Focus update = Dead Focus

Teacher

Focus update = Dead Focus

So I was excited about the new Win7 phone update with copy & paste functionality.  I plugged it into my computer, ran the update, it got to "Rebooting phone" and that was the last time I saw my phone with any life. 

Now it's a brick... doesn't power on, I removed the battery, put it back in, nothing.  Tried holding the power button down at different time intervals and still nothing.

I called AT&T support and they're over nighting a new battery.... I really don't think that is the solution Smiley Mad

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Message 1 of 25 (1,256 Views)
Teacher

Re: Focus update = Dead Focus

So, I drove an hour to the closest warranty place on Saturday, and they confirmed that it was dead and gave me a new Focus... problem solved! 

I did have a 16gb memory card in my old Focus, the girl at the warranty facility told me that I have to format it before I put it into my new Focus.. which I haven't done yet..   She knew what she was talking about though I assume?  I do have to format it before I put it in the new Focus?

Message 16 of 25 (800 Views)
Expert

rld082982 wrote:

So, I drove an hour to the closest warranty place on Saturday, and they confirmed that it was dead and gave me a new Focus... problem solved! 

I did have a 16gb memory card in my old Focus, the girl at the warranty facility told me that I have to format it before I put it into my new Focus.. which I haven't done yet..   She knew what she was talking about though I assume?  I do have to format it before I put it in the new Focus?

If you can yes, the focus does a raid 0 extension to the SD card, it formats both the internal 8gb card and what ever external card you put in as one contiguous storage location.

Message 17 of 25 (798 Views)
Teacher

Will I have to format the phone as well when I put the card in?

Message 18 of 25 (795 Views)
Expert

rld082982 wrote:

Will I have to format the phone as well when I put the card in?

If I understand you right you need to do the exact same steps that you did when you got your original phone and installed the card, all data on the card will be lost. Look at the owners manual for the focus on how to hard format the storage

Message 19 of 25 (774 Views)
Master

It's good that they took care of you on this. I'm glad to hear that your dilemma is now finally solved.

I believe wingrider01 is right. You are basically starting out with a fresh phone. That involves refreshing the memory card to be completely functional.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 20 of 25 (760 Views)
Teacher

Re: Focus update = Dead Focu

So it turns out that my 16gb micro SD card was wiped out as well.  The phone doesn't detect it, and neither does any SD card reader I've tried.... unbelievable

Message 21 of 25 (785 Views)
Expert

rld082982 wrote:

So it turns out that my 16gb micro SD card was wiped out as well.  The phone doesn't detect it, and neither does any SD card reader I've tried.... unbelievable

the phone will not detect it until you do a hard format on the unit, no other sd reader with the exception of certain Nokia phones will be able to reformat the cared. This is the draw back of the way the phone OS handles, it does not see it as a standalone storage, if will format the internal card and the added card as a single storage device.

It is more of a addon style storage and not a removable form. You HAVE to hard reformat the phone

http://www.technipages.com/samsung-focus-doesnt-detect-sd-card.html

Message 22 of 25 (775 Views)
Teacher

But shouldn't the card work in a normal SD card reader?  I understand that the phone doesn't recognize it, but I would think a USB SD card reader would?  I just want to make sure I have all of my stuff off the card before I format it in the phone by doing a hard reset

Message 23 of 25 (773 Views)
Expert

rld082982 wrote:

But shouldn't the card work in a normal SD card reader?  I understand that the phone doesn't recognize it, but I would think a USB SD card reader would?  I just want to make sure I have all of my stuff off the card before I format it in the phone by doing a hard reset

No, it does not have any infromation on the device, that information is written to the first segement of the data storage - which is still in the phone. You are not going to be able to get the data off the card with normal means, it might even be that all the data is not there, since the tracks are split between your old focus and the card. This is well docmuented on the net, a unfortunate method of doing it, but it is the easiest way - rather then having a 8GB storage device and a 16GB sitrage device you have one storage device that is 24GB in size

Message 24 of 25 (764 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Rawr!!!!!!!!  So annoying!

Ok, thanks a lot for your patience Smiley Happy  I guess I will wipe out my phone.. and start over.. again! 

Message 25 of 25 (762 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.