and not a removable form. You HAVE to hard reformat the phone

http://www.technipages.com/samsung-focus-doesnt-detect-sd-card.html

rld082982 wrote:

the phone will not detect it until you do a hard format on the unit, no other sd reader with the exception of certain Nokia phones will be able to reformat the cared. This is the draw back of the way the phone OS handles, it does not see it as a standalone storage, if will format the internal card and the added card as a single storage device.

It is more of a addon style storage and not a removable form. You HAVE to hard reformat the phone

http://www.technipages.com/samsung-focus-doesnt-detect-sd-card.html

22 of 25 (448 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 10:38:56 AM
(0)
Teacher

But shouldn't the card work in a normal SD card reader?  I understand that the phone doesn't recognize it, but I would think a USB SD card reader would?  I just want to make sure I have all of my stuff off the card before I format it in the phone by doing a hard reset

But shouldn't the card work in a normal SD card reader?  I understand that the phone doesn't recognize it, but I would think a USB SD card reader would?  I just want to make sure I have all of my stuff off the card before I format it in the phone by doing a hard reset

23 of 25 (446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 10:59:53 AM
(0)
Expert

rld082982 wrote:

No, it does not have any infromation on the device, that information is written to the first segement of the data storage - which is still in the phone. You are not going to be able to get the data off the card with normal means, it might even be that all the data is not there, since the tracks are split between your old focus and the card. This is well docmuented on the net, a unfortunate method of doing it, but it is the easiest way - rather then having a 8GB storage device and a 16GB sitrage device you have one storage device that is 24GB in size

rld082982 wrote:

No, it does not have any infromation on the device, that information is written to the first segement of the data storage - which is still in the phone. You are not going to be able to get the data off the card with normal means, it might even be that all the data is not there, since the tracks are split between your old focus and the card. This is well docmuented on the net, a unfortunate method of doing it, but it is the easiest way - rather then having a 8GB storage device and a 16GB sitrage device you have one storage device that is 24GB in size

24 of 25 (437 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 11:06:12 AM
(0)
Teacher

Rawr!!!!!!!!  So annoying!

Ok, thanks a lot for your patience Smiley Happy  I guess I will wipe out my phone.. and start over.. again! 

Rawr!!!!!!!!  So annoying!

Ok, thanks a lot for your patience Smiley Happy  I guess I will wipe out my phone.. and start over.. again! 

25 of 25 (435 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments